that my husband had to make the turkey because I wasn't touching it --

it grossed me out. I enjoyed a Tofurkey myself (my husband

complains it tastes like cardboard) and ate the other vegetarian

veggies at hand. Nobody tried my Tofurkey and poked fun at it a

bit.

After they left I felt pretty nauseated about the whole thing and

told my husband that I didn't want to cater to their meat-eating

again since we ran a vegetarian household. I asked that we not make

turkey or other meat again for visitors.

This year, I planned to make a vegan smorgasbord for Thanksgiving.

The in-laws asked to visit again this year and we accepted but my

husband told them we wouldn't be making turkey. Well, this made my

mother-in-law turn on the waterworks and she actually cried, telling

my husband that she absolutely had to have protein and that they

needed the turkey--how could they *not* have turkey? My husband,

acting as the middle man, came back to me and asked that I give in

about the turkey. I refused and told him that I could guarantee her

protein intake with non-meat food. My husband got upset (he's not

vegan, only a vegetarian) and said that I was proselytizing to his

mother--which I most certainly wasn't. He came back to his mother

with my offer but she wouldn't budge. She still demanded her dead

fowl for protein. She didn't understand why I couldn't just do it

once a year for them.

As it stands now, we compromised and are going out to a restaurant so

that they can get their meat and I can eat my veggies. I don't

believe most turkey-serving places will serve vegan food so I think

we're stuck with Indian or Thai restaurants--both of which have main

courses that I can eat. I'm getting a guilt-trip now from my husband

and I'm sure I'll have to endure the silent suffering of the in-laws

when they visit. I would love to give them a vegan nutrition book

and highlight the " People Can Get Protein From Sources Other Than

Meat " sections. My husband thinks it would be insulting and told me

it would anger them.

We're thinking about moving closer to his family soon in the other

state and it's caused some tense conversations here. My husband is

worried now about the possibility of being invited to family meals

that I won't eat--or that no one will invite us over because I'm

being " difficult " about the food. What's the proper etiquette for

these family meals without being rude or rocking the boat? What has

everyone else done to prevent major battles around holidays?

Diid I miss something here?, you did say that your husband is a vegetarian?, and yet he sympathises with his family over you ( his wife )?. It shouldnt be about sides, no one is the enemy here, we are all adults and should be able to compromise. I married a meat eater, I wont have anything to do with her food, but I dont push my food on her or her friends and relatives. They all know my lifestyle choice, and leave me to it. They live their lives and I live mine. I wont tell them what to eat, and they wont tell me.I have conversations around my lifestyle, only when they ask, i dont force my beliefs on them. My wife will eat my food, but does still eat flesh.

Personally, and its only my opinion, your husband should back you up, as you are his family now.

Peter vv

whitty__ <ravenwolf18 Sent: Monday, 27 October, 2008 3:26:49 PM Not Giving Thanks About Thanksgiving

My husband's mother and step-father have made it a tradition of sorts to come and visit us for Thanksgiving every year. They live in another state (along with all of my husband's other relatives) and drive out 6 hours to visit us for a day or two. Last year, while still just a vegetarian, I gave in to my husband's request for a turkey for them (which, for those of you who aren't American, is a traditional centerpiece of food for this holiday). My condition was that my husband had to make the turkey because I wasn't touching it --it grossed me out. I enjoyed a Tofurkey myself (my husband complains it tastes like cardboard) and ate the other vegetarian veggies at hand. Nobody tried my Tofurkey and poked fun at it a bit. After they left I felt pretty nauseated about the whole thing and told my husband that I didn't want to cater to their meat-eating again since we ran a vegetarian household. I

asked that we not make turkey or other meat again for visitors.This year, I planned to make a vegan smorgasbord for Thanksgiving. The in-laws asked to visit again this year and we accepted but my husband told them we wouldn't be making turkey. Well, this made my mother-in-law turn on the waterworks and she actually cried, telling my husband that she absolutely had to have protein and that they needed the turkey--how could they *not* have turkey? My husband, acting as the middle man, came back to me and asked that I give in about the turkey. I refused and told him that I could guarantee her protein intake with non-meat food. My husband got upset (he's not vegan, only a vegetarian) and said that I was proselytizing to his mother--which I most certainly wasn't. He came back to his mother with my offer but she wouldn't budge. She still demanded her dead fowl for protein. She didn't understand why I

