IndiaDivine.org

Goodbye, Double Dutch Dinette

Rate this topic

Guest guest

http://laist.com/2008/08/10/photo_essay_goodbye_double_dutch_di.php

I live on the Westside. I like it pretty well. It's cooler (temperature-wise) and a little less...precious than the Eastside. I like the Eastside -- it attracts a higher number of cooler (and less expensive) bars, restaurants and boutiques. It's just a fact. Sometimes, I take a 'staycation' and spend the day over there. But when I want a little of that without circling the whole city on the freeway to get there, I go to the Double Dutch Dinette. It was a nice balance to the wonderful, but most assuredly bourgeois places popping up all over Culver City.

Personal cheesecake.

NEXT »

Mostly, they serve lunch, sandwiches, salads, a smattering of desserts. Always a little off center, but finely made. They had vegan dishes that made you forget meat and milk, and sometimes had entire vegan suppers.

But now our halcyon Double Dutch days are over. Some problem with the landlord has caused DDD to remove to the Eastside. I was there on Friday for their last meal. It was lunch and I had a perfect turkey meatloaf sandwich, tender, on a crusty, toasted wheat roll. In honor of the day, we ordered dessert, blueberry cheesecake. They came like individual tarts, with perfect crust -- not too graham crackery, mild, vanilla cheesecake filling, and fresh blueberries made into a sauce over it. Because the had only two left, they gave us one free, so we each had our own. We ate till our teeth and lips turned blue, like Culver City without the Double Dutch Dinette.

Keep up with Jennie Cook and her food (restaurants and a catering company) on their website (though it's in sore need of updating).

Photos by Jacy for LAist.

By Jacy Young in Food

Peter vv

Not happy with your email address?

Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at