IndiaDivine.org

Apple and Cinnamon Crumble-top Cake

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This is what I had for tea, its very nice. Obviously substitute the moo juice for soya milk, and use soya margarine. I used Egg replacer instead of eggs, and I used Bramley apples ( cookers) instead of eaters. It doesnt look like the picture because the sponge bottom didnt rise as much but still tastes superb, so have a go......

I eat mine warm with soya "custard"

You might have come across a variety of apple & cinnamon combinations before, but for me its a first time affair…yes, this is the first time am eating apple….I can see so many surprised faces out there . You may find it hard to believe…I think I should make it clear that I haven’t got anything against the good looking apples, but I generally do not eat fruits, so is it getting too complicated for you guys…let me explain.

I do not eat 99% of fruits in raw form. Some fruits like orange, pineapple, mango…I have it in juice & jam forms…but there are some others which are a big NO in any form and they are jack fruit, guava and before making this cake apple was in this list….but I do not have any plans to try other fruits from that list, I just cannot stand its smell (no offense).

So now you might be wondering what made me try apple now….hhmm I should say my husband’s tireless efforts to make me eat apple one way or other is one of the main reason…and then when I saw the picture of this cake in my favorite cookery book, I took up the challenge of eating an apple cake and here I am…

Do I like apple after trying it?….hhhmm I am not yet sure whether I will eat it in raw form, but the cake version …yes

Here is the recipe of the cake that convinced me apples are tasty

For the topping

Eating apples - 350gm/12oz peeled Lemon juice - 1 tbsp Self-raising flour - 125gm/4oz Ground cinnamon - 1 tsp Butter - 75gm/3 oz Demerara sugar - 75gm/3oz Milk - 1 tbsp

For the base

Butter - 125gm/4oz Caster sugar - 125gm/4oz Medium eggs - 2 Self- raising flour - 150 gm/5 oz

Preheat the oven to 180 degree/350F, 10 minutes before baking. Lightly oil and line the base of a 20.5cm/8inch deep round cake tin with baking paper.

Finely chop the apples and mix with the lemon juice. Reserve while making the cake. For the crumbling topping, sift the flour and cinnamon together into a large bowl. Rub the butter into the flour and cinnamon until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Stir the sugar into the butter and flour mixture and reserve.

For the base,cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Gradually beat the eggs in a little at a time until all the egg has been added. Sift the flour and gently fold in with a metal spoon or rubber spatula. Spoon into the base of the prepared cake tin. Arrange the apple pieces on the top, then lightly stir the milk into the crumble mixture. Scatter the crumble mixture over the apples and bake in the preheated oven for 1 1/2 hours. Serve cold with Vanila icecream or custrad.

Peter vvSend instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.