IndiaDivine.org

In-Flight Plight of a Famished Vegan

Rate this topic

Guest guest

By WAYNE PACELLE; as told to JOAN RAYMOND

Published: September 8, 2008

OF all the things that can upset a frequent flier like me, I have to say the worst annoyance isn’t marching through security with my shoes off. It’s my stomach. More specifically, the hunger pangs.

Skip to next paragraph

Enlarge This Image

Michelle Riley/Humane Society of the United States

Wayne Pacelle is president and chief executive of the Humane Society of the United States.

Q & A

Q. How often do you fly?

A. I’m out of the office, sometimes on short notice, about two weeks or more out of a month.

Q. What’s your favorite airport?

A. Oakland International. There’s a Mexican restaurant where I can get a great veggie burrito with no cheese.

Q. Of all the places you’ve traveled, what’s the best?

A. Italy, especially Venice and Rome. Great food and great people.

Q. Do you have a secret airport vice?

A. I’m greedy when it comes to power. At the airport, I’m always searching for electrical outlets so I can keep working while I’m waiting for a flight.

I’m a vegan. That means no meat, no dairy, no animal products of any type.

But all of us frequent-flier types are feeling somewhat starved.

Sure, airline food was an easy target for all of us to mock. We’re not laughing today.

Some of those airline meals I used to scorn are actually looking pretty good right now. They had rice and vegetables, foods that a vegan like me could actually eat even if it was occasionally a little difficult to identify the particular fare.

Though their choices are limited, vegetarians can find some decent food at the airport. Vegans have it a little tougher.

Since I fly so much, and often at short notice, I often think I should approach my food needs more diligently. I do try to pack some food before flights. But I sometimes have problems with security.

On a recent flight I brought a jar of vegan creamy peanut butter with me. The security agent insisted that my carry-on food product was a cream, and therefore a forbidden substance.

A rather strange discussion ensued in which I tried to explain that peanut butter was a solid with a “creamy†consistency. Creamy was, in this case, an adjective. And the peanut butter should not be thrown in the trash.

The agent looked at me as if I were as nutty as my peanut butter.

I demanded to see his supervisor, convinced that I could dazzle him with my knowledge of grammar. I got a blank stare from him.

Fortunately, he cleared the product. And I’m grateful I didn’t have to paraphrase Charlton Heston by saying, “You can take my peanut butter from my cold, dead hands.â€

Sometimes flight attendants take pity on me.

I particularly like the flight attendants who distribute Biscoff cookies. They taste great and are a safe choice for vegans.

The attendants usually give one package to a customer. But once I explain my dilemma, they pass me a few extra packages on the sly.

In terms of vegan fare, I come up wanting in many small to middle-size cities, especially those in the Midwest and South.

After speaking recently at the annual gala of the Capital Humane Society in Nebraska, I arrived at the Omaha airport on time for my flight, yet didn’t get off the ground for eight hours.

Omaha is famous for its steaks. That’s great for a meat eater; not so great for a vegan. I felt a little like Tom Hanks on that island in “Cast Away†since I had to be resourceful in trying to find food.

I wound up scavenging the newspaper shops and paid a king’s ransom for some mixed nuts.

Perhaps it’s the delirium of hunger, but I often fantasize that all airports might someday take up the slack by offering us vegans some wholesome choices. All I want is some decent food that doesn’t involve animals in any way.

There is some good news in all of this. I often enjoy talking to my seatmates. And when they find out what I do for a living, many people whip out wallets and show me pictures of the family pets.

I always like that. Animals do connect people and almost all of us have a favorite animal story to share. People are passionate about their pets. It gives me a lot of hope.

And it’s that emotional satisfaction that nourishes my soul. If not my stomach.

As told to Joan Raymondjoan.raymond

More Articles in Business » A version of this article appeared in print on September 9, 2008, on page C7 of the New York edition.

Peter vv

last year when we went to europe, i just didn't eat. our "vegan" meal on the flight out was wrong, covered in cheese or somesuch..it was nasty looking...

i think we had some grapes..probably covered in pesticides. reebcca packed some trail mix...but, i'm the kinda flyer where i don't wanna move from my seat..just give me a book and leave me be...eating equates that sometime i'm going to have to get up and use the facilities, and i get stubbirn

so, no eating, no moving, flight s over and done, and thats it

Peter VV Sep 9, 2008 7:06 AM Re: In-Flight Plight of a Famished Vegan

OF all the things that can upset a frequent flier like me, I have to say the worst annoyance isn’t marching through security with my shoes off. It’s my stomach. More specifically, the hunger pangs.

Skip to next paragraph

Enlarge This Image

Wayne Pacelle is president and chief executive of the Humane Society of the United States.

Q & A

Q. How often do you fly?

A. I’m out of the office, sometimes on short notice, about two weeks or more out of a month.

A. Oakland International. There’s a Mexican restaurant where I can get a great veggie burrito with no cheese.

A. I’m greedy when it comes to power. At the airport, I’m always searching for electrical outlets so I can keep working while I’m waiting for a flight.