couldn't just do it once a year for them. As it stands now, we compromised and are going out to a restaurant so that they can get their meat and I can eat my veggies. I don't believe most turkey-serving places will serve vegan food so I think we're stuck with Indian or Thai restaurants- -both of which have main courses that I can eat. I'm getting a guilt-trip now from my husband and I'm sure I'll have to endure the silent suffering of the in-laws when they visit. I would love to give them a vegan nutrition book and highlight the "People Can Get Protein From Sources Other Than Meat" sections. My husband thinks it would be insulting and told me it would anger them. We're thinking about moving closer to his family soon in the other state and it's caused some tense conversations here. My husband is worried now about the possibility of being invited to family meals that I won't eat--or that

no one will invite us over because I'm being "difficult" about the food. What's the proper etiquette for these family meals without being rude or rocking the boat? What has everyone else done to prevent major battles around holidays?

since you are going to a restaurant, it's a moot point this time

but, how would it be possible to invite said MIL over and have her help make a vegan/vegetarian thanxgivin dinner with you? bring out a ton of recipes and bring her into it? if she's involved, maybe she won't be such a drama queen?

dunno really.....

as a non confrontational approach, say you were allergic to peanuts. would she be upset if you made a meal without peanuts? can you think of how you would broach that to them?

sorry, if it was me, i'd be "we are not cooking dead animals in my house, thats beyond offensive". but, i'm an *ss.

we have a thanxfernuthin celebration every year at a friend's house, which nicely sidesteps the problem for us. a hundred or so friends. a dead things table. a vegetarian table. a vegan table. the only slightly annoying part is when all the carnies eat up all the vegan food, hahahahahha

whitty__ Oct 27, 2008 8:26 AM Not Giving Thanks About Thanksgiving

My husband's mother and step-father have made it a tradition of sorts to come and visit us for Thanksgiving every year. They live in another state (along with all of my husband's other relatives) and drive out 6 hours to visit us for a day or two. Last year, while still just a vegetarian, I gave in to my husband's request for a turkey for them (which, for those of you who aren't American, is a traditional centerpiece of food for this holiday). My condition was that my husband had to make the turkey because I wasn't touching it --it grossed me out. I enjoyed a Tofurkey myself (my husband complains it tastes like cardboard) and ate the other vegetarian veggies at hand. Nobody tried my Tofurkey and poked fun at it a bit. After they left I felt pretty nauseated about the whole thing and told my husband that I didn't want to cater to their meat-eating again since we ran a vegetarian household. I asked that we not make turkey or other meat again for visitors.This year, I planned to make a vegan smorgasbord for Thanksgiving. The in-laws asked to visit again this year and we accepted but my husband told them we wouldn't be making turkey. Well, this made my mother-in-law turn on the waterworks and she actually cried, telling my husband that she absolutely had to have protein and that they needed the turkey--how could they *not* have turkey? My husband, acting as the middle man, came back to me and asked that I give in about the turkey. I refused and told him that I could guarantee her protein intake with non-meat food. My husband got upset (he's not vegan, only a vegetarian) and said that I was proselytizing to his mother--which I most certainly wasn't. He came back to his mother with my offer but she wouldn't budge. She still demanded her dead fowl for protein. She didn't understand why I couldn't just do it once a year for them. As it stands now, we compromised and are going out to a restaurant so that they can get their meat and I can eat my veggies. I don't believe most turkey-serving places will serve vegan food so I think we're stuck with Indian or Thai restaurants--both of which have main courses that I can eat. I'm getting a guilt-trip now from my husband and I'm sure I'll have to endure the silent suffering of the in-laws when they visit. I would love to give them a vegan nutrition book and highlight the "People Can Get Protein From Sources Other Than Meat" sections. My husband thinks it would be insulting and told me it would anger them. We're thinking about moving closer to his family soon in the other state and it's caused some tense conversations here. My husband is worried now about the possibility of being invited to family meals that I won't eat--or that no one will invite us over because I'm being "difficult" about the food. What's the proper etiquette for these family meals without being rude or rocking the boat? What has everyone else done to prevent major battles around holidays?

For in a Republic, who is “the country� Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn’t. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Mark Twain

Geeze, if they traditionally sacrificed a virgin for thanksgiving would you be required to procure one for them?

OK, I know that's not helpful. I'm sorry you have to go through this. People are so weird about their food and those of us who practice alternate diets seem to threaten them horribly. And then there are family dynamics. Sounds like your mother in law knows how to get her family to do what she wants them to, and your lack of cooperation must bug the bejepus out of her. I don't think it's actually about protein, or turkey. It's about power. If it was just about the food she could have insisted that you come to her home this year instead so she could control the menu. In fact, you might want to suggest that if it's so very important to her she do just that - in a pleasant tone of voice. Then you could just fix something else for yourself. I don't think attempts to educate her about nutrition are going to be much help.

