IndiaDivine.org

Being a Hispanic Vegetarian

Rate this topic

Guest guest

A taco with only tomatoes and avocadoes tastes just as good

by Cynthia Pelayo cynthia.pelayo Opinion piece

I am a vegan, which is the strictest of all vegetarian types. I just have one simple rule: I don’t eat anything produced from something that has a face. This means no chicken, because contrary to some Latino beliefs, chicken is meat. Again, no chicken, turkey, cows, fish of any kind and nothing cute and cuddly like rabbits either. Being a vegan means that I don’t eat dairy products. I don’t drink milk, eat eggs or eat cheese. I don’t use butter, mayonnaise or honey when I cook. It’s a pretty simple rule to follow. Now, you may be asking yourself, “Why the hell would someone want to do that?†I have two reasons for you, health and ethics.

Health Many Hispanics believe that it’s impossible to be healthy without eating meat. My family always tells me that I’m going to get sick, or even die because I’m lacking protein and calcium, but that’s not true. “Where do you get your protein from?†is the question I am asked too frequently. I get my protein from plants, beans and nuts. My doctor would also be happy to tell you that I have exceedingly great cholesterol, bloods sugar and protein levels. I have great muscle mass; maintain a healthy weight (I lost nearly

Health and ethics — Although many Hispanics don’t understand the philosophy behind being a vegetarian or vegan, EXTRA’s own Cynthia Pelayo explains her reasons for being a vegan and the healthy results her choice has given her.

PUBLICIDAD

20 pounds after becoming a vegan) and my risks of heart disease, cancer, obesity and high blood pressure are slim.

The next annoying question I’m usually asked is, “What do you eat?†I eat anything, as long as it’s not derived from an animal product. I eat rice, beans, pastas, fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains and no, I don’t feel sluggish or weak. The major advantage of being a vegan is that I usually cook my own meals. Many of you are probably saying that cooking your own food is one of the major factors of keeping good health. If you eat at a restaurant, or warm up a frozen meal in the microwave, do you really know what you are eating? Ethics Our parents, great-grandparents and other ancestors raised animals caringly. They fed them well, and when it was time to sacrifice the cow they had raised for months for a meal, it was done so with respect for the animal. Today, hundreds of thousands of animals are slaughtered unceremoniously at factory farms, in filthy conditions without any regard to making it a painless process. If you have watched the news in the last months you probably would have seen several meat recalls. Why are these caused? Because of filthy conditions in factory farms that hold thousands of animals in tight, dark conditions. I became a vegan unexpectedly one day. I was taking

Health and ethics — Although many Hispanics don’t understand the philosophy behind being a vegetarian or vegan, EXTRA’s own Cynthia Pelayo explains her reasons for being a vegan and the healthy results her choice has given her.

PUBLICIDAD

a stroll through Lincoln Park Zoo, and stopped by the farm area. I saw a sow or mother pig with 10 of her piglets. They looked so happy, and clean and had so much space to walk around and play. I thought about it for a while and realized that’s what all animals want, to be safe, clean and happy. That was over a year ago, and I know I made the right choice.

For more information on a vegetarian diet, visit www.petaenespanol.com and www.goveg.com

Peter vv

I'm not so sure that animals were killed in a caring way in the

past. I know that doesn't apply here. In my local town, when I was

a kid (50 odd years ago)there would be pigs hanged upside down

outside the butchers shop, with their throats slit, draining the

blood and often the pigs were still alive :-( Not very caring.

Jo

, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

>

> A taco with only tomatoes and avocadoes tastes just as good

> by Cynthia Pelayo

> cynthia.pelayo

>  

> Opinion piece

> I am a vegan, which is the strictest of all vegetarian types. I

just have one simple rule: I don’t eat anything produced from

something that has a face. This means no chicken, because contrary to

some Latino beliefs, chicken is meat. Again, no chicken, turkey,

cows, fish of any kind and nothing cute and cuddly like rabbits

either. Being a vegan means that I don’t eat dairy products. I

don’t drink milk, eat eggs or eat cheese. I don’t use butter,

mayonnaise or honey when I cook. It’s a pretty simple rule to

follow. Now, you may be asking yourself, “Why the hell would

someone want to do that?†I have two reasons for you, health and

ethics.

