IndiaDivine.org

What do you have for lunch?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi all.. am new ish to the board and am in 'transition' adding one

vegan step as often as I can.. so am now on soya yoghurts, vegan

margerine etc.. no milk in my tea anymore etc.

BUT.. I am a bit limited on lunches.. or I THINK i am.. soo.. thought

you wouldn't mind enlightening me.

currently I'm eating houmous which i found 3 flavoured tubs of in the

UK.. so get a bit of variety.

Also love banana sandwiches and don't mind jam but as i have a sugar

imbalance i'm starving not long after those...

thanks for any advice you can offer.

lunch today:japanese buckwheat noodles. we can buy them in packs of 4. each bundle is about a serving. cook em and mix with:minced garlicsoy saucesesame oil and seedsminced habaneros (i like it hot) or whatever

sliced green onionsa bit of agave nectarrice vinegar. delicious. that was lunch. you lunch may vary. blake On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 3:45 PM, purplehugs2007 <purple.hugs wrote:

Hi all.. am new ish to the board and am in 'transition' adding one

vegan step as often as I can.. so am now on soya yoghurts, vegan

margerine etc.. no milk in my tea anymore etc.

BUT.. I am a bit limited on lunches.. or I THINK i am.. soo.. thought

you wouldn't mind enlightening me.

currently I'm eating houmous which i found 3 flavoured tubs of in the

UK.. so get a bit of variety.

Also love banana sandwiches and don't mind jam but as i have a sugar

imbalance i'm starving not long after those...

thanks for any advice you can offer.

Lunch ideas. Some of them are not ideal for other reasons but they

are a nice compromise when you are trying to transition from one

lifestyle to another:

1. Shakes made with soy protein, soy milk, bananas, frozen

strawberries, flax seed oil, and organic baby oatmeal (it dissolves

easy and gives the shake some bulk.

2. Taco shells with vegan refried beans and/or a vegan meat

substitute warmed up in taco seasoning mix, lettuce, tomato, and if

you can find it the nacho flavor cheezy cheeze (made by Play Food).

omg so good.

3. Microwave products by Amy's. They do a yummy tofu, brown rice,

and veggie mix. Also some of their vegan burritos are good too.

4. Fast food: Taco Bell's 7 layer burrito without the cheese or

cream cheese. Pizza Hut pizza with traditional crust with just the

sauce and veggies, no cheese.

5. Stir fry veggie pack from freezer section, mix in tofu and

favorite stir fry sauce. (takes 5 min)

6. Almond butter on sliced apples. (heaven) with a salad. Cindy's

makes a great Miso dressing.

Hope that helps!

Maggie

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 5:45 PM, purplehugs2007

<purple.hugs wrote:

> Hi all.. am new ish to the board and am in 'transition' adding one

> vegan step as often as I can.. so am now on soya yoghurts, vegan

> margerine etc.. no milk in my tea anymore etc.

>

> BUT.. I am a bit limited on lunches.. or I THINK i am.. soo.. thought

> you wouldn't mind enlightening me.

>

> currently I'm eating houmous which i found 3 flavoured tubs of in the

> UK.. so get a bit of variety.

>

> Also love banana sandwiches and don't mind jam but as i have a sugar

> imbalance i'm starving not long after those...

>

> thanks for any advice you can offer.

>

>

ickles! taco bell

ick ick ick

um, sorry, can't have the rice in a 7 layer burrito either...its got casien....

Maggie Vining Sep 8, 2008 8:38 PM Re: What do you have for lunch?

Lunch ideas. Some of them are not ideal for other reasons but theyare a nice compromise when you are trying to transition from onelifestyle to another:1. Shakes made with soy protein, soy milk, bananas, frozenstrawberries, flax seed oil, and organic baby oatmeal (it dissolveseasy and gives the shake some bulk.2. Taco shells with vegan refried beans and/or a vegan meatsubstitute warmed up in taco seasoning mix, lettuce, tomato, and ifyou can find it the nacho flavor cheezy cheeze (made by Play Food).omg so good.3. Microwave products by Amy's. They do a yummy tofu, brown rice,and veggie mix. Also some of their vegan burritos are good too.4. Fast food: Taco Bell's 7 layer burrito without the cheese orcream cheese. Pizza Hut pizza with traditional crust with just thesauce and veggies, no cheese.5. Stir fry veggie pack from freezer section, mix in tofu andfavorite stir fry sauce. (takes 5 min)6. Almond butter on sliced apples. (heaven) with a salad. Cindy'smakes a great Miso dressing.Hope that helps!MaggieOn Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 5:45 PM, purplehugs2007<purple.hugs (AT) btinternet (DOT) com> wrote:> Hi all.. am new ish to the board and am in 'transition' adding one> vegan step as often as I can.. so am now on soya yoghurts, vegan> margerine etc.. no milk in my tea anymore etc.>> BUT.. I am a bit limited on lunches.. or I THINK i am.. soo.. thought> you wouldn't mind enlightening me.>> currently I'm eating houmous which i found 3 flavoured tubs of in the> UK.. so get a bit of variety.>> Also love banana sandwiches and don't mind jam but as i have a sugar> imbalance i'm starving not long after those...>> thanks for any advice you can offer.>>

