IndiaDivine.org

New Vegan .... some advice on replacing things

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi - I'm new to this group and to Vegan living (it's been about a

month now) I love being Vegan. It was the easiest thing I ever did and

I feel so much better on the inside and outside ... I feel more at peace.

There are still a lot of things I need to address in my life regarding

the products I use. When I buy new items I am looking at the labels

and replacing items with animal friendly products.

I have a closet full of items that have leather and wool. I am unsure

how to approach this. I can't afford to replace everything at once.

And I am afraid if I take everything and give it away - hubby will be

upset. (example; he bought a very expensive leather jacket for me last

xmas. I never wore it and now I won't ever wear it)

I was thinking I would just not wear the clothes and gradually donate

them. This would give hubby time to adjust to my new attitude. I want

him to accept this change and not feel threatened or offended.

Many of my shoes have leather too. I think I will put the ones that

are non essential in the goodwill box and the ones I just can't afford

to replace right now I will wear for now. This all is going to take

some time.

Is this how things are usually done?

Does anyone have some tips on the transition?

thanks!

Nina

Things which are easy and/or cheap to replace, I replace. Things which aren't I continue to use until they wear out and can be replaced.

None of my winter coats are vegan, and more than half of my coats contain leather. I definitely don't have the money to replace them, and the money's already been spent. A few of them were obtained from second-hand shops.

I figure from here on end, nothing non-vegan if I can help it. I take meds which aren't, and those are really my exceptions. I make an impact wherever I can, and shop for beauty products at Lush, Aveda, and Sephora where they sell Urban Decay cosmetics.

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 9:08 AM, pixelpoint <pixelpest wrote:

Hi - I'm new to this group and to Vegan living (it's been about amonth now) I love being Vegan. It was the easiest thing I ever did and

I feel so much better on the inside and outside ... I feel more at peace.There are still a lot of things I need to address in my life regardingthe products I use. When I buy new items I am looking at the labels

and replacing items with animal friendly products.I have a closet full of items that have leather and wool. I am unsurehow to approach this. I can't afford to replace everything at once.And I am afraid if I take everything and give it away - hubby will be

upset. (example; he bought a very expensive leather jacket for me lastxmas. I never wore it and now I won't ever wear it)I was thinking I would just not wear the clothes and gradually donatethem. This would give hubby time to adjust to my new attitude. I want

him to accept this change and not feel threatened or offended.Many of my shoes have leather too. I think I will put the ones thatare non essential in the goodwill box and the ones I just can't affordto replace right now I will wear for now. This all is going to take

some time.Is this how things are usually done?Does anyone have some tips on the transition?thanks!Nina---To send an email to -! Groups Links

<*> /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email:

-digest -fullfeatured <*>

hello and welcome nina

well, the basic answer, how do you feel about it? many folks who go vegan keep their non-veggie goods and use them until theywear out or the like.

when you can give them to a homeless shelter or the like, and replace them gradually.

again, a lot depends on how you feel, what your budget can stand, and how you will react to still using animal products.

go slow, take your time, and learn as ya go

cheers

fraggle

pixelpoint Oct 29, 2008 6:08 AM New Vegan .... some advice on replacing things

Hi - I'm new to this group and to Vegan living (it's been about amonth now) I love being Vegan. It was the easiest thing I ever did andI feel so much better on the inside and outside ... I feel more at peace. There are still a lot of things I need to address in my life regardingthe products I use. When I buy new items I am looking at the labelsand replacing items with animal friendly products.I have a closet full of items that have leather and wool. I am unsurehow to approach this. I can't afford to replace everything at once.And I am afraid if I take everything and give it away - hubby will beupset. (example; he bought a very expensive leather jacket for me lastxmas. I never wore it and now I won't ever wear it)I was thinking I would just not wear the clothes and gradually donatethem. This would give hubby time to adjust to my new attitude. I wanthim to accept this change and not feel threatened or offended.Many of my shoes have leather too. I think I will put the ones thatare non essential in the goodwill box and the ones I just can't affordto replace right now I will wear for now. This all is going to takesome time.Is this how things are usually done?Does anyone have some tips on the transition?thanks!Nina

For in a Republic, who is “the country� Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn’t. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Mark Twain

Hi Nina,

Everyone has their own opinion on this. Personally, now that you are a vegan, then you wont be buying any more non vegan items, and so not contributing to animal suffering. You have two options: 1. donate to the needy/charity etc, or wear them until they either wear out, or you can afford to replace them. To just trash them would be such a sad waste.

