Rate this topic

Guest guest

Author says plant-based recipes are easy, and a better way to eat

By Cheryl Rade

For The Register-Guard

Published: Oct 29, 2008 09:25AM

Living: Entree: Photo

Kevin Clark/The Register-Guard

Red Lentil Bolognese is one of the vegan dishes in Beverly Lynn Bennett’s new book, “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Vegan Cooking.â€

Mochaccino-Chip Cookies are a delicious vegan sweet treat.

Kevin Clark/The Register-Guard

Living: Entree: Story

As a child growing up in a small Ohio farming community, Beverly Lynn Bennett was raised on a traditional Midwestern diet that included plenty of meat and potatoes — heavy on the meat. Today, she lives in Eugene and is a noted vegan chef and cookbook author who espouses the benefits of a lifestyle free of all animal products.

The author of “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Vegan Cooking,†Bennett has been a vegan for almost two decades, a feat she shares with her co-author and longtime partner, Ray Sammartano. She notes that the cookbook, which hit the bookstands in August and features more than 200 plant-based recipes, is designed to be both animal friendly and palate pleasing.

A vegan diet, Bennett explains, involves the consumption of only plant-based foods — meaning no meat, fish, dairy products, honey or eggs.

“If it was an animal or came from an animal, we (vegans) don’t eat it,†she says. “Plant-based protein is so much better for you and easier to digest. It has fiber, as well as more vitamins and minerals.â€

Bennett’s interest in cooking began at the age of 12 when she went to work at a local country club.

“That’s where I learned how to really enjoy food,†she says.

Before long, Bennett realized she didn’t need meat to make delicious meals, and quickly began using substitutions.

“I have four sisters and they were my guinea pigs,†she says regarding her cooking experiments. “They were eating veggie burgers literally like 20 years ago ... and tofu pie.â€

After graduating from culinary school at the University of Akron, Bennett became a baker, but rapidly tired of using eggs and other dairy products in the preparation of baked goods. Shortly thereafter, she opened a natural foods restaurant and felt immediately at home.

“I could finally cook just vegetarian food,†she says. “It was fun.â€

Bennett went on to work in health food stores (including Sundance Natural Foods in Eugene) and later, with the prompting of her husband, began a vegan chef Web site in 1999 (veganchef.com).

“Ray said I was a blogger before there were blogs,†she says with a laugh. “That’s when I started getting some recognition.â€

It was in 2004 when Bennett was contacted by the Idiot’s Guide to write a book about vegan cooking. She had authored other works, including a book titled “Vegan Bites — Recipes for Singles†and a column for VegNews magazine called Dairy-Free Desserts, but felt a bit intimidated about taking on such a large writing project.

“I had never done this before,†Bennett says, but adds how excited she was about writing a cookbook focused strictly on vegan diets. “Things are way off the hook with vegan dining. I’m so glad that this has taken off because I know this is the way you should eat.â€

Bennett, who once tipped the scales at almost 200 pounds, claims that a vegan diet helped her shed 75 pounds from her petite frame.

“I know I’m healthier than most of my relatives,†she says. “Vegans actually eat better than people who eat a standard American diet. We eat our veggies every day ... Some say it’s hard to be vegan, but it’s really so easy.â€

Eating vegan can be both tasty and nutritious, Bennett concludes.

“I love it when people eat my food and say, ‘Oh, this is so good.’ I like to make people feel good. That’s what life is all about.â€

A few of Bennett’s favorite recipes from “The Idiot’s Guide to Vegan Cooking†include Red Lentil Bolognese, Teriyaki Tofu Rice Noodles, Mini Spinach-Mushroom Quiches and Mochaccino-Chip Cookies.

Red Lentil Bolognese

1¼ cups onions, diced

1 cup carrot, diced

¾ cup celery, diced

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 tablespoons garlic, minced

1 teaspoon dried basil

¾ teaspoon dried oregano

½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted

2½ cups water or vegetable broth

¼ cup dried red lentils, sorted and rinsed

3 tablespoons tomato paste

1 bay leaf

¼ cup chopped fresh parsley, preferably Italian parsley

2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes

¾ teaspoon sea salt

½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

In a large pot over medium heat, saute onions, carrot, celery and olive oil, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add garlic, basil and oregano, and saute for 1 minute. Add red pepper flakes, crushed tomatoes, water/broth, red lentils, tomato paste and bay leaf, and stir well to combine.