you're bored in retirement cuz your energies drained away, your money had no answer, you just still want more! your life was never different then the guy next door!

all your neighbors are competitors, where'd you all go wrong? there never was a mountain to climb. potential friends are now your enemies, where'd you all go wrong? there never was a mountain to climb.

today was capelini with tomato sauce, fried tofu, garlic, basil, fresh tomatoes, red bell peppers

yesterday was, "turkey" sandwich..sorry, don't recall the name of the deli product....rebecca likes it, so she gets it...so, "turkey" slices (soy) with veganise, lettuce, onions, pickles on some italian bread, with a side of grapes, peaches, nectarines, and melon

saturday...i think it was left over pizza. that makes sense. we made pizza on friday afternoon

now, i assume you are talking about eating away from home (unemployment means i get to putter around the house, er graze in the garden)...

for me, it used to be all about leftovers. whatever we had for dinner the night before became the next day's lunch.

used to do the amy's frozen dinners and such, but they just got tooo expensive, and frankly, rebecca and i can cook better then that.

cheers

fraggle

purplehugs2007 Sep 8, 2008 5:45 PM What do you have for lunch?

Hi all.. am new ish to the board and am in 'transition' adding one vegan step as often as I can.. so am now on soya yoghurts, vegan margerine etc.. no milk in my tea anymore etc. BUT.. I am a bit limited on lunches.. or I THINK i am.. soo.. thought you wouldn't mind enlightening me. currently I'm eating houmous which i found 3 flavoured tubs of in the UK.. so get a bit of variety. Also love banana sandwiches and don't mind jam but as i have a sugar imbalance i'm starving not long after those... thanks for any advice you can offer.

you're bored in retirement cuz your energies drained away, your money had no answer, you just still want more! your life was never different then the guy next door!

all your neighbors are competitors, where'd you all go wrong? there never was a mountain to climb. potential friends are now your enemies, where'd you all go wrong? there never was a mountain to climb.

Hi

Banana sandwiches are full of quick release sugars, and virtually no

protein, which is why you're hungry again very quickly after them! I'd

suggest adding some protein to that mix - maybe a couple of handfuls of

nuts. I often have Almond butter sandwiches (and there are plenty of other

nut butters out there), or redwoods chicken style slices.

BB

Peter

-

" purplehugs2007 " <purple.hugs

Monday, September 08, 2008 10:45 PM

>

> BUT.. I am a bit limited on lunches.. or I THINK i am.. soo.. thought

>

> currently I'm eating houmous which i found 3 flavoured tubs of in the

>

> Also love banana sandwiches and don't mind jam but as i have a sugar

>

>

>

> ---

>

> To send an email to

> -! Groups Links

>

>

>

I just made a mushroom & black eyed bean ragout for dinner, and we have a cocnut & lime cheesecake ( made with tofu/creamed coconut/and..........avocado, yep you heard me right!)

Peter vv

purplehugs2007 <purple.hugs Sent: Monday, 8 September, 2008 10:45:59 PM What do you have for lunch?

Hi all.. am new ish to the board and am in 'transition' adding one vegan step as often as I can.. so am now on soya yoghurts, vegan margerine etc.. no milk in my tea anymore etc. BUT.. I am a bit limited on lunches.. or I THINK i am.. soo.. thought you wouldn't mind enlightening me. currently I'm eating houmous which i found 3 flavoured tubs of in the UK.. so get a bit of variety. Also love banana sandwiches and don't mind jam but as i have a sugar imbalance i'm starving not long after those... thanks for any advice you can offer.

with avocado huh?

so, how did it taste? how much avocado?

Peter VV Sep 9, 2008 7:04 AM Re: What do you have for lunch?

I just made a mushroom & black eyed bean ragout for dinner, and we have a cocnut & lime cheesecake ( made with tofu/creamed coconut/and..........avocado, yep you heard me right!)

