IndiaDivine.org

[Vegan-To-Go in the Financial District

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Thu Aug 14, 2008 at 12:12:18 PM

By Catherine McCulloch

Sandwiched between the chain eateries of the financial district is Power Source, a vegan-friendly juice bar and café. It’s a convenient option for a working vegan who doesn’t have time to pack lunch. The prices are a bit steep, as you would expect of any café in the area, but the food is fresh and fabulously nutritious!

The place is small and the seating is limited but the friendly servers and brightly colored walls make for a pleasant lunch environment. I ordered a build-your-own-bowl with quinoa, steamed broccoli and tofu flavored with a miso ginger sauce. I also sampled their mung beans and oven-baked sweat potatoes. The meal was filling and the vegetables were fresh and delicious. The protein from the quinoa and tofu definitely gave me some much needed energy that lasted throughout the day.

I wanted to try a Power Source juice and the girl working behind the register suggested "motor oil," a mixture of carrots, beets, celery, spinach, cucumbers and parsley. I loved it! I was so excited by my discovery that I took it home with me for my Berkeley friends to try. They were not as enthused about it as I was. In fact, they thought it was disgusting. So I guess the motor oil isn’t for everyone, just those of us with more refined taste buds...

This mostly-organic café is family-run and most of its produce is locally grown. Their to-go containers, utensils and cups are biodegradable and they offer a discount to customers who bring their own containers. The café is powered by renewable energy it purchases through a company called Village Green Energy. It was featured in Common Grounds Magazine this month for its efforts in sustainability. The café serves breakfast and lunch Monday through Friday. Doors open at 7 a.m. and close at 3:30 p.m. I will definitely be returning there shortly...maybe even tomorrow!

Power Source Cafe81 Fremont Street(415) 896-1312

Peter vvSend instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

i'm going to SF today, maybe i'll check it out if i get a chance

thanx peter...

cheers

fraggle

Peter VV Aug 14, 2008 1:41 PM Re: [Vegan-To-Go in the Financial District

By Catherine McCulloch

Sandwiched between the chain eateries of the financial district is Power Source, a vegan-friendly juice bar and café. It’s a convenient option for a working vegan who doesn’t have time to pack lunch. The prices are a bit steep, as you would expect of any café in the area, but the food is fresh and fabulously nutritious!

The place is small and the seating is limited but the friendly servers and brightly colored walls make for a pleasant lunch environment. I ordered a build-your-own-bowl with quinoa, steamed broccoli and tofu flavored with a miso ginger sauce. I also sampled their mung beans and oven-baked sweat potatoes. The meal was filling and the vegetables were fresh and delicious. The protein from the quinoa and tofu definitely gave me some much needed energy that lasted throughout the day.

I wanted to try a Power Source juice and the girl working behind the register suggested "motor oil," a mixture of carrots, beets, celery, spinach, cucumbers and parsley. I loved it! I was so excited by my discovery that I took it home with me for my Berkeley friends to try. They were not as enthused about it as I was. In fact, they thought it was disgusting. So I guess the motor oil isn’t for everyone, just those of us with more refined taste buds...

This mostly-organic café is family-run and most of its produce is locally grown. Their to-go containers, utensils and cups are biodegradable and they offer a discount to customers who bring their own containers. The café is powered by renewable energy it purchases through a company called Village Green Energy. It was featured in Common Grounds Magazine this month for its efforts in sustainability. The café serves breakfast and lunch Monday through Friday. Doors open at 7 a.m. and close at 3:30 p.m. I will definitely be returning there shortly...maybe even tomorrow!

Peter vvSend instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

At last, one you havent tried!!!

Huh, I knew I would get you in the end!

If you do try it , let me know, looks good, wish we had something like that around here.

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Friday, 15 August, 2008 5:37:37 PMRe: Re: [Vegan-To-Go in the Financial District

thanx peter...

cheers

fraggle

Peter VV Aug 14, 2008 1:41 PM @gro ups.com Re: [Vegan- To-Go in the Financial District

By Catherine McCulloch

The place is small and the seating is limited but the friendly servers and brightly colored walls make for a pleasant lunch environment. I ordered a build-your-own- bowl with quinoa, steamed broccoli and tofu flavored with a miso ginger sauce. I also sampled their mung beans and oven-baked sweat potatoes. The meal was filling and the vegetables were fresh and delicious. The protein from the quinoa and tofu definitely gave me some much needed energy that lasted throughout the day.

Peter vvSend instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger .

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

so, open one!

or get together with some others and open one!

me, i'm not that big into smoothies and juices...rebecca luved em for awhile, but even she stopped, except for the once or twice a week ones from herbivore. for awhile there, she was making em several times a day. i can only drink so much fruit...

Peter VV Aug 15, 2008 11:30 AM Re: Re: [Vegan-To-Go in the Financial District

If you do try it , let me know, looks good, wish we had something like that around here.

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Friday, 15 August, 2008 5:37:37 PMRe: Re: [Vegan-To-Go in the Financial District

thanx peter...

cheers

fraggle

Peter VV Aug 14, 2008 1:41 PM @gro ups.com Re: [Vegan- To-Go in the Financial District

By Catherine McCulloch

The place is small and the seating is limited but the friendly servers and brightly colored walls make for a pleasant lunch environment. I ordered a build-your-own- bowl with quinoa, steamed broccoli and tofu flavored with a miso ginger sauce. I also sampled their mung beans and oven-baked sweat potatoes. The meal was filling and the vegetables were fresh and delicious. The protein from the quinoa and tofu definitely gave me some much needed energy that lasted throughout the day.

Peter vvSend instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger . With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

There used to be a small juice bar in Cardiff, and I used to go every lunch time for one, but it is an expensive habit. I know what you mean about fruit. My fave was carrot , apple and ginger. Beetroot juice is VERY strong and earthy.

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Friday, 15 August, 2008 7:35:35 PMRe: Re: [Vegan-To-Go in the Financial District

so, open one!

me, i'm not that big into smoothies and juices...rebecca luved em for awhile, but even she stopped, except for the once or twice a week ones from herbivore. for awhile there, she was making em several times a day. i can only drink so much fruit...

Peter VV Aug 15, 2008 11:30 AM @gro ups.com Re: Re: [Vegan- To-Go in the Financial District

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>@gro ups.comFriday, 15 August, 2008 5:37:37 PMRe: Re: [Vegan- To-Go in the Financial District

thanx peter...

cheers

fraggle

By Catherine McCulloch

Peter vvSend instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger . With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger .

My favourite is apple, carrot and celery :-)

Jo

-

Peter VV

Friday, August 15, 2008 7:48 PM

Re: Re: [Vegan-To-Go in the Financial District

There used to be a small juice bar in Cardiff, and I used to go every lunch time for one, but it is an expensive habit. I know what you mean about fruit. My fave was carrot , apple and ginger. Beetroot juice is VERY strong and earthy.

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Friday, 15 August, 2008 7:35:35 PMRe: Re: [Vegan-To-Go in the Financial District

so, open one!

Peter VV Aug 15, 2008 11:30 AM @gro ups.com Re: Re: [Vegan- To-Go in the Financial District

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>@gro ups.comFriday, 15 August, 2008 5:37:37 PMRe: Re: [Vegan- To-Go in the Financial District

thanx peter...

cheers

fraggle

By Catherine McCulloch

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger . With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.