Guest guest

I'm not sure how many of you have read Dominion, by Matt Scully, but I

was surprised to hear that he was the speechwriter for Palin at the

Republican National Convention (as well as during the runoff, I'm

guessing).

If you haven't read Dominion, it was a surprisingly well-researched

and intelligent argument against hunting, eating, or using animals for

entertainment. Really good fodder for talking with conservatives

about the subject--it argues from a religious perspective.

Although he was also a speechwriter for Reagan and Bush (both Sr. and

Jr.), I find it a huge stretch to justify working for Palin--a near-

rabid pro-gun hunter and anti-wildlife conservative. She seems to

stand for everything he would dislike. Maybe he compartmentalizes his

work and his personal views, but I don't see how he can live with it.

Any thoughts?

i started to read it, but

a. he poo-pooed veganism within the first chapter or so, and it left a bad taste in my mouth

b. i'm not a particularly religious person, so the general tone of the book made it harder for me to want to read, and when i got into his statememt of "its ok to keep dairy cows", i lost interest and put the book aside...

he also used to be a speech writer for GW as well

i assume he wrote for her because of their similiar background, religious beliefs, and cultural ties..just a guess of course

whitty__ Sep 9, 2008 3:23 PM Political U.S. mindbender

I'm not sure how many of you have read Dominion, by Matt Scully, but I was surprised to hear that he was the speechwriter for Palin at the Republican National Convention (as well as during the runoff, I'm guessing). If you haven't read Dominion, it was a surprisingly well-researched and intelligent argument against hunting, eating, or using animals for entertainment. Really good fodder for talking with conservatives about the subject--it argues from a religious perspective.Although he was also a speechwriter for Reagan and Bush (both Sr. and Jr.), I find it a huge stretch to justify working for Palin--a near-rabid pro-gun hunter and anti-wildlife conservative. She seems to stand for everything he would dislike. Maybe he compartmentalizes his work and his personal views, but I don't see how he can live with it. Any thoughts?

you're bored in retirement cuz your energies drained away, your money had no answer, you just still want more! your life was never different then the guy next door!

all your neighbors are competitors, where'd you all go wrong? there never was a mountain to climb. potential friends are now your enemies, where'd you all go wrong? there never was a mountain to climb.

It's been a while since I've read it, I'll have to read it again--I

don't remember his disparaging veganism. I'm not an organized

religion advocate either, but I'll read anything that can help make an

argument for vegetarianism. I guess I was just surprised to see his

name affiliated with such a hard-core hunter. It's like an animal

rights activist working for a primate research lab...it just seems

unbelievable at face value. I guess people are always more

complicated than we think.

after sleeping on it, it just seems that his reactionary and political beliefs/loyalties outweigh his personal vegetarian/animal rights beliefs.

sculley also helped write speeches touting the "surge" in iraq

whitty__ Sep 10, 2008 7:23 AM Re: Political U.S. mindbender

It's been a while since I've read it, I'll have to read it again--I don't remember his disparaging veganism. I'm not an organized religion advocate either, but I'll read anything that can help make an argument for vegetarianism. I guess I was just surprised to see his name affiliated with such a hard-core hunter. It's like an animal rights activist working for a primate research lab...it just seems unbelievable at face value. I guess people are always more complicated than we think.

you're bored in retirement cuz your energies drained away, your money had no answer, you just still want more! your life was never different then the guy next door!

all your neighbors are competitors, where'd you all go wrong? there never was a mountain to climb. potential friends are now your enemies, where'd you all go wrong? there never was a mountain to climb.