Peter vv

pixelpoint <pixelpest Sent: Wednesday, 29 October, 2008 1:08:30 PM New Vegan .... some advice on replacing things

Hi - I'm new to this group and to Vegan living (it's been about amonth now) I love being Vegan. It was the easiest thing I ever did andI feel so much better on the inside and outside ... I feel more at peace. There are still a lot of things I need to address in my life regardingthe products I use. When I buy new items I am looking at the labelsand replacing items with animal friendly products.I have a closet full of items that have leather and wool. I am unsurehow to approach this. I can't afford to replace everything at once.And I am afraid if I take everything and give it away - hubby will beupset. (example; he bought a very expensive leather jacket for me lastxmas. I never wore it and now I won't ever wear it)I was thinking I would just not wear the clothes and gradually donatethem. This would give hubby time to adjust to my new attitude. I wanthim to accept this change and not feel

threatened or offended.Many of my shoes have leather too. I think I will put the ones thatare non essential in the goodwill box and the ones I just can't affordto replace right now I will wear for now. This all is going to takesome time.Is this how things are usually done?Does anyone have some tips on the transition?thanks!Nina

i still have my old leather jacket. i don't wear it, but i still have it. it was a handme down when it was given to me, egads, about 25 -30 years ago..

wish i could find a good non-leather replacement that is strong, vaguely weather-proof, doesn't fall apart when you look at it, and doesn't make my wallet cry.

sad also that my vegan boots never last as long as my old docs did.

Blue Rose Oct 29, 2008 8:47 AM Re: New Vegan .... some advice on replacing things

Things which are easy and/or cheap to replace, I replace. Things which aren't I continue to use until they wear out and can be replaced.

None of my winter coats are vegan, and more than half of my coats contain leather. I definitely don't have the money to replace them, and the money's already been spent. A few of them were obtained from second-hand shops.

I figure from here on end, nothing non-vegan if I can help it. I take meds which aren't, and those are really my exceptions. I make an impact wherever I can, and shop for beauty products at Lush, Aveda, and Sephora where they sell Urban Decay cosmetics.

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 9:08 AM, pixelpoint <pixelpest > wrote:

Hi - I'm new to this group and to Vegan living (it's been about amonth now) I love being Vegan. It was the easiest thing I ever did andI feel so much better on the inside and outside ... I feel more at peace.There are still a lot of things I need to address in my life regardingthe products I use. When I buy new items I am looking at the labelsand replacing items with animal friendly products.I have a closet full of items that have leather and wool. I am unsurehow to approach this. I can't afford to replace everything at once.And I am afraid if I take everything and give it away - hubby will beupset. (example; he bought a very expensive leather jacket for me lastxmas. I never wore it and now I won't ever wear it)I was thinking I would just not wear the clothes and gradually donatethem. This would give hubby time to adjust to my new attitude. I wanthim to accept this change and not feel threatened or offended.Many of my shoes have leather too. I think I will put the ones thatare non essential in the goodwill box and the ones I just can't affordto replace right now I will wear for now. This all is going to takesome time.Is this how things are usually done?Does anyone have some tips on the transition?thanks!Nina---To send an email to -

I still have an old suede jacket that cost my wife loads , gathering dust, hasnt seen the light of day for many years. But she struggled to afford that, so I feel guilty as hell, and still hang on to it.

