IndiaDivine.org

fraggle and peter... a history

Rate this topic

Guest guest

ah, the mitchondrial haploid X thing

old research by now....

thats the thing about genetic research, its like a new computer, by the time you publish it (or buy a new one in the case of computers), its basically already obsolete...

they found X in the Altaian people of southern siberian, and another group near by...begins with a B, i want to say Bakai, but hat's not it..something like that tho

anywho, Haploid X was found in a couple different "turkic" descended folks in southern siberia, so, throws it right back into the migrations waves across the bering

Peter Aug 13, 2008 2:19 PM Re: Coffee... a history

Hi Fraggle

Check out New Scientist, 17 October 1998.

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 9:37 PM

Re: Coffee... a history

alright there mr peter, you brought this up a long time ago..about native americans coming from europe and all

pleasey please can ya post the facts/footnotes/links to this?

genetic analysis has always shown from everything i've ever seen that the first nations are genetically derived from asians, be it eastern asia or the pacific rim

Peter Aug 13, 2008 11:24 AM Re: Coffee... a history

Hi Peter

Well, depends on which story you believe. Vespucci was actually a navigator on one of the early vessels that chanced upon the islands off the American continent... however, the idea that America was named after him was invented by a bunch of monks in the Alsace region of France in about 1525 (headed by "Mercator", the guy who drew all the maps) - they drew the "Mappa Mundi", and labelled the new continent "America". In a footnote, they suggested that it may have been named after Amerigo Vespucci, but they didn't seem very sure.

I'm quite astonished, with your love of all things Welsh, that you haven't grabbed onto the suggestion that America was named after Richard Ap Merick, a Welshman who was the clerk of Bristol that handed Cabot the money to make his first voyage. Personally, I quite like the idea that it was named after the Manichean name for the Morning Star "Merica", which rose to the West, and marked the land to the West where souls go when people die.

But who actually "discovered" America as far as Europeans were concerned.... ignoring those pesky "Native Americans", who seem to have come from Europe in about 10,000 BC, there's the Irish monks who claim to have found it in the 5th century, then the Vikings who discovered "Vinland" (and even had a bishop of Vinland recognised by the Vatican in the 11th century!), then Henry Sinclair discovered it for Scotland in 1398, then Cristobal Colon in the early 1490s discovered it for Italy (I gather that he later changed his name and became a film producer ;-)). John Cabot followed on a couple of years later, discovering it for England.

I's amazing just how many times one place can be discovered!!!!

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 6:29 PM

We discovered America? I thought it was Mr Vespuci? I dont think he was from these shores?

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab > Sent: Wednesday, 13 August, 2008 8:42:11 AM Coffee... a history

OK, I take it back - Coffee was around Europe long before we officially discovered America!

http://www.teluspla net.net/public/ coffee/history. htm

BB

PeterSend instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Hi Fraggle

Maybe so - but surely the whole idea of the Behring migrations is based on the fundamental premise that the people back then were too thick to build decent boats! It's simply a theory that has existed since the times they assumed that everyone from the past was a complete idiot, and DNA wasn't even known about.

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 10:59 PM

Re: fraggle and peter... a history

old research by now....

thats the thing about genetic research, its like a new computer, by the time you publish it (or buy a new one in the case of computers), its basically already obsolete...

they found X in the Altaian people of southern siberian, and another group near by...begins with a B, i want to say Bakai, but hat's not it..something like that tho

anywho, Haploid X was found in a couple different "turkic" descended folks in southern siberia, so, throws it right back into the migrations waves across the bering

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

alright there mr peter, you brought this up a long time ago..about native americans coming from europe and all

genetic analysis has always shown from everything i've ever seen that the first nations are genetically derived from asians, be it eastern asia or the pacific rim

Hi Peter

Well, depends on which story you believe. Vespucci was actually a navigator on one of the early vessels that chanced upon the islands off the American continent... however, the idea that America was named after him was invented by a bunch of monks in the Alsace region of France in about 1525 (headed by "Mercator", the guy who drew all the maps) - they drew the "Mappa Mundi", and labelled the new continent "America". In a footnote, they suggested that it may have been named after Amerigo Vespucci, but they didn't seem very sure.

