IndiaDivine.org

10 of Britain's best vegetarian restaurants

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The Vegetarian Society has picked its award winners for 2008

The Red Lion, Suffolk (01473 657799; www.theveggieredlion.co.uk)

Winner of our Best Pub Award, The Red Lion in Great Bricett is East Anglia's first and only exclusively vegetarian pub. Our mystery diners gave top marks across the board for presentation, taste, texture, service – well pretty much everything! A mix of traditional meals such as Stilton, vegetable and chestnut cobbler, and international dishes such as African sweet potato stew, ensure that there’s something for every taste at the Red Lion.

Canteen, Cardiff (02920 454999; www.canteenoncliftonstreet.com)

Canteen gained some mixed reviews, but our diners enjoyed their food more with every course, with a slightly disappointing starter of mushroom ravioli, eclipsed by a tasty and original caramel cheesecake. Mains include vegetable goulasch with wild rice and beetroot in salsa verde, and braised tofu with vegetable green curry and fragrant rice. Happy and knowledgeable staff add to the Canteen experience.

Demuths, Bath (01225 446059; www.demuths.co.uk)

A regular feature on almost every award shortlist, Demuths did not disappoint with an eclectic range of beautifully presented and expertly cooked dishes. Our diners raved about the smoky squash scrunchies, Middle eastern mezze and Pistachio baklava. Other offerings include the shitake tofu cabbage roll and root vegetable gratin. Demuths can be on the expensive side, but you get what you pay for – great quality food and service.

Relish, Hebden Bridge (01422 843587; www.relishhebden.co.uk)

Hebden Bridge has the dubious distinction of being the second most alternative capital in the UK (behind Totnes), so the West Yorkshire town is a perfect setting for newly established Relish. Original food combinations such as tofu and squash skewer with satay sauce and savoury fruit and rice salad, set this apart from other veggie or organic cafes. Friendly and attentive staff make the atmosphere pleasant, but if you want to feel really merry, remember to bring your own wine, as the restaurant isn’t licensed yet.

The George, Brighton (01273 681055)

With a varied menu featuring numerous vegan options, The George scored above average for its main courses such as the oyster mushroom burger and enchiladas. Rather plain starters with undressed salad left our diners disappointed, but overall, they’d gladly recommend it to veggie visitors as a good value ‘fill-up’ in Brighton. Check out the recently introduced daily menu, which features the day's specials as well as perennial favourites like the Elvis burger, made from veggie bacon, banana, and peanut butter, or the Bangers and Mash, drizzled in the George’s special red-wine onion gravy.

The 78, Glasgow (0141 5765018)

A vegan bar-cafe in Glasgow may seem like a tall order, but the popular 78 certainly delivered for our diners, with great service, atmosphere and a good range of dishes. Described by the manager as "a bar that likes quality food", all offerings here are vegan-vegetarian, such as the baked haggis with baby potatoes and a mustard cream sauce, the sweet potato and cabbage soup, or the homemade falafel platter with sides that are updated daily. For dessert, taste the dark chocolate tort on a nutty biscuit base with cream and berries, or the crispy banana parcel with rum sauce and vanilla ice cream.

InSpiral Lounge, London (020 74285875; www.inspiralled.net)

The InSpiral Lounge calls itself London’s first organic vegetarian fast-food outlet. Munch on a nutrient-rich salad of seaweed, carrot, and Goji Berries with raw sesame hummus while listening to live music on Friday and Saturday nights. The lounge also offers full hot food and raw vegan buffets. For those on a budget, the curry and rice Camden Special costs less than two quid. Other popular mains include Thai massaman curry, as well as roast fennel and wild mushroom lasagne.

The Bean Inn, Cornwall (01736 795918; www.coastcornwall.co.uk/beaninn.html)

The Bean Inn in Cornwall thrives on the principles of taste, health and value. Ingredients are mostly local and organic, and you can feed the kids for half-price with their half-portion policy. Standout starters include the puy lentil, Stilton and walnut salad with a balsamic roasted beetroot dressing, as well as the mouth-watering fattoush. Mains include the Moroccan spiced vegetable casserole, pasta tortiglioni or Blue Cheese, white grape and red onion tart served with salad and potatoes.

Do you agree/disagree with the judges' choices? Let us know about your favourite vegetarian restaurant in the comment box below

The wholefood cafe in Machynlleth Powys provides a great range of organic veggie/vegan food and friendly service.

