IndiaDivine.org

Smell cake mix?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I know this is weird but, I was wondering...

My family and I have only been vegan for two months now. For me, and my 17 y/o daughter, it's been like coming home. My husband and little son are being troopers and doing well. They understand the health/social benefits, etc. and are committed, even if it is a little harder for them. Anyway, my daughter and I have noticed our senses waking up; taste buds, sense of smell. So, the other day, I was in the store and, I swear, I could smell the cake mixes and flavored jello powders in their boxes. It was fascinating. I could smell the mixes but, they didn't really smell like food. At all. Anyone else experience this? SoyPalmtree (PS - The disgusting smells of the hot foods and deli departments is a given.)

for myself, never really noticed (beyond the "oh my bacchus, that burnt flesh smesll horrid!" reaction), but thats probably because i wasn't in the situation to really smell those sorta things at that time

maybe fer you and your's, its because as you have moved away from "those" scents and smells you have re-awakened your senses to what they really smell like, or re-attuned yourself.

you aren't going to smell something that is overpowering yet you use everyday, is around you constantly, etc.

the nose gets fatigued.

remember, prepared foods and such are designed to give a person an obverwhelming taste senstation. they are made to give you that quick wham bam explosion. lots of salt. lots of sweet.

real food is different. taste is complex, its tied in with smell, and they work in tandem (most of your "taste" is actually smell)

SoyPalmtree SoyPalmtree Sep 25, 2008 9:13 AM Smell cake mix?

My family and I have only been vegan for two months now. For me, and my 17 y/o daughter, it's been like coming home. My husband and little son are being troopers and doing well. They understand the health/social benefits, etc. and are committed, even if it is a little harder for them. Anyway, my daughter and I have noticed our senses waking up; taste buds, sense of smell. So, the other day, I was in the store and, I swear, I could smell the cake mixes and flavored jello powders in their boxes. It was fascinating. I could smell the mixes but, they didn't really smell like food. At all. Anyone else experience this? SoyPalmtree (PS - The disgusting smells of the hot foods and deli departments is a given.)

you're bored in retirement cuz your energies drained away, your money had no answer, you just still want more! your life was never different then the guy next door!

all your neighbors are competitors, where'd you all go wrong? there never was a mountain to climb. potential friends are now your enemies, where'd you all go wrong? there never was a mountain to climb.

You know, that's so true. My daughter used to work in a florist shop and no one working their could smell any of the flowers after a few weeks. That's probably it. Thanks Fraggle. :)

SoyPalmtree

On 9/25/08, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

for myself, never really noticed (beyond the " oh my bacchus, that burnt flesh smesll horrid! " reaction), but thats probably because i wasn't in the situation to really smell those sorta things at that time

maybe fer you and your's, its because as you have moved away from " those " scents and smells you have re-awakened your senses to what they really smell like, or re-attuned yourself.

you aren't going to smell something that is overpowering yet you use everyday, is around you constantly, etc.

the nose gets fatigued.

remember, prepared foods and such are designed to give a person an obverwhelming taste senstation. they are made to give you that quick wham bam explosion. lots of salt. lots of sweet.

real food is different. taste is complex, its tied in with smell, and they work in tandem (most of your " taste " is actually smell)

SoyPalmtree SoyPalmtree Sep 25, 2008 9:13 AM

Smell cake mix?

you're bored in retirement cuz your energies drained away, your money had no answer, you just still want more! your life was never different then the guy next door!

all your neighbors are competitors, where'd you all go wrong? there never was a mountain to climb. potential friends are now your enemies, where'd you all go wrong? there never was a mountain to climb.

Hi, soypalmtree and fraggle, Thanks for sharing that.

I can relate. This might or might not be similar but,

I know for sure that I became real sensitive to smells once I became

vegan and eliminated chemicals from my life.

My husband doesn't have this so I'm thinking it's an individual

thing.

I cannot walk down the detergent aisle in a supermarket without

sneazing or feeling nauseaus. I didn't always use to be this way.

My body has developed an acute rejection and I cannot go back to

using " mountain breeze " or " fresh peach linen " scent or whatever.