I know what you mean about vegan boots , they are rubbish at taking abuse - extreme weather....and the jackets are no better, the fake ;leather ones scratch easy........

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Wednesday, 29 October, 2008 3:57:30 PMRe: New Vegan .... some advice on replacing things

i still have my old leather jacket. i don't wear it, but i still have it. it was a handme down when it was given to me, egads, about 25 -30 years ago..

wish i could find a good non-leather replacement that is strong, vaguely weather-proof, doesn't fall apart when you look at it, and doesn't make my wallet cry.

Blue Rose Oct 29, 2008 8:47 AM @gro ups.com Re: New Vegan .... some advice on replacing things

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 9:08 AM, pixelpoint <pixelpest (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:

Hi - I'm new to this group and to Vegan living (it's been about amonth now) I love being Vegan. It was the easiest thing I ever did andI feel so much better on the inside and outside ... I feel more at peace.There are still a lot of things I need to address in my life regardingthe products I use. When I buy new items I am looking at the labelsand replacing items with animal friendly products.I have a closet full of items that have leather and wool. I am unsurehow to approach this. I can't afford to replace everything at once.And I am afraid if I take everything and give it away - hubby will beupset. (example; he bought a very expensive leather jacket for me lastxmas. I never wore it and now I won't ever wear it)I was thinking I would just not wear the clothes and gradually donatethem. This would give hubby time to adjust to my new

attitude. I wanthim to accept this change and not feel threatened or offended.Many of my shoes have leather too. I think I will put the ones thatare non essential in the goodwill box and the ones I just can't affordto replace right now I will wear for now. This all is going to takesome time.Is this how things are usually done?Does anyone have some tips on the transition?thanks!Nina------------ --------- --------- ------To send an email to -unsubscr ibe

Interestingly my best pair of winter boots are vegan! Just worked out that way. :D

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 11:57 AM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

Blue Rose Oct 29, 2008 8:47 AM

Re: New Vegan .... some advice on replacing things

Hi - I'm new to this group and to Vegan living (it's been about amonth now) I love being Vegan. It was the easiest thing I ever did andI feel so much better on the inside and outside ... I feel more at peace.

There are still a lot of things I need to address in my life regardingthe products I use. When I buy new items I am looking at the labelsand replacing items with animal friendly products.I have a closet full of items that have leather and wool. I am unsure

how to approach this. I can't afford to replace everything at once.And I am afraid if I take everything and give it away - hubby will beupset. (example; he bought a very expensive leather jacket for me last

xmas. I never wore it and now I won't ever wear it)I was thinking I would just not wear the clothes and gradually donatethem. This would give hubby time to adjust to my new attitude. I wanthim to accept this change and not feel threatened or offended.

Many of my shoes have leather too. I think I will put the ones thatare non essential in the goodwill box and the ones I just can't affordto replace right now I will wear for now. This all is going to take

some time.Is this how things are usually done?Does anyone have some tips on the transition?thanks!Nina---

To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> /

<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)

<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured

<*>

lucky!

what brand are they/where did you get them?

until 2 1/2 yrs ago, i held onto my original docs, which were given to me back in the early 80's. i prolly stopped wearing them in the early 90's, but still had em

vegan boots seem to last me now two years

bleh

Blue Rose Oct 29, 2008 9:03 AM Re: New Vegan .... some advice on replacing things

Interestingly my best pair of winter boots are vegan! Just worked out that way. :D

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 11:57 AM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

Hi - I'm new to this group and to Vegan living (it's been about amonth now) I love being Vegan. It was the easiest thing I ever did andI feel so much better on the inside and outside ... I feel more at peace.There are still a lot of things I need to address in my life regardingthe products I use. When I buy new items I am looking at the labelsand replacing items with animal friendly products.I have a closet full of items that have leather and wool. I am unsurehow to approach this. I can't afford to replace everything at once.And I am afraid if I take everything and give it away - hubby will beupset. (example; he bought a very expensive leather jacket for me lastxmas. I never wore it and now I won't ever wear it)I was thinking I would just not wear the clothes and gradually donatethem. This would give hubby time to adjust to my new attitude. I wanthim to accept this change and not feel threatened or offended.Many of my shoes have leather too. I think I will put the ones thatare non essential in the goodwill box and the ones I just can't affordto replace right now I will wear for now. This all is going to takesome time.Is this how things are usually done?Does anyone have some tips on the transition?thanks!Nina---