Peter vv

purplehugs2007 <purple.hugs (AT) btinternet (DOT) com> Sent: Monday, 8 September, 2008 10:45:59 PM What do you have for lunch?

Have you checked the ingredients of the hummous? Sometimes the supermarket ones have lactose or milk in them.

I like:

Almond butter sandwiches

Nut roast in sandwiches

Nuts, raisins and seeds

Hummous, sweetcorn and rocket wraps

Cold sliced Redwoods' roast in sandwiches

Vegan sausages with salad

Redwoods chicken-style pieces with salad and a roll

Rice salad with pine nuts

You could try various pates - avacado, mushroom etc. or maybe take soup in a flask.

There are plenty of things to put in sandwiches, or have with salad - so I hope you find some more that you like.

Jo

-

purplehugs2007

Monday, September 08, 2008 10:45 PM

I assumed, when I replied, that the lunches would be for taking to work, but if not, then there are endless possibilites.

Jo

-

Maggie Vining

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 1:38 AM

Re: What do you have for lunch?

Lunch ideas. Some of them are not ideal for other reasons but theyare a nice compromise when you are trying to transition from onelifestyle to another:1. Shakes made with soy protein, soy milk, bananas, frozenstrawberries, flax seed oil, and organic baby oatmeal (it dissolveseasy and gives the shake some bulk.2. Taco shells with vegan refried beans and/or a vegan meatsubstitute warmed up in taco seasoning mix, lettuce, tomato, and ifyou can find it the nacho flavor cheezy cheeze (made by Play Food).omg so good.3. Microwave products by Amy's. They do a yummy tofu, brown rice,and veggie mix. Also some of their vegan burritos are good too.4. Fast food: Taco Bell's 7 layer burrito without the cheese orcream cheese. Pizza Hut pizza with traditional crust with just thesauce and veggies, no cheese.5. Stir fry veggie pack from freezer section, mix in tofu andfavorite stir fry sauce. (takes 5 min)6. Almond butter on sliced apples. (heaven) with a salad. Cindy'smakes a great Miso dressing.Hope that helps!MaggieOn Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 5:45 PM, purplehugs2007<purple.hugs (AT) btinternet (DOT) com> wrote:> Hi all.. am new ish to the board and am in 'transition' adding one> vegan step as often as I can.. so am now on soya yoghurts, vegan> margerine etc.. no milk in my tea anymore etc.>> BUT.. I am a bit limited on lunches.. or I THINK i am.. soo.. thought> you wouldn't mind enlightening me.>> currently I'm eating houmous which i found 3 flavoured tubs of in the> UK.. so get a bit of variety.>> Also love banana sandwiches and don't mind jam but as i have a sugar> imbalance i'm starving not long after those...>> thanks for any advice you can offer.>>

Ooh - can we come for a piece of cheesecake :-)

Jo

-

Peter VV

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 3:04 PM

Peter vv

purplehugs2007 <purple.hugs (AT) btinternet (DOT) com> Sent: Monday, 8 September, 2008 10:45:59 PM What do you have for lunch?

I buy vegetarian refried beans with no fat and just eat a burrito with whole grain tortillas and lots of veggies, green chilis, salsa, etc. It is fast and fat free and sugar free. For dessert, always fruit. Also, buy vegan healthy chips at the health food store, scatter over a plate, toss beans on it, greens, salsa, olives, onions, tomatoes, green chilis, jalapenos, avocado, etc., etc. and have a feast. And lots of water.

In a rush it is peanut butter on whole grain bread, a piece of fruit and off we go with it still in hand.

Thanks peter :) I'll do that, i've added sunflower seeds today

too. :)

Some great tips on here - am having falafals in a wrap tomorrow..

problem at work is we don't have any way of heating up lunch, but

cold pasta works too. :)

, " Peter " <metalscarab wrote:

>

> Hi

>

> Banana sandwiches are full of quick release sugars, and virtually

no

> protein, which is why you're hungry again very quickly after them!

I'd

> suggest adding some protein to that mix - maybe a couple of

handfuls of

> nuts. I often have Almond butter sandwiches (and there are plenty

of other

> nut butters out there), or redwoods chicken style slices.

>

> BB

> Peter

>

> -

> " purplehugs2007 " <purple.hugs

>

> Monday, September 08, 2008 10:45 PM

> What do you have for lunch?

>

>

> > Hi all.. am new ish to the board and am in 'transition' adding

one

> > vegan step as often as I can.. so am now on soya yoghurts, vegan

> > margerine etc.. no milk in my tea anymore etc.

