IndiaDivine.org

Thanks...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I’ve got lavender oil spread all over in “strategic

places” for the mosquitoes and I will let you know if it is working.

Thanks for the help very much. Not brave enough to start “talking”

to them yet. I don’t think they would appreciate my salty language.

Cyn

Dont understsand Lavender used for this, never heard of that as it usually attracts bees & butterflies, wheras citronella is well documented for repelling all insects.

Peter vv

CKG <cynthiaandtheothers Sent: Monday, 1 September, 2008 2:27:41 PM Thanks...

I’ve got lavender oil spread all over in “strategic places†for the mosquitoes and I will let you know if it is working. Thanks for the help very much. Not brave enough to start “talking†to them yet. I don’t think they would appreciate my salty language.

Cyn

Hi Peter

It does attract bees and butterflies, but bees tend to only sting if they feel threatened, and I've never yet been bitten by a butterfly! And I'd rather have bees and butterflies having a quick sniff than get attacked by mosquitos!

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Monday, September 01, 2008 6:35 PM

Re: Thanks...

Dont understsand Lavender used for this, never heard of that as it usually attracts bees & butterflies, wheras citronella is well documented for repelling all insects.

Peter vv

CKG <cynthiaandtheothers Sent: Monday, 1 September, 2008 2:27:41 PM Thanks...

I’ve got lavender oil spread all over in “strategic places†for the mosquitoes and I will let you know if it is working. Thanks for the help very much. Not brave enough to start “talking†to them yet. I don’t think they would appreciate my salty language.

Cyn

What an odd reply?

The point I was making was that lavendar attracts insects , citronella doesnt.

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab Sent: Monday, 1 September, 2008 6:57:38 PMRe: Thanks...

Hi Peter

It does attract bees and butterflies, but bees tend to only sting if they feel threatened, and I've never yet been bitten by a butterfly! And I'd rather have bees and butterflies having a quick sniff than get attacked by mosquitos!

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv

CKG <cynthiaandtheothers @comcast. net>@gro ups.comMonday, 1 September, 2008 2:27:41 PM Thanks...

Cyn

Lavendar is definitely a repellant of mosquitos and some other insects. I never found citronella any good, although it does put hunting hounds off the scent. Butterflies and bees like lavendar, but I've not known them be attracted to the essential oil.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Peter vv

CKG <cynthiaandtheothers (AT) comcast (DOT) net> Sent: Monday, 1 September, 2008 2:27:41 PM Thanks...

Cyn

Only some insects, and not to the essential oil, only the fresh flowers!

I burned citronella in my kitchen when it was really hot one summer, to try to deter the flies and midges, but it didn't work.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Monday, September 01, 2008 7:20 PM

What an odd reply?

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab > Sent: Monday, 1 September, 2008 6:57:38 PMRe: Thanks...

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv

CKG <cynthiaandtheothers @comcast. net>@gro ups.comMonday, 1 September, 2008 2:27:41 PM Thanks...

Cyn

Its not the flowers it is the essential oil. Its added to outdoor candles etc just for that reason for bbq`s etc.

Just found this on the web, and it looks as though Lavender is good for repelling mozzies.......................

Oh by the way, what is a chigger?

Specific Oils for Specific Insects

ANTS Peppermint Spearmint

APHIDS Cedarwood Hyssop Peppermint Spearmint

BEETLES Peppermint Thyme

CATERPILLARS Spearmint Peppermint

CHIGGERSLavenderLemongrassSageThyme

CUTWORM Thyme Sage

FLEAS Peppermint Lemongrass Spearmint Lavender

FLIES Lavender Peppermint Rosemary Sage

GNATS Patchouli Spearmint

LICE Cedarwood Peppermint Spearmint

MOSQUITOES Lavender Lemongrass MOTHS CedarwoodHyssop Lavender Peppermint Spearmint

PLANT LICE Peppermint Spearmint

SLUGS Cedarwood Hyssop Pine

SNAILS Cedarwood Pine Patchouli

SPIDERSPeppermintSpearmint

TICKSLavenderLemongrass Sage Thyme

WEEVILS Cedarwood Patchouli Sandalwood

Peter vv

jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork Sent: Monday, 1 September, 2008 7:37:16 PMRe: Thanks...

