IndiaDivine.org

Welsh road sign lost in translation

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This made me smile............

Officials in Wales mistakenly erected a road sign that read "I am not in the office at the moment" in Welsh after a translation mix-up. The sign originally said in English, "No entry for heavy goods vehicles. Residential site only," but when Swansea Council officials sent it to be translated, they received an automated e-mail written in Welsh that read: "I am not in the office at the moment. Please send any work to be translated."

Unaware of the actual meaning of the e-mail, officials had the sign printed and put up near a supermarket, only realising their mistake when Welsh speakers pointed it out.

All road signs in Wales are required to be written in English and Welsh.

"Our attention was drawn to the mistranslation of a sign at the junction of Clase Road and Pant-y-Blawd Road," a Swansea Council spokesman said.

"We took it down as soon as we were made aware of it and a correct sign will be installed as soon as possible."

Peter vv

Peter Kebbell <metalscarab Sent: Sunday, 27 July, 2008 10:40:08 PMRe: help please Jo & Peter

Hi PeterBeen to Avebury loads of times... depends on what sort of things you like....It's basically a smallish village in the middle of a very large stone circle. There's unfortunately a road that goes through the middle of the stone circle, so you have to cross over a couple of times to see the whole site. In one part there's a sort of central circle with slightly smaller stones, the outer stones are pretty huge (similar sort of size to Stonehenge, but much less regular in shape). Around the whole site is a ditch & small hill, which you can walk around the top of, and a few nice little treed areas. There's also "the avenue" which is an avenue (surprisingly) of stones which leads away from (or towards, depending on where you start!) the circle.In the village, there's the inevitable tourist gift shop, filled with crystals, sheil-na-gigs, new-agey magazines, postcards, etc. and a pub which I wouldn't recommend

eating in unless you enjoy getting your food served either half cooked, or not served at all! I have no idea what their drinks are like, as I've never been back in there after twice being disappointed by their food. There *is*, however, a wonderful little veggie cafe called "Stones" (I think... although it might be "The Circle" now), which normally has a few vegan options.Oh, and if you're lucky, there are sometimes some sheep inside the circle! :-)BBPeter

2008/7/27 Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com>

I am going to Center Parcs in Wiltshire for a week tomorrow, and am keen ( wife & kidspermitting ) to go to Avebury. Have you ever been? whats it like?

LOL

Not many people in the world speak or understand Welsh.

As far as I am aware there are about 3 million people in Wales and just under 20% talk Welsh. It's not surprising it causes problems.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Sunday, November 02, 2008 8:31 AM

Re: Welsh road sign lost in translation

This made me smile............

Officials in Wales mistakenly erected a road sign that read "I am not in the office at the moment" in Welsh after a translation mix-up. The sign originally said in English, "No entry for heavy goods vehicles. Residential site only," but when Swansea Council officials sent it to be translated, they received an automated e-mail written in Welsh that read: "I am not in the office at the moment. Please send any work to be translated."

Unaware of the actual meaning of the e-mail, officials had the sign printed and put up near a supermarket, only realising their mistake when Welsh speakers pointed it out.

"Our attention was drawn to the mistranslation of a sign at the junction of Clase Road and Pant-y-Blawd Road," a Swansea Council spokesman said.

"We took it down as soon as we were made aware of it and a correct sign will be installed as soon as possible."

Peter vv

Peter Kebbell <metalscarab > Sent: Sunday, 27 July, 2008 10:40:08 PMRe: help please Jo & Peter

Hi PeterBeen to Avebury loads of times... depends on what sort of things you like....It's basically a smallish village in the middle of a very large stone circle. There's unfortunately a road that goes through the middle of the stone circle, so you have to cross over a couple of times to see the whole site. In one part there's a sort of central circle with slightly smaller stones, the outer stones are pretty huge (similar sort of size to Stonehenge, but much less regular in shape). Around the whole site is a ditch & small hill, which you can walk around the top of, and a few nice little treed areas. There's also "the avenue" which is an avenue (surprisingly) of stones which leads away from (or towards, depending on where you start!) the circle.In the village, there's the inevitable tourist gift shop, filled with crystals, sheil-na-gigs, new-agey magazines, postcards, etc. and a pub which I wouldn't recommend eating in unless you enjoy getting your food served either half cooked, or not served at all! I have no idea what their drinks are like, as I've never been back in there after twice being disappointed by their food. There *is*, however, a wonderful little veggie cafe called "Stones" (I think... although it might be "The Circle" now), which normally has a few vegan options.Oh, and if you're lucky, there are sometimes some sheep inside the circle! :-)BBPeter

I am going to Center Parcs in Wiltshire for a week tomorrow, and am keen ( wife & kidspermitting ) to go to Avebury. Have you ever been? whats it like?

That number has grown as more families are sending their kids to Welsh schools, although I cant understand why as most of their friends speak English when they get home, and they dont tend to carry on with it later in life? Each to his own I suppose...

Peter vv

jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork Sent: Sunday, 2 November, 2008 8:45:02 AMRe: Welsh road sign lost in translation

LOL

Not many people in the world speak or understand Welsh.

As far as I am aware there are about 3 million people in Wales and just under 20% talk Welsh. It's not surprising it causes problems.

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Sunday, November 02, 2008 8:31 AM

Re: Welsh road sign lost in translation

This made me smile....... .....

Peter vv

Peter Kebbell <metalscarab@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comSunday, 27 July, 2008 10:40:08 PMRe: help please Jo & Peter

Hi PeterBeen to Avebury loads of times... depends on what sort of things you like....It's basically a smallish village in the middle of a very large stone circle. There's unfortunately a road that goes through the middle of the stone circle, so you have to cross over a couple of times to see the whole site. In one part there's a sort of central circle with slightly smaller stones, the outer stones are pretty huge (similar sort of size to Stonehenge, but much less regular in shape). Around the whole site is a ditch & small hill, which you can walk around the top of, and a few nice little treed areas. There's also "the avenue" which is an avenue (surprisingly) of stones which leads away from (or towards, depending on where you start!) the circle.In the village, there's the inevitable tourist gift shop, filled with crystals, sheil-na-gigs, new-agey magazines, postcards, etc. and a pub which I wouldn't recommend

eating in unless you enjoy getting your food served either half cooked, or not served at all! I have no idea what their drinks are like, as I've never been back in there after twice being disappointed by their food. There *is*, however, a wonderful little veggie cafe called "Stones" (I think... although it might be "The Circle" now), which normally has a few vegan options.Oh, and if you're lucky, there are sometimes some sheep inside the circle! :-)BBPeter