Sian, Machynlleth, Wales

Interested to see that The George beat Terre a Terre in Brighton to the list... The food at the George hasn't been the same since the kicthen staff changed earlier this year, but saying that, service at Terre a Terre, which can cost up to £40 per head, is appalling.

Becky, Brighton,

Peter vv._,___

and who here has been to any of these restaurants?

we went to Demuths in bath last year. rebecca liked it, tho we both found it a tad odd.

fraggle

Peter VV Oct 29, 2008 8:39 AM Re: 10 of Britain's best vegetarian restaurants

For in a Republic, who is “the country� Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn’t. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Mark Twain

Yeah me too, felt very uneasy there, and so did my wallet...........

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Wednesday, 29 October, 2008 3:53:40 PMRe: 10 of Britain's best vegetarian restaurants

we went to Demuths in bath last year. rebecca liked it, tho we both found it a tad odd.

fraggle

Peter VV Oct 29, 2008 8:39 AM @gro ups.com Re: 10 of Britain's best vegetarian restaurants

to not show photographer information --> to not show image description -->

Demuths vegetarian restaurantto not show enlarge option -->

-->

Image :1 of 3

Joint winner: Dandelion & Burdock, Sowerby Bridge (01422 316000; www.dandelionandbur dock.uk.com)

It’s certainly not grim up north for vegetarians with Dandelion & Burdock flying the flag for veggie cooking in the heart of West Yorkshire. D & B is completely vegan, but the food is promoted in such a subtle way that you may not notice the absence of dairy, let alone meat. A beautiful setting by the Manchester-Rochdale canal, perfectly balanced dishes, (including herb pate and walnut bread, pea and wild mushroom risotto and dairy-free cheesecake), and a visionary approach to marketing make this joint winner of the Vegetarian Society Awards stand out.

Joint winner: The Waiting Room, Stockton on Tees (01642 780465; www.the-waiting- room.co.uk)

You won’t miss a traditional pie and pea supper at The Waiting Room. Autumn's menu boasts aubergine cannelloni, pumpkin, pea and parmesan risotto, with butternut squash and Yorkshire Blue cheesecake for dessert. A relaxed atmosphere and ‘unbelievably delicious’ food made The Waiting Room a worthy joint winner. This popular veggie restaurant was packed on a Wednesday night, so make sure you book early, or you will be kept waiting.

The Red Lion, Suffolk (01473 657799; www.theveggieredlio n.co.uk)

Winner of our Best Pub Award, The Red Lion in Great Bricett is East Anglia's first and only exclusively vegetarian pub. Our mystery diners gave top marks across the board for presentation, taste, texture, service – well pretty much everything! A mix of traditional meals such as Stilton, vegetable and chestnut cobbler, and international dishes such as African sweet potato stew, ensure that there’s something for every taste at the Red Lion.

Canteen, Cardiff (02920 454999; www.canteenonclifto nstreet.com)

Canteen gained some mixed reviews, but our diners enjoyed their food more with every course, with a slightly disappointing starter of mushroom ravioli, eclipsed by a tasty and original caramel cheesecake. Mains include vegetable goulasch with wild rice and beetroot in salsa verde, and braised tofu with vegetable green curry and fragrant rice. Happy and knowledgeable staff add to the Canteen experience.

Demuths, Bath (01225 446059; www.demuths. co.uk)

A regular feature on almost every award shortlist, Demuths did not disappoint with an eclectic range of beautifully presented and expertly cooked dishes. Our diners raved about the smoky squash scrunchies, Middle eastern mezze and Pistachio baklava. Other offerings include the shitake tofu cabbage roll and root vegetable gratin. Demuths can be on the expensive side, but you get what you pay for – great quality food and service.

Relish, Hebden Bridge (01422 843587; www.relishhebden. co.uk)

Hebden Bridge has the dubious distinction of being the second most alternative capital in the UK (behind Totnes), so the West Yorkshire town is a perfect setting for newly established Relish. Original food combinations such as tofu and squash skewer with satay sauce and savoury fruit and rice salad, set this apart from other veggie or organic cafes. Friendly and attentive staff make the atmosphere pleasant, but if you want to feel really merry, remember to bring your own wine, as the restaurant isn’t licensed yet.