Sure, airline food was an easy target for all of us to mock. We’re not laughing today.

Some of those airline meals I used to scorn are actually looking pretty good right now. They had rice and vegetables, foods that a vegan like me could actually eat even if it was occasionally a little difficult to identify the particular fare.

Though their choices are limited, vegetarians can find some decent food at the airport. Vegans have it a little tougher.

Since I fly so much, and often at short notice, I often think I should approach my food needs more diligently. I do try to pack some food before flights. But I sometimes have problems with security.

On a recent flight I brought a jar of vegan creamy peanut butter with me. The security agent insisted that my carry-on food product was a cream, and therefore a forbidden substance.

A rather strange discussion ensued in which I tried to explain that peanut butter was a solid with a “creamy†consistency. Creamy was, in this case, an adjective. And the peanut butter should not be thrown in the trash.

I demanded to see his supervisor, convinced that I could dazzle him with my knowledge of grammar. I got a blank stare from him.

Fortunately, he cleared the product. And I’m grateful I didn’t have to paraphrase Charlton Heston by saying, “You can take my peanut butter from my cold, dead hands.â€

I particularly like the flight attendants who distribute Biscoff cookies. They taste great and are a safe choice for vegans.

The attendants usually give one package to a customer. But once I explain my dilemma, they pass me a few extra packages on the sly.

In terms of vegan fare, I come up wanting in many small to middle-size cities, especially those in the Midwest and South.

After speaking recently at the annual gala of the Capital Humane Society in Nebraska, I arrived at the Omaha airport on time for my flight, yet didn’t get off the ground for eight hours.

Omaha is famous for its steaks. That’s great for a meat eater; not so great for a vegan. I felt a little like Tom Hanks on that island in “Cast Away†since I had to be resourceful in trying to find food.

I wound up scavenging the newspaper shops and paid a king’s ransom for some mixed nuts.

Perhaps it’s the delirium of hunger, but I often fantasize that all airports might someday take up the slack by offering us vegans some wholesome choices. All I want is some decent food that doesn’t involve animals in any way.

There is some good news in all of this. I often enjoy talking to my seatmates. And when they find out what I do for a living, many people whip out wallets and show me pictures of the family pets.

I always like that. Animals do connect people and almost all of us have a favorite animal story to share. People are passionate about their pets. It gives me a lot of hope.

As told to Joan Raymondjoan.raymond (AT) nytimes (DOT) com

More Articles in Business » A version of this article appeared in print on September 9, 2008, on page C7 of the New York edition.

Peter vv

you're bored in retirement cuz your energies drained away, your money had no answer, you just still want more! your life was never different then the guy next door!

all your neighbors are competitors, where'd you all go wrong? there never was a mountain to climb. potential friends are now your enemies, where'd you all go wrong? there never was a mountain to climb.

your a bundle of fun to travel with arent you?....:)

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Tuesday, 9 September, 2008 5:15:51 PMRe: In-Flight Plight of a Famished Vegan

last year when we went to europe, i just didn't eat. our "vegan" meal on the flight out was wrong, covered in cheese or somesuch..it was nasty looking...

i think we had some grapes..probably covered in pesticides. reebcca packed some trail mix...but, i'm the kinda flyer where i don't wanna move from my seat..just give me a book and leave me be...eating equates that sometime i'm going to have to get up and use the facilities, and i get stubbirn

Peter VV Sep 9, 2008 7:06 AM @gro ups.com Re: In-Flight Plight of a Famished Vegan

Skip to next paragraph

Enlarge This Image

Q & A

Q. How often do you fly?

As told to Joan Raymondjoan.raymond@ nytimes.com

Peter vv

you're bored in retirement cuz your energies drained away, your money had no answer, you just still want more! your life was never different then the guy next door!

all your neighbors are competitors, where'd you all go wrong? there never was a mountain to climb. potential friends are now your enemies, where'd you all go wrong? there never was a mountain to climb.

actually, yes, yes i am

but, planes aren't travelling, they are a means of getting from point A to point B...

once we get there...its all good

now, if we were in a car, where we could stop if we awanted, t ogo see the world's largest ball of twine, or to stop at every brewery on the way, that's different

but planes..planes are for getting thru ASAP and be done with it, so you can move on and enjoy oneself

Peter VV Sep 9, 2008 12:21 PM Re: In-Flight Plight of a Famished Vegan

your a bundle of fun to travel with arent you?....:)

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Tuesday, 9 September, 2008 5:15:51 PMRe: In-Flight Plight of a Famished Vegan

Peter VV Sep 9, 2008 7:06 AM @gro ups.com Re: In-Flight Plight of a Famished Vegan

Skip to next paragraph

Enlarge This Image

Q & A

Q. How often do you fly?

As told to Joan Raymondjoan.raymond@ nytimes.com

Peter vv