Rate this topic

Guest guest

I have a recipe for bread which calls for honey and I'd like to replace

it with agave nectar to make it vegan. Does anyone know the correct

substitution amount? I looked online and found one source that says to

use 3/4 the amount (i.e. 3 Tablespoons agave nectar to replace 4

Tablespoons honey).

Krysten

Sounds about right, although I have seen two different "grades" of Agave nectar, the one in my cupboard is mild, they also do a stronger one. I wonder if there is a conversion list anywhere for honey to sugar, molasses to sugar, agave to sugar, etc etc. I will have to have a nose about and get back to you......

Peter vv

Krysten <kmv46n2 Sent: Monday, 18 August, 2008 6:19:19 AM Replacing honey with agave nectar in recipes

I have a recipe for bread which calls for honey and I'd like to replace it with agave nectar to make it vegan. Does anyone know the correct substitution amount? I looked online and found one source that says to use 3/4 the amount (i.e. 3 Tablespoons agave nectar to replace 4 Tablespoons honey).KrystenSend instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Well........

Wicked Pedia states :

Agave syrup may be substituted for sugar in recipes.

Use 1/3 cup of agave syrup for every 1 cup of sugar in the original recipe.

Just found this:

HoneyReplace each cup of honey with one cup of agave syrup.

Maple SyrupReplace each cup of maple syrup with one cup of agave syrup.

Brown Rice SyrupWhen replacing a cup of brown rice syrup, use 1/2 to 1/3 as much agave, and increase other liquids in the recipe by up to 1/2 a cup.

Corn SyrupWhen replacing a cup of light corn syrup, use 1/2 as much agave, and increase other liquids in the recipe by up to 1/3 of a cup. Like corn syrup, agave nectar will not crystallize.

Substituting Agave Nectar for Granulated Sugar

White SugarFor each cup of white sugar replaced, use 2/3 of a cup of agave and reduce other liquids by 1/4 to 1/3 cup. This substitution will also work for Demerara Sugar, Turbinado Sugar, Evaporated Cane Juice, or Sucanat.

Brown SugarFor each cup of white sugar replaced, use 2/3 of a cup of agave and reduce other liquids by 1/4 cup. Because the moisture content of Brown Sugar is higher than that of white sugar, liquids may not have to be reduced as much when substituting agave nectar.

Other ConsiderationsAgave syrup may cause baked items to brown more quickly, so reduce oven temperatures by 25°F is and increase baking time slightly.

Peter vv

Krysten <kmv46n2 Sent: Monday, 18 August, 2008 6:19:19 AM Replacing honey with agave nectar in recipes

I have a recipe for bread which calls for honey and I'd like to replace it with agave nectar to make it vegan. Does anyone know the correct substitution amount? I looked online and found one source that says to use 3/4 the amount (i.e. 3 Tablespoons agave nectar to replace 4 Tablespoons honey).KrystenSend instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

I don't know about agave, but you can use maple syrup in exactly the same amount as the honey it replaces.

Jo

-

Krysten

Monday, August 18, 2008 6:19 AM

Replacing honey with agave nectar in recipes

I have a recipe for bread which calls for honey and I'd like to replace it with agave nectar to make it vegan. Does anyone know the correct substitution amount? I looked online and found one source that says to use 3/4 the amount (i.e. 3 Tablespoons agave nectar to replace 4 Tablespoons honey).Krysten

Peter,

Thank you; that was very helpful. I did see the part on wikipedia

about using 1/3 C agave to replace 1 C sugar, but where did you find

the other substitutions for honey, etc? Do you have a link?

Krysten

, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

>

> Well........

> Wicked Pedia states :

> Agave syrup may be substituted for sugar in recipes.

> * Use 1/3 cup of agave syrup for every 1 cup of sugar in the

original recipe.

> Just found this:

> HoneyReplace each cup of honey with one cup of agave syrup.

>

>

> Maple SyrupReplace each cup of maple syrup with one cup of agave

syrup.

