IndiaDivine.org

I'm new here

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi,

I'm Nina and I recently joined this group to learn more about the vegan diet. Most of the vegans I know are quite young. I'm 58 years old. I've been a vegetarian about half my life. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago I was told very emphatically that I could not control diabetes on a vegetarian diet and so would have to begin eating animal protein on a regular basis. I've heard this many times over the years from one dietician or another. Recently I found a book that advocates a plant based diet for treating diabetes. I went back to my doctor, with the book and explained why I wanted to use the program instead of the usual diabetic diet. My doctor is great, she listened to me, read some of the material I gave her and then agreed that it sounded like a good idea.

Being older the prevailing wisdom was that a vegetarian had to use milk, milk products and eggs in their diet. Frankly I hate milk. I just don't feel good when I consume milk products. I never have. So I always did a lousy job of keeping up the milk side of the equation. Eggs don't bother me, but I can't say I like them much. So I'm pretty happy to give those up. I've been following the vegan program for about a month and am definitely feeling better, physically, mentally and morally. I've found a couple of great vegan recipe books and am enjoying this very much.

Guess that's all for now. Nice to meet you all.