Only some insects, and not to the essential oil, only the fresh flowers!

I burned citronella in my kitchen when it was really hot one summer, to try to deter the flies and midges, but it didn't work.

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

What an odd reply?

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comMonday, 1 September, 2008 6:57:38 PMRe: Thanks...

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv

Cyn

Hi Peter

There are many and varied insects out there - not all like the same plants! Mosquitos are quite different from bees and butterflies!

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

What an odd reply?

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab Sent: Monday, 1 September, 2008 6:57:38 PMRe: Thanks...

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv

Cyn

10/10 for observation. Nothing gets by you does it...:)

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab Sent: Monday, 1 September, 2008 8:31:35 PMRe: Thanks...

Hi Peter

There are many and varied insects out there - not all like the same plants! Mosquitos are quite different from bees and butterflies!

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

What an odd reply?

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comMonday, 1 September, 2008 6:57:38 PMRe: Thanks...

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv

Cyn

At 6:57 PM +0000 9/1/08, Peter VV wrote:

Oh by the way, what is a chigger?

>>

It's the larval form of a mite that creates the most intense

itching I've ever experienced -- constantly, night and day. It burrows

into the skin (somehow thinking it's burrowing into plant matter) and

secretes a chemical intended to liquefy plant tissue. I got 'em when I

was on an herb field trip in Arkansas/Oklahoma, after walking through

some fields with high grasses. Nothing really worked to stop the

itching -- and I had all kinds of advice from everyone else. I also

had many huge mosquito bites and a bit of poison ivy at the same time.

The good news is that I didn't get bitten by any of the copperheads,

who were everywhere we camped.

AFAIK, the adult chiggers are actually the only vegetarians, for some reason the larvae like blood/digested flesh

we are not the prefered prey, its actually birds and reptiles i've read. but, you know, someone comes along and "yum!"

they do inject us with their saliva, which breaks down the skin cells and whatnot, so they can drink it up

this is partially why they itch like mad, the other is they are 99% of the time brushed off by the bitee, leaving their mouth parts behind in our skin

and, again, AFAIk, they actually don't burrow, they're not built fer it..

but, i've never actually been bitten by chiggers, lucked out i guess

yarrow Sep 1, 2008 2:40 PM Re: Thanks...

Oh by the way, what is a chigger?>>

It's the larval form of a mite that creates the most intense itching I've ever experienced -- constantly, night and day. It burrows into the skin (somehow thinking it's burrowing into plant matter) and secretes a chemical intended to liquefy plant tissue. I got 'em when I was on an herb field trip in Arkansas/Oklahoma, after walking through some fields with high grasses. Nothing really worked to stop the itching -- and I had all kinds of advice from everyone else. I also had many huge mosquito bites and a bit of poison ivy at the same time. The good news is that I didn't get bitten by any of the copperheads, who were everywhere we camped.

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Sorry to be dense but, what does AFAIK stand for? Please and thank you.

SoyPalmtree

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 6:48 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

AFAIK, the adult chiggers are actually the only vegetarians, for some reason the larvae like blood/digested flesh

we are not the prefered prey, its actually birds and reptiles i've read. but, you know, someone comes along and " yum! "

they do inject us with their saliva, which breaks down the skin cells and whatnot, so they can drink it up

this is partially why they itch like mad, the other is they are 99% of the time brushed off by the bitee, leaving their mouth parts behind in our skin

yarrow Sep 1, 2008 2:40 PM

It's the larval form of a mite that creates the most intense itching I've ever experienced -- constantly, night and day. It burrows into the skin (somehow thinking it's burrowing into plant matter) and secretes a chemical intended to liquefy plant tissue. I got 'em when I was on an herb field trip in Arkansas/Oklahoma, after walking through some fields with high grasses. Nothing really worked to stop the itching -- and I had all kinds of advice from everyone else. I also had many huge mosquito bites and a bit of poison ivy at the same time. The good news is that I didn't get bitten by any of the copperheads, who were everywhere we camped.

