IndiaDivine.org

[Eating Red Meat Beefs Up Brain

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This just in: Hamburgers may be health food.Scientists at Oxford University in England have found that adopting a vegetarian or vegan diet may be bad for your brain.Researchers found that those who adopt a meat-free diet are 6 times more likely to

sustain brain shrinkage than those who gobble hamburgers, chicken or liver.The reason: Vegetarian or vegan diets are more likely to be deficient in Vitamin B-12, found in meat, fish and dairy products such as cheese.“Many factors that affect brain health are thought to be out of our control, but this study suggests that simply adjusting our diets to consume more Vitamin B-12 through eating meat, fish, fortified cereals or milk may...prevent brain shrinkage and so perhaps save our memory,†said Anna Vogiatzoglou, a member of the Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics at Oxford, in a prepared statement. “Research shows that Vitamin B-12 deficiency is a public health problem, especially among the elderly, so more Vitamin B-12 intake could help reverse this problem.â€Vitamin B-12 deficiency also can cause anemia and troubles with the nervous system, researchers found. However, the vitamin is found in yeast extracts, one of the few vegetarian foods that provide good levels of B-12.Researchers at Oxford University established the link between diet and brain size by conducting memory tests, physical exams and brain scans on 107 people aged 61 to 87. The volunteers were retested five years after the initial exam and researchers found those with the lowest levels of Vitamin B-12 were more likely to have suffered brain shrinkage. The tests support earlier research that established a link between brain atrophy and low levels of Vitamin B-12.Alcohol also hammers the brain. Researchers found

that brain scans of more than 1,800 people who had 14 or more drinks a week sustained 1.6% more brain shrinkage than those who didn’t drink at all. Beer does less damage than wine.Aging hippies who say marijuana is harmless are mistaken. Researchers found that cannabis has the same brain-damaging effect as alcohol unless, like a certain ex-president, you don’t inhale.Sad to say, too many hamburgers aren’t good for you, either. Swedish researches found that being overweight or obese is also linked to brain loss. Obesity increases the risk of high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease and both can lead to brain damage.So, in the spirit of moderation, pass the hamburgers from McDonalds (MCD), Burger King (BKC) or Wendy’s (WEN) over here. Order extra cheese and become a member of the Mensa Society!

So what IS the best way to get B12? I have hormone positive breast cancer so because of all the controversy I limit tofu. I do drink soy milk but in limited quantities. So I take a B12 supplement daily. I had blood tests and was severely low in vitamin D3 so my doc gave me a prescription for it also. My soy milk is organic with added B12.

What does everyone else do? You can't LIVE on tofu, can you? I am afraid I don't have that option.

Shelley H

Hi Peter

A strange article in that at least one point in it is completely wrong.... they seem to have not noticed that vegetarians eat dairy, and therefore have plenty of vitamin B12!

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 9:29 PM

Re: [Eating Red Meat Beefs Up Brain

This just in: Hamburgers may be health food.Scientists at Oxford University in England have found that adopting a vegetarian or vegan diet may be bad for your brain.Researchers found that those who adopt a meat-free diet are 6 times more likely to sustain brain shrinkage than those who gobble hamburgers, chicken or liver.The reason: Vegetarian or vegan diets are more likely to be deficient in Vitamin B-12, found in meat, fish and dairy products such as cheese.“Many factors that affect brain health are thought to be out of our control, but this study suggests that simply adjusting our diets to consume more Vitamin B-12 through eating meat, fish, fortified cereals or milk may...prevent brain shrinkage and so perhaps save our memory,†said Anna Vogiatzoglou, a member of the Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics at Oxford, in a prepared statement. “Research shows that Vitamin B-12 deficiency is a public health problem, especially among the elderly, so more Vitamin B-12 intake could help reverse this problem.â€Vitamin B-12 deficiency also can cause anemia and troubles with the nervous system, researchers found. However, the vitamin is found in yeast extracts, one of the few vegetarian foods that provide good levels of B-12.Researchers at Oxford University established the link between diet and brain size by conducting memory tests, physical exams and brain scans on 107 people aged 61 to 87. The volunteers were retested five years after the initial exam and researchers found those with the lowest levels of Vitamin B-12 were more likely to have suffered brain shrinkage. The tests support earlier research that established a link between brain atrophy and low levels of Vitamin B-12.Alcohol also hammers the brain. Researchers found that brain scans of more than 1,800 people who had 14 or more drinks a week sustained 1.6% more brain shrinkage than those who didn’t drink at all. Beer does less damage than wine.Aging hippies who say marijuana is harmless are mistaken. Researchers found that cannabis has the same brain-damaging effect as alcohol unless, like a certain ex-president, you don’t inhale.Sad to say, too many hamburgers aren’t good for you, either. Swedish researches found that being overweight or obese is also linked to brain loss. Obesity increases the risk of high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease and both can lead to brain damage.So, in the spirit of moderation, pass the hamburgers from McDonalds (MCD), Burger King (BKC) or Wendy’s (WEN) over here. Order extra cheese and become a member of the Mensa Society!

Hi Shelley

> So what IS the best way to get B12? I have hormone positive breast cancer so because of all the controversy I limit tofu. I do drink soy milk but in limited

> quantities. So I take a B12 supplement daily. I had blood tests and was severely low in vitamin D3 so my doc gave me a prescription for it also. My soy milk

> is organic with added B12.

> What does everyone else do? You can't LIVE on tofu, can you? I am afraid I don't have that option.

Well, no, you can't live on tofu... but you should also be aware that there is absolutely no evidence - not one single iota of it - that soya or tofu are linked to cancer, sterility, sex change, or any of the other nonsense put about by the meat marketing board. It's all a clever anti-marketing strategy because some of the chemicals in tofu have similar names to chemicals which do cause those things... even though they are completely different! It's a bit like suggesting that tartar sauce is bad for you because it must have tar in it.