Bring to a boil and cover; reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until red lentils are tender. Add parsley, nutritional yeast, salt and black pepper. Stir well to combine and simmer for 2 more minutes. Remove bay leaf and discard. Taste and adjust seasonings. Remove from heat and serve hot over cooked pasta or polenta as desired.

Yield: 6 cups.

Teriyaki Tofu Rice Noodles

12 ounces brown rice spaghetti

8 ounces tofu

1½ teaspoons toasted sesame oil

¾ cup Teriyaki Stir-Frying and Dipping Sauce (recipe follows)

2 cups spinach, stems removed and finely chopped

1½ cups red cabbage, shredded

1 cup carrot, shredded

1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley

2 tablespoons raw sesame seeds

Fill a large saucepan two-thirds full of water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add spaghetti and cook, stirring occasionally, according to package directions or until just tender. Drain spaghetti in a colander, but do not rinse.

Meanwhile, crumble tofu into a large nonstick skillet using your fingers. Add toasted sesame oil and cook over medium heat, stirring often, for 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly browned. Pour ¼ cup Teriyaki Stir-Frying and Dipping Sauce over tofu and cook for 1 or 2 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat.

Add hot spaghetti to tofu, along with remaining ½ cup Teriyaki Stir-Frying and Dipping Sauce, and stir well to combine. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, for 1 or 2 minutes or until sauce is absorbed. Remove from heat. Add spinach, red cabbage, carrot, cilantro, parsley and sesame seeds and stir well to combine. Serve hot.

Yield: 6 servings

Teriyaki Stir-Frying and Dipping Sauce

1/3 cup tamari

¼ cup brown rice vinegar or mirin

¼ cup turbinado sugar

2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil

1 tablespoon garlic, minced

1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced

½ teaspoon dry mustard

¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)

In a small bowl, place tamari, vinegar, sugar, toasted sesame oil, garlic, ginger, dry mustard and red pepper flakes and whisk well to combine. Use as a dipping sauce for tofu, vegetables or spring rolls; add to stir-fries or toss with pasta or grains, or use as a marinade for baked or grilled pieces of tofu, tempeh, seitan or vegetables. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

Yield: 1 cup.

Mini Spinach-Mushroom Quiches

½ cup red onion, diced

½ cup crimini or button mushrooms, thinly sliced

1 teaspoon olive oil

1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed

1/3 cup sun-dried tomato pieces

1 tablespoon garlic, minced

1 tablespoon tamari or other soy sauce of choice

1 pound firm or extra-firm tofu

½ cup soy milk or other nondairy milk of choice

¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes

1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

½ teaspoon turmeric

½ teaspoon paprika

½ teaspoon sea salt

½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly oil 12 muffin cups and set aside. In a large nonstick skillet, place onion, mushrooms and olive oil and saute over medium heat, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Place thawed spinach in a colander and squeeze spinach with your hands to remove excess moisture. Add spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic and tamari to the skillet and continue to saute for 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat and transfer to a medium bowl.

Crumble tofu into a blender using your fingers. Add soy milk, nutritional yeast flakes, Dijon mustard, turmeric, paprika, salt and black pepper and blend for 1 or 2 minutes or until completely smooth. Scrape down sides of the container with a rubber spatula and blend for 15 seconds longer. Add blended mixture to the bowl and stir well with a spatula to combine.

Fill prepared muffin cups ¾ full. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Let cool slightly before removing quiches from muffin cups. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Yield: 12 quiches.

Mochaccino-Chip Cookies

7 pitted prunes

½ cup hot coffee

11/3 cups Sucanat or unbleached cane sugar

¼ cup soy milk or other nondairy milk of choice

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

½ teaspoon pure almond or coffee extract

12/3 cups whole-wheat pastry flour

1/3 cup cocoa powder

1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon sea salt

1 cup vegan chocolate chips or espresso-flavored vegan chocolate chips

½ cup raw sliced almonds

In a small bowl, cover prunes with hot coffee. Set aside for 15 minutes to rehydrate and soften.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper (or lightly oil). Transfer prune mixture to a blender or food processor and process for 1 or 2 minutes or until completely smooth. Add Sucanat, soy milk, vanilla extract and almond extract and process for 1 minute.

In a large bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir well to combine. Add chocolate chips and almonds and stir until just combined.

Portion cookie dough using a 2-inch scoop or by heaping 2 tablespoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until set, but still soft to the touch. Remove from the oven. Let cool slightly before transferring to a rack to cool completely. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.

Yield: 1½ dozen.

hhhh

Cheryl Rade is a free-lance writer from Eugene.

Peter vv