IndiaDivine.org

Pasta - vegan or not?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi all.. really basic question so sorry.

We went to a childrens adventure park today (my daughters are still on

school holidays).

Veggie option was appaling! As you may expect, it was pasta with

tomatoe sauce or nothing.. I waved the garlic balls onto my husband -

they had cheese and butter in and were white dough (they were in a

seperate plate), but the pasta I got a VERY blank face on when i asked

it it was vegan. The sauce was fine as homemade and listed ingrediants

so fine there.

Thanks for tolerating my daft questions.. i'm trying to find a site

that will help me to work out what's ok and what's not.

depends on the pasta....

fresh made pasta is generally made with eggs....

dry pasta is 90% ok...

so, depends on what the place used, or how they made it...

purplehugs2007 Aug 25, 2008 9:13 AM Pasta - vegan or not?

Hi all.. really basic question so sorry. We went to a childrens adventure park today (my daughters are still on school holidays). Veggie option was appaling! As you may expect, it was pasta with tomatoe sauce or nothing.. I waved the garlic balls onto my husband - they had cheese and butter in and were white dough (they were in a seperate plate), but the pasta I got a VERY blank face on when i asked it it was vegan. The sauce was fine as homemade and listed ingrediants so fine there. Thanks for tolerating my daft questions.. i'm trying to find a site that will help me to work out what's ok and what's not.

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Thanks, definately wasn't fresh - i know that a mile off. Chances are

the odds are high it was ok. :) Thanks, is it just egg that i need to

watch for in what I have at home?

At 8:01 PM +0000 8/25/08, purplehugs2007 wrote:

>Thanks, definately wasn't fresh - i know that a mile off. Chances are

>the odds are high it was ok. :) Thanks, is it just egg that i need to

>watch for in what I have at home?

I haven't seen any other nonvegan ingredients in pasta. Mostly it's

sauce/seasonings that have questionable additives. Asian prepared

mixes almost always have a fish ingredient.

wow i didn't know that. I'm not one for too many sauces shop bought,

but will keep a keen eye on what I buy.

Mostly we make our own. :)

Will miss chapati's with my curry though, so will need to read up on

making a vegan version i think! :)

, yarrow wrote:

>

> At 8:01 PM +0000 8/25/08, purplehugs2007 wrote:

> >Thanks, definately wasn't fresh - i know that a mile off. Chances

are

> >the odds are high it was ok. :) Thanks, is it just egg that i need

to

> >watch for in what I have at home?

>

> I haven't seen any other nonvegan ingredients in pasta. Mostly it's

> sauce/seasonings that have questionable additives. Asian prepared

> mixes almost always have a fish ingredient.

>

weeeeellllll..i've seen squid ink in pasta, but that should be fairly obvious

certain dry pastas (like some of the one's at Trader Joe's) have calcium lactate, which to me is one of those "maybe" ingredients..lactic acid can be animal , bacterial, or plant produced...

so, i just steer clear of it, just in case

purplehugs2007 Aug 26, 2008 3:57 AM Re: Pasta - vegan or not?

wow i didn't know that. I'm not one for too many sauces shop bought, but will keep a keen eye on what I buy. Mostly we make our own. :) Will miss chapati's with my curry though, so will need to read up on making a vegan version i think! :) , yarrow wrote:>> At 8:01 PM +0000 8/25/08, purplehugs2007 wrote:> >Thanks, definately wasn't fresh - i know that a mile off. Chances are> >the odds are high it was ok. :) Thanks, is it just egg that i need to> >watch for in what I have at home?> > I haven't seen any other nonvegan ingredients in pasta. Mostly it's > sauce/seasonings that have questionable additives. Asian prepared > mixes almost always have a fish ingredient.>

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Sounds kind of due to that "more-for-your-dollar"-philosophie you have there in US.Instead of just wheat, let's add all kinds of "ingredients", (things which can´t really be called food), so the costumer can´t complain, lol.I tremble for my species when I reflect that God is just.-Thomas Jefferson--- On Tue, 8/26/08, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:fraggle <EBbrewpunxRe: Re: Pasta - vegan or not? Date: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 1:22 PM

weeeeellllll. .i've seen squid ink in pasta, but that should be fairly obvious

certain dry pastas (like some of the one's at Trader Joe's) have calcium lactate, which to me is one of those "maybe" ingredients. .lactic acid can be animal , bacterial, or plant produced...

