IndiaDivine.org

My Intro / What I cooked yesterday........

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi Mary and welcome.

I am off work looking after my kids this week, so I have been "dabbling" in the kitchen.

I picked up a butternut squash and some sweet potatoes that were reduced in the supermarket, so Tuesday I have roasted (with garlic & cumin) butternut squash with a chickpea/roasted pepper tagine and cous cous, yesterday it was a spinach & chickpea & roasted squassh curry, and made a sweet potato pie, but to be honest, sort of made it up, as it is a bit strange..............not sure whether I like it or not.....

Peter vv

Mary <MaryChristo Sent: Wednesday, 6 August, 2008 10:57:03 PM My Intro

Hi,

I've been a vegan since May. It has been an easy transition. I really don't know what took me so long. My husband is an omnivore but he likes vegan recipes so dinner time is fine! I have a son who is a vegetarian. He is leaving for Boston University for his first year of college in a few weeks. My daughter is 22 and lives about an hour away from me.

The biggest problem I have had since going vegan is when I go to restaurants. We got out rather frequently. Admittedly I am rather reserved and not about to bug the kitchen to make changes for me. I do try to chose restaurants wisely though sometimes that isn't possible when we are going out with friends who have their hearts set on a particular place.

I love to cook. Preparing vegan recipes has been a new adventure... .to a certain extent. When my kids were little we mostly ate vegan because we couldn't afford meat. Actually it wasn't unusual because as an Italian I grew up with greens, beans and pasta. I do love the newer cookbooks and recipes. I admit I am having a lot of fun experimenting!

As for me....I'm 49 and a retired home care nurse. I have many hobbies....cooking, running, biking, woodcarving, reading....to name a few. I live in the Finger Lakes area of NY

Mary

Not happy with your email address?

Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

Guest guest

been eating out far too often at herbivore lately.....

but today we made burritoes....

nuthin exciting, but good and filling

Peter VV Aug 7, 2008 12:11 AM Re: My Intro / What I cooked yesterday........

Hi Mary and welcome.

I am off work looking after my kids this week, so I have been "dabbling" in the kitchen.

I picked up a butternut squash and some sweet potatoes that were reduced in the supermarket, so Tuesday I have roasted (with garlic & cumin) butternut squash with a chickpea/roasted pepper tagine and cous cous, yesterday it was a spinach & chickpea & roasted squassh curry, and made a sweet potato pie, but to be honest, sort of made it up, as it is a bit strange..............not sure whether I like it or not.....

Peter vv

Mary <MaryChristo > Sent: Wednesday, 6 August, 2008 10:57:03 PM My Intro

Hi,

I've been a vegan since May. It has been an easy transition. I really don't know what took me so long. My husband is an omnivore but he likes vegan recipes so dinner time is fine! I have a son who is a vegetarian. He is leaving for Boston University for his first year of college in a few weeks. My daughter is 22 and lives about an hour away from me.

The biggest problem I have had since going vegan is when I go to restaurants. We got out rather frequently. Admittedly I am rather reserved and not about to bug the kitchen to make changes for me. I do try to chose restaurants wisely though sometimes that isn't possible when we are going out with friends who have their hearts set on a particular place.

I love to cook. Preparing vegan recipes has been a new adventure... .to a certain extent. When my kids were little we mostly ate vegan because we couldn't afford meat. Actually it wasn't unusual because as an Italian I grew up with greens, beans and pasta. I do love the newer cookbooks and recipes. I admit I am having a lot of fun experimenting!

As for me....I'm 49 and a retired home care nurse. I have many hobbies....cooking, running, biking, woodcarving, reading....to name a few. I live in the Finger Lakes area of NY

Mary

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Guest guest

Has anyone a "proper" recipe for sweet potato pie? I think I put too much cinamon in mine, doesnt seem to taste of anything else. I am determined to finish it though, hate paying for all the ingredients ( maple syup aint cheap over here!).

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Friday, 8 August, 2008 12:26:32 AMRe: My Intro / What I cooked yesterday........

been eating out far too often at herbivore lately.....

but today we made burritoes... .

nuthin exciting, but good and filling

Peter VV Aug 7, 2008 12:11 AM @gro ups.com Re: My Intro / What I cooked yesterday... .....

Hi Mary and welcome.