I'm quite astonished, with your love of all things Welsh, that you haven't grabbed onto the suggestion that America was named after Richard Ap Merick, a Welshman who was the clerk of Bristol that handed Cabot the money to make his first voyage. Personally, I quite like the idea that it was named after the Manichean name for the Morning Star "Merica", which rose to the West, and marked the land to the West where souls go when people die.

But who actually "discovered" America as far as Europeans were concerned.... ignoring those pesky "Native Americans", who seem to have come from Europe in about 10,000 BC, there's the Irish monks who claim to have found it in the 5th century, then the Vikings who discovered "Vinland" (and even had a bishop of Vinland recognised by the Vatican in the 11th century!), then Henry Sinclair discovered it for Scotland in 1398, then Cristobal Colon in the early 1490s discovered it for Italy (I gather that he later changed his name and became a film producer ;-)). John Cabot followed on a couple of years later, discovering it for England.

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

We discovered America? I thought it was Mr Vespuci? I dont think he was from these shores?

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab > Sent: Wednesday, 13 August, 2008 8:42:11 AM Coffee... a history

OK, I take it back - Coffee was around Europe long before we officially discovered America!

BB

Alright Mr Fraggle

If we're going to play a game of "I know more than you do *sticking tongue out*", then I'm going to have to insist that you play by your own rules... what's your source?

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

old research by now....

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Peter vv

BB

Hi Fraggle

Small additional PS... Haploid X is a breed of potato, not a DNA strand!

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

old research by now....

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Peter vv

BB

Hi Fraggle

Right - found the information from an up to date source. It's Haplogroup X, not Haploid X. It's the fifth, and smallest strand of mDNA so far discovered in NAs, being found in around 6 to 10 tribes in Eastern America, and around 3% of the total NA population. The only other peoples who share that mDNA are Western Europeans, and one tribe in Siberia (the Altaians). The ones that you were struggling to find beginning with B were "basque", who are largely based in Spain and surrounding areas. The reason the basque stand out is because they were a later discovery than other Europeans.

Also worth noting that the mDNA of tha Altaians is incredibly complex, showing a very healthy mix of Eastern and Western haplogroups. Haplogroup X is one of 8 haplogroups in their DNA which originates from Western Europe, compared to four from the East. The Altaian people migrated to Siberia from China in the 19th century, but before that their history is unknown.

There are two current theories. One is that the Haplogroup X people migrated across Asia, not interbreeding with anyone from Asia except in a fairly hefty detour to China, before crossing the Behring land bridge, and then travelling the entire breadth of America without interbreeding with any of the native tribes. The other is that they took boats from Western Europe and settled on the West Coast of America, while the one tribe from China somehow acquired the mDNA in an unconnected event. If we get out of the mindset of assuming that our ancestors were idiots, and recognise that current theory is very happy with the idea that haplogroup B made it to America by boat from Japan, then the latter is by far the most sensible option, and occam's razor would seem to apply.

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

old research by now....

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Peter vv

BB

true

but, traveling from france in a coracle does seem a bit much tis all, along ice flows

atlantic ocean ain't exactly a happy lil pond

*shrug*

Peter Aug 13, 2008 3:10 PM Re: fraggle and peter... a history

Hi Fraggle

Maybe so - but surely the whole idea of the Behring migrations is based on the fundamental premise that the people back then were too thick to build decent boats! It's simply a theory that has existed since the times they assumed that everyone from the past was a complete idiot, and DNA wasn't even known about.

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

old research by now....

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Peter vv

BB

haploid means a cell or the like with half the number of normal chromosomes, 23 in humans instead of 46...so like gametes..

or, in this case

mitochondria...

the whole genetic thing about amerindians, first nations folks having european genetic markers comes from this.

they mapped the mitochondrial haploids of a large section of various native tribes, and almost all have haploid groups abcd, a few have haploid group X, which was thought non-existant in asian groups, although 4% of europeans have this haploid grouping

then they discovered a couple siberian peoples that had haploid x in their make up

since mitochondrial dna onlly get passed down from the mother, it leaves a clearer picture for many studies.

Peter Aug 13, 2008 11:40 PM Re: fraggle and peter... a history

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

old research by now....

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Peter vv

BB

nah, it wasn't the basques..it was another group, i can't recall.

guess if i wasn't lazy i'd g trolling for it

and, went from western europe to to western north america? i assume you meant eastern north america....

otherwise, that would be one heck of a boat ride!