The George, Brighton (01273 681055)

With a varied menu featuring numerous vegan options, The George scored above average for its main courses such as the oyster mushroom burger and enchiladas. Rather plain starters with undressed salad left our diners disappointed, but overall, they’d gladly recommend it to veggie visitors as a good value ‘fill-up’ in Brighton. Check out the recently introduced daily menu, which features the day's specials as well as perennial favourites like the Elvis burger, made from veggie bacon, banana, and peanut butter, or the Bangers and Mash, drizzled in the George’s special red-wine onion gravy.

The 78, Glasgow (0141 5765018)

A vegan bar-cafe in Glasgow may seem like a tall order, but the popular 78 certainly delivered for our diners, with great service, atmosphere and a good range of dishes. Described by the manager as "a bar that likes quality food", all offerings here are vegan-vegetarian, such as the baked haggis with baby potatoes and a mustard cream sauce, the sweet potato and cabbage soup, or the homemade falafel platter with sides that are updated daily. For dessert, taste the dark chocolate tort on a nutty biscuit base with cream and berries, or the crispy banana parcel with rum sauce and vanilla ice cream.

InSpiral Lounge, London (020 74285875; www.inspiralled. net)

The InSpiral Lounge calls itself London’s first organic vegetarian fast-food outlet. Munch on a nutrient-rich salad of seaweed, carrot, and Goji Berries with raw sesame hummus while listening to live music on Friday and Saturday nights. The lounge also offers full hot food and raw vegan buffets. For those on a budget, the curry and rice Camden Special costs less than two quid. Other popular mains include Thai massaman curry, as well as roast fennel and wild mushroom lasagne.

The Bean Inn, Cornwall (01736 795918; www.coastcornwall. co.uk/beaninn. html)

The Bean Inn in Cornwall thrives on the principles of taste, health and value. Ingredients are mostly local and organic, and you can feed the kids for half-price with their half-portion policy. Standout starters include the puy lentil, Stilton and walnut salad with a balsamic roasted beetroot dressing, as well as the mouth-watering fattoush. Mains include the Moroccan spiced vegetable casserole, pasta tortiglioni or Blue Cheese, white grape and red onion tart served with salad and potatoes.

Do you agree/disagree with the judges' choices? Let us know about your favourite vegetarian restaurant in the comment box below

The wholefood cafe in Machynlleth Powys provides a great range of organic veggie/vegan food and friendly service.

Sian, Machynlleth, Wales

Interested to see that The George beat Terre a Terre in Brighton to the list... The food at the George hasn't been the same since the kicthen staff changed earlier this year, but saying that, service at Terre a Terre, which can cost up to £40 per head, is appalling.

Becky, Brighton,

Peter vv._,___

For in a Republic, who is “the country� Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn’t. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them. Mark Twain

Hi Fraggle

The only one I've been to is The George, in Brighton, which is excellent.

Slightly disappointed that Bristol's Cafe Kino didn't get a mention - but I guess it's quite tucked away and not easy to find unless you know of its existence.

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 3:53 PM

Re: 10 of Britain's best vegetarian restaurants

fraggle

For in a Republic, who is “the country� Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn’t. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them. Mark Twain

what do you like about either of them, and whats your fave dish?

Peter Oct 29, 2008 9:46 AM Re: 10 of Britain's best vegetarian restaurants

Hi Fraggle

Slightly disappointed that Bristol's Cafe Kino didn't get a mention - but I guess it's quite tucked away and not easy to find unless you know of its existence.

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

fraggle

For in a Republic, who is “the country� Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn’t. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Mark Twain

Hi Fraggle

Well, it's been a while since I went to Brighton, but last time I went, I had a vegan sausage baguette with chips and salad, which I enjoyed immensley!

Cafe Kino - it's not only all vegan, but all fair trade and local ingredients, is run as a workers co-operative, and hosts lots of underground-type workshops and events. My personal favourite is their leek, mushroom and "bacon" pie, but I've also had falafels, courgette koftas, the "Kino Burger", Thai green curry, various sandwiches, etc. - all of which are fantastic. They also do incredibly good pancakes, and a great chocolate cake! To give you an idea just how much I like them, we had our wedding-day lunch there!

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:19 PM

what do you like about either of them, and whats your fave dish?

Peter Oct 29, 2008 9:46 AM Re: 10 of Britain's best vegetarian restaurants

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

fraggle

Hi Fraggle

I've been to Demuths in Bath(a few times). It is quite good, but in

my opinion, no where near the best around. I guess there are a couple

of vegan options.