To send an email to -

Yellow Box. You can find them on ebay. All manmade material, and my first pair lasted me about 5-6 years through heavy snow and horrible New England weather. They're also very waterproof.

They look pretty cool--like goth combat boots. They lace up the front and zip down the sides. So they're stylish too!

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 12:06 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

lucky!

until 2 1/2 yrs ago, i held onto my original docs, which were given to me back in the early 80's. i prolly stopped wearing them in the early 90's, but still had em

bleh

Blue Rose

Oct 29, 2008 9:03 AM Re: New Vegan .... some advice on replacing things

Hi - I'm new to this group and to Vegan living (it's been about amonth now) I love being Vegan. It was the easiest thing I ever did andI feel so much better on the inside and outside ... I feel more at peace.

There are still a lot of things I need to address in my life regardingthe products I use. When I buy new items I am looking at the labelsand replacing items with animal friendly products.I have a closet full of items that have leather and wool. I am unsure

how to approach this. I can't afford to replace everything at once.And I am afraid if I take everything and give it away - hubby will beupset. (example; he bought a very expensive leather jacket for me last

xmas. I never wore it and now I won't ever wear it)I was thinking I would just not wear the clothes and gradually donatethem. This would give hubby time to adjust to my new attitude. I wanthim to accept this change and not feel threatened or offended.

Many of my shoes have leather too. I think I will put the ones thatare non essential in the goodwill box and the ones I just can't affordto replace right now I will wear for now. This all is going to take

some time.Is this how things are usually done?Does anyone have some tips on the transition?thanks!Nina---

<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email:

-digest -fullfeatured

<*>

hmmm..interestin

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yellow-Box-Wedge-Heel-Combat-Faux-Leather-Boot-9-5_W0QQitemZ170094741030QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

i got my first pair of veggie docs about 1990...they lasted about a year..quickly replaced by some sort of blue boot that i got at some store....they were horrible..turned my socks and feet blue, and i pulled more of the heel off within a year..

ugh

my vegetarian shoes boots are almost two years old now, and ready for a new pair ,alas...sole is coming out, can see where the steel toe is eventually going to tear thru.

Blue Rose Oct 29, 2008 9:08 AM Re: New Vegan .... some advice on replacing things

Yellow Box. You can find them on ebay. All manmade material, and my first pair lasted me about 5-6 years through heavy snow and horrible New England weather. They're also very waterproof.

They look pretty cool--like goth combat boots. They lace up the front and zip down the sides. So they're stylish too!

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 12:06 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

lucky!

bleh

Blue Rose

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 11:57 AM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

Hi - I'm new to this group and to Vegan living (it's been about amonth now) I love being Vegan. It was the easiest thing I ever did andI feel so much better on the inside and outside ... I feel more at peace.There are still a lot of things I need to address in my life regardingthe products I use. When I buy new items I am looking at the labelsand replacing items with animal friendly products.I have a closet full of items that have leather and wool. I am unsurehow to approach this. I can't afford to replace everything at once.And I am afraid if I take everything and give it away - hubby will beupset. (example; he bought a very expensive leather jacket for me lastxmas. I never wore it and now I won't ever wear it)I was thinking I would just not wear the clothes and gradually donatethem. This would give hubby time to adjust to my new attitude. I wanthim to accept this change and not feel threatened or offended.Many of my shoes have leather too. I think I will put the ones thatare non essential in the goodwill box and the ones I just can't affordto replace right now I will wear for now. This all is going to takesome time.Is this how things are usually done?Does anyone have some tips on the transition?thanks!Nina---

To send an email to -

Yup, those are them! :D

They are VERY durable and I love them.

