IndiaDivine.org

Vegetarian pioneer helps 'people wake up'

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Decades before Oprah's detox diet, Karyn Calabrese was encouraging Chicagoans to live full, healthy lives through a unique approach to eating.

Calabrese, the 61-year-old vegan dynamo behind the restaurants Karyn's Raw in Lincoln Park and Karyn's Cooked in River North, as well as a spa and store, has helped people learn to take better care of what she calls their "most magnificent machines."

» Click to enlarge image Vegan dynamo Karyn Calabrese, 61, launched Karyn’s Raw, the oldest raw food restaurant in the country. (Jean Lachat/Sun-Times)

"What I live to do is help people wake up," she said. "So much of what we do is habit, especially in the food arena."

Calabrese stopped eating meat in her early 20s after seeing women in her family die young. She later adapted her diet to vegan foods -- no meat, fish or animal by-products like eggs -- and raw, living foods like a savory tuna salad without fish or a tart lemon cheesecake made without cheese.

She saw "phenomenal benefits" and started spreading the word through classes on subjects like detoxification that she continues to teach. Karyn's Raw, her first restaurant, is the oldest raw food restaurant in the country.

Calabrese said she's happy to help in a city once known for its stockyards.

"I'm so appreciative to Chicago because they became such a willing part of my vision," she said.

Kara Spak

Peter vvSend instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.