Peter Aug 14, 2008 12:16 AM Re: fraggle and peter... a history

Hi Fraggle

Right - found the information from an up to date source. It's Haplogroup X, not Haploid X. It's the fifth, and smallest strand of mDNA so far discovered in NAs, being found in around 6 to 10 tribes in Eastern America, and around 3% of the total NA population. The only other peoples who share that mDNA are Western Europeans, and one tribe in Siberia (the Altaians). The ones that you were struggling to find beginning with B were "basque", who are largely based in Spain and surrounding areas. The reason the basque stand out is because they were a later discovery than other Europeans.

Also worth noting that the mDNA of tha Altaians is incredibly complex, showing a very healthy mix of Eastern and Western haplogroups. Haplogroup X is one of 8 haplogroups in their DNA which originates from Western Europe, compared to four from the East. The Altaian people migrated to Siberia from China in the 19th century, but before that their history is unknown.

There are two current theories. One is that the Haplogroup X people migrated across Asia, not interbreeding with anyone from Asia except in a fairly hefty detour to China, before crossing the Behring land bridge, and then travelling the entire breadth of America without interbreeding with any of the native tribes. The other is that they took boats from Western Europe and settled on the West Coast of America, while the one tribe from China somehow acquired the mDNA in an unconnected event. If we get out of the mindset of assuming that our ancestors were idiots, and recognise that current theory is very happy with the idea that haplogroup B made it to America by boat from Japan, then the latter is by far the most sensible option, and occam's razor would seem to apply.

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

old research by now....

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Peter vv

BB

Hi Fraggle

If you travel round the top way, Scotland, Orkneys, Iceland, Greenland, America, you're never very far from land... particularly before the 1930s when a whole bunch of islands sank!

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:36 PM

true

but, traveling from france in a coracle does seem a bit much tis all, along ice flows

*shrug*

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

old research by now....

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Peter vv

BB

Hi Fraggle

Yep - that is the meaning of haploid... but humans aren't haploid. Apparently things like ants are, but humans are diploid. The only time we have haploid DNA is before the egg and sperm join together (so Katy reliably informs me!!!!)

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:48 PM

haploid means a cell or the like with half the number of normal chromosomes, 23 in humans instead of 46...so like gametes..

or, in this case

mitochondria...

the whole genetic thing about amerindians, first nations folks having european genetic markers comes from this.

they mapped the mitochondrial haploids of a large section of various native tribes, and almost all have haploid groups abcd, a few have haploid group X, which was thought non-existant in asian groups, although 4% of europeans have this haploid grouping

then they discovered a couple siberian peoples that had haploid x in their make up

since mitochondrial dna onlly get passed down from the mother, it leaves a clearer picture for many studies.

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

old research by now....

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Peter vv

BB

Hi Fraggle

I did mean East coast of America... thought I'd changed that before sending (having realised I'd got East and West muddled), but obviously didn't!!!!

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:53 PM

and, went from western europe to to western north america? i assume you meant eastern north america....

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

old research by now....

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Peter vv

BB

Anyone following this?

There will be a test later, so pay attention!

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab Sent: Thursday, 14 August, 2008 7:06:05 PMRe: fraggle and peter... a history

Hi Fraggle

Yep - that is the meaning of haploid... but humans aren't haploid. Apparently things like ants are, but humans are diploid. The only time we have haploid DNA is before the egg and sperm join together (so Katy reliably informs me!!!!)

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

@gro ups.com

or, in this case

mitochondria. ..

Peter Aug 13, 2008 11:40 PM @gro ups.com Re: fraggle and peter... a history

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

@gro ups.com

old research by now....

Peter Aug 13, 2008 2:19 PM @gro ups.com Re: Coffee... a history

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

@gro ups.com

pleasey please can ya post the facts/footnotes/ links to this?

Peter Aug 13, 2008 11:24 AM @gro ups.com Re: Coffee... a history

Hi Peter

But who actually "discovered" America as far as Europeans were concerned... . ignoring those pesky "Native Americans", who seem to have come from Europe in about 10,000 BC, there's the Irish monks who claim to have found it in the 5th century, then the Vikings who discovered "Vinland" (and even had a bishop of Vinland recognised by the Vatican in the 11th century!), then Henry Sinclair discovered it for Scotland in 1398, then Cristobal Colon in the early 1490s discovered it for Italy (I gather that he later changed his name and became a film producer ;-)). John Cabot followed on a couple of years later, discovering it for England.