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 12:37 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

hmmm..interestin

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yellow-Box-Wedge-Heel-Combat-Faux-Leather-Boot-9-5_W0QQitemZ170094741030QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

i got my first pair of veggie docs about 1990...they lasted about a year..quickly replaced by some sort of blue boot that i got at some store....they were horrible..turned my socks and feet blue, and i pulled more of the heel off within a year..

ugh

my vegetarian shoes boots are almost two years old now, and ready for a new pair ,alas...sole is coming out, can see where the steel toe is eventually going to tear thru.

Blue Rose

Oct 29, 2008 9:08 AM Re: New Vegan .... some advice on replacing things

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 12:06 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

lucky!

bleh

Blue Rose

-digest -fullfeatured

<*>

At 1:08 PM +0000 10/29/08, pixelpoint wrote:

>And I am afraid if I take everything and give it away - hubby will be

>upset. (example; he bought a very expensive leather jacket for me last

>xmas. I never wore it and now I won't ever wear it)

>

Maybe you can donate to a charity that hubby supports and that has

fundraising auctions? (Or, as others have said, hold onto it...)

I still have a collection of thrift-shop and rummage-sale cashmere

that I once thought I could make into a blanket or something. I even

wear a couple sweaters when it gets really cold. (Oops, do I have to

give back my vegan card?)

Hi

Welcome to Vegan Chat.

My opinion is that it would be extremely silly (for your own personal

finances, and for the environment) to throw away any items that are

not worn out.

It is best to use them until they are worn out, and then replace them.

Jo

, " pixelpoint " <pixelpest wrote:

>

> Hi - I'm new to this group and to Vegan living (it's been about a

> month now) I love being Vegan. It was the easiest thing I ever did

and

> I feel so much better on the inside and outside ... I feel more at

peace.

>

> There are still a lot of things I need to address in my life

regarding

> the products I use. When I buy new items I am looking at the labels

> and replacing items with animal friendly products.

>

> I have a closet full of items that have leather and wool. I am

unsure

> how to approach this. I can't afford to replace everything at once.

> And I am afraid if I take everything and give it away - hubby will

be

> upset. (example; he bought a very expensive leather jacket for me

last

> xmas. I never wore it and now I won't ever wear it)

>

> I was thinking I would just not wear the clothes and gradually

donate

> them. This would give hubby time to adjust to my new attitude. I

want

> him to accept this change and not feel threatened or offended.

>

> Many of my shoes have leather too. I think I will put the ones that

> are non essential in the goodwill box and the ones I just can't

afford

> to replace right now I will wear for now. This all is going to take

> some time.

>

> Is this how things are usually done?

> Does anyone have some tips on the transition?

> thanks!

> Nina

>

yes, please afix a stamp to your card and drop it in the nearest mailbox

and please unlearn the vegan handshake.

thank you

:)

yarrow Oct 29, 2008 2:55 PM Re: New Vegan .... some advice on replacing things

At 1:08 PM +0000 10/29/08, pixelpoint wrote:>And I am afraid if I take everything and give it away - hubby will be>upset. (example; he bought a very expensive leather jacket for me last>xmas. I never wore it and now I won't ever wear it)>Maybe you can donate to a charity that hubby supports and that has fundraising auctions? (Or, as others have said, hold onto it...)I still have a collection of thrift-shop and rummage-sale cashmere that I once thought I could make into a blanket or something. I even wear a couple sweaters when it gets really cold. (Oops, do I have to give back my vegan card?)

For in a Republic, who is “the country� Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn’t. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Mark Twain

you won't find out until you reach the 13th level, i'm sorry

i was joking

natenjade Oct 31, 2008 9:27 AM Re: New Vegan .... some advice on replacing things

What is the Vegan handshake?

Mark Twain