IndiaDivine.org

Frustrated

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Well I had my first "attack" about being vegan. He INFORMED me that life cannot be sustained without ample amounts of animal fat. That it is critical for life. I said no, he insisted, and HE certainly has done no research. Then I was repeatedly informed that vegans have to be "so careful" to make sure they don't waste away from not eating the right foods as they might get sick.

I guess I lost it (a bit) when I informed him that people eating regular western diets should be "so careful" about what they eat because 1/3 of them are obese and disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, heart attack, and so much more is happening that they better watch it.

So I guess I failed at being gentle, didn't I? I just don't like lectures from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about and all based on rumor and naivete.

Sorry-needed to vent.

Shelley H

Hi Shelley

I'm afraid it happens, fairly regularly :-(

It is highly annoying at the time, but try not to worry about it. I

think sometimes people feel the need to annoy/upset vegans because

underneath it all they know they shouldn't really be eating meat.

JO

, Shelley <moondrop000 wrote:

>

> Well I had my first " attack " about being vegan. He INFORMED me that

life cannot be sustained without ample amounts of animal fat. That it

is critical for life. I said no, he insisted, and HE certainly has

done no research. Then I was repeatedly informed that vegans have to

be " so careful " to make sure they don't waste away from not eating

the right foods as they might get sick.

> I guess I lost it (a bit) when I informed him that people eating

regular western diets should be " so careful " about what they eat

because 1/3 of them are obese and disease, high blood pressure,

diabetes, heart attack, and so much more is happening that they

better watch it.

> So I guess I failed at being gentle, didn't I? I just don't like

lectures from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about

and all based on rumor and naivete.

> Sorry-needed to vent.

> Shelley H

>

Hi Shelley

Three useful things to remember when people state that you can't be fit and healthy on a vegan diet.... Martina Navratilova, Carl Lewis, and Donald Watson. Navratilova was playing top rank professional tennis at the age of 50, Lewis won 4 olympic golds, and Donald Watson climbed Mount Everest in his 90s. Those three have achieved on a vegan diet what very few on a meat based diet have!

BB

Peter

-

Shelley

Monday, September 01, 2008 4:32 AM

Frustrated

Well I had my first "attack" about being vegan. He INFORMED me that life cannot be sustained without ample amounts of animal fat. That it is critical for life. I said no, he insisted, and HE certainly has done no research. Then I was repeatedly informed that vegans have to be "so careful" to make sure they don't waste away from not eating the right foods as they might get sick.

I guess I lost it (a bit) when I informed him that people eating regular western diets should be "so careful" about what they eat because 1/3 of them are obese and disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, heart attack, and so much more is happening that they better watch it.

So I guess I failed at being gentle, didn't I? I just don't like lectures from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about and all based on rumor and naivete.

Sorry-needed to vent.

Shelley H

Hi Peter,I just browsed through Martina Navratilova's website and got serious doubts she's vegetarian and she's certainly not vegan.http://www.martinanavratilova.com/winter.html"..Cook with broth (vegetable,chicken) instead of oils;..."Referring to red meat: "...it’s quite hard to digest as well so choose that fresh fish instead of the big steak."This is not hearsay as the articles are written by herself and posted at her official website.I do not think a vegetarian would ever suggest the use of chickenbroth nor fish.It's really sad, as I used to mention her as an example.Blessed Be,Beatriz“If nothing changes, nothing changes.” -Earnie Larsen--- On Mon, 9/1/08, Peter <metalscarab wrote:Peter <metalscarabRe: Frustrated Date: Monday, September 1, 2008, 3:49 AM

Hi Shelley

Three useful things to remember when people state that you can't be fit and healthy on a vegan diet.... Martina Navratilova, Carl Lewis, and Donald Watson. Navratilova was playing top rank professional tennis at the age of 50, Lewis won 4 olympic golds, and Donald Watson climbed Mount Everest in his 90s. Those three have achieved on a vegan diet what very few on a meat based diet have!

BB

Peter

-

Shelley

@gro ups.com

Frustrated

Sorry-needed to vent.

Shelley H

Hi Beatriz

Maybe she's changed. When she was playing she always claimed to be vegan.

BB

Peter

-

Beatriz

Monday, September 01, 2008 1:25 PM

Re: Frustrated

Hi Peter,I just browsed through Martina Navratilova's website and got serious doubts she's vegetarian and she's certainly not vegan.http://www.martinanavratilova.com/winter.html"..Cook with broth (vegetable,chicken) instead of oils;..."Referring to red meat: "...it’s quite hard to digest as well so choose that fresh fish instead of the big steak."This is not hearsay as the articles are written by herself and posted at her official website.I do not think a vegetarian would ever suggest the use of chickenbroth nor fish.It's really sad, as I used to mention her as an example.Blessed Be,Beatriz“If nothing changes, nothing changes.” -Earnie Larsen--- On Mon, 9/1/08, Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Peter <metalscarabRe: Frustrated Date: Monday, September 1, 2008, 3:49 AM

Hi Shelley

BB

Peter

-

Shelley

@gro ups.com

Frustrated

Sorry-needed to vent.