I've been to The George in Brighton (several times) and always enjoy

the food. Plenty of vegan options.

I've been to The Bean Inn in Cornwall. The food was very good. It is

fairly posh, and a small place. It was so quiet (volume-wise). I

would have preferred a little music so that you didn't feel that if

you said something everyone would hear. I think all the food was

vegan.

I still prefer the Riverside Vegetaria in Kingston Upon Thames and a

few others.

Jo

we went to Demuths in bath last year. rebecca liked it, tho we both

found it a tad odd.

fraggle

....and a very good wedding lunch it was too :-)

Jo

, " Peter " <metalscarab wrote:

>

> Hi Fraggle

>

> Well, it's been a while since I went to Brighton, but last time I

went, I had a vegan sausage baguette with chips and salad, which I

enjoyed immensley!

>

> Cafe Kino - it's not only all vegan, but all fair trade and local

ingredients, is run as a workers co-operative, and hosts lots of

underground-type workshops and events. My personal favourite is their

leek, mushroom and " bacon " pie, but I've also had falafels, courgette

koftas, the " Kino Burger " , Thai green curry, various sandwiches,

etc. - all of which are fantastic. They also do incredibly good

pancakes, and a great chocolate cake! To give you an idea just how

much I like them, we had our wedding-day lunch there!

>

> BB

> Peter

>

> -

> fraggle

>

> Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:19 PM

> Re: 10 of Britain's best vegetarian

restaurants

>

>

> what do you like about either of them, and whats your fave dish?

>

>

>

>

> Peter

> Oct 29, 2008 9:46 AM

>

restaurants

>

> 

>

> Hi Fraggle

>

> The only one I've been to is The George, in Brighton, which is

excellent.

>

> Slightly disappointed that Bristol's Cafe Kino didn't get a

mention - but I guess it's quite tucked away and not easy to find

unless you know of its existence.

>

> BB

> Peter

>

> -

> fraggle

>

> Wednesday, October 29, 2008 3:53 PM

restaurants

>

>

> and who here has been to any of these restaurants?

>

> we went to Demuths in bath last year. rebecca liked it, tho

we both found it a tad odd.

>

> fraggle

>

>

>

>

>

> Peter VV

> Oct 29, 2008 8:39 AM

>

restaurants

>

>

>

> The Vegetarian Society has picked its award winners for

>

> to not show photographer information --> to not show image

description -->

> Demuths vegetarian restaurant

>

> to not show enlarge option -->

>

> -->

> Image :1 of 3

> Joint winner: Dandelion & Burdock, Sowerby Bridge

> (01422 316000; www.dandelionandburdock.uk.com)

>

> It’s certainly not grim up north for vegetarians with

Dandelion & Burdock flying the flag for veggie cooking in the heart

of West Yorkshire. D & B is completely vegan, but the food is promoted

in such a subtle way that you may not notice the absence of dairy,

let alone meat. A beautiful setting by the Manchester-Rochdale canal,

perfectly balanced dishes, (including herb pate and walnut bread, pea

and wild mushroom risotto and dairy-free cheesecake), and a visionary

approach to marketing make this joint winner of the Vegetarian

Society Awards stand out.

>

> Joint winner: The Waiting Room, Stockton on Tees

> (01642 780465; www.the-waiting-room.co.uk)

>

> You won’t miss a traditional pie and pea supper at The

Waiting Room. Autumn's menu boasts aubergine cannelloni, pumpkin, pea

and parmesan risotto, with butternut squash and Yorkshire Blue

cheesecake for dessert. A relaxed atmosphere and ‘unbelievably

delicious’ food made The Waiting Room a worthy joint winner. This

popular veggie restaurant was packed on a Wednesday night, so make

sure you book early, or you will be kept waiting.

>

> The Red Lion, Suffolk

> (01473 657799; www.theveggieredlion.co.uk)

> Winner of our Best Pub Award, The Red Lion in Great Bricett

is East Anglia's first and only exclusively vegetarian pub. Our

mystery diners gave top marks across the board for presentation,

taste, texture, service †" well pretty much everything! A mix of

traditional meals such as Stilton, vegetable and chestnut cobbler,

and international dishes such as African sweet potato stew, ensure

that there’s something for every taste at the Red Lion.

