IndiaDivine.org

Compassionate Cooks Food for Thought Newsletter - October 9, 2008

Rate this topic

Guest guest

"info" Oct 9, 2008 11:07 AM ebbrewpunx Compassionate Cooks "Food for Thought" Newsletter - October 9, 2008

food for thought

the compassionate cooks newsletter

Changing Hearts and Minds

www.compassionatecooks.com

October 9, 2008

in this issue:

Announcements • Food Lore • Recommendations

Upcoming Cooking Class • What People are Saying • Recipes • From Compassionate Cooks • Podcast • Essay • Our Fabulous Sponsors • Sponsor the Newsletter

Announcements

COLLEEN SPEAKING AT ANIMAL ACRES IN L.A.

For those of you in Southern California, I hope you will join me at Animal Acres' Compassionate Thanksgiving Celebration on November 22nd. Meet the sanctuary residents, participate in the "Feed the Turkey" Ceremony, and enjoy a delicious Thanksgiving dinner. Reservations are required.

The topic of my talk is Being a Joyful Vegan at the Holidays and Everyday. Though there are many resources available that support the practical aspects of a vegan lifestyle, many people struggle with the emotional toll that comes with the awareness of so much animal suffering. In this popular talk, I offer survival tips for dealing with the social and emotional pressure that we all experience around the holidays and everyday and explain why I remain a “joyful vegan,” despite the painful awareness of the socially sanctioned exploitation and abuse of non-human animals.

Food Lore: Pears

Pears are one of the world's oldest cultivated fruits. In 5,000 B.C., Feng Li began grafting peaches, almonds, persimmons, pears and apples as a commercial venture. In The Odyssey, the Greek poet laureate Homer lauds pears as a "gift of the gods."

HISTORY: In the New World, early colonists brought the first pear trees to eastern settlements where they thrived until crop blights proved too severe to sustain widespread cultivation. Pear trees were brought west to Oregon and Washington by pioneers in the 1800s, and today's Northwest pear varieties are the same or similar to those first cultivated in France and Belgium.

NUTRITIONALLY SPEAKING: Fresh pears are loaded with dietary fiber, much of it in the form of pectin. They also contain potassium, which is an element lost easily through dehydration or perspiration brought on by an active lifestyle. In addition, fresh pears are a good source of Vitamin C, and have no cholesterol, sodium, or fat. Pears also contain antioxidants, with health benefits from Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, niacin, and the minerals calcium, phosphorus, iron, and potassium.

DID YOU KNOW? Washington's fresh pear production is the largest in the United States.

COOKING: You will find a few pear recipes in my Joy of Vegan Baking cookbook, such as the Pear Tart and Poached Pears.

Recommendations

I get a lot of questions about what I recommend in terms of everything from cookware and kitchen tools to books and films. I'm thrilled to be a resource for people interested in cooking healthfully and compassionately. My Amazon store contains books, cookbooks, cookware, films, kitchen tools, and a huge variety of food items. NOTE: To help Compassionate Cooks, everytime you shop for anything at Amazon.com, just use this link.

Forbidden Games (film by Rene Clement) This amazing film about the loss of innocence in the time of war is beautifully shot, marvelously acted, and heart-rendering. A little girl tries to cope with the death of her parents and dog, killed before her very eyes. With the help of a young boy who finds her, she becomes obsessed with death, burying animals and building a graveyard for them. Rene Clement intersperses the very sad subject matter with unexpected humor with amazing deftness.

Upcoming Cooking Class

OCTOBER: COMFORT FOODS FROM AROUND THE WORLD

Join us on October 25th from 10:00 am-1:00 pm for five fantastic dishes featuring these delicious, healthful, misunderstood foods. On the menu:

>> Potato Latkes >> Scotch Broth >> Cuban Black Bean Soup >> Mexican Champurrado >> Irish Soda Bread

REGISTER FOR OUR OCTOBER CLASS

What People Are Saying

Truly, there is nothing more gratifying than hearing from people who have been affected by Compassionate Cooks - whether it be the classes, cookbook, essays, or podcast. Here are some recent replies from people all over the world. Feel free to drop us a line.