I picked up a butternut squash and some sweet potatoes that were reduced in the supermarket, so Tuesday I have roasted (with garlic & cumin) butternut squash with a chickpea/roasted pepper tagine and cous cous, yesterday it was a spinach & chickpea & roasted squassh curry, and made a sweet potato pie, but to be honest, sort of made it up, as it is a bit strange..... ......... not sure whether I like it or not.....

Peter vv

Mary <MaryChristo@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comWednesday, 6 August, 2008 10:57:03 PM My Intro

Hi,

Mary

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Guest guest

At 6:21 AM +0000 8/8/08, Peter VV wrote:

Has anyone a " proper " recipe for sweet potato pie? I

think I put too much cinamon in mine, doesnt seem to taste of anything

else. I am determined to finish it though, hate paying for all the

ingredients ( maple syup aint cheap over here!).

>>

I haven't tried this pie myself, but it's from Jennifer Raymond,

who used to teach cooking classes around here and who has written a

few cookbooks. Her recipes are always reliable and have been tested

many times. I had this on file because someone on my alumni list was

looking for vegan thanksgiving recipes last year, both for the

daughter who was coming home from college, and for the adults who were

trying to lose weight. I sent several of Jennifer's recipes, as well

as the Vegan with a Vengeance link and a few others. They made this

pie and loved it.

YAM PIE

Similar in flavor to pumpkin pie, this tasty dessert

is a rich source of beta-carotene.

2 medium yams

1/3 cup sugar

3 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ginger

1/8 teaspoon cloves

1/8 teaspoon salt

1-1/2 cups soymilk

1 Fat-Free Pie Crust (recipe follows)

Peel the yams and cut them into 1-inch

chunks. Steam in a covered pot over boiling water until tender when

pierced with a fork, about 40 minutes. Mash, leaving some chunks. You

should have about 2 cups.

Preheat the oven to 350° F.

In a mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar,

cornstarch, spices, and salt, then stir in the soymilk and mashed

yams. Pour into the pre-baked fat-free crust or an unbaked 9" or 10"

standard pie crust and bake for 35 minutes. Cool before cutting. Makes

8 Servings.

FAT-FREE PIE CRUST

(Makes one 9" crust)

1 cup Grape Nuts cereal (nuggets)

1/4 cup apple juice concentrate (undiluted)

Preheat the oven to 350° F.

Mix together the Grape Nuts and apple juice

concentrate. Pat into a thin layer on the bottom and sides of a 9"

pie pan. Don't worry if there are some gaps. Bake for 8 minutes.

Cool before filling.

Per (2-inch Slice)Serving with Fat-Free Pie Crust: 158 Cal; 1/2 g

Total Fat; 36 g Carb; 152 mg Sodium; 3 g Protein. Exchanges: 2

Starch.

Per (2-inch Slice) Serving with Conventional Crust: 261 Cal; 8 g Total

Fat; 42 g Carb; 155 mg Sodium; 4 g Protein. Exchanges: 3 Starch; 2

Fat.

Per (2-inch Slice) Serving Fat-Free Crust Only: 68 Cal; Trace of Fat;

15 g Carb; 97 mg Sodium; 2 g Protein. Exchanges: 1 Starch.

THis was also in my holiday recipe file -- looks like an

interesting variation.

http://www.care2.com/c2c/groups/disc.html?gpp=4524 & pst=623723 & archival= & posts=17

Harvest Vegetable Shepherd's Pie with Orange Mashed Yams

From The Whole Foods Market Cookbook

Shepherd's pie was originally created in Canterbury, England as a

means of using up leftover Sunday roast, so it's traditionally made

with ground beef or lamb. We created this vegetarian recipe as a

hearty vegetable dish suited for holiday gatherings, although, as it

turns out, this dish is popular all year long. The orange mashed

potato crust makes a fabulous topping for this pie. If you wish, make

a classic mashed potato topping or use a favorite packaged variety.

Both the filling and topping may be made two days prior to assembling.

Harvest Vegetable Shepherd's Pie is especially inviting when baked in

a ceramic or earthenware dish.