> >

> > BUT.. I am a bit limited on lunches.. or I THINK i am.. soo..

thought

> > you wouldn't mind enlightening me.

> >

> > currently I'm eating houmous which i found 3 flavoured tubs of

in the

> > UK.. so get a bit of variety.

> >

> > Also love banana sandwiches and don't mind jam but as i have a

sugar

> > imbalance i'm starving not long after those...

> >

> > thanks for any advice you can offer.

> >

> >

> > ---

> >

> > To send an email to

> > -! Groups Links

> >

> >

> >

>

now that cheesecake sounds like I need the receipe for it! lol

Sounds very interesting and pudding is my favourite part of any

meal! lol

, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

>

> I just made a mushroom & black eyed bean ragout for dinner, and we

have a cocnut & lime cheesecake ( made with tofu/creamed

coconut/and..........avocado, yep you heard me right!)

>

>  

> Peter vv

>

>

>

>

> purplehugs2007 <purple.hugs

>

> Monday, 8 September, 2008 10:45:59 PM

> What do you have for lunch?

>

>

>

> BUT.. I am a bit limited on lunches.. or I THINK i am.. soo..

thought

>

> currently I'm eating houmous which i found 3 flavoured tubs of in

the

>

> Also love banana sandwiches and don't mind jam but as i have a

sugar

>

>

Hiya

Lunchtime is usually quick so I resort to... a sandwich.... but since cutting out dairy find am finding them more exciting these days!

My favourite is avocado slices, with a little balsamic vinegar, and some tomato.

On the subject of sandwich fillings, bought a fantastic new book with recipes at the weekend, called 'Another dinner is possible'- by Mike and Isy, which has a section on mouthwatering sandwich combos, including vegan pesto and sliced mushrooms, or stamed and mashed cauliflower seasoned and mixed with mustard, vegan mayo and lemon juice.

Also find Rose Elliot's 'Vegan Feasts' has lots of very gorgeous recipes with things which would work well for a lunch, including a section on good but not too fussy pasta sauces.

http://www.eco-action.org/teapot/anotherdinner.htm

best wishes

Bea

purplehugs2007 <purple.hugs Sent: Monday, 8 September, 2008 22:45:59 What do you have for lunch?

Rice salads work cold as well, one of my faves is a rice salad with lime juice and cumin dressing with red kidney beans and sweetcorn.

Peter vv

purplehugs2007 <purple.hugs Sent: Tuesday, 9 September, 2008 7:41:40 PM Re: What do you have for lunch?

Thanks peter :) I'll do that, i've added sunflower seeds today too. :) Some great tips on here - am having falafals in a wrap tomorrow.. problem at work is we don't have any way of heating up lunch, but cold pasta works too. :) @gro ups.com, "Peter" <metalscarab@ ...> wrote:>> Hi> > Banana sandwiches are full of quick release sugars, and virtually no > protein, which is why you're hungry again very quickly after them! I'd > suggest adding some protein to that mix - maybe a couple of handfuls of > nuts. I often have Almond butter sandwiches (and there are plenty of other > nut butters out there), or redwoods chicken style slices.> > BB> Peter> > ----- Original Message

----- > "purplehugs2007" <purple.hugs@ ...>> <@gro ups.com>> Monday, September 08, 2008 10:45 PM> What do you have for lunch?> > > > Hi all.. am new ish to the board and am in 'transition' adding one> > vegan step as often as I can.. so am now on soya yoghurts, vegan> > margerine etc.. no milk in my tea anymore etc.> >> > BUT.. I am a bit limited on lunches.. or I THINK i am.. soo.. thought> > you wouldn't mind enlightening me.> >> > currently I'm eating houmous which i found 3 flavoured tubs of in the> > UK.. so get a bit of variety.> >> > Also love banana sandwiches and don't mind jam but as i have a

sugar> > imbalance i'm starving not long after those...> >> > thanks for any advice you can offer.> >> >> > ------------ --------- --------- ------> >> > To send an email to > > -unsubscr ibe! Groups Links> >> >> >>

Sorry?, what are you asking?

Peter vv

CARIB VEGAN CHEF IN LAS VEGAS <vegchefmayra Sent: Tuesday, 9 September, 2008 7:24:26 PM Re: What do you have for lunch?

Hello Any help ??I am vegan chef..Shot me an email...PLEASE before you eat any of that

By the time you get here it will be gone!

