Rate this topic

Guest guest

I have a recipe for which I need an egg replacement. It's a rice

mixture that is dunked first in egg (to keep it together, I'm

guessing) and then breadcrumbs before frying or baking it. I've used

EnerG replacement in cake so far, but I'm not sure it would work in

this case. Is there a tacky vegan substitute that would work to keep

this together?

Thanks for any suggestions ahead of time...

maybe a bit of a batter type thing with some type of flour ( soya/gram/etc ) & water?

Peter vv

whitty__ <ravenwolf18 Sent: Saturday, 20 September, 2008 1:57:43 AM Egg replacement for recipe

I have a recipe for which I need an egg replacement. It's a rice mixture that is dunked first in egg (to keep it together, I'm guessing) and then breadcrumbs before frying or baking it. I've used EnerG replacement in cake so far, but I'm not sure it would work in this case. Is there a tacky vegan substitute that would work to keep this together?Thanks for any suggestions ahead of time...

is it supposed to be crispy then on the outside? tempura or fried breadcrumb coated...?

ener-g will work if it's supposed to be slightly crispy

you can use flour and water/or a little oil

silken tofu blended can be used as well

whitty__ Sep 19, 2008 5:57 PM Egg replacement for recipe

I have a recipe for which I need an egg replacement. It's a rice mixture that is dunked first in egg (to keep it together, I'm guessing) and then breadcrumbs before frying or baking it. I've used EnerG replacement in cake so far, but I'm not sure it would work in this case. Is there a tacky vegan substitute that would work to keep this together?Thanks for any suggestions ahead of time...

you're bored in retirement cuz your energies drained away, your money had no answer, you just still want more! your life was never different then the guy next door!

all your neighbors are competitors, where'd you all go wrong? there never was a mountain to climb. potential friends are now your enemies, where'd you all go wrong? there never was a mountain to climb.

Hi Whitty

Get some holyhock leaves, and boil them in water for a few minutes - I've yet to try this, but I've been reliably informed that it turns into a great binding agent gloop!

BB

Peter

2008/9/20 whitty__ <ravenwolf18

I have a recipe for which I need an egg replacement. It's a ricemixture that is dunked first in egg (to keep it together, I'm

guessing) and then breadcrumbs before frying or baking it. I've usedEnerG replacement in cake so far, but I'm not sure it would work inthis case. Is there a tacky vegan substitute that would work to keep

this together?Thanks for any suggestions ahead of time...---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*>

/<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to:

/join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest

-fullfeatured <*>

What an interesting suggestion! Hollyhock is in the same plant

family as okra, hibiscus, and a weed called cheeseweed. At a garden

gathering the other day, one of the permaculture people was raving

about how good cheeseweed was as a green.

Flax also has that gloppy texture -- I'd add some water to

flaxseed meal, wait a little while until it thickens, and

experiment.

Or maybe something like mashed potatoes? It sounds like the

recipe is calling for something to make the breadcrumbs stick to the

rice mixture. Probably any pureed vegetable would be worth trying. Or

something starchy, such as arrowroot or potato flour mixed with water

or puree.

Have you tried searching online for a vegan version of your

recipe or something similar to see what's used? Maybe a vegan tempura

recipe?

At 10:20 AM +0100 9/21/08, Peter Kebbell wrote:

Get some holyhock leaves, and boil them in water for a few

minutes - I've yet to try this, but I've been reliably informed that

it turns into a great binding agent gloop!

2008/9/20 whitty__ <ravenwolf18

I have a recipe for which I need an egg replacement. It's a

rice

mixture that is dunked first in egg (to keep it together, I'm

guessing) and then breadcrumbs before frying or baking it. I've

used

EnerG replacement in cake so far, but I'm not sure it would work

in

this case. Is there a tacky vegan substitute that would work to

keep

this together?

cheeseweed grows wild all over here (as you prolly know yarrow0

you have to steam the leaves a bit tho, before they are ok...otherwise they are really hairy

tho, if you cook em tooo much they end up slimey

yarrow Sep 21, 2008 10:48 PM Re: Egg replacement for recipe

What an interesting suggestion! Hollyhock is in the same plant family as okra, hibiscus, and a weed called cheeseweed. At a garden gathering the other day, one of the permaculture people was raving about how good cheeseweed was as a green.

Flax also has that gloppy texture -- I'd add some water to flaxseed meal, wait a little while until it thickens, and experiment.

Or maybe something like mashed potatoes? It sounds like the recipe is calling for something to make the breadcrumbs stick to the rice mixture. Probably any pureed vegetable would be worth trying. Or something starchy, such as arrowroot or potato flour mixed with water or puree.