Try to take a deep breath and detach yourself emotionally from this issue as much as you're able. And try real hard to avoid living next door to the woman. LOL

-

whitty__

Monday, October 27, 2008 8:26 AM

Not Giving Thanks About Thanksgiving

I'm getting a guilt-trip now from my husband and I'm sure I'll have to endure the silent suffering of the in-laws when they visit. I would love to give them a vegan nutrition book and highlight the "People Can Get Protein From Sources Other Than Meat" sections. My husband thinks it would be insulting and told me it would anger them.

Oh dear! I think going out to eat is the best option. Other than that, they could invite you to their place, and you could take your own food.

Good Luck

Jo

-

whitty__

Monday, October 27, 2008 3:26 PM

My husband's mother and step-father have made it a tradition of sorts to come and visit us for Thanksgiving every year. They live in another state (along with all of my husband's other relatives) and drive out 6 hours to visit us for a day or two. Last year, while still just a vegetarian, I gave in to my husband's request for a turkey for them (which, for those of you who aren't American, is a traditional centerpiece of food for this holiday). My condition was that my husband had to make the turkey because I wasn't touching it --it grossed me out. I enjoyed a Tofurkey myself (my husband complains it tastes like cardboard) and ate the other vegetarian veggies at hand. Nobody tried my Tofurkey and poked fun at it a bit. After they left I felt pretty nauseated about the whole thing and told my husband that I didn't want to cater to their meat-eating again since we ran a vegetarian household. I asked that we not make turkey or other meat again for visitors.This year, I planned to make a vegan smorgasbord for Thanksgiving. The in-laws asked to visit again this year and we accepted but my husband told them we wouldn't be making turkey. Well, this made my mother-in-law turn on the waterworks and she actually cried, telling my husband that she absolutely had to have protein and that they needed the turkey--how could they *not* have turkey? My husband, acting as the middle man, came back to me and asked that I give in about the turkey. I refused and told him that I could guarantee her protein intake with non-meat food. My husband got upset (he's not vegan, only a vegetarian) and said that I was proselytizing to his mother--which I most certainly wasn't. He came back to his mother with my offer but she wouldn't budge. She still demanded her dead fowl for protein. She didn't understand why I couldn't just do it once a year for them. As it stands now, we compromised and are going out to a restaurant so that they can get their meat and I can eat my veggies. I don't believe most turkey-serving places will serve vegan food so I think we're stuck with Indian or Thai restaurants--both of which have main courses that I can eat. I'm getting a guilt-trip now from my husband and I'm sure I'll have to endure the silent suffering of the in-laws when they visit. I would love to give them a vegan nutrition book and highlight the "People Can Get Protein From Sources Other Than Meat" sections. My husband thinks it would be insulting and told me it would anger them. We're thinking about moving closer to his family soon in the other state and it's caused some tense conversations here. My husband is worried now about the possibility of being invited to family meals that I won't eat--or that no one will invite us over because I'm being "difficult" about the food. What's the proper etiquette for these family meals without being rude or rocking the boat? What has everyone else done to prevent major battles around holidays?

I think you are right about the power issue.

Jo

-

nina92116

Monday, October 27, 2008 6:12 PM

Re: Not Giving Thanks About Thanksgiving

Geeze, if they traditionally sacrificed a virgin for thanksgiving would you be required to procure one for them?

OK, I know that's not helpful. I'm sorry you have to go through this. People are so weird about their food and those of us who practice alternate diets seem to threaten them horribly. And then there are family dynamics. Sounds like your mother in law knows how to get her family to do what she wants them to, and your lack of cooperation must bug the bejepus out of her. I don't think it's actually about protein, or turkey. It's about power. If it was just about the food she could have insisted that you come to her home this year instead so she could control the menu. In fact, you might want to suggest that if it's so very important to her she do just that - in a pleasant tone of voice. Then you could just fix something else for yourself. I don't think attempts to educate her about nutrition are going to be much help.

Try to take a deep breath and detach yourself emotionally from this issue as much as you're able. And try real hard to avoid living next door to the woman. LOL

-

whitty__

I'm getting a guilt-trip now from my husband and I'm sure I'll have to endure the silent suffering of the in-laws when they visit. I would love to give them a vegan nutrition book and highlight the "People Can Get Protein From Sources Other Than Meat" sections. My husband thinks it would be insulting and told me it would anger them.