> Health

> Many Hispanics believe that it’s impossible to be healthy without

eating meat. My family always tells me that I’m going to get sick,

or even die because I’m lacking protein and calcium, but that’s

not true. “Where do you get your protein from?†is the question I

am asked too frequently. I get my protein from plants, beans and

nuts. My doctor would also be happy to tell you that I have

exceedingly great cholesterol, bloods sugar and protein levels. I

have great muscle mass; maintain a healthy weight (I lost nearly

>

>

> Health and ethics †" Although many Hispanics don’t understand

the philosophy behind being a vegetarian or vegan, EXTRA’s own

Cynthia Pelayo explains her reasons for being a vegan and the healthy

results her choice has given her.

> PUBLICIDAD 20 pounds after becoming a vegan) and my risks of

heart disease, cancer, obesity and high blood pressure are slim.

> The next annoying question I’m usually asked is, “What do you

eat?†I eat anything, as long as it’s not derived from an animal

product. I eat rice, beans, pastas, fresh fruits, vegetables and

whole grains and no, I don’t feel sluggish or weak.

> The major advantage of being a vegan is that I usually cook my own

meals. Many of you are probably saying that cooking your own food is

one of the major factors of keeping good health. If you eat at a

restaurant, or warm up a frozen meal in the microwave, do you really

know what you are eating?

> Ethics

> Our parents, great-grandparents and other ancestors raised animals

caringly. They fed them well, and when it was time to sacrifice the

cow they had raised for months for a meal, it was done so with

respect for the animal. Today, hundreds of thousands of animals are

slaughtered unceremoniously at factory farms, in filthy conditions

without any regard to making it a painless process. If you have

watched the news in the last months you probably would have seen

several meat recalls. Why are these caused? Because of filthy

conditions in factory farms that hold thousands of animals in tight,

dark conditions.

> I became a vegan unexpectedly one day. I was taking

>

>

> PUBLICIDAD a stroll through Lincoln Park Zoo, and stopped by

the farm area. I saw a sow or mother pig with 10 of her piglets. They

looked so happy, and clean and had so much space to walk around and

play. I thought about it for a while and realized that’s what all

animals want, to be safe, clean and happy. That was over a year ago,

and I know I made the right choice.

> For more information on a vegetarian diet, visit

www.petaenespanol.com and www.goveg.com

> Peter vv

>

i think the only way to killing in a " caring " way is euthanasia. you can't kill for food, blood lust, or " justice " in a caring way. it's just not part of the definition. i grew up raising pigs and steers for food on a so called " gentleman's farm " . when it was slaughter time, my father " cared " so much as to make sure we weren't home when the butcher came to the house. he knew that if the kids saw what really happened, we wouldn't be so inclined to feed the piglets from human baby bottles in the future and raised them up to be four footed bacon respositories.

one day i came home from school and the butcher was late. the pigs were still there. he showed up, and i watched. i will never forget watching this man first chase one pig with a .22 caliber rifle around the pen, shoot it a couple times in the head, kick it until it went down, then chase the other horrified animal and do it in the same way. i won't describe the rest.

needless to say, my current diet and lifestyle is directly caused by this specific event. blake On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 12:42 AM, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

I'm not so sure that animals were killed in a caring way in the

past. I know that doesn't apply here. In my local town, when I was

a kid (50 odd years ago)there would be pigs hanged upside down

outside the butchers shop, with their throats slit, draining the

blood and often the pigs were still alive :-( Not very caring.

Jo

, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

>

> A taco with only tomatoes and avocadoes tastes just as good

> by Cynthia Pelayo

> cynthia.pelayo

> Â

> Opinion piece

> I am a vegan, which is the strictest of all vegetarian types. I

just have one simple rule: I don’t eat anything produced from

something that has a face. This means no chicken, because contrary to

some Latino beliefs, chicken is meat. Again, no chicken, turkey,

cows, fish of any kind and nothing cute and cuddly like rabbits

either. Being a vegan means that I don’t eat dairy products. I

don’t drink milk, eat eggs or eat cheese. I don’t use butter,

mayonnaise or honey when I cook. It’s a pretty simple rule to

follow. Now, you may be asking yourself, “Why the hell would

someone want to do that?†I have two reasons for you, health and

ethics.

