IndiaDivine.org

Rousey Is 1st U.S. Woman to Earn A Medal in Judo

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This seem odd to anyone else?

Washington Post Staff Writer Thursday, August 14, 2008; Page E09

A few minutes after Ronda Rousey became the first U.S. woman to earn an Olympic medal in judo, she was asked what she would do next.

"What am I gonna do?" she repeated after capturing a bronze medal. "As of right now I am a vegan. I put that off until after I was done with this tournament."

Some athletes go to Disney World; Rousey gives up dairy products.

"And then I'm gonna go home and I'm probably gonna take over the loan on my stepdad's Prius and I'm gonna drive a clean car," she said. "And I'm gonna get a surfboard and learn how to surf, teach myself. I made up this long list of stuff that I couldn't do while I was training that normal people do. It's kind of too late to go to prom, but you know, I'll find something to make up for it."

Rousey's history-making day in the 70kg (154-pound) competition was marked by a thoroughly odd mix of drama and comedy. At one point she dissolved in tears after losing to 2005 Dutch world champion Edith Bosch. A reporter later asked her how she recovered from that disappointment to rally in the losers' bracket; "I drank an iced tea," she said.

After her win by yuko in the bronze medal match, she enthusiastically hugged every coach on her team; she was later asked to describe her winning throw.

"Don't ask me about terminology, I'm horrible," she said. "You're supposed to learn all that stuff to get promoted, but I never did."

She talked happily about her plans to go out in Beijing tonight, and then ran off to get the flag that was placed on her father's coffin after he committed suicide while battling a blood disorder 13 years ago this week.

None of her quirks is exactly hidden, thanks to her blog, where she has revealed that she sleeps with a stuffed ewe, is turned off when she can beat up a guy easily, looks like Julia Stiles, dances naked in her living room every morning and eats imitation crab meat like string cheese. Her mom -- a former U.S. world champion judoka with a doctorate in education psychology -- has a blog, too.

"We're kind of a geeky tech family," AnnMaria De Mars said. "When I married Ronda's dad, instead of an engagement ring he got me an engagement Macintosh."

And then there's the vegan-mixed martial arts thing. A reporter asked De Mars how a vegan lifestyle would square with such a violent sport as judo. "I mean, we're tough but we don't kill our opponents and eat them," she said.

Rousey, 21, plans to take a year off from competition to try college, at either Southern Cal, Pepperdine or Loyola Marymount. She said she still might try to return for the 2012 Olympics. Of course, several of Rousey's close friends from the competitive judo world have gone into mixed martial arts -- Manny Gamburyan and Roman Mitichyan, for example -- and they've asked her to try that as well. She's thinking about it.

"I might learn how to throw a punch, but I'm not making any promises," she said. She was asked whether she'd have the guts for that brand of fighting. "Look at my face, does it look like I can take a good hit right now?" she replied, pointing to her red and battered cheeks.

De Mars, though, still needs some convincing.

"She's really smart, see that's the thing," De Mars said. "I think if you're really, really smart and you could maybe discover a new drug that cures AIDS or something you should go and do that, and let other people punch each other in the face."

Peter vvSend instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Weird!

Jo

-

Peter VV

Thursday, August 14, 2008 9:49 PM

Re: Rousey Is 1st U.S. Woman to Earn A Medal in Judo

A few minutes after Ronda Rousey became the first U.S. woman to earn an Olympic medal in judo, she was asked what she would do next.

"What am I gonna do?" she repeated after capturing a bronze medal. "As of right now I am a vegan. I put that off until after I was done with this tournament."

"And then I'm gonna go home and I'm probably gonna take over the loan on my stepdad's Prius and I'm gonna drive a clean car," she said. "And I'm gonna get a surfboard and learn how to surf, teach myself. I made up this long list of stuff that I couldn't do while I was training that normal people do. It's kind of too late to go to prom, but you know, I'll find something to make up for it."

Rousey's history-making day in the 70kg (154-pound) competition was marked by a thoroughly odd mix of drama and comedy. At one point she dissolved in tears after losing to 2005 Dutch world champion Edith Bosch. A reporter later asked her how she recovered from that disappointment to rally in the losers' bracket; "I drank an iced tea," she said.

After her win by yuko in the bronze medal match, she enthusiastically hugged every coach on her team; she was later asked to describe her winning throw.

"Don't ask me about terminology, I'm horrible," she said. "You're supposed to learn all that stuff to get promoted, but I never did."