I find this whole thing a bit odd. When I am invited to someone's house for a meal, I let them know that I am vegan, and if they are unhappy to cook a vegan meal for me, I offer to take along my own food. It isn't up to a guest in someone else's house to dictate what will be cooked and eaten by the host. They should be grateful to be invited.

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Monday, October 27, 2008 5:53 PM

Diid I miss something here?, you did say that your husband is a vegetarian?, and yet he sympathises with his family over you ( his wife )?. It shouldnt be about sides, no one is the enemy here, we are all adults and should be able to compromise. I married a meat eater, I wont have anything to do with her food, but I dont push my food on her or her friends and relatives. They all know my lifestyle choice, and leave me to it. They live their lives and I live mine. I wont tell them what to eat, and they wont tell me.I have conversations around my lifestyle, only when they ask, i dont force my beliefs on them. My wife will eat my food, but does still eat flesh.

Personally, and its only my opinion, your husband should back you up, as you are his family now.

Peter vv

whitty__ <ravenwolf18 Sent: Monday, 27 October, 2008 3:26:49 PM Not Giving Thanks About Thanksgiving

My husband's mother and step-father have made it a tradition of sorts to come and visit us for Thanksgiving every year. They live in another state (along with all of my husband's other relatives) and drive out 6 hours to visit us for a day or two. Last year, while still just a vegetarian, I gave in to my husband's request for a turkey for them (which, for those of you who aren't American, is a traditional centerpiece of food for this holiday). My condition was that my husband had to make the turkey because I wasn't touching it --it grossed me out. I enjoyed a Tofurkey myself (my husband complains it tastes like cardboard) and ate the other vegetarian veggies at hand. Nobody tried my Tofurkey and poked fun at it a bit. After they left I felt pretty nauseated about the whole thing and told my husband that I didn't want to cater to their meat-eating again since we ran a vegetarian household. I asked that we not make turkey or other meat again for visitors.This year, I planned to make a vegan smorgasbord for Thanksgiving. The in-laws asked to visit again this year and we accepted but my husband told them we wouldn't be making turkey. Well, this made my mother-in-law turn on the waterworks and she actually cried, telling my husband that she absolutely had to have protein and that they needed the turkey--how could they *not* have turkey? My husband, acting as the middle man, came back to me and asked that I give in about the turkey. I refused and told him that I could guarantee her protein intake with non-meat food. My husband got upset (he's not vegan, only a vegetarian) and said that I was proselytizing to his mother--which I most certainly wasn't. He came back to his mother with my offer but she wouldn't budge. She still demanded her dead fowl for protein. She didn't understand why I couldn't just do it once a year for them. As it stands now, we compromised and are going out to a restaurant so that they can get their meat and I can eat my veggies. I don't believe most turkey-serving places will serve vegan food so I think we're stuck with Indian or Thai restaurants- -both of which have main courses that I can eat. I'm getting a guilt-trip now from my husband and I'm sure I'll have to endure the silent suffering of the in-laws when they visit. I would love to give them a vegan nutrition book and highlight the "People Can Get Protein From Sources Other Than Meat" sections. My husband thinks it would be insulting and told me it would anger them. We're thinking about moving closer to his family soon in the other state and it's caused some tense conversations here. My husband is worried now about the possibility of being invited to family meals that I won't eat--or that no one will invite us over because I'm being "difficult" about the food. What's the proper etiquette for these family meals without being rude or rocking the boat? What has everyone else done to prevent major battles around holidays?

i thought christianity abolished animal sacrifice....here's some info for mom about too protein leeching the calcuim from her bones causing osterporosis:http://www.drmirkin.com/joints/8847.html

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/mar03/osteo0303.htmsure, meat eaters need that extra calcium (hello " happy cows " in the dairy industry) because...they eat too much protein.

of course, the weston price folks say this is a " myth " in their convoluted minds:http://www.westonaprice.org/mythstruths/mtbones.html

they will do/say anything to justify heavy meat/dairy diets. part of their reasoning is that eating bones is good for bones, eating liver is good for the liver, etc. amazing. i suppose eating brains is good for the brain? yep, they believe that too, and recommend secretly chopping up brains to put in your family's food. lordy.

blake On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 1:17 PM, jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork wrote:

Jo

-

nina92116

-

whitty__

I'm getting a guilt-trip now from my husband and I'm sure I'll have to endure the silent suffering of the in-laws when they visit. I would love to give them a vegan nutrition book and highlight the " People Can Get Protein From Sources Other Than Meat " sections. My husband thinks it would be insulting and told me it would anger them.

so, if eating something is supposed to be better for said organ...does that mean if you eat the brains of some poor cow, you'll think like a cow?

