IndiaDivine.org

wooden spoons

Rate this topic

Guest guest

he is good at that

i swear he makes popcorn for these sorta things and just giggles to himself

*sticks tongue out at peter vv*

Peter Aug 13, 2008 2:24 PM Re: Coffee... a history

And a wooden spoon award goes to Peter VV for adroit stirring....

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 9:47 PM

Re: Coffee... a history

I do believe the gauntlet is down?

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Wednesday, 13 August, 2008 9:37:21 PMRe: Coffee... a history

alright there mr peter, you brought this up a long time ago..about native americans coming from europe and all

pleasey please can ya post the facts/footnotes/ links to this?

genetic analysis has always shown from everything i've ever seen that the first nations are genetically derived from asians, be it eastern asia or the pacific rim

Peter Aug 13, 2008 11:24 AM @gro ups.com Re: Coffee... a history

Hi Peter

Well, depends on which story you believe. Vespucci was actually a navigator on one of the early vessels that chanced upon the islands off the American continent... however, the idea that America was named after him was invented by a bunch of monks in the Alsace region of France in about 1525 (headed by "Mercator", the guy who drew all the maps) - they drew the "Mappa Mundi", and labelled the new continent "America". In a footnote, they suggested that it may have been named after Amerigo Vespucci, but they didn't seem very sure.

I'm quite astonished, with your love of all things Welsh, that you haven't grabbed onto the suggestion that America was named after Richard Ap Merick, a Welshman who was the clerk of Bristol that handed Cabot the money to make his first voyage. Personally, I quite like the idea that it was named after the Manichean name for the Morning Star "Merica", which rose to the West, and marked the land to the West where souls go when people die.

But who actually "discovered" America as far as Europeans were concerned... . ignoring those pesky "Native Americans", who seem to have come from Europe in about 10,000 BC, there's the Irish monks who claim to have found it in the 5th century, then the Vikings who discovered "Vinland" (and even had a bishop of Vinland recognised by the Vatican in the 11th century!), then Henry Sinclair discovered it for Scotland in 1398, then Cristobal Colon in the early 1490s discovered it for Italy (I gather that he later changed his name and became a film producer ;-)). John Cabot followed on a couple of years later, discovering it for England.

I's amazing just how many times one place can be discovered!! !!

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 6:29 PM

We discovered America? I thought it was Mr Vespuci? I dont think he was from these shores?

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comWednesday, 13 August, 2008 8:42:11 AM Coffee... a history

OK, I take it back - Coffee was around Europe long before we officially discovered America!

http://www.teluspla net.net/public/ coffee/history. htm

BB

PeterSend instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger .

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Hey Frag, you a Maori or something?

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Wednesday, 13 August, 2008 11:00:56 PMRe: wooden spoons

he is good at that

i swear he makes popcorn for these sorta things and just giggles to himself

*sticks tongue out at peter vv*

Peter Aug 13, 2008 2:24 PM @gro ups.com Re: Coffee... a history

And a wooden spoon award goes to Peter VV for adroit stirring....

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 9:47 PM

I do believe the gauntlet is down?

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>@gro ups.comWednesday, 13 August, 2008 9:37:21 PMRe: Coffee... a history

alright there mr peter, you brought this up a long time ago..about native americans coming from europe and all

pleasey please can ya post the facts/footnotes/ links to this?

genetic analysis has always shown from everything i've ever seen that the first nations are genetically derived from asians, be it eastern asia or the pacific rim

Peter Aug 13, 2008 11:24 AM @gro ups.com Re: Coffee... a history

Hi Peter

Well, depends on which story you believe. Vespucci was actually a navigator on one of the early vessels that chanced upon the islands off the American continent... however, the idea that America was named after him was invented by a bunch of monks in the Alsace region of France in about 1525 (headed by "Mercator", the guy who drew all the maps) - they drew the "Mappa Mundi", and labelled the new continent "America". In a footnote, they suggested that it may have been named after Amerigo Vespucci, but they didn't seem very sure.

I'm quite astonished, with your love of all things Welsh, that you haven't grabbed onto the suggestion that America was named after Richard Ap Merick, a Welshman who was the clerk of Bristol that handed Cabot the money to make his first voyage. Personally, I quite like the idea that it was named after the Manichean name for the Morning Star "Merica", which rose to the West, and marked the land to the West where souls go when people die.

But who actually "discovered" America as far as Europeans were concerned... . ignoring those pesky "Native Americans", who seem to have come from Europe in about 10,000 BC, there's the Irish monks who claim to have found it in the 5th century, then the Vikings who discovered "Vinland" (and even had a bishop of Vinland recognised by the Vatican in the 11th century!), then Henry Sinclair discovered it for Scotland in 1398, then Cristobal Colon in the early 1490s discovered it for Italy (I gather that he later changed his name and became a film producer ;-)). John Cabot followed on a couple of years later, discovering it for England.

I's amazing just how many times one place can be discovered!! !!

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 6:29 PM

We discovered America? I thought it was Mr Vespuci? I dont think he was from these shores?

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comWednesday, 13 August, 2008 8:42:11 AM Coffee... a history

OK, I take it back - Coffee was around Europe long before we officially discovered America!

http://www.teluspla net.net/public/ coffee/history. htm

BB

PeterSend instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger .

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger .

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.