Have you tried searching online for a vegan version of your recipe or something similar to see what's used? Maybe a vegan tempura recipe?

At 10:20 AM +0100 9/21/08, Peter Kebbell wrote:

Get some holyhock leaves, and boil them in water for a few minutes - I've yet to try this, but I've been reliably informed that it turns into a great binding agent gloop!

2008/9/20 whitty__ <ravenwolf18 >

I have a recipe for which I need an egg replacement. It's a ricemixture that is dunked first in egg (to keep it together, I'mguessing) and then breadcrumbs before frying or baking it. I've usedEnerG replacement in cake so far, but I'm not sure it would work inthis case. Is there a tacky vegan substitute that would work to keep

this together?

you're bored in retirement cuz your energies drained away, your money had no answer, you just still want more! your life was never different then the guy next door!

all your neighbors are competitors, where'd you all go wrong? there never was a mountain to climb. potential friends are now your enemies, where'd you all go wrong? there never was a mountain to climb.

Trying the hollyhock sounds interesting, but I don't have access to

it. I think my neighbor grows them but I'm already considered

strange here in this provincial suburb of Western Pennsylvania. I

can't imagine asking for hollyhocks to cook with and not being

branded a bit nutty (not that I consider it strange, but my neighbors

would find it so).

I've never heard of cheeseweed before. Where is it native?

I'm trying to reproduce arancine, a Sicilian rice ball with filling.

It's good comfort food--I'm trying the EnerG replacement tonight

since the end result is supposed to be crispy. I'll report back and

let you know how it works out.

, yarrow wrote:

>

> What an interesting suggestion! Hollyhock is in the same plant

family

> as okra, hibiscus, and a weed called cheeseweed. At a garden

> gathering the other day, one of the permaculture people was raving

> about how good cheeseweed was as a green.

>

> Flax also has that gloppy texture -- I'd add some water to flaxseed

> meal, wait a little while until it thickens, and experiment.

>

> Or maybe something like mashed potatoes? It sounds like the recipe

is

> calling for something to make the breadcrumbs stick to the rice

> mixture. Probably any pureed vegetable would be worth trying. Or

> something starchy, such as arrowroot or potato flour mixed with

water

> or puree.

>

> Have you tried searching online for a vegan version of your recipe

or

> something similar to see what's used? Maybe a vegan tempura recipe?

>

> At 10:20 AM +0100 9/21/08, Peter Kebbell wrote:

> Get some holyhock leaves, and boil them in water for a few minutes -

> I've yet to try this, but I've been reliably informed that it turns

> into a great binding agent gloop!

>

> 2008/9/20 whitty__ <<ravenwolf18ravenwolf18

>

> I have a recipe for which I need an egg replacement. It's a rice

> mixture that is dunked first in egg (to keep it together, I'm

> guessing) and then breadcrumbs before frying or baking it. I've

used

> EnerG replacement in cake so far, but I'm not sure it would work in

> this case. Is there a tacky vegan substitute that would work to

keep

> this together?

>

you could always grow your own hollyhocks

:)

cheeseweed is a mallow, grows wild all over the bay area (SF california)

whitty__ Sep 23, 2008 12:06 PM Re: Egg replacement for recipe

Trying the hollyhock sounds interesting, but I don't have access to it. I think my neighbor grows them but I'm already considered strange here in this provincial suburb of Western Pennsylvania. I can't imagine asking for hollyhocks to cook with and not being branded a bit nutty (not that I consider it strange, but my neighbors would find it so). I've never heard of cheeseweed before. Where is it native? I'm trying to reproduce arancine, a Sicilian rice ball with filling. It's good comfort food--I'm trying the EnerG replacement tonight since the end result is supposed to be crispy. I'll report back and let you know how it works out. , yarrow wrote:>> What an interesting suggestion! Hollyhock is in the same plant family > as okra, hibiscus, and a weed called cheeseweed. At a garden > gathering the other day, one of the permaculture people was raving > about how good cheeseweed was as a green.> > Flax also has that gloppy texture -- I'd add some water to flaxseed > meal, wait a little while until it thickens, and experiment.> > Or maybe something like mashed potatoes? It sounds like the recipe is > calling for something to make the breadcrumbs stick to the rice > mixture. Probably any pureed vegetable would be worth trying. Or > something starchy, such as arrowroot or potato flour mixed with water > or puree.> > Have you tried searching online for a vegan version of your recipe or > something similar to see what's used? Maybe a vegan tempura recipe?> > At 10:20 AM +0100 9/21/08, Peter Kebbell wrote:> Get some holyhock leaves, and boil them in water for a few minutes -> I've yet to try this, but I've been reliably informed that it turns > into a great binding agent gloop!> > 2008/9/20 whitty__ <<ravenwolf18ravenwolf18> > I have a recipe for which I need an egg replacement. It's a rice> mixture that is dunked first in egg (to keep it together, I'm> guessing) and then breadcrumbs before frying or baking it. I've used> EnerG replacement in cake so far, but I'm not sure it would work in> this case. Is there a tacky vegan substitute that would work to keep> this together?>