Shelley H

Never knew Martina was vegan?????

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab Sent: Monday, 1 September, 2008 8:49:08 AMRe: Frustrated

Hi Shelley

BB

Peter

-

Shelley

@gro ups.com

Frustrated

Sorry-needed to vent.

Shelley H

Vent away! we all need to let off steam sometimes...

Peter vv

Shelley <moondrop000 Sent: Monday, 1 September, 2008 4:32:47 AM Frustrated

Sorry-needed to vent.

Shelley H

Donald Watson is my new hero! I will try to remember his name. And I do think the attack was partially because this guy is a heavy meat-eater who eats very few plants at all and may feel threatened a bit.

Shelley H

She always claimed to be and was said to be on some of the vegan/vegetarian lists of famous vegan/veggies.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Monday, September 01, 2008 6:37 PM

Never knew Martina was vegan?????

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab > Sent: Monday, 1 September, 2008 8:49:08 AMRe: Frustrated

Hi Shelley

BB

Peter

-

Shelley

@gro ups.com

Frustrated

Sorry-needed to vent.

Shelley H

I've jsut looked at her website, and don't necessarily draw the same

conclusion.

The quotes are from her tips pages, but doesn't necessarily mean that

she uses the ingredients. I have been known to tell omnivores that

dairy is worse for them than meat, when talking about health -

doesn't mean I eat meat. She does suggest vinagrettes instead of

cream, and other tips like that.

I checked the charities she supports as well, and think that she may

well still be veggie/vegan.

There are lots of sites who say she is vegan (2008 entries).

Jo

, Beatriz <searchingalight

wrote:

>

> Hi Peter,

>

> I just browsed through Martina Navratilova's website and got

serious doubts she's vegetarian and she's certainly not vegan.

>

> http://www.martinanavratilova.com/winter.html

>

> " ..Cook with broth (vegetable,chicken) instead of oils;... "

>

> Referring to red meat: " ...it's quite hard to digest as well so

choose that fresh fish instead of the big steak. "

>

> This is not hearsay as the articles are written by herself and

posted at her official website.

> I do not think a vegetarian would ever suggest the use of

chickenbroth nor fish.

> It's really sad, as I used to mention her as an example.

>

> Blessed Be,

> Beatriz

>

>

> " If nothing changes, nothing changes. " -Earnie Larsen

>

> --- On Mon, 9/1/08, Peter <metalscarab wrote:

> Peter <metalscarab

> Re: Frustrated

>

> Monday, September 1, 2008, 3:49 AM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Hi Shelley

>  

> Three useful things to remember when people state

> that you can't be fit and healthy on a vegan diet.... Martina

Navratilova, Carl

> Lewis, and Donald Watson. Navratilova was playing top rank

professional tennis

> at the age of 50, Lewis won 4 olympic golds, and Donald Watson

climbed Mount

> Everest in his 90s. Those three have achieved on a vegan diet what

very few on a

> meat based diet have!

>  

> BB

> Peter

>  

> -

>

>

> Shelley

>

> @gro ups.com

> Monday, September 01, 2008 4:32

> AM

> Frustrated

Well I had my first " attack " about being vegan. He INFORMED

me that

> life cannot be sustained without ample amounts of animal

fat. That it is

> critical for life. I said no, he insisted, and HE certainly

has done no

> research. Then I was repeatedly informed that vegans have

to be " so

> careful " to make sure they don't waste away from not eating

the right

> foods as they might get sick.

> I guess I lost it (a bit) when I informed him that people

eating

> regular western diets should be " so careful " about what

they eat because

> 1/3 of them are obese and disease, high blood pressure,

diabetes, heart

> attack, and so much more is happening that they better

watch it.

> So I guess I failed at being gentle, didn't I? I just don't

> lectures from someone who doesn't know what they are

talking about and

> all based on rumor and naivete.

> Sorry-needed to vent.

> Shelley H

>

Hi Shelley

He's a useful person to remember. He went vegan in the late 1930s - then founded the vegan society in 1944, and actually invented the word vegan! Sadly he died about 18 months ago, aged 96, having not consumed any animal products for over 60 years - and he was very fit and healthy until just a few weeks before his death.

BB

Peter

-

Shelley

Monday, September 01, 2008 7:09 PM

Donald Watson is my new hero! I will try to remember his name. And I do think the attack was partially because this guy is a heavy meat-eater who eats very few plants at all and may feel threatened a bit.

Shelley H