20-YEAR VEGAN RE-INSPIRED "I just finished listening to your podcast on sheep shearing and have to tell you how moved and inspired I am. I've been vegan for over 20 years, but it feels brand new after hearing you. Your discussion points are intelligent, current, historic and passionate. My path as a vegan was set a long time ago but your smart information and delivery has made it feel like the moment I leaped into veganism (not even knowing that there was a name for it but instead just knowing that I didn't want to harm or be a part of harming animals in any way). It has come a long way but there is so, so much work to be done to help save and protect the animals. Thank you for your incredible work."

NEW THRIVING VEGAN "I wrote you a few weeks ago from Vancouver, BC and today wanted to drop you another line because my life has been really changing since I became vegan about a month ago. All aspects of my life are moving in a positive direction. It's truly amazing! I am creating a better relationship with my partner. I am enjoying more active social life. I 've got an incredible job offer. My health has improved. Things are finally falling into place, and I believe this is all happening because listening to your podcast and wise words motivates me to become a better person and make better choices in everything I do. So, thank you again, Colleen!"

VEGAN WITH A VOICE "Your work has inspired me beyond words can say, so I guess all I can say for now is 'Thank you!' At times it can be sooo frustrating to hear people ask the same boring questions over and over again, and it's hard not to just say to them "go Google it." Instead you have taught me to speak my truth in a concise, constructive way without sounding like I'm preaching. I often think of you when I have various interactions with non-vegans and think to myself 'what would Colleen do now?' As you know, you are giving your listeners a voice. I often refer to you affectionately as 'Aunt Colleen.' Your work is really wonderful."

Recipes!

BUILD YOUR OWN COOKBOOK!

Our online cookbook enables you to "build your own cookbook" by choosing the recipe packets that appeal to your preferences. Themes and cuisines abound, so take some time to browse around.

I'm very excited to share with you a new video clip of me demonstrating my infamous Garlic and Greens Soup.

WATCH THE NEW VIDEO

ORDER THE GARLIC AND GREENS SOUP FROM OUR POPULAR SOUPS AND STEWS PACKET

From Compassionate Cooks

ONE-YEAR ANNIVERSARY COOKBOOK SPECIAL!

SIGNED COPIES OF COOKBOOK The Joy of Vegan Baking has been out for one year, and its popularity continues to grow. To honor our anniversary, we are offering $5 off when you purchase it along with our cooking DVD. Together, they make a great gift package for anyone interested in learning to eat compassionately and healthfully. Offer good until November 9, 2008

"BE KIND" MESSAGE PRODUCTS: From t-shirts and aprons to bibs and mugs our "Be Kind to Animals" products enables you to spread the compassionate message without saying a word.

COOKING CLASS GIFT CERTIFICATES What could be better than a gift of health, of gastronomic pleasure, of compassion? Our Cooking Class Gift Certificates never expire and are a wonderful gift for friends and family.

RECOMMENDED SUPPLEMENTS: Based on extensive research and the recommendations of well-respected nutritionists and doctors, I recommend taking certain supplements (in addition to not as a subsitite for a healthful diet) as a way to achieve optimum health. I'm thrilled to be partnered with Dr. Joel Fuhrman, as I believe his work is of the highest integrity and his supplements are of the highest quality.

"Life-Changing" Podcast

THE SHEARING OF SHEEP

Though sheep play a huge role in the consciousness of our culture (through nursery rhymes, children's stories, fables, and religion), our primary relationship to them is through our exploitation of them. Whether it's their wool we're shearing, their skin we're wearing, their flesh we're eating, or their milk we're taking, we value sheep as we do other domesticated animals: simply for what we can take from them until they're all used up and shipped to slaughter - literally. Listen to this episode.

DON'T KNOW WHAT A PODCAST IS? Visit our new podcast page which explains what a podcast is and how to listen.

SPONSOR THE PODCAST Become a monthly or one-time Podcast Sponsor. Sponsors are thanked on the air and receive 'thank you' gifts, depending on the level of support.