I can even tell when someone is wearing an artificial perfume as

opposed to one made out of real flowers.

It's a burden to be sensitive and a gift at the same time. I feel

like I am a canary in a coal mine to other people because I can tell

my husband just by walking into a room that the cleaner he used had

chemicals in it.

Sometimes he wants to fool me and buy the cheapest brand. But it's

not my imagination those things have real, proven agents that are

harmful to humans and our environment.

by the way I love the scent of real flowers and wear them on my hair

almost every day.

Anouk

, " SoyPalmtree SoyPalmtree "

<soypalmtree wrote:

>

> You know, that's so true. My daughter used to work in a florist

shop and no

> one working their could smell any of the flowers after a few

weeks. That's

> probably it. Thanks Fraggle. :)

> SoyPalmtree

>

>

> On 9/25/08, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

> >

> > for myself, never really noticed (beyond the " oh my bacchus,

that burnt

> > flesh smesll horrid! " reaction), but thats probably because i

wasn't in the

> > situation to really smell those sorta things at that time

> >

> > maybe fer you and your's, its because as you have moved away

from " those "

> > scents and smells you have re-awakened your senses to what they

really smell

> > like, or re-attuned yourself.

> >

> > you aren't going to smell something that is overpowering yet you

use

> > everyday, is around you constantly, etc.

> >

> > the nose gets fatigued.

> >

> > remember, prepared foods and such are designed to give a person an

> > obverwhelming taste senstation. they are made to give you that

quick wham

> > bam explosion. lots of salt. lots of sweet.

> >

> > real food is different. taste is complex, its tied in with smell,

and they

> > work in tandem (most of your " taste " is actually smell)

> >

>

Hi Anouk (What a lovely name. :) (and Fraggle and all others. )

Something has just occurred to me; in addition to becoming vegan, my family and I have also given up eating anything containing refined sugar, flour, pasta, rice or artificial sweeteners. That's almost all processed foods. Now that I think of it; this is more likely the reason for my becoming sensitive to the smells of processed foods. Hum. This is such a fascinating journey. :)

SoyPalmtree

On 9/25/08, flower child <zurumato wrote:

Hi, soypalmtree and fraggle, Thanks for sharing that. I can relate. This might or might not be similar but,I know for sure that I became real sensitive to smells once I became vegan and eliminated chemicals from my life.

My husband doesn't have this so I'm thinking it's an individual thing. I cannot walk down the detergent aisle in a supermarket without sneazing or feeling nauseaus. I didn't always use to be this way.

My body has developed an acute rejection and I cannot go back to using " mountain breeze " or " fresh peach linen " scent or whatever. I can even tell when someone is wearing an artificial perfume as

opposed to one made out of real flowers.It's a burden to be sensitive and a gift at the same time. I feel like I am a canary in a coal mine to other people because I can tell my husband just by walking into a room that the cleaner he used had

chemicals in it. Sometimes he wants to fool me and buy the cheapest brand. But it's not my imagination those things have real, proven agents that are harmful to humans and our environment. by the way I love the scent of real flowers and wear them on my hair

almost every day. Anouk , " SoyPalmtree SoyPalmtree "

<soypalmtree wrote:>> You know, that's so true. My daughter used to work in a florist shop and no> one working their could smell any of the flowers after a few weeks. That's

> probably it. Thanks Fraggle. :)> SoyPalmtree> > > On 9/25/08, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:> >> > for myself, never really noticed (beyond the " oh my bacchus,

that burnt> > flesh smesll horrid! " reaction), but thats probably because i wasn't in the> > situation to really smell those sorta things at that time> >> > maybe fer you and your's, its because as you have moved away

from " those " > > scents and smells you have re-awakened your senses to what they really smell> > like, or re-attuned yourself.> >> > you aren't going to smell something that is overpowering yet you

use> > everyday, is around you constantly, etc.> >> > the nose gets fatigued.> >> > remember, prepared foods and such are designed to give a person an> > obverwhelming taste senstation. they are made to give you that

quick wham> > bam explosion. lots of salt. lots of sweet.> >> > real food is different. taste is complex, its tied in with smell, and they> > work in tandem (most of your " taste " is actually smell)

> >>