> Health

> Many Hispanics believe that it’s impossible to be healthy without

eating meat. My family always tells me that I’m going to get sick,

or even die because I’m lacking protein and calcium, but that’s

not true. “Where do you get your protein from?†is the question I

am asked too frequently. I get my protein from plants, beans and

nuts. My doctor would also be happy to tell you that I have

exceedingly great cholesterol, bloods sugar and protein levels. I

have great muscle mass; maintain a healthy weight (I lost nearly

>

>

> PUBLICIDAD 20 pounds after becoming a vegan) and my risks of

heart disease, cancer, obesity and high blood pressure are slim.

> The next annoying question I’m usually asked is, “What do you

eat?†I eat anything, as long as it’s not derived from an animal

product. I eat rice, beans, pastas, fresh fruits, vegetables and

whole grains and no, I don’t feel sluggish or weak.

> The major advantage of being a vegan is that I usually cook my own

meals. Many of you are probably saying that cooking your own food is

one of the major factors of keeping good health. If you eat at a

restaurant, or warm up a frozen meal in the microwave, do you really

know what you are eating?

> Ethics

> Our parents, great-grandparents and other ancestors raised animals

caringly. They fed them well, and when it was time to sacrifice the

cow they had raised for months for a meal, it was done so with

respect for the animal. Today, hundreds of thousands of animals are

slaughtered unceremoniously at factory farms, in filthy conditions

without any regard to making it a painless process. If you have

watched the news in the last months you probably would have seen

several meat recalls. Why are these caused? Because of filthy

conditions in factory farms that hold thousands of animals in tight,

dark conditions.

> I became a vegan unexpectedly one day. I was taking

>

>

> PUBLICIDAD a stroll through Lincoln Park Zoo, and stopped by

the farm area. I saw a sow or mother pig with 10 of her piglets. They

looked so happy, and clean and had so much space to walk around and

play. I thought about it for a while and realized that’s what all

animals want, to be safe, clean and happy. That was over a year ago,

and I know I made the right choice.

> For more information on a vegetarian diet, visit

www.petaenespanol.com and www.goveg.com

> Peter vv

>

Hi Blake

I can quite understand why you chose to be vegan. What a horrible thing to see - but at least you were then aware of the truth of what happens.

Jo

-

Blake Wilson

Friday, October 17, 2008 3:25 PM

Re: Re: Being a Hispanic Vegetarian

i think the only way to killing in a "caring" way is euthanasia. you can't kill for food, blood lust, or "justice" in a caring way. it's just not part of the definition. i grew up raising pigs and steers for food on a so called "gentleman's farm". when it was slaughter time, my father "cared" so much as to make sure we weren't home when the butcher came to the house. he knew that if the kids saw what really happened, we wouldn't be so inclined to feed the piglets from human baby bottles in the future and raised them up to be four footed bacon respositories. one day i came home from school and the butcher was late. the pigs were still there. he showed up, and i watched. i will never forget watching this man first chase one pig with a .22 caliber rifle around the pen, shoot it a couple times in the head, kick it until it went down, then chase the other horrified animal and do it in the same way. i won't describe the rest. needless to say, my current diet and lifestyle is directly caused by this specific event. blake

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 12:42 AM, heartwerk <jo.heartwork > wrote:

I'm not so sure that animals were killed in a caring way in the past. I know that doesn't apply here. In my local town, when I was a kid (50 odd years ago)there would be pigs hanged upside down outside the butchers shop, with their throats slit, draining the blood and often the pigs were still alive :-( Not very caring.Jo , Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:>> A taco with only tomatoes and avocadoes tastes just as good> by Cynthia Pelayo > cynthia.pelayo >  > Opinion piece > I am a vegan, which is the strictest of all vegetarian types. I just have one simple rule: I don’t eat anything produced from something that has a face. This means no chicken, because contrary to some Latino beliefs, chicken is meat. Again, no chicken, turkey, cows, fish of any kind and nothing cute and cuddly like rabbits either. Being a vegan means that I don’t eat dairy products. I don’t drink milk, eat eggs or eat cheese. I don’t use butter, mayonnaise or honey when I cook. It’s a pretty simple rule to follow. Now, you may be asking yourself, “Why the hell would someone want to do that?†I have two reasons for you, health and ethics. > Health > Many Hispanics believe that it’s impossible to be healthy without eating meat. My family always tells me that I’m going to get sick, or even die because I’m lacking protein and calcium, but that’s not true. “Where do you get your protein from?†is the question I am asked too frequently. I get my protein from plants, beans and nuts. My doctor would also be happy to tell you that I have exceedingly great cholesterol, bloods sugar and protein levels. I have great muscle mass; maintain a healthy weight (I lost nearly > > > Health and ethics â€" Although many Hispanics don’t understand the philosophy behind being a vegetarian or vegan, EXTRA’s own Cynthia Pelayo explains her reasons for being a vegan and the healthy results her choice has given her. > PUBLICIDAD 20 pounds after becoming a vegan) and my risks of heart disease, cancer, obesity and high blood pressure are slim. > The next annoying question I’m usually asked is, “What do you eat?†I eat anything, as long as it’s not derived from an animal product. I eat rice, beans, pastas, fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains and no, I don’t feel sluggish or weak. > The major advantage of being a vegan is that I usually cook my own meals. Many of you are probably saying that cooking your own food is one of the major factors of keeping good health. If you eat at a restaurant, or warm up a frozen meal in the microwave, do you really know what you are eating? > Ethics > Our parents, great-grandparents and other ancestors raised animals caringly. They fed them well, and when it was time to sacrifice the cow they had raised for months for a meal, it was done so with respect for the animal. Today, hundreds of thousands of animals are slaughtered unceremoniously at factory farms, in filthy conditions without any regard to making it a painless process. If you have watched the news in the last months you probably would have seen several meat recalls. Why are these caused? Because of filthy conditions in factory farms that hold thousands of animals in tight, dark conditions. > I became a vegan unexpectedly one day. I was taking > > > Health and ethics â€" Although many Hispanics don’t understand the philosophy behind being a vegetarian or vegan, EXTRA’s own Cynthia Pelayo explains her reasons for being a vegan and the healthy results her choice has given her. > PUBLICIDAD a stroll through Lincoln Park Zoo, and stopped by the farm area. I saw a sow or mother pig with 10 of her piglets. They looked so happy, and clean and had so much space to walk around and play. I thought about it for a while and realized that’s what all animals want, to be safe, clean and happy. That was over a year ago, and I know I made the right choice. > For more information on a vegetarian diet, visit www.petaenespanol.com and www.goveg.com > Peter vv>

it took a couple years after that to become a vegetarian. talk about cognitive dissonace! i ate those animals! blake On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 9:23 AM, jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork wrote:

Hi Blake

I can quite understand why you chose to be vegan. What a horrible thing to see - but at least you were then aware of the truth of what happens.

Jo

-

Blake Wilson

i think the only way to killing in a " caring " way is euthanasia. you can't kill for food, blood lust, or " justice " in a caring way. it's just not part of the definition. i grew up raising pigs and steers for food on a so called " gentleman's farm " . when it was slaughter time, my father " cared " so much as to make sure we weren't home when the butcher came to the house. he knew that if the kids saw what really happened, we wouldn't be so inclined to feed the piglets from human baby bottles in the future and raised them up to be four footed bacon respositories. one day i came home from school and the butcher was late. the pigs were still there. he showed up, and i watched. i will never forget watching this man first chase one pig with a .22 caliber rifle around the pen, shoot it a couple times in the head, kick it until it went down, then chase the other horrified animal and do it in the same way. i won't describe the rest. needless to say, my current diet and lifestyle is directly caused by this specific event. blake

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 12:42 AM, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