so, i just steer clear of it, just in case

purplehugs2007 Aug 26, 2008 3:57 AM @gro ups.com Re: Pasta - vegan or not?

wow i didn't know that. I'm not one for too many sauces shop bought, but will keep a keen eye on what I buy. Mostly we make our own. :) Will miss chapati's with my curry though, so will need to read up on making a vegan version i think! :) @gro ups.com, yarrow wrote:>> At 8:01 PM +0000 8/25/08, purplehugs2007 wrote:> >Thanks, definately wasn't fresh - i know that a mile off. Chances are> >the odds are high it was ok. :) Thanks, is it just egg that i need to> >watch for in what I have at home?> > I haven't seen any other nonvegan ingredients in pasta. Mostly it's > sauce/seasonings that have questionable additives. Asian prepared > mixes almost always have a fish ingredient.> With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

nowt wrong with chapatis, just flour & & water. Mind you if you eat out, they do sometimes brush them with ghee...

Peter vv

Beatriz <searchingalight Sent: Tuesday, 26 August, 2008 6:22:48 PMRe: Re: Pasta - vegan or not?

What is the problem with chapatis?btw, i found this on youtube http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=jD4o_Lmy6bUit shows step by step how to make it.I believe nothing is lost if You use olive oil instead of the ghee.I tremble for my species when I reflect that God is just.-Thomas Jefferson--- On Tue, 8/26/08, purplehugs2007 <purple.hugs@ btinternet. com> wrote:

purplehugs2007 <purple.hugs@ btinternet. com> Re: Pasta - vegan or not?@gro ups.comTuesday, August 26, 2008, 6:57 AM

wow i didn't know that. I'm not one for too many sauces shop bought, but will keep a keen eye on what I buy. Mostly we make our own. :) Will miss chapati's with my curry though, so will need to read up on making a vegan version i think! :) @gro ups.com, yarrow wrote:>> At 8:01 PM +0000 8/25/08, purplehugs2007 wrote:> >Thanks, definately wasn't fresh - i know that a mile off. Chances are> >the odds are high it was ok. :) Thanks, is it just egg that i need to> >watch for in what I have at home?> > I haven't seen any other nonvegan ingredients in pasta. Mostly it's > sauce/seasonings that have questionable additives. Asian prepared > mixes almost always have a fish

ingredient.>Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

don't chapati, roti, and naan breads generally have ghee?

Beatriz Aug 26, 2008 10:22 AM Re: Re: Pasta - vegan or not?

What is the problem with chapatis?btw, i found this on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD4o_Lmy6bUit shows step by step how to make it.I believe nothing is lost if You use olive oil instead of the ghee.I tremble for my species when I reflect that God is just.-Thomas Jefferson--- On Tue, 8/26/08, purplehugs2007 <purple.hugs (AT) btinternet (DOT) com> wrote:

purplehugs2007 <purple.hugs (AT) btinternet (DOT) com> Re: Pasta - vegan or not? Date: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 6:57 AM

wow i didn't know that. I'm not one for too many sauces shop bought, but will keep a keen eye on what I buy. Mostly we make our own. :) Will miss chapati's with my curry though, so will need to read up on making a vegan version i think! :) @gro ups.com, yarrow wrote:>> At 8:01 PM +0000 8/25/08, purplehugs2007 wrote:> >Thanks, definately wasn't fresh - i know that a mile off. Chances are> >the odds are high it was ok. :) Thanks, is it just egg that i need to> >watch for in what I have at home?> > I haven't seen any other nonvegan ingredients in pasta. Mostly it's > sauce/seasonings that have questionable additives. Asian prepared > mixes almost always have a fish ingredient.>

Thanks, Peter :) that's what I thought.I tremble for my species when I reflect that God is just.-Thomas Jefferson--- On Tue, 8/26/08, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:Peter VV <swpgh01Re: Re: Pasta - vegan or not? Date: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 1:32 PM

nowt wrong with chapatis, just flour & & water. Mind you if you eat out, they do sometimes brush them with ghee...

Peter vv

Beatriz <searchingalight@ >@gro ups.comTuesday, 26 August, 2008 6:22:48 PMRe: Re: Pasta - vegan or not?