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/WEEDS/little_mallow.html

fraggle Sep 23, 2008 12:12 PM Re: Re: Egg replacement for recipe

you could always grow your own hollyhocks

:)

cheeseweed is a mallow, grows wild all over the bay area (SF california)

whitty__ Sep 23, 2008 12:06 PM Re: Egg replacement for recipe

Trying the hollyhock sounds interesting, but I don't have access to it. I think my neighbor grows them but I'm already considered strange here in this provincial suburb of Western Pennsylvania. I can't imagine asking for hollyhocks to cook with and not being branded a bit nutty (not that I consider it strange, but my neighbors would find it so). I've never heard of cheeseweed before. Where is it native? I'm trying to reproduce arancine, a Sicilian rice ball with filling. It's good comfort food--I'm trying the EnerG replacement tonight since the end result is supposed to be crispy. I'll report back and let you know how it works out. , yarrow wrote:>> What an interesting suggestion! Hollyhock is in the same plant family > as okra, hibiscus, and a weed called cheeseweed. At a garden > gathering the other day, one of the permaculture people was raving > about how good cheeseweed was as a green.> > Flax also has that gloppy texture -- I'd add some water to flaxseed > meal, wait a little while until it thickens, and experiment.> > Or maybe something like mashed potatoes? It sounds like the recipe is > calling for something to make the breadcrumbs stick to the rice > mixture. Probably any pureed vegetable would be worth trying. Or > something starchy, such as arrowroot or potato flour mixed with water > or puree.> > Have you tried searching online for a vegan version of your recipe or > something similar to see what's used? Maybe a vegan tempura recipe?> > At 10:20 AM +0100 9/21/08, Peter Kebbell wrote:> Get some holyhock leaves, and boil them in water for a few minutes -> I've yet to try this, but I've been reliably informed that it turns > into a great binding agent gloop!> > 2008/9/20 whitty__ <<ravenwolf18ravenwolf18> > I have a recipe for which I need an egg replacement. It's a rice> mixture that is dunked first in egg (to keep it together, I'm> guessing) and then breadcrumbs before frying or baking it. I've used> EnerG replacement in cake so far, but I'm not sure it would work in> this case. Is there a tacky vegan substitute that would work to keep> this together?>

Obviously depends on the area you live in - but hollyhocks often grow wild on waste ground. There's a whole load near where I live in South West England!BBPeter

2008/9/23 whitty__ <ravenwolf18

Trying the hollyhock sounds interesting, but I don't have access to

it. I think my neighbor grows them but I'm already considered

strange here in this provincial suburb of Western Pennsylvania. I

can't imagine asking for hollyhocks to cook with and not being

branded a bit nutty (not that I consider it strange, but my neighbors

would find it so).

I've never heard of cheeseweed before. Where is it native?

I'm trying to reproduce arancine, a Sicilian rice ball with filling.

It's good comfort food--I'm trying the EnerG replacement tonight

since the end result is supposed to be crispy. I'll report back and

let you know how it works out.

, yarrow wrote:

>

> What an interesting suggestion! Hollyhock is in the same plant

family

> as okra, hibiscus, and a weed called cheeseweed. At a garden

> gathering the other day, one of the permaculture people was raving

> about how good cheeseweed was as a green.

>

> Flax also has that gloppy texture -- I'd add some water to flaxseed

> meal, wait a little while until it thickens, and experiment.

>

> Or maybe something like mashed potatoes? It sounds like the recipe

is

> calling for something to make the breadcrumbs stick to the rice

> mixture. Probably any pureed vegetable would be worth trying. Or

> something starchy, such as arrowroot or potato flour mixed with

water

> or puree.

>

> Have you tried searching online for a vegan version of your recipe

or

> something similar to see what's used? Maybe a vegan tempura recipe?

>

> At 10:20 AM +0100 9/21/08, Peter Kebbell wrote:

> Get some holyhock leaves, and boil them in water for a few minutes -

> I've yet to try this, but I've been reliably informed that it turns

> into a great binding agent gloop!

>

> 2008/9/20 whitty__ <<ravenwolf18ravenwolf18

>

> I have a recipe for which I need an egg replacement. It's a rice

> mixture that is dunked first in egg (to keep it together, I'm

> guessing) and then breadcrumbs before frying or baking it. I've

used