She talked happily about her plans to go out in Beijing tonight, and then ran off to get the flag that was placed on her father's coffin after he committed suicide while battling a blood disorder 13 years ago this week.

None of her quirks is exactly hidden, thanks to her blog, where she has revealed that she sleeps with a stuffed ewe, is turned off when she can beat up a guy easily, looks like Julia Stiles, dances naked in her living room every morning and eats imitation crab meat like string cheese. Her mom -- a former U.S. world champion judoka with a doctorate in education psychology -- has a blog, too.

"We're kind of a geeky tech family," AnnMaria De Mars said. "When I married Ronda's dad, instead of an engagement ring he got me an engagement Macintosh."

And then there's the vegan-mixed martial arts thing. A reporter asked De Mars how a vegan lifestyle would square with such a violent sport as judo. "I mean, we're tough but we don't kill our opponents and eat them," she said.

Rousey, 21, plans to take a year off from competition to try college, at either Southern Cal, Pepperdine or Loyola Marymount. She said she still might try to return for the 2012 Olympics. Of course, several of Rousey's close friends from the competitive judo world have gone into mixed martial arts -- Manny Gamburyan and Roman Mitichyan, for example -- and they've asked her to try that as well. She's thinking about it.

"I might learn how to throw a punch, but I'm not making any promises," she said. She was asked whether she'd have the guts for that brand of fighting. "Look at my face, does it look like I can take a good hit right now?" she replied, pointing to her red and battered cheeks.

"She's really smart, see that's the thing," De Mars said. "I think if you're really, really smart and you could maybe discover a new drug that cures AIDS or something you should go and do that, and let other people punch each other in the face."

Peter vvSend instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

OK. Yes. I’m confused. Truly. WTF? Cyn

On Behalf Of Peter VV

Thursday, August 14, 2008

4:50 PM

Re: Rousey Is

1st U.S. Woman to Earn A Medal in Judo

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, August 14, 2008; Page E09

A few

minutes after Ronda Rousey became the first U.S. woman to earn an Olympic medal

in judo, she was asked what she would do next.

" What

am I gonna do? " she repeated after capturing a bronze medal. " As of

right now I am a vegan. I put that off until after I was done with this

tournament. "

Some

athletes go to Disney World; Rousey gives up dairy products.

" And

then I'm gonna go home and I'm probably gonna take over the loan on my

stepdad's Prius and I'm gonna drive a clean car, " she said. " And I'm

gonna get a surfboard and learn how to surf, teach myself. I made up this long

list of stuff that I couldn't do while I was training that normal people do.

It's kind of too late to go to prom, but you know, I'll find something to make

up for it. "

Rousey's

history-making day in the 70kg (154-pound) competition was marked by a

thoroughly odd mix of drama and comedy. At one point she dissolved in tears

after losing to 2005 Dutch world champion Edith Bosch. A reporter later asked

her how she recovered from that disappointment to rally in the losers' bracket;

" I drank an iced tea, " she said.

After her

win by yuko in the bronze medal match, she enthusiastically hugged every coach

on her team; she was later asked to describe her winning throw.

" Don't

ask me about terminology, I'm horrible, " she said. " You're supposed

to learn all that stuff to get promoted, but I never did. "

She

talked happily about her plans to go out in Beijing tonight, and then ran off

to get the flag that was placed on her father's coffin after he committed

suicide while battling a blood disorder 13 years ago this week.

None of

her quirks is exactly hidden, thanks to her blog, where she has revealed that

she sleeps with a stuffed ewe, is turned off when she can beat up a guy easily,

looks like Julia Stiles, dances naked in her living room every morning and eats

imitation crab meat like string cheese. Her mom -- a former U.S. world

champion judoka with a doctorate in education psychology -- has a blog, too.

" We're

kind of a geeky tech family, " AnnMaria De Mars said. " When I married

Ronda's dad, instead of an engagement ring he got me an engagement

Macintosh. "

And then

there's the vegan-mixed martial arts thing. A reporter asked De Mars how a

vegan lifestyle would square with such a violent sport as judo. " I mean,

we're tough but we don't kill our opponents and eat them, " she said.

Rousey,

21, plans to take a year off from competition to try college, at either Southern Cal, Pepperdine or Loyola Marymount. She said

she still might try to return for the 2012 Olympics. Of course, several of

Rousey's close friends from the competitive judo world have gone into mixed

martial arts -- Manny Gamburyan and Roman Mitichyan, for example -- and they've

asked her to try that as well. She's thinking about it.