What is the problem with chapatis?btw, i found this on youtube http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=jD4o_Lmy6bUit shows step by step how to make it.I believe nothing is lost if You use olive oil instead of the ghee.I tremble for my species when I reflect that God is just.-Thomas Jefferson--- On Tue, 8/26/08, purplehugs2007 <purple.hugs@ btinternet. com> wrote:

purplehugs2007 <purple.hugs@ btinternet. com> Re: Pasta - vegan or not?@gro ups.comTuesday, August 26, 2008, 6:57 AM

wow i didn't know that. I'm not one for too many sauces shop bought, but will keep a keen eye on what I buy. Mostly we make our own. :) Will miss chapati's with my curry though, so will need to read up on making a vegan version i think! :) @gro ups.com, yarrow wrote:>> At 8:01 PM +0000 8/25/08, purplehugs2007 wrote:> >Thanks, definately wasn't fresh - i know that a mile off. Chances are> >the odds are high it was ok. :) Thanks, is it just egg that i need to> >watch for in what I have at home?> > I haven't seen any other nonvegan ingredients in pasta. Mostly it's > sauce/seasonings that have questionable additives. Asian prepared > mixes almost always have a fish

ingredient.>Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger .

Dont touch naan breads though, they are made with yoghurt.

Peter vv

Beatriz <searchingalight Sent: Tuesday, 26 August, 2008 6:36:46 PMRe: Re: Pasta - vegan or not?

Thanks, Peter :) that's what I thought.I tremble for my species when I reflect that God is just.-Thomas Jefferson--- On Tue, 8/26/08, Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> wrote:

Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com>Re: Re: Pasta - vegan or not?@gro ups.comTuesday, August 26, 2008, 1:32 PM

Peter vv

Beatriz <searchingalight@ >@gro ups.comTuesday, 26 August, 2008 6:22:48 PMRe: Re: Pasta - vegan or not?

ingredient.>Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger . Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Chapati, are the same as roti, and are just flour & water, however, they do sometimes brush with ghee, Naan are always made with yoghurt...

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Tuesday, 26 August, 2008 6:35:06 PMRe: Re: Pasta - vegan or not?

don't chapati, roti, and naan breads generally have ghee?

Beatriz Aug 26, 2008 10:22 AM @gro ups.com Re: Re: Pasta - vegan or not?

ingredient.>

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

ok, i'll just eat'em at home, made by myself and with soymilk I tremble for my species when I reflect that God is just.-Thomas Jefferson--- On Tue, 8/26/08, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:Peter VV <swpgh01Re: Re: Pasta - vegan or not? Date: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 1:40 PM

Peter vv

Beatriz <searchingalight@ >@gro ups.comTuesday, 26 August, 2008 6:36:46 PMRe: Re: Pasta - vegan or not?

Thanks, Peter :) that's what I thought.I tremble for my species when I reflect that God is just.-Thomas Jefferson--- On Tue, 8/26/08, Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> wrote:

Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com>Re: Re: Pasta - vegan or not?@gro ups.comTuesday, August 26, 2008, 1:32 PM

Peter vv

ingredient.>Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger . Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger .

Hi Peter

Easy enough to make your own using soya yoghurt...

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 6:40 PM

Re: Re: Pasta - vegan or not?

Peter vv

Beatriz <searchingalight Sent: Tuesday, 26 August, 2008 6:36:46 PMRe: Re: Pasta - vegan or not?

Peter vv

wow i didn't know that. I'm not one for too many sauces shop bought, but will keep a keen eye on what I buy. Mostly we make our own. :) Will miss chapati's with my curry though, so will need to read up on making a vegan version i think! :) @gro ups.com, yarrow wrote:>> At 8:01 PM +0000 8/25/08, purplehugs2007 wrote:> >Thanks, definately wasn't fresh - i know that a mile off. Chances are> >the odds are high it was ok. :) Thanks, is it just egg that i need to> >watch for in what I have at home?> > I haven't seen any other nonvegan ingredients in pasta. Mostly it's > sauce/seasonings that have questionable additives. Asian prepared > mixes almost always have a fish ingredient.>Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger . Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Yip, but not in Indian restaurants....

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab Sent: Tuesday, 26 August, 2008 8:45:48 PMRe: Re: Pasta - vegan or not?

Hi Peter

Easy enough to make your own using soya yoghurt...

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 6:40 PM

Re: Re: Pasta - vegan or not?

Peter vv

Beatriz <searchingalight@ >@gro ups.comTuesday, 26 August, 2008 6:36:46 PMRe: Re: Pasta - vegan or not?

Peter vv

ingredient.>Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger . Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger . Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

it's the ghee that i was concerned about - I have made them in the

past at home and they were lovely - without ghee.