I's amazing just how many times one place can be discovered!! !!

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comWednesday, 13 August, 2008 8:42:11 AM Coffee... a history

BB

PeterSend instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger .

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Now you`ve shattered my illusions of you being the intelligencia amongst us! dont do it again! that mistake will cost you 2 weeks detention.

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab Sent: Thursday, 14 August, 2008 7:07:23 PMRe: fraggle and peter... a history

Hi Fraggle

I did mean East coast of America... thought I'd changed that before sending (having realised I'd got East and West muddled), but obviously didn't!!!!

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

@gro ups.com

Peter Aug 14, 2008 12:16 AM @gro ups.com Re: fraggle and peter... a history

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

@gro ups.com

old research by now....

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

@gro ups.com

Hi Peter

But who actually "discovered" America as far as Europeans were concerned... . ignoring those pesky "Native Americans", who seem to have come from Europe in about 10,000 BC, there's the Irish monks who claim to have found it in the 5th century, then the Vikings who discovered "Vinland" (and even had a bishop of Vinland recognised by the Vatican in the 11th century!), then Henry Sinclair discovered it for Scotland in 1398, then Cristobal Colon in the early 1490s discovered it for Italy (I gather that he later changed his name and became a film producer ;-)). John Cabot followed on a couple of years later, discovering it for England.

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comWednesday, 13 August, 2008 8:42:11 AM Coffee... a history

BB

Yep - me - although I'm not keen on the test idea :-)

Jo

-

Peter VV

Thursday, August 14, 2008 7:10 PM

Anyone following this?

There will be a test later, so pay attention!

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab > Sent: Thursday, 14 August, 2008 7:06:05 PMRe: fraggle and peter... a history

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

@gro ups.com

or, in this case

mitochondria. ..

Peter Aug 13, 2008 11:40 PM @gro ups.com Re: fraggle and peter... a history

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

@gro ups.com

old research by now....

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

@gro ups.com

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv

BB

but if we are talking 10,000 or plus years ago, wasn't that all under tons of ice?

Peter Aug 14, 2008 11:04 AM Re: fraggle and peter... a history

Hi Fraggle

If you travel round the top way, Scotland, Orkneys, Iceland, Greenland, America, you're never very far from land... particularly before the 1930s when a whole bunch of islands sank!

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:36 PM

true

*shrug*

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

old research by now....

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Peter vv

BB

isn't mitochondrail DNA (or mtDNA) haploid as well?

i thought that was why it was so useful in certain areas

Peter Aug 14, 2008 11:06 AM Re: fraggle and peter... a history

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

or, in this case

mitochondria...

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

old research by now....

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Peter vv

BB

well, west coast would have been more interesting!

it would certainly turn a lot of anthropolical and archealogical tenets totally on their head if a european raft or coracle was discovered in tera del fuego or some such

Peter Aug 14, 2008 11:07 AM Re: fraggle and peter... a history

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

old research by now....

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Peter vv

BB

there's plenty of time to rest later

there's skipping and hopping and bouncing to be done!

ok...unemployment must be getting to me

fraggle

"jo.heartwork" Aug 14, 2008 1:06 PM Re: fraggle and peter... a history

He could probably do with a rest for a couple of weeks.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Thursday, August 14, 2008 7:12 PM

Now you`ve shattered my illusions of you being the intelligencia amongst us! dont do it again! that mistake will cost you 2 weeks detention.

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab > Sent: Thursday, 14 August, 2008 7:07:23 PMRe: fraggle and peter... a history

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

@gro ups.com

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

@gro ups.com

old research by now....

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

@gro ups.com

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv

BB

LOl - well if you feel like skipping and hopping and bouncing, then don't let me stop you.

Jo

-

fraggle

Friday, August 15, 2008 5:36 PM

there's plenty of time to rest later

there's skipping and hopping and bouncing to be done!

ok...unemployment must be getting to me

fraggle

"jo.heartwork" Aug 14, 2008 1:06 PM Re: fraggle and peter... a history

He could probably do with a rest for a couple of weeks.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Thursday, August 14, 2008 7:12 PM

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab > Sent: Thursday, 14 August, 2008 7:07:23 PMRe: fraggle and peter... a history

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

@gro ups.com

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

@gro ups.com

old research by now....

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

@gro ups.com

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv

BB