Serves 6

* 1 lb tempeh

* 2 TB canola oil

* 1 cup onions, chopped

* 1 cup carrots, chopped

* 1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves, minced (or 1/4 tsp dried)

* 1 lb new potatoes, peeled, 1/2-inch square dice

* 3 cups vegetable stock

* 3 TB tamari or soy sauce

* 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed

* 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed

* 1/2 tsp salt

* 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

* 1 TB cornstarch

* 1/4 cup water or stock

* 11/2 tsp fresh sage, chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried)

* 4 cups orange mashed yams

* 1/2 cup sliced almonds

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Crumble the tempeh into pieces that

resemble cooked ground beef.

Heat the canola oil over medium-high heat in a large sauté pan. Add

the tempeh, onions and carrots; cook until the onions are translucent,

3 to 5 minutes. Add the thyme, potatoes, vegetable stock and tamari.

Simmer this mixture until the potatoes are cooked but still firm, 15

to 20 minutes. Stir in the peas, corn, salt, and pepper. Bring to a

simmer. Combine the cornstarch in a small bowl with the water until

smooth. Add the cornstarch slurry to the simmering vegetables,

stirring constantly. Stir in the fresh sage.

Place the filling in a 9-inch pie plate or oven proof casserole dish.

Top with 4 cups prepared Orange Mashed Yams. Sprinkle the pie

with the sliced almonds. Bake the pie for 25 to 30 minutes until the

yams and almonds are golden brown and the filling is bubbling.

Nutrition Info

Per Serving (including mashed yam crust): calories 790; calories from

fat 200; calories from saturated fat 20; protein 37g; carbohydrate

135g; total fat 22g; saturated fat 2.5g; cholesterol 0 mg; sodium 1130

mg; 25% calories from fat

Guest guest

Seems simular to the one I tried, apart from mine had maple syrup in it, and didnt have any cornstarch or arrowroot. I roasted my pots in the oven first.

Peter vv

"yarrow" <yarrow Sent: Friday, 8 August, 2008 9:40:05 AMRe: My Intro / What I cooked yesterday........

Has anyone a "proper" recipe for sweet potato pie? I think I put too much cinamon in mine, doesnt seem to taste of anything else. I am determined to finish it though, hate paying for all the ingredients ( maple syup aint cheap over here!).

>>

I haven't tried this pie myself, but it's from Jennifer Raymond, who used to teach cooking classes around here and who has written a few cookbooks. Her recipes are always reliable and have been tested many times. I had this on file because someone on my alumni list was looking for vegan thanksgiving recipes last year, both for the daughter who was coming home from college, and for the adults who were trying to lose weight. I sent several of Jennifer's recipes, as well as the Vegan with a Vengeance link and a few others. They made this pie and loved it.

____________ _________ _________ __

YAM PIESimilar in flavor to pumpkin pie, this tasty dessertis a rich source of beta-carotene.2 medium yams1/3 cup sugar3 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder1/2 teaspoon cinnamon1/4 teaspoon ginger1/8 teaspoon cloves1/8 teaspoon salt1-1/2 cups soymilk1 Fat-Free Pie Crust (recipe follows) Peel the yams and cut them into 1-inch chunks. Steam in a covered pot over boiling water until tender when pierced with a fork, about 40 minutes. Mash, leaving some chunks. You should have about 2 cups. Preheat the oven to 350° F. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, spices, and salt, then stir in the soymilk and mashed yams. Pour into the pre-baked fat-free crust or an unbaked 9" or 10" standard pie crust and bake for 35 minutes. Cool before cutting. Makes 8 Servings.FAT-FREE PIE

CRUST(Makes one 9" crust)1 cup Grape Nuts cereal (nuggets)1/4 cup apple juice concentrate (undiluted) Preheat the oven to 350° F. Mix together the Grape Nuts and apple juice concentrate. Pat into a thin layer on the bottom and sides of a 9" pie pan. Don't worry if there are some gaps. Bake for 8 minutes. Cool before filling.Per (2-inch Slice)Serving with Fat-Free Pie Crust: 158 Cal; 1/2 g Total Fat; 36 g Carb; 152 mg Sodium; 3 g Protein. Exchanges: 2 Starch.Per (2-inch Slice) Serving with Conventional Crust: 261 Cal; 8 g Total Fat; 42 g Carb; 155 mg Sodium; 4 g Protein. Exchanges: 3 Starch; 2 Fat.Per (2-inch Slice) Serving Fat-Free Crust Only: 68 Cal; Trace of Fat; 15 g Carb; 97 mg Sodium; 2 g Protein. Exchanges: 1 Starch.