>

> Canteen, Cardiff

> (02920 454999; www.canteenoncliftonstreet.com)

>

> Canteen gained some mixed reviews, but our diners enjoyed

their food more with every course, with a slightly disappointing

starter of mushroom ravioli, eclipsed by a tasty and original caramel

cheesecake. Mains include vegetable goulasch with wild rice and

beetroot in salsa verde, and braised tofu with vegetable green curry

and fragrant rice. Happy and knowledgeable staff add to the Canteen

experience.

>

> Demuths, Bath

> (01225 446059; www.demuths.co.uk)

>

> A regular feature on almost every award shortlist, Demuths

did not disappoint with an eclectic range of beautifully presented

and expertly cooked dishes. Our diners raved about the smoky squash

scrunchies, Middle eastern mezze and Pistachio baklava. Other

offerings include the shitake tofu cabbage roll and root vegetable

gratin. Demuths can be on the expensive side, but you get what you

pay for †" great quality food and service.

>

> Relish, Hebden Bridge

> (01422 843587; www.relishhebden.co.uk)

>

> Hebden Bridge has the dubious distinction of being the

second most alternative capital in the UK (behind Totnes), so the

West Yorkshire town is a perfect setting for newly established

Relish. Original food combinations such as tofu and squash skewer

with satay sauce and savoury fruit and rice salad, set this apart

from other veggie or organic cafes. Friendly and attentive staff make

the atmosphere pleasant, but if you want to feel really merry,

remember to bring your own wine, as the restaurant isn’t licensed

yet.

>

> The George, Brighton

> (01273 681055)

>

> With a varied menu featuring numerous vegan options, The

George scored above average for its main courses such as the oyster

mushroom burger and enchiladas. Rather plain starters with undressed

salad left our diners disappointed, but overall, they’d gladly

recommend it to veggie visitors as a good value ‘fill-up’ in

Brighton. Check out the recently introduced daily menu, which

features the day's specials as well as perennial favourites like the

Elvis burger, made from veggie bacon, banana, and peanut butter, or

the Bangers and Mash, drizzled in the George’s special red-wine

onion gravy.

>

> The 78, Glasgow

> (0141 5765018)

>

> A vegan bar-cafe in Glasgow may seem like a tall order, but

the popular 78 certainly delivered for our diners, with great

service, atmosphere and a good range of dishes. Described by the

manager as " a bar that likes quality food " , all offerings here are

vegan-vegetarian, such as the baked haggis with baby potatoes and a

mustard cream sauce, the sweet potato and cabbage soup, or the

homemade falafel platter with sides that are updated daily. For

dessert, taste the dark chocolate tort on a nutty biscuit base with

cream and berries, or the crispy banana parcel with rum sauce and

vanilla ice cream.

>

> InSpiral Lounge, London

> (020 74285875; www.inspiralled.net)

> The InSpiral Lounge calls itself London’s first organic

vegetarian fast-food outlet. Munch on a nutrient-rich salad of

seaweed, carrot, and Goji Berries with raw sesame hummus while

listening to live music on Friday and Saturday nights. The lounge

also offers full hot food and raw vegan buffets. For those on a

budget, the curry and rice Camden Special costs less than two quid.

Other popular mains include Thai massaman curry, as well as roast

fennel and wild mushroom lasagne.

>

> The Bean Inn, Cornwall

> (01736 795918; www.coastcornwall.co.uk/beaninn.html)

>

> The Bean Inn in Cornwall thrives on the principles of

taste, health and value. Ingredients are mostly local and organic,

and you can feed the kids for half-price with their half-portion

policy. Standout starters include the puy lentil, Stilton and walnut

salad with a balsamic roasted beetroot dressing, as well as the mouth-

watering fattoush. Mains include the Moroccan spiced vegetable

casserole, pasta tortiglioni or Blue Cheese, white grape and red

onion tart served with salad and potatoes.

>

> Do you agree/disagree with the judges' choices? Let us know

about your favourite vegetarian restaurant in the comment box below

>

> The wholefood cafe in Machynlleth Powys provides a great

range of organic veggie/vegan food and friendly service.

> Sian, Machynlleth, Wales

>

> Interested to see that The George beat Terre a Terre in

Brighton to the list... The food at the George hasn't been the same

since the kicthen staff changed earlier this year, but saying that,

service at Terre a Terre, which can cost up to £40 per head, is

appalling.

>

> Becky, Brighton,

>

>

>