>

>

> Brown Rice SyrupWhen replacing a cup of brown rice syrup, use 1/2

to 1/3 as much agave, and increase other liquids in the recipe by up

to 1/2 a cup.

>

>

> Corn SyrupWhen replacing a cup of light corn syrup, use 1/2 as much

agave, and increase other liquids in the recipe by up to 1/3 of a

cup. Like corn syrup, agave nectar will not crystallize.

>

>

> Substituting Agave Nectar for Granulated Sugar

> White SugarFor each cup of white sugar replaced, use 2/3 of a cup

of agave and reduce other liquids by 1/4 to 1/3 cup. This

substitution will also work for Demerara Sugar, Turbinado Sugar,

Evaporated Cane Juice, or Sucanat.

>

>

> Brown SugarFor each cup of white sugar replaced, use 2/3 of a cup

of agave and reduce other liquids by 1/4 cup. Because the moisture

content of Brown Sugar is higher than that of white sugar, liquids

may not have to be reduced as much when substituting agave nectar.

>

>

> Other ConsiderationsAgave syrup may cause baked items to brown more

quickly, so reduce oven temperatures by 25°F is and increase baking

time slightly. 

>

>  

> Peter vv

>

>

>

>

> Krysten <kmv46n2

>

> Monday, 18 August, 2008 6:19:19 AM

> Replacing honey with agave nectar in recipes

>

>

> I have a recipe for bread which calls for honey and I'd like to

replace

> it with agave nectar to make it vegan. Does anyone know the correct

> substitution amount? I looked online and found one source that says

to

> use 3/4 the amount (i.e. 3 Tablespoons agave nectar to replace 4

> Tablespoons honey).

>

> Krysten

Sorry, just googled loads of sites,

Peter vv

Krysten <kmv46n2 Sent: Tuesday, 19 August, 2008 12:20:47 AM Re: Replacing honey with agave nectar in recipes

Peter,Thank you; that was very helpful. I did see the part on wikipedia about using 1/3 C agave to replace 1 C sugar, but where did you find the other substitutions for honey, etc? Do you have a link?Krysten@gro ups.com, Peter VV <swpgh01 > wrote:>> Well........> Wicked Pedia states :> Agave syrup may be substituted for sugar in recipes.> * Use 1/3 cup of agave syrup for every 1 cup of sugar in the original recipe. > Just found this:> HoneyReplace each cup of honey with one cup of agave syrup. > > > Maple SyrupReplace each cup of maple syrup with one cup of agave syrup. > > > Brown Rice SyrupWhen replacing a cup of brown rice syrup, use 1/2 to 1/3 as much agave, and

increase other liquids in the recipe by up to 1/2 a cup. > > > Corn SyrupWhen replacing a cup of light corn syrup, use 1/2 as much agave, and increase other liquids in the recipe by up to 1/3 of a cup. Like corn syrup, agave nectar will not crystallize. > > > Substituting Agave Nectar for Granulated Sugar> White SugarFor each cup of white sugar replaced, use 2/3 of a cup of agave and reduce other liquids by 1/4 to 1/3 cup. This substitution will also work for Demerara Sugar, Turbinado Sugar, Evaporated Cane Juice, or Sucanat. > > > Brown SugarFor each cup of white sugar replaced, use 2/3 of a cup of agave and reduce other liquids by 1/4 cup. Because the moisture content of Brown Sugar is higher than that of white sugar, liquids may not have to be reduced as much when substituting agave nectar. > > > Other ConsiderationsAgave

syrup may cause baked items to brown more quickly, so reduce oven temperatures by 25°F is and increase baking time slightly. > >  > Peter vv> > > > > Krysten <kmv46n2 >> @gro ups.com> Monday, 18 August, 2008 6:19:19 AM> Replacing honey with agave nectar in recipes> > > I have a recipe for bread which calls for honey and I'd like to replace > it with agave nectar to make it vegan. Does anyone know the correct > substitution amount? I looked online and found one source that says to > use 3/4 the amount (i.e. 3 Tablespoons agave nectar to replace 4 > Tablespoons honey).> >

KrystenSend instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.