scientificallyâ€.

> As Einstein said: “Not everything that counts can be counted, and

not everything that can be counted, counts.†Only a few years ago

doctors did not give anaesthetics to tiny babies, believing they did

not feel pain. By focusing narrowly on specifics †" in this case, the

emotional capacity of animals †" scientists may fail to take account

of what seems obvious and meaningful to the rest of us. The scientific

experience of the world must seem a bit like watching a football match

at night, with a single spotlight instead of floodlights.

>

Me too - what have they been thinking about that they miss these things the rest of us know?

Jo

-

searchingalight

Sunday, August 24, 2008 1:12 PM

Re: Do animals have emotions?

So they figured that out NOW???These so-called scientists which are supposed to be smart only figuredthat out NOW?Any person with an average 3-digit-IQ should be able to figure out theobvious.This kind of ignorance just baffles me. , Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:>> Look deep into her eyes ... Is she sad or do we just think so? Manyscientists now believe that animals feel emotions too> John-Paul Flintoff > A three-month-old baby died in its mother’s arms earlier thismonth. For hours the mother, Gana, gently shook and stroked her sonClaudio, apparently trying to restore movement to his lolling head andlimp arms. People who watched were moved to tears â€" unfazed by thefact that Gana and Claudio were “only†gorillas in Münster zoo,northern Germany. > It wasn’t just witnesses who were moved. A British woman who readabout Gana’s loss online posted this comment: “From one bereavedmother to another â€" Gana, you are in my thoughts. My baby boy diedlast June and you wouldn’t wish it on any form of life.†> Some, to be fair, reacted differently. One newspaper writer askedbluntly whether we are “ too quick to project human feelings ontoanimalsâ€. However, Dr Bill Sellers, a primatologist at ManchesterUniversity, believes gorillas experience pain and loss in a similarway to humans, “but of course it’s extremely difficult to provescientificallyâ€. > As Einstein said: “Not everything that counts can be counted, andnot everything that can be counted, counts.†Only a few years agodoctors did not give anaesthetics to tiny babies, believing they didnot feel pain. By focusing narrowly on specifics â€" in this case, theemotional capacity of animals â€" scientists may fail to take accountof what seems obvious and meaningful to the rest of us. The scientificexperience of the world must seem a bit like watching a football matchat night, with a single spotlight instead of floodlights. >

quite simple really

because, in the western way of thinking, humankind are above animals. they can't have enmotions, fellings, thoughts, because they are "just dumb animals"

if they had emotions, then we couldn't as easily "dominate" them and do the horrid things we do to em with a clear concious

easier to just think of em as things to use and roll over, and then that of course leads to commoditization, and making em even less, soon they aren't even "animals", but are just something that is a commodity, to be bought and sold...

"jo.heartwork" Aug 25, 2008 4:22 AM Re: Do animals have emotions?

Me too - what have they been thinking about that they miss these things the rest of us know?

Jo

-

searchingalight

So they figured that out NOW???These so-called scientists which are supposed to be smart only figuredthat out NOW?Any person with an average 3-digit-IQ should be able to figure out theobvious.This kind of ignorance just baffles me. , Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:>> Look deep into her eyes ... Is she sad or do we just think so? Manyscientists now believe that animals feel emotions too> John-Paul Flintoff > A three-month-old baby died in its mother’s arms earlier thismonth. For hours the mother, Gana, gently shook and stroked her sonClaudio, apparently trying to restore movement to his lolling head andlimp arms. People who watched were moved to tears â€" unfazed by thefact that Gana and Claudio were “only†gorillas in Münster zoo,northern Germany. > It wasn’t just witnesses who were moved. A British woman who readabout Gana’s loss online posted this comment: “From one bereavedmother to another â€" Gana, you are in my thoughts. My baby boy diedlast June and you wouldn’t wish it on any form of life.†> Some, to be fair, reacted differently. One newspaper writer askedbluntly whether we are “ too quick to project human feelings ontoanimalsâ€Â. However, Dr Bill Sellers, a primatologist at ManchesterUniversity, believes gorillas experience pain and loss in a similarway to humans, “but of course it’s extremely difficult to provescientificallyâ€Â. > As Einstein said: “Not everything that counts can be counted, andnot everything that can be counted, counts.†Only a few years agodoctors did not give anaesthetics to tiny babies, believing they didnot feel pain. By focusing narrowly on specifics â€" in this case, theemotional capacity of animals â€" scientists may fail to take accountof what seems obvious and meaningful to the rest of us. The scientificexperience of the world must seem a bit like watching a football matchat night, with a single spotlight instead of floodlights. >

Yes, because *we* have opposable thumbs

that's what makes *us* human

that's what makes *us* superiorwhich reminds me that any superiority-complex is only to cover up deep inferiority complexes. what else could justify such bestiality, than deep inferiority at a moral, spiritual and even intelectual level.Or we can just deny it.Denial fixes everything. So, as they have no feelings, nor experience any pain whatsoever, they are some kind of vegetables, just with legs. No problem in chopping 'em up and throw 'em in a pan.Has any scientist ever tried to suggest that animals do photosynthesis?--- On Mon, 8/25/08, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:fraggle <EBbrewpunxRe: Do animals have emotions? Date: Monday, August 25, 2008, 4:35 PM

quite simple really

because, in the western way of thinking, humankind are above animals. they can't have enmotions, fellings, thoughts, because they are "just dumb animals"

if they had emotions, then we couldn't as easily "dominate" them and do the horrid things we do to em with a clear concious

easier to just think of em as things to use and roll over, and then that of course leads to commoditization, and making em even less, soon they aren't even "animals", but are just something that is a commodity, to be bought and sold...

"jo.heartwork" Aug 25, 2008 4:22 AM @gro ups.com Re: Do animals have emotions?

Jo

-

searchingalight

@gro ups.com

So they figured that out NOW???These so-called scientists which are supposed to be smart only figuredthat out NOW?Any person with an average 3-digit-IQ should be able to figure out theobvious.This kind of ignorance just baffles me.@gro ups.com, Peter VV <swpgh01 > wrote:>> Look deep into her eyes ... Is she sad or do we just think so? Manyscientists now believe that animals feel emotions too> John-Paul Flintoff > A three-month- old baby died in its motherâs arms earlier thismonth. For hours the mother, Gana, gently shook and stroked her sonClaudio, apparently trying to restore movement to his lolling head andlimp arms. People who watched were moved to tears â" unfazed by thefact that Gana and Claudio were âonlyâ gorillas in Münster zoo,northern Germany.

> It wasnât just witnesses who were moved. A British woman who readabout Ganaâs loss online posted this comment: âFrom one bereavedmother to another â" Gana, you are in my thoughts. My baby boy diedlast June and you wouldnât wish it on any form of life.â > Some, to be fair, reacted differently. One newspaper writer askedbluntly whether we are â too quick to project human feelings ontoanimalsâ. However, Dr Bill Sellers, a primatologist at ManchesterUniversity, believes gorillas experience pain and loss in a similarway to humans, âbut of course itâs extremely difficult to provescientificallyâ. > As Einstein said: âNot everything that counts can be counted, andnot everything that can be counted, counts.â Only a few years agodoctors did not give anaesthetics to tiny babies, believing they didnot feel pain. By focusing narrowly on specifics â" in this case, theemotional

capacity of animals â" scientists may fail to take accountof what seems obvious and meaningful to the rest of us. The scientificexperience of the world must seem a bit like watching a football matchat night, with a single spotlight instead of floodlights. >