BUY OUR SAMPLE PODCAST CDs Our brand-spanking new CDs enable you to encourage others to check out the podcast by just handing them a CD - no more explaining what a podcast is. Distribute them to friends, leave them in health food stores, share them with family members. $10 for a pack of 10; $65 for a pack of 100.

*If you'd like to receive email alerts when I post new podcasts, you can easily sign up for this service. Each episode addresses a different issue, question, and myth related to veganism/animal rights.

Essay - This I Know

TRICKS AND TREATS FOR HALLOWEEN

Many parents, having transitioned to or contemplated veganism, worry about how their children will participate in the most popular of Halloween rituals: Trick-or-Treating.

Junk though it is, Blow Pops, Cracker Jacks, Dots, Airheads Taffy, Hubba Bubba bubblegum, Jolly Ranchers, Jujubees, Mary Janes, Pez, Now and Later, Sour Patch Kids, Swedish Fish, Sweet Tarts, and Twizzlers all happen to be vegan – as are corn chips, potato chips, nuts, pretzels, and crackers.

Non-vegan candy contains some kind of animal by-product, such as casein (animal milk protein); gelatin (the boiled remains of slaughtered animals), lard (animal fat), rennet and pepsin (enzymes from an animalÂ’s stomach), stearic acid (animal fat), and urea (derived from the urine and other bodily fluids of animals).

Some parents worry that raising a child vegan will make them feel self-conscious about being “different.” If raising your child vegan is consistent with your values of non-violence, healthful living, and compassionate eating, then there’s nothing more to say. Talk to your children about why your family is vegan. Children get it. When they understand that the values you’re instilling reflect compassion for animals, they will take this on as their own ethic.

At the same time, there are some things you can do to make Trick-or-Treating a little less tricky: Make it clear that the rules are to eat no candy until they get home. Though it was for reasons of safety and temperance, this was my parentsÂ’ rule when I was little. No biggie. Find other vegan parents and kids to Trick-or-Treat with, so that your children have like-minded people they can relate to. Make your children part of the process of sorting through the non-vegan candy they receive. If they tend to get a lot of non-vegan candy, have alternatives waiting for them at home. They can swap the non-vegan for the vegan candy.

This holiday might seem like it’s about the candy, but it’s also about the quest – the excitement of going from house to house and collecting the booty! It’s about dressing up in exotic or scary costumes and it’s about being with friends and having fun. Try and put an emphasis on these things more than on the candy. (Photo at left: The only time I ever tortured my cats and dressed them up for Halloween lasted all of 2 minutes, and the costumes - handed down from an eensy-weensy dog - didn't fit anyway. Simon (not pictured) had none of it, but Schuster (pictured) "wore" a raincoat and hat long enough for me to take a picture.)

Thank you to our newsletter sponsors!

Vegan Essentials

VeganEssentials is a fantastic vegan-owned online store and retail shop located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Find everything from Companion Animal Supplies, Hair Care, and Cosmetics to Food & Sweets, Outdoor Wear, and Vitamins.

VISIT VEGAN ESSENTIALS

Paz Apparel

Vegan-owned Paz Apparel makes fabulous outback-style hats, baseball caps, and bags from recycled canvas and "vegetable leather," hand-crafted by Amazonian natives from sustainable plant matter. Does it get any better than that?? Check them out today!

VISIT PAZ APPAREL

Sponsor our newsletter

Share your fabulous products or services with our readers! Contact Krista Osborne, our Director of Marketing for many sponsorship opportunities.

Compassionate Cooks is dedicated to empowering people to make informed food choices and to debunking myths about vegetarianism through cooking classes, podcasts, workshops, essays & articles, farmed animal sanctuary tours, lectures, cooking DVDs, and cookbooks

Change email address / Leave mailing list Hosting by YourMailingListProvider

you're bored in retirement cuz your energies drained away, your money had no answer, you just still want more! your life was never different then the guy next door!

all your neighbors are competitors, where'd you all go wrong? there never was a mountain to climb. potential friends are now your enemies, where'd you all go wrong? there never was a mountain to climb.