, Beatriz <searchingalight

wrote:

>

> Thanks, Peter :) that's what I thought.

>

> I tremble for my species when I reflect that God is just.-Thomas

Jefferson

>

> --- On Tue, 8/26/08, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

> Peter VV <swpgh01

> Re: Re: Pasta - vegan or not?

>

> Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 1:32 PM

>

>

>

>

>

nowt wrong with chapatis, just flour & & water. Mind

you if you eat out, they do sometimes brush them with ghee...

>

>

>  

>

> Peter vv

>

>

>

>

>

> Beatriz <searchingalight@ >

> @gro ups.com

> Tuesday, 26 August, 2008 6:22:48 PM

>

What is the problem with chapatis?

> btw, i found this on youtube

>  http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=jD4o_Lmy6bU

> it shows step by step how to make it.

> I believe nothing is lost if You use olive oil instead of the ghee.

>

>

Jefferson

>

> --- On Tue, 8/26/08, purplehugs2007 <purple.hugs@ btinternet. com>

wrote:

>

> purplehugs2007 <purple.hugs@ btinternet. com>

> Re: Pasta - vegan or not?

> @gro ups.com

> Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 6:57 AM

>

>

>

>

> wow i didn't know that. I'm not one for too many sauces shop

bought,

> but will keep a keen eye on what I buy.

> Mostly we make our own. :)

>

> Will miss chapati's with my curry though, so will need to read up

on

> making a vegan version i think! :)

>

> @gro ups.com, yarrow@ wrote:

> >

> > At 8:01 PM +0000 8/25/08, purplehugs2007 wrote:

> > >Thanks, definately wasn't fresh - i know that a mile off.

Chances

> are

> > >the odds are high it was ok. :) Thanks, is it just egg that i

need

> to

> > >watch for in what I have at home?

> >

> > I haven't seen any other nonvegan ingredients in pasta. Mostly

it's

> > sauce/seasonings that have questionable additives. Asian

prepared

> > mixes almost always have a fish

> ingredient.

> >

>

>

>

> Send instant messages to your online friends

http://uk.messenger .

>

thanks, I definetely gotta try them out :)--- On Wed, 8/27/08, purplehugs2007 <purple.hugs wrote:purplehugs2007 <purple.hugs Re: Pasta - vegan or not? Date: Wednesday, August 27, 2008, 11:08 AM

it's the ghee that i was concerned about - I have made them in the

past at home and they were lovely - without ghee.

@gro ups.com, Beatriz <searchingalight@ ...>

wrote:

>

> Thanks, Peter :) that's what I thought.

>

Jefferson

>

> --- On Tue, 8/26/08, Peter VV <swpgh01 > wrote:

> Peter VV <swpgh01 >

> @gro ups.com

> Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 1:32 PM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> nowt wrong with chapatis, just flour & & water. Mind

you if you eat out, they do sometimes brush them with ghee...

>

>

>

>

> Peter vv

>

>

>

>

>

> Beatriz <searchingalight@ >

> @gro ups.com

> Tuesday, 26 August, 2008 6:22:48 PM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> What is the problem with chapatis?

> btw, i found this on youtube

> http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=jD4o_Lmy6bU

> it shows step by step how to make it.

> I believe nothing is lost if You use olive oil instead of the ghee.

>

>

Jefferson

>

> --- On Tue, 8/26/08, purplehugs2007 <purple.hugs@ btinternet. com>

wrote:

>

> purplehugs2007 <purple.hugs@ btinternet. com>

> Re: Pasta - vegan or not?

> @gro ups.com

> Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 6:57 AM

>

>

>

>

> wow i didn't know that. I'm not one for too many sauces shop

bought,

> but will keep a keen eye on what I buy.

> Mostly we make our own. :)

>

> Will miss chapati's with my curry though, so will need to read up

on

> making a vegan version i think! :)

>

> @gro ups.com, yarrow@ wrote:

> >

> > At 8:01 PM +0000 8/25/08, purplehugs2007 wrote:

> > >Thanks, definately wasn't fresh - i know that a mile off.

Chances

> are

> > >the odds are high it was ok. :) Thanks, is it just egg that i

need

> to

> > >watch for in what I have at home?

> >

> > I haven't seen any other nonvegan ingredients in pasta. Mostly

it's

> > sauce/seasonings that have questionable additives. Asian

prepared

> > mixes almost always have a fish