Peter vv

jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork Sent: Tuesday, 9 September, 2008 5:42:38 PMRe: What do you have for lunch?

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

I just made a mushroom & black eyed bean ragout for dinner, and we have a cocnut & lime cheesecake ( made with tofu/creamed coconut/and. ......... avocado, yep you heard me right!)

Peter vv

purplehugs2007 <purple.hugs@ btinternet. com>@gro ups.comMonday, 8 September, 2008 10:45:59 PM What do you have for lunch?

1 whole avocado, gives it a richness.I will search out the recipe and post it soon.........( my mum made it for me , so I have to get the recipe from her)

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Tuesday, 9 September, 2008 5:10:41 PMRe: What do you have for lunch?

with avocado huh?

so, how did it taste? how much avocado?

Peter VV Sep 9, 2008 7:04 AM @gro ups.com Re: What do you have for lunch?

I just made a mushroom & black eyed bean ragout for dinner, and we have a cocnut & lime cheesecake ( made with tofu/creamed coconut/and. ......... avocado, yep you heard me right!)

Peter vv

purplehugs2007 <purple.hugs@ btinternet. com>@gro ups.comMonday, 8 September, 2008 10:45:59 PM What do you have for lunch?

I'm in awe that y'all prepare elaborate lunches. Or maybe I'm lazy.

" Lunch " for me (when I don't forget to eat) is usually something like

an apple, or a date/nut bar, sometimes a few almonds. Maybe a sip of

soymilk, if I'm indoors.

On the other hand, whenever I go to conferences or other all-day

events where I assume I will not be able to find food, I bring lots

of nonperishables with me --fruit, date/nut bars, peanut butter on

crackers, maybe some carrots or cucumbers.

today was sauteed tofu, green beans, wax beans, red bell pepper, garlic, basil, in coconut milk over basmati rice

tastes dang good with the beers i just picked up at linden brewing

yum

then soon off to Herbivore for happy hour....

:)

cheers

fraggle

yarrow Sep 9, 2008 1:01 PM Re: What do you have for lunch?

I'm in awe that y'all prepare elaborate lunches. Or maybe I'm lazy."Lunch" for me (when I don't forget to eat) is usually something like an apple, or a date/nut bar, sometimes a few almonds. Maybe a sip of soymilk, if I'm indoors.On the other hand, whenever I go to conferences or other all-day events where I assume I will not be able to find food, I bring lots of nonperishables with me --fruit, date/nut bars, peanut butter on crackers, maybe some carrots or cucumbers.

:-(

-

Peter VV

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 8:19 PM

By the time you get here it will be gone!

Peter vv

jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork > Sent: Tuesday, 9 September, 2008 5:42:38 PMRe: What do you have for lunch?

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv

Maggie Vining <Maggie.Vining Sent: Monday, September 8, 2008 5:38:38 PMRe: What do you have for lunch?

Lunch ideas. Some of them are not ideal for other reasons but theyare a nice compromise when you are trying to transition from onelifestyle to another:1. Shakes made with soy protein, soy milk, bananas, frozenstrawberries, flax seed oil, and organic baby oatmeal (it dissolveseasy and gives the shake some bulk.2. Taco shells with vegan refried beans and/or a vegan meatsubstitute warmed up in taco seasoning mix, lettuce, tomato, and ifyou can find it the nacho flavor cheezy cheeze (made by Play Food).omg so good.3. Microwave products by Amy's. They do a yummy tofu, brown rice,and veggie mix. Also some of their vegan burritos are good too.4. Fast food: Taco Bell's 7 layer burrito without the cheese orcream cheese. Pizza Hut pizza with traditional crust with just thesauce and veggies, no cheese.5. Stir fry veggie pack from freezer section, mix in tofu andfavorite stir fry

sauce. (takes 5 min)6. Almond butter on sliced apples. (heaven) with a salad. Cindy'smakes a great Miso dressing.Hope that helps!MaggieOn Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 5:45 PM, purplehugs2007<purple.hugs@ btinternet. com> wrote:> Hi all.. am new ish to the board and am in 'transition' adding one> vegan step as often as I can.. so am now on soya yoghurts, vegan> margerine etc.. no milk in my tea anymore etc.>> BUT.. I am a bit limited on lunches.. or I THINK i am.. soo.. thought> you wouldn't mind enlightening me.>> currently I'm eating houmous which i found 3 flavoured tubs of in the> UK.. so get a bit of variety.>> Also love banana sandwiches and don't mind jam but as i have a sugar> imbalance i'm starving not

long after those...>> thanks for any advice you can offer.>>