IndiaDivine.org

please help with beans

Rate this topic

Guest guest

'Eat more beans' to stop cancer

Beans contain a potent anti-cancer compoundA diet rich in beans, nuts and cereals could be a way to prevent cancer, believe UK researchers. Scientists at University College London have discovered that these everyday foods contain a potent anti-cancer compound. This blocks a key enzyme involved in tumour growth, they told Cancer Research journal. The researchers say, in the future, it might be possible to mimic this compound in an anti-cancer drug.

Our study suggests the importance of a diet enriched in foods such as beans, nuts and cereals which could help prevent cancer

Researcher Dr Marco Falasca

Scientists have been exploring the enzyme phosphoinositide 3-kinase as a target for cancer treatment for some time but inhibitors have been difficult to develop because of problems with chemical stability and toxicity. Dr Marco Falasca and colleagues have discovered that a natural compound, called inositol pentakisphosphate, which is found in most legumes as well as in wheat bran and nuts, blocks the activity of the enzyme. When they tested its action in mice with ovarian and lung cancer they found it not only blocked tumour growth but also enhanced the effect of other cancer-killing drugs. In addition, it appeared to be non-toxic, unlike conventional chemotherapy agents. Dr Falasca said: "Our study suggests the importance of a diet enriched in foods such as beans, nuts and cereals which could help prevent cancer. "Our work will now focus on establishing whether the phosphate inhibitor can be developed into an anti-cancer agent for human therapy.

The next step is to look at whether inositol pentakisphosphate is able to inhibit tumour growth in cancer patients

Henry Scowcroft of Cancer Research UK

"We believe that inositol pentakisphosphate is a promising anti-cancer tool and we hope to bring it to clinical testing soon." Henry Scowcroft of Cancer Research UK said: "It is always encouraging when a newly discovered chemical is shown to have anti-cancer activity in the laboratory, especially when it occurs naturally in foods like beans and peas. "Obviously, the next step is to look at whether inositol pentakisphosphate is able to inhibit tumour growth in cancer patients, in properly controlled clinical trials." He said researchers were also looking at whether people who eat more lentils, peas and beans are actually at lower risk of developing cancers "What we do know already is that a diet that includes at least five portions of fruit and vegetables a day can help to reduce the risk of cancer."

flower child Oct 18, 2008 10:17 AM Re: please help with recipes

Hi nina, I love beans! They have a compound (which I can't rember right now)but they have an ingredient which is anti-cancer. A phytochemical.There are many ways to make beans. Depending on the culture. Indian, Mexican, Cuban, African etc. It's fun to explore. anouk , <nina92116 wrote:>> Do you have a crock pot? Can you buy dried beans? They're very cheap and surprisingly easy to prepare. With a crockpot they don't require watching the way they would on a stove top, But if you don't have a crockpot they can be done that way.> > > - > ravenflight393 > > Friday, October 17, 2008 9:36 AM> please help with recipes> > > Hi everyone,> > I am glad to have found this group. I have a number of disabilities > and I am going through a particularly hard time right now. Even in the > best of times I hate to cook but lately my nutrition has really > suffered. I mostly live on cheerios/soymilk. There is not a single > vegetarian restaurant in my city. I would really appreciate it if > someone would share with me recipes they eat on an everyday basis. I > am vegan and I am looking for meals that are healthy (nutritious and > low calorie), tasty and very easy to prepare. Thank you for any > recipes you have to share.> > Raven>

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

Confucius

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Beans on toast with HP SAUCE..............................A life saver............

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Saturday, 18 October, 2008 6:44:27 PMRe: Re: please help with beans

'Eat more beans' to stop cancer

Beans contain a potent anti-cancer compoundA diet rich in beans, nuts and cereals could be a way to prevent cancer, believe UK researchers. Scientists at University College London have discovered that these everyday foods contain a potent anti-cancer compound. This blocks a key enzyme involved in tumour growth, they told Cancer Research journal. The researchers say, in the future, it might be possible to mimic this compound in an anti-cancer drug.

Our study suggests the importance of a diet enriched in foods such as beans, nuts and cereals which could help prevent cancer

Researcher Dr Marco Falasca

Scientists have been exploring the enzyme phosphoinositide 3-kinase as a target for cancer treatment for some time but inhibitors have been difficult to develop because of problems with chemical stability and toxicity. Dr Marco Falasca and colleagues have discovered that a natural compound, called inositol pentakisphosphate, which is found in most legumes as well as in wheat bran and nuts, blocks the activity of the enzyme. When they tested its action in mice with ovarian and lung cancer they found it not only blocked tumour growth but also enhanced the effect of other cancer-killing drugs. In addition, it appeared to be non-toxic, unlike conventional chemotherapy agents. Dr Falasca said: "Our study suggests the importance of a diet enriched in foods such as beans, nuts and cereals which could help prevent cancer. "Our work will now focus on establishing whether the phosphate inhibitor can be developed into an anti-cancer agent for human therapy.

The next step is to look at whether inositol pentakisphosphate is able to inhibit tumour growth in cancer patients

Henry Scowcroft of Cancer Research UK

"We believe that inositol pentakisphosphate is a promising anti-cancer tool and we hope to bring it to clinical testing soon." Henry Scowcroft of Cancer Research UK said: "It is always encouraging when a newly discovered chemical is shown to have anti-cancer activity in the laboratory, especially when it occurs naturally in foods like beans and peas. "Obviously, the next step is to look at whether inositol pentakisphosphate is able to inhibit tumour growth in cancer patients, in properly controlled clinical trials." He said researchers were also looking at whether people who eat more lentils, peas and beans are actually at lower risk of developing cancers "What we do know already is that a diet that includes at least five portions of fruit and vegetables a day can help to reduce the risk of cancer."

flower child Oct 18, 2008 10:17 AM @gro ups.com Re: please help with recipes

Hi nina, I love beans! They have a compound (which I can't rember right now)but they have an ingredient which is anti-cancer. A phytochemical.There are many ways to make beans. Depending on the culture. Indian, Mexican, Cuban, African etc. It's fun to explore. anouk@gro ups.com, <nina92116@. ..> wrote:>> Do you have a crock pot? Can you buy dried beans? They're very cheap and surprisingly easy to prepare. With a crockpot they don't require watching the way they would on a stove top, But if you don't have a crockpot they can be done that way.> > > - > ravenflight393 > @gro ups.com > Friday, October 17, 2008 9:36 AM> please help with recipes> > > Hi everyone,> > I am glad to have found this group. I have a number of disabilities > and I am going through a particularly hard time right now. Even in the > best of times I hate to cook but lately my nutrition has really > suffered. I mostly live on cheerios/soymilk. There is not a single > vegetarian restaurant in my city. I would really appreciate it if > someone would share with me recipes they eat on an everyday basis. I > am vegan and I am looking for meals that are healthy (nutritious and > low calorie), tasty and very easy to prepare. Thank you for any > recipes you have to share.> > Raven>

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. ConfuciusSend instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.