THis was also in my holiday recipe file -- looks like an interesting variation.

____________ _________ _________ _

http://www.care2. com/c2c/groups/ disc.html? gpp=4524 & pst=623723 & archival= & posts=17Harvest Vegetable Shepherd's Pie with Orange Mashed YamsFrom The Whole Foods Market CookbookShepherd's pie was originally created in Canterbury, England as a means of using up leftover Sunday roast, so it's traditionally made with ground beef or lamb. We created this vegetarian recipe as a hearty vegetable dish suited for holiday gatherings, although, as it turns out, this dish is popular all year long. The orange mashed potato crust makes a fabulous topping for this pie. If you wish, make a classic mashed potato topping or use a favorite packaged variety. Both the filling and topping may be made two days prior to assembling. Harvest Vegetable Shepherd's Pie is especially inviting when baked in a ceramic or earthenware dish.Serves 6* 1 lb tempeh* 2 TB canola oil* 1 cup onions, chopped* 1 cup

carrots, chopped* 1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves, minced (or 1/4 tsp dried)* 1 lb new potatoes, peeled, 1/2-inch square dice* 3 cups vegetable stock* 3 TB tamari or soy sauce* 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed* 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed* 1/2 tsp salt* 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper* 1 TB cornstarch* 1/4 cup water or stock* 11/2 tsp fresh sage, chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried)* 4 cups orange mashed yams* 1/2 cup sliced almonds

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Crumble the tempeh into pieces that resemble cooked ground beef.

Heat the canola oil over medium-high heat in a large sauté pan. Add the tempeh, onions and carrots; cook until the onions are translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the thyme, potatoes, vegetable stock and tamari. Simmer this mixture until the potatoes are cooked but still firm, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in the peas, corn, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Combine the cornstarch in a small bowl with the water until smooth. Add the cornstarch slurry to the simmering vegetables, stirring constantly. Stir in the fresh sage.Place the filling in a 9-inch pie plate or oven proof casserole dish. Top with 4 cups prepared Orange Mashed Yams. Sprinkle the pie with the sliced almonds. Bake the pie for 25 to 30 minutes until the yams and almonds are golden brown and the filling is bubbling.Nutrition InfoPer Serving (including mashed yam crust): calories 790; calories from fat 200; calories from saturated fat 20; protein 37g;

carbohydrate 135g; total fat 22g; saturated fat 2.5g; cholesterol 0 mg; sodium 1130 mg; 25% calories from fat

Guest guest

Did you use the grape nuts and apple juice? Very unusual??--- On Fri, 8/8/08, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

Peter VV <swpgh01Re: My Intro / What I cooked yesterday........ Date: Friday, August 8, 2008, 4:36 AM

Seems simular to the one I tried, apart from mine had maple syrup in it, and didnt have any cornstarch or arrowroot. I roasted my pots in the oven first.

Peter vv

"yarrow (AT) sfo (DOT) com" <yarrow@gro ups.comFriday, 8 August, 2008 9:40:05 AMRe: My Intro / What I cooked yesterday... .....

>>

I haven't tried this pie myself, but it's from Jennifer Raymond, who used to teach cooking classes around here and who has written a few cookbooks. Her recipes are always reliable and have been tested many times. I had this on file because someone on my alumni list was looking for vegan thanksgiving recipes last year, both for the daughter who was coming home from college, and for the adults who were trying to lose weight. I sent several of Jennifer's recipes, as well as the Vegan with a Vengeance link and a few others. They made this pie and loved it.

YAM PIESimilar in flavor to pumpkin pie, this tasty dessertis a rich source of beta-carotene.2 medium yams1/3 cup sugar3 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder1/2 teaspoon cinnamon1/4 teaspoon ginger1/8 teaspoon cloves1/8 teaspoon salt1-1/2 cups soymilk1 Fat-Free Pie Crust (recipe follows) Peel the yams and cut them into 1-inch chunks. Steam in a covered pot over boiling water until tender when pierced with a fork, about 40 minutes. Mash, leaving some chunks. You should have about 2 cups. Preheat the oven to 350° F. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, spices, and salt, then stir in the soymilk and mashed yams. Pour into the pre-baked fat-free crust or an unbaked 9" or 10" standard pie crust and bake for 35 minutes. Cool before cutting. Makes 8 Servings.FAT-FREE PIE