I'm not so sure that animals were killed in a caring way in the past. I know that doesn't apply here. In my local town, when I was a kid (50 odd years ago)there would be pigs hanged upside down outside the butchers shop, with their throats slit, draining the blood and often the pigs were still alive :-( Not very caring.Jo , Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:>> A taco with only tomatoes and avocadoes tastes just as good> by Cynthia Pelayo > cynthia.pelayo >  > Opinion piece > I am a vegan, which is the strictest of all vegetarian types. I just have one simple rule: I don’t eat anything produced from something that has a face. This means no chicken, because contrary to some Latino beliefs, chicken is meat. Again, no chicken, turkey, cows, fish of any kind and nothing cute and cuddly like rabbits either. Being a vegan means that I don’t eat dairy products. I don’t drink milk, eat eggs or eat cheese. I don’t use butter, mayonnaise or honey when I cook. It’s a pretty simple rule to follow. Now, you may be asking yourself, “Why the hell would someone want to do that?†I have two reasons for you, health and ethics. > Health > Many Hispanics believe that it’s impossible to be healthy without eating meat. My family always tells me that I’m going to get sick, or even die because I’m lacking protein and calcium, but that’s not true. “Where do you get your protein from?†is the question I am asked too frequently. I get my protein from plants, beans and nuts. My doctor would also be happy to tell you that I have exceedingly great cholesterol, bloods sugar and protein levels. I have great muscle mass; maintain a healthy weight (I lost nearly > > > Health and ethics †" Although many Hispanics don’t understand the philosophy behind being a vegetarian or vegan, EXTRA’s own Cynthia Pelayo explains her reasons for being a vegan and the healthy results her choice has given her. > PUBLICIDAD 20 pounds after becoming a vegan) and my risks of heart disease, cancer, obesity and high blood pressure are slim. > The next annoying question I’m usually asked is, “What do you eat?†I eat anything, as long as it’s not derived from an animal product. I eat rice, beans, pastas, fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains and no, I don’t feel sluggish or weak. > The major advantage of being a vegan is that I usually cook my own meals. Many of you are probably saying that cooking your own food is one of the major factors of keeping good health. If you eat at a restaurant, or warm up a frozen meal in the microwave, do you really know what you are eating? > Ethics > Our parents, great-grandparents and other ancestors raised animals caringly. They fed them well, and when it was time to sacrifice the cow they had raised for months for a meal, it was done so with respect for the animal. Today, hundreds of thousands of animals are slaughtered unceremoniously at factory farms, in filthy conditions without any regard to making it a painless process. If you have watched the news in the last months you probably would have seen several meat recalls. Why are these caused? Because of filthy conditions in factory farms that hold thousands of animals in tight, dark conditions. > I became a vegan unexpectedly one day. I was taking > > > Health and ethics †" Although many Hispanics don’t understand the philosophy behind being a vegetarian or vegan, EXTRA’s own Cynthia Pelayo explains her reasons for being a vegan and the healthy results her choice has given her. > PUBLICIDAD a stroll through Lincoln Park Zoo, and stopped by the farm area. I saw a sow or mother pig with 10 of her piglets. They looked so happy, and clean and had so much space to walk around and play. I thought about it for a while and realized that’s what all animals want, to be safe, clean and happy. That was over a year ago, and I know I made the right choice. > For more information on a vegetarian diet, visit www.petaenespanol.com and www.goveg.com > Peter vv>

There is no need to eat meat whatsover.

I am vegetarian from birth and have never had a single health

problem.

I became vegan as an adult in Januray of 2003? and have never looked

back becuase I have so much more energy. I am very health conscious.

The most important thing in my opinion is to make sure you are

getting a balanced diet.. all the different vitamins found in food.

orange, green, purple, yellow foods etc.

I get confused with being someone ten years younger and I have been

asked if I am the older sister of my little boy :)

I skateboard, I climb trees and there is nothing I can do. With a

whole foods, plant based diet.. I have never felt better.

Anouk

> , Peter VV <swpgh01@> wrote:

> >

> > A taco with only tomatoes and avocadoes tastes just as good

> > by Cynthia Pelayo

> > cynthia.pelayo@

> >  

> > Opinion piece

> > I am a vegan, which is the strictest of all vegetarian types. I

> just have one simple rule: I don’t eat anything produced from

> something that has a face. This means no chicken, because contrary

That's really sad blake. It like charlotte's web.

, " Blake Wilson " <mbw wrote:

>

> i think the only way to killing in a " caring " way is euthanasia. you

can't

> kill for food, blood lust, or " justice " in a caring way. it's just

not part

> of the definition. i grew up raising pigs and steers for food on a so

called

> " gentleman's farm " . when it was slaughter time, my father " cared " so

much as

> to make sure we weren't home when the butcher came to the house. he

knew

It often takes a while to take the actions that you intend. You got there in the end though.