Blake Wilson Oct 27, 2008 1:04 PM Re: Not Giving Thanks About Thanksgiving

i thought christianity abolished animal sacrifice....here's some info for mom about too protein leeching the calcuim from her bones causing osterporosis:http://www.drmirkin.com/joints/8847.htmlhttp://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/mar03/osteo0303.htmsure, meat eaters need that extra calcium (hello "happy cows" in the dairy industry) because...they eat too much protein. of course, the weston price folks say this is a "myth" in their convoluted minds:http://www.westonaprice.org/mythstruths/mtbones.htmlthey will do/say anything to justify heavy meat/dairy diets. part of their reasoning is that eating bones is good for bones, eating liver is good for the liver, etc. amazing. i suppose eating brains is good for the brain? yep, they believe that too, and recommend secretly chopping up brains to put in your family's food. lordy. blake

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 1:17 PM, jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork > wrote:

Jo

-

nina92116 (AT) sbcglobal (DOT) net

-

whitty__

For in a Republic, who is “the country� Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn’t. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Mark Twain

I think that is the idea, generally, that the brains of other animals contain nutrients that somehow increase brain power and development in human beings. Here's the nutritional data on beef brains:http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/beef-products/3463/2

A serving of brains here is 391 grams....that's about 14 ounces. It's loaded with fat, cholesterol, and protein, so according to WAPF it's the perfect food! Funny: cow brain contains trans fat! Also note that the serving size " excludes refuse " . Like what, the pituitary gland? Mad cow, anyone? Very high in vitamin C and iron, though....

That being said, I don't see " smarts " as an ingredient in cow brains, so I'm unsure how eating them makes you smarter. WAPF's beliefs that eating liver helps your liver, eating testicles makes you virile, eating rabbit makes you timid, etc, is derived from folk beliefs that might be called " the doctrine of similarities " :

Organ meats have begun to enjoy a renaissance of sorts. With the ideas

of the Weston Price society and other native nutrition advocates

gaining awareness, people are embracing the foods long forgotten. Until

recently most people's experiences with organ meat were probably

limited to their grandparents' eating habits or foie gras at a

restaurant.What are the health benefits of organ meat? Organ

meats are high in iron. Organ meats contain essential fatty acids.

Kidneys are a good source of Vitamin B-12. Liver is a good source of

Vitamin A and folate. The amounts vary from animal to animal but

generally your best bet is to stick with poultry, especially the

grass-fed varietals. They receive more vital nutrients from their diet

than their caged, grain-fed compatriots. But there are

negatives to eating organ meat. The reality is that kidneys, livers,

etc are organs of elimination and cleansing. If they are of poor

quality or not properly cleaned you could be ingesting toxins that

would not be present in normal cuts of meat. There is also the danger

of uric acid build up leading to gout. My grandfather, who loved his

organ meat, had gout and his flare ups took him from a robust man to an

invalid overnight.Funny how this writer just kind of throws that last part in there at the end....http://integrativehealthmassage.blogspot.com/2008/07/organ-meat-food-or-foe.html

Blake On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 2:16 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

so, if eating something is supposed to be better for said organ...does that mean if you eat the brains of some poor cow, you'll think like a cow?

Blake Wilson Oct 27, 2008 1:04 PM

i thought christianity abolished animal sacrifice....here's some info for mom about too protein leeching the calcuim from her bones causing osterporosis:http://www.drmirkin.com/joints/8847.html

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/mar03/osteo0303.htmsure, meat eaters need that extra calcium (hello " happy cows " in the dairy industry) because...they eat too much protein.

of course, the weston price folks say this is a " myth " in their convoluted minds:http://www.westonaprice.org/mythstruths/mtbones.html

they will do/say anything to justify heavy meat/dairy diets. part of their reasoning is that eating bones is good for bones, eating liver is good for the liver, etc. amazing. i suppose eating brains is good for the brain? yep, they believe that too, and recommend secretly chopping up brains to put in your family's food. lordy.

blake

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 1:17 PM, jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork wrote:

Jo

-

nina92116

-

whitty__

I'm getting a guilt-trip now from my husband and I'm sure I'll have to endure the silent suffering of the in-laws when they visit. I would love to give them a vegan nutrition book

and highlight the " People Can Get Protein From Sources Other Than Meat " sections. My husband thinks it would be insulting and told me it would anger them.

For in a Republic, who is "the country"? Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Mark Twain