CRUST(Makes one 9" crust)1 cup Grape Nuts cereal (nuggets)1/4 cup apple juice concentrate (undiluted) Preheat the oven to 350° F. Mix together the Grape Nuts and apple juice concentrate. Pat into a thin layer on the bottom and sides of a 9" pie pan. Don't worry if there are some gaps. Bake for 8 minutes. Cool before filling.Per (2-inch Slice)Serving with Fat-Free Pie Crust: 158 Cal; 1/2 g Total Fat; 36 g Carb; 152 mg Sodium; 3 g Protein. Exchanges: 2 Starch.Per (2-inch Slice) Serving with Conventional Crust: 261 Cal; 8 g Total Fat; 42 g Carb; 155 mg Sodium; 4 g Protein. Exchanges: 3 Starch; 2 Fat.Per (2-inch Slice) Serving Fat-Free Crust Only: 68 Cal; Trace of Fat; 15 g Carb; 97 mg Sodium; 2 g Protein. Exchanges: 1 Starch.

http://www.care2. com/c2c/groups/ disc.html? gpp=4524 & pst=623723 & archival= & posts=17Harvest Vegetable Shepherd's Pie with Orange Mashed YamsFrom The Whole Foods Market CookbookShepherd's pie was originally created in Canterbury, England as a means of using up leftover Sunday roast, so it's traditionally made with ground beef or lamb. We created this vegetarian recipe as a hearty vegetable dish suited for holiday gatherings, although, as it turns out, this dish is popular all year long. The orange mashed potato crust makes a fabulous topping for this pie. If you wish, make a classic mashed potato topping or use a favorite packaged variety. Both the filling and topping may be made two days prior to assembling. Harvest Vegetable Shepherd's Pie is especially inviting when baked in a ceramic or earthenware dish.Serves 6* 1 lb tempeh* 2 TB canola oil* 1 cup onions, chopped* 1 cup

carrots, chopped* 1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves, minced (or 1/4 tsp dried)* 1 lb new potatoes, peeled, 1/2-inch square dice* 3 cups vegetable stock* 3 TB tamari or soy sauce* 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed* 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed* 1/2 tsp salt* 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper* 1 TB cornstarch* 1/4 cup water or stock* 11/2 tsp fresh sage, chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried)* 4 cups orange mashed yams* 1/2 cup sliced almonds

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Crumble the tempeh into pieces that resemble cooked ground beef.

Heat the canola oil over medium-high heat in a large sauté pan. Add the tempeh, onions and carrots; cook until the onions are translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the thyme, potatoes, vegetable stock and tamari. Simmer this mixture until the potatoes are cooked but still firm, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in the peas, corn, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Combine the cornstarch in a small bowl with the water until smooth. Add the cornstarch slurry to the simmering vegetables, stirring constantly. Stir in the fresh sage.Place the filling in a 9-inch pie plate or oven proof casserole dish. Top with 4 cups prepared Orange Mashed Yams. Sprinkle the pie with the sliced almonds. Bake the pie for 25 to 30 minutes until the yams and almonds are golden brown and the filling is bubbling.Nutrition InfoPer Serving (including mashed yam crust): calories 790; calories from fat 200; calories from saturated fat 20; protein 37g;

carbohydrate 135g; total fat 22g; saturated fat 2.5g; cholesterol 0 mg; sodium 1130 mg; 25% calories from fat

Guest guest

wouldnt know a grape nut if it leapt up and bit my ass? , and no apple juice, just soya milk, maple syrup, oil , molases and spices. Oh and the pots.

Peter vv

echolike <echolike Sent: Friday, 8 August, 2008 10:46:29 AMRe: My Intro / What I cooked yesterday........

Did you use the grape nuts and apple juice? Very unusual??--- On Fri, 8/8/08, Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> wrote:

Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com>Re: My Intro / What I cooked yesterday... .....@gro ups.comFriday, August 8, 2008, 4:36 AM

Peter vv

"yarrow (AT) sfo (DOT) com" <yarrow@gro ups.comFriday, 8 August, 2008 9:40:05 AMRe: My Intro / What I cooked yesterday... .....

>>