Jo

-

Blake Wilson

Saturday, October 18, 2008 4:14 PM

it took a couple years after that to become a vegetarian. talk about cognitive dissonace! i ate those animals! blake

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 9:23 AM, jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork > wrote:

Hi Blake

Jo

-

Blake Wilson

i think the only way to killing in a "caring" way is euthanasia. you can't kill for food, blood lust, or "justice" in a caring way. it's just not part of the definition. i grew up raising pigs and steers for food on a so called "gentleman's farm". when it was slaughter time, my father "cared" so much as to make sure we weren't home when the butcher came to the house. he knew that if the kids saw what really happened, we wouldn't be so inclined to feed the piglets from human baby bottles in the future and raised them up to be four footed bacon respositories. one day i came home from school and the butcher was late. the pigs were still there. he showed up, and i watched. i will never forget watching this man first chase one pig with a .22 caliber rifle around the pen, shoot it a couple times in the head, kick it until it went down, then chase the other horrified animal and do it in the same way. i won't describe the rest. needless to say, my current diet and lifestyle is directly caused by this specific event. blake

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 12:42 AM, heartwerk <jo.heartwork > wrote:

I'm not so sure that animals were killed in a caring way in the past. I know that doesn't apply here. In my local town, when I was a kid (50 odd years ago)there would be pigs hanged upside down outside the butchers shop, with their throats slit, draining the blood and often the pigs were still alive :-( Not very caring.Jo , Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:>> A taco with only tomatoes and avocadoes tastes just as good> by Cynthia Pelayo > cynthia.pelayo >  > Opinion piece > I am a vegan, which is the strictest of all vegetarian types. I just have one simple rule: I don’t eat anything produced from something that has a face. This means no chicken, because contrary to some Latino beliefs, chicken is meat. Again, no chicken, turkey, cows, fish of any kind and nothing cute and cuddly like rabbits either. Being a vegan means that I don’t eat dairy products. I don’t drink milk, eat eggs or eat cheese. I don’t use butter, mayonnaise or honey when I cook. It’s a pretty simple rule to follow. Now, you may be asking yourself, “Why the hell would someone want to do that?†I have two reasons for you, health and ethics. > Health > Many Hispanics believe that it’s impossible to be healthy without eating meat. My family always tells me that I’m going to get sick, or even die because I’m lacking protein and calcium, but that’s not true. “Where do you get your protein from?†is the question I am asked too frequently. I get my protein from plants, beans and nuts. My doctor would also be happy to tell you that I have exceedingly great cholesterol, bloods sugar and protein levels. I have great muscle mass; maintain a healthy weight (I lost nearly > > > Health and ethics â€" Although many Hispanics don’t understand the philosophy behind being a vegetarian or vegan, EXTRA’s own Cynthia Pelayo explains her reasons for being a vegan and the healthy results her choice has given her. > PUBLICIDAD 20 pounds after becoming a vegan) and my risks of heart disease, cancer, obesity and high blood pressure are slim. > The next annoying question I’m usually asked is, “What do you eat?†I eat anything, as long as it’s not derived from an animal product. I eat rice, beans, pastas, fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains and no, I don’t feel sluggish or weak. > The major advantage of being a vegan is that I usually cook my own meals. Many of you are probably saying that cooking your own food is one of the major factors of keeping good health. If you eat at a restaurant, or warm up a frozen meal in the microwave, do you really know what you are eating? > Ethics > Our parents, great-grandparents and other ancestors raised animals caringly. They fed them well, and when it was time to sacrifice the cow they had raised for months for a meal, it was done so with respect for the animal. Today, hundreds of thousands of animals are slaughtered unceremoniously at factory farms, in filthy conditions without any regard to making it a painless process. If you have watched the news in the last months you probably would have seen several meat recalls. Why are these caused? Because of filthy conditions in factory farms that hold thousands of animals in tight, dark conditions. > I became a vegan unexpectedly one day. I was taking > > > Health and ethics â€" Although many Hispanics don’t understand the philosophy behind being a vegetarian or vegan, EXTRA’s own Cynthia Pelayo explains her reasons for being a vegan and the healthy results her choice has given her. > PUBLICIDAD a stroll through Lincoln Park Zoo, and stopped by the farm area. I saw a sow or mother pig with 10 of her piglets. They looked so happy, and clean and had so much space to walk around and play. I thought about it for a while and realized that’s what all animals want, to be safe, clean and happy. That was over a year ago, and I know I made the right choice. > For more information on a vegetarian diet, visit www.petaenespanol.com and www.goveg.com > Peter vv>