But in answer to your question, I use the Provamel "Alpro" fortified soya milk which has both B12 and D3 added. Having looked at the RDAs, having a bowl of cereal with that 4 times a week gives me way more than the minimum requirements of both. When it comes to vitamin D, if you live somewhere sunny, just spend some time outside (obviously being careful not to burn!!!)

BB

Peter

-

Shelley

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 5:03 AM

So what IS the best way to get B12? I have hormone positive breast cancer so because of all the controversy I limit tofu. I do drink soy milk but in limited quantities. So I take a B12 supplement daily. I had blood tests and was severely low in vitamin D3 so my doc gave me a prescription for it also. My soy milk is organic with added B12.

What does everyone else do? You can't LIVE on tofu, can you? I am afraid I don't have that option.

Shelley H

Indeed.

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab Sent: Wednesday, 17 September, 2008 9:00:12 AMRe: Re: [Eating Red Meat Beefs Up Brain

Hi Peter

A strange article in that at least one point in it is completely wrong.... they seem to have not noticed that vegetarians eat dairy, and therefore have plenty of vitamin B12!

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 9:29 PM

This just in: Hamburgers may be health food.Scientists at Oxford University in England have found that adopting a vegetarian or vegan diet may be bad for your brain.Researchers found that those who adopt a meat-free diet are 6 times more likely to sustain brain shrinkage than those who gobble hamburgers, chicken or liver.The reason: Vegetarian or vegan diets are more likely to be deficient in Vitamin B-12, found in meat, fish and dairy products such as cheese.“Many factors that affect brain health are thought to be out of our control,

but this study suggests that simply adjusting our diets to consume more Vitamin B-12 through eating meat, fish, fortified cereals or milk may...prevent brain shrinkage and so perhaps save our memory,†said Anna Vogiatzoglou, a member of the Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics at Oxford, in a prepared statement. “Research shows that Vitamin B-12 deficiency is a public health problem, especially among the elderly, so more Vitamin B-12 intake could help reverse this problem.â€Vitamin B-12 deficiency also can cause anemia and troubles with the nervous system, researchers

found. However, the vitamin is found in yeast extracts, one of the few vegetarian foods that provide good levels of B-12.Researchers at Oxford University established the link between diet and brain size by conducting memory tests, physical exams and brain scans on 107 people aged 61 to 87. The volunteers were retested five years after the initial exam and researchers found those with the lowest levels of Vitamin B-12 were more likely to have suffered brain shrinkage. The tests support earlier research that established a link between brain atrophy and low levels of Vitamin

B-12.Alcohol also hammers the brain. Researchers found that brain scans of more than 1,800 people who had 14 or more drinks a week sustained 1.6% more brain shrinkage than those who didn’t drink at all. Beer does less damage than wine.Aging hippies who say marijuana is harmless are mistaken. Researchers found that cannabis has the same brain-damaging effect as alcohol unless, like a certain ex-president, you don’t inhale.Sad to say, too many

hamburgers aren’t good for you, either. Swedish researches found that being overweight or obese is also linked to brain loss. Obesity increases the risk of high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease and both can lead to brain damage.So, in the spirit of moderation, pass the hamburgers from McDonalds (MCD), Burger King (BKC) or Wendy’s (WEN) over here. Order extra cheese and become a member of the Mensa Society!

Tags: WEN, BKC, MCD, BRAIN, BEEF, VEGETARIAN, VEGAN, B12, DEFICIENCY, VITAMIN, SHRINKAGE

Peter vv

I take a supplement.

Jo

-

Shelley

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 5:03 AM

Shelley H

I know those " vegans are dumber " people want to make it seem like b12

is found only in meat.

but b12 can also be found in vegetables.

but, because we wash vegetables very well the b12 is washed away.

b12 is a bacteria found in dirt.

luckily many foods found at my local health food store are fortified

with B12, but it would be a good idea to take a supplement.

-A

, " jo.heartwork " <jo.heartwork

wrote:

>

> I take a supplement.

>

> Jo

>

> -

> Shelley

>

> Wednesday, September 17, 2008 5:03 AM

> Re: [Eating Red Meat Beefs Up

Brain

>

>

> So what IS the best way to get B12? I have hormone

positive breast cancer so because of all the controversy I limit

tofu. I do drink soy milk but in limited quantities. So I take a

B12 supplement daily. I had blood tests and was severely low in

vitamin D3 so my doc gave me a prescription for it also. My soy

milk is organic with added B12.

>

> What does everyone else do? You can't LIVE on tofu, can

you? I am afraid I don't have that option.

>

> Shelley H

>

Vegan sources of B12 are cultured from bacteria; animals don't produce B12,

despite the

nagging misperception of meat eaters.

Cows eat grass. B12-producing bacteria are living on that grass; the bacteria

continue

quite happily doing their thing inside the digestive tract of the cow, excreting

B12 into the

cow's tissues, and...

Viola. B12 in meat.

You can culture the SAME bacteria for a completely vegan source of B12.

Dietary deficiency of B12 is exceedingly rare, despite the health claims meat

eaters may

make in reaction to veganism. If you're B12 deficient, it's far more likely you

have a

malabsorption (physiological) problem, rather than a lack of B12 in your diet.

B12 is one of the few nutrients humans store an excess of. You could switch to a

completely raw vegan diet tomorrow, and still have enough stored B12 in your

system to

last you for years.

If you're having B12-fortified breakfast cereal a few times a week, you're

getting more

than enough. " Living on tofu " isn't necessary. If you're at all worried about

it, go to your

doctor and get a blood test. If she recommends that you increase your B12

intake, take a

vegan multivitamin.