" I

might learn how to throw a punch, but I'm not making any promises, " she

said. She was asked whether she'd have the guts for that brand of fighting.

" Look at my face, does it look like I can take a good hit right now? "

she replied, pointing to her red and battered cheeks.

De Mars,

though, still needs some convincing.

" She's

really smart, see that's the thing, " De Mars said. " I think if you're

really, really smart and you could maybe discover a new drug that cures AIDS or

something you should go and do that, and let other people punch each other in

the face. "

Peter vv

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

ye i think the jist of it is the woman that won a gold in olympics judo is going to go vegan.

CKG <cynthiaandtheothers Sent: Friday, 15 August, 2008 12:31:01 PMRE: Rousey Is 1st U.S. Woman to Earn A Medal in Judo

OK. Yes. I’m confused. Truly. WTF? Cyn

@gro ups.com [ @gro ups.com ] On Behalf Of Peter VVThursday, August 14, 2008 4:50 PM@gro ups.comRe: Rousey Is 1st U.S. Woman to Earn A Medal in Judo

Rousey, 21, plans to take a year off from competition to try college, at either Southern Cal , Pepperdine or Loyola Marymount. She said she still might try to return for the 2012 Olympics. Of course, several of Rousey's close friends from the competitive judo world have gone into mixed martial arts -- Manny Gamburyan and Roman Mitichyan, for example -- and they've asked her to try that as well. She's thinking about it.

Peter vv

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger . Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

I wonder if she'll keep the stuffed sheep?On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 4:58 PM, Theo Slade <waterspirithippie wrote:

ye i think the jist of it is the woman that won a gold in olympics judo is going to go vegan.

CKG <cynthiaandtheothers

Sent: Friday, 15 August, 2008 12:31:01 PMRE: Rousey Is 1st U.S. Woman to Earn A Medal in Judo

OK. Yes. I'm confused. Truly. WTF? Cyn

@gro ups.com [ @gro ups.com ] On Behalf Of Peter VV

Thursday, August 14, 2008 4:50 PM@gro ups.comRe: Rousey Is 1st U.S. Woman to Earn A Medal in Judo

" What am I gonna do? " she repeated after capturing a bronze medal. " As of right now I am a vegan. I put that off until after I was done with this tournament. "

" And then I'm gonna go home and I'm probably gonna take over the loan on my stepdad's Prius and I'm gonna drive a clean car, " she said. " And I'm gonna get a surfboard and learn how to surf, teach myself. I made up this long list of stuff that I couldn't do while I was training that normal people do. It's kind of too late to go to prom, but you know, I'll find something to make up for it. "

Rousey's history-making day in the 70kg (154-pound) competition was marked by a thoroughly odd mix of drama and comedy. At one point she dissolved in tears after losing to 2005 Dutch world champion Edith Bosch. A reporter later asked her how she recovered from that disappointment to rally in the losers' bracket; " I drank an iced tea, " she said.

" Don't ask me about terminology, I'm horrible, " she said. " You're supposed to learn all that stuff to get promoted, but I never did. "

" We're kind of a geeky tech family, " AnnMaria De Mars said. " When I married Ronda's dad, instead of an engagement ring he got me an engagement Macintosh. "

And then there's the vegan-mixed martial arts thing. A reporter asked De Mars how a vegan lifestyle would square with such a violent sport as judo. " I mean, we're tough but we don't kill our opponents and eat them, " she said.

Rousey, 21, plans to take a year off from competition to try college, at either Southern Cal , Pepperdine or Loyola Marymount. She said she still might try to return for the 2012 Olympics. Of course, several of Rousey's close friends from the competitive judo world have gone into mixed martial arts -- Manny Gamburyan and Roman Mitichyan, for example -- and they've asked her to try that as well. She's thinking about it.

" I might learn how to throw a punch, but I'm not making any promises, " she said. She was asked whether she'd have the guts for that brand of fighting. " Look at my face, does it look like I can take a good hit right now? " she replied, pointing to her red and battered cheeks.

" She's really smart, see that's the thing, " De Mars said. " I think if you're really, really smart and you could maybe discover a new drug that cures AIDS or something you should go and do that, and let other people punch each other in the face. "

Peter vv

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger .

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

-- Ms Madeline J Andersont: 01242 861269m: 07881 623654e: maddy.anderson