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

As far as I know

Jo

, " SoyPalmtree SoyPalmtree "

<soypalmtree wrote:

>

> Sorry to be dense but, what does AFAIK stand for? Please and thank

you.

> SoyPalmtree

>

> On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 6:48 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

>

> >

> >

> > AFAIK, the adult chiggers are actually the only vegetarians, for

some

> > reason the larvae like blood/digested flesh

> >

> > we are not the prefered prey, its actually birds and reptiles

i've read.

> > but, you know, someone comes along and " yum! "

> >

> > they do inject us with their saliva, which breaks down the skin

cells and

> > whatnot, so they can drink it up

> >

> > this is partially why they itch like mad, the other is they are

99% of the

> > time brushed off by the bitee, leaving their mouth parts behind

in our skin

> >

> > and, again, AFAIk, they actually don't burrow, they're not built

fer it..

> >

> > but, i've never actually been bitten by chiggers, lucked out i

guess

> >

> >

> >

> > yarrow

> > Sep 1, 2008 2:40 PM

> >

> > Re: Thanks...

> >

> > At 6:57 PM +0000 9/1/08, Peter VV wrote:

> > Oh by the way, what is a chigger?

> > >>

> >

> >

> > It's the larval form of a mite that creates the most intense

itching I've

> > ever experienced -- constantly, night and day. It burrows into

the skin

> > (somehow thinking it's burrowing into plant matter) and secretes

a chemical

> > intended to liquefy plant tissue. I got 'em when I was on an herb

field trip

> > in Arkansas/Oklahoma, after walking through some fields with high

grasses.

> > Nothing really worked to stop the itching -- and I had all kinds

of advice

> > from everyone else. I also had many huge mosquito bites and a bit

of poison

> > ivy at the same time. The good news is that I didn't get bitten

by any of

> > the copperheads, who were everywhere we camped.

> >

> > With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech

censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied,

chains us all irrevocably.

> >

> >

> >

>

Ah. Thank you. :)

SoyPalmtree

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 11:52 PM, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

As far as I knowJo , " SoyPalmtree SoyPalmtree "

<soypalmtree wrote:>> Sorry to be dense but, what does AFAIK stand for? Please and thank you.> SoyPalmtree>

> On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 6:48 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:> > >> >> > AFAIK, the adult chiggers are actually the only vegetarians, for some

> > reason the larvae like blood/digested flesh> >> > we are not the prefered prey, its actually birds and reptiles i've read.> > but, you know, someone comes along and " yum! "

> >> > they do inject us with their saliva, which breaks down the skin cells and> > whatnot, so they can drink it up> >> > this is partially why they itch like mad, the other is they are

99% of the> > time brushed off by the bitee, leaving their mouth parts behind in our skin> >> > and, again, AFAIk, they actually don't burrow, they're not built fer it..> >

> > but, i've never actually been bitten by chiggers, lucked out i guess> >> >> >

> > yarrow > Sep 1, 2008 2:40 PM> > > > Re: Thanks...

> >> > At 6:57 PM +0000 9/1/08, Peter VV wrote:> > Oh by the way, what is a chigger?> > >>> >> >> > It's the larval form of a mite that creates the most intense

itching I've> > ever experienced -- constantly, night and day. It burrows into the skin> > (somehow thinking it's burrowing into plant matter) and secretes a chemical> > intended to liquefy plant tissue. I got 'em when I was on an herb

field trip> > in Arkansas/Oklahoma, after walking through some fields with high grasses.> > Nothing really worked to stop the itching -- and I had all kinds of advice> > from everyone else. I also had many huge mosquito bites and a bit

of poison> > ivy at the same time. The good news is that I didn't get bitten by any of> > the copperheads, who were everywhere we camped.> >> > With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech

censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.> >> > > >>

As Far As I Know

:)

SoyPalmtree SoyPalmtree Sep 1, 2008 7:08 PM Re: Thanks...

Sorry to be dense but, what does AFAIK stand for? Please and thank you.

SoyPalmtree

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 6:48 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

we are not the prefered prey, its actually birds and reptiles i've read. but, you know, someone comes along and "yum!"

yarrow Sep 1, 2008 2:40 PM