IndiaDivine.org

Ask your father: Can I become a vegetarian?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

From The Times

November 8, 2008

Rosie, 10, wants to know if she can give up meat - what to answer to difficult questions from your offspring

spag bog?

Peter VV Nov 9, 2008 12:38 PM Re: Ask your father: Can I become a vegetarian?

From The Times

November 8, 2008

Rosie, 10, wants to know if she can give up meat - what to answer to difficult questions from your offspring

For in a Republic, who is “the country� Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn’t. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Mark Twain

same to you............:-)

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Sunday, 9 November, 2008 9:16:39 PMRe: Ask your father: Can I become a vegetarian?

spag bog?

Peter VV Nov 9, 2008 12:38 PM @gro ups.com Re: Ask your father: Can I become a vegetarian?

From The Times

November 8, 2008

to not show photographer information --> to not show image description --> to not show enlarge option -->

Emma Cook

As a meat-loving parent, the prospect of Rosie giving up meat isn't going to fill you with joy. Now, as well as roast lunches and spag bog, you've got to be clever with Quorn and lentils, and have the added concern of nutrients and health.

Still, you'd better get used to it because increasing numbers of children are eating a vegetarian diet as they become more aware of where meat comes from and how it has been reared. Some simply don't like the taste, others become squeamish once they work out the link between daddy's crispy bacon sandwich and the cute little piglet in Babe.

First find out why she is asking, is it something she has seen on TV or been discussing at school? “The chances are they are worried that eating meat is cruel and that's something you need to discuss with them,†says Calie Woozley, of the RSPCA. “You could try a meat-free day a week to see how it goes and also to help the child feel that their parents are really listening.†Try not to see Rosie becoming a vegetarian as an inconvenience; a rebellion against the family norm. If you do, Rosie will become more stubborn about it.

And while there is something indefinably reassuring about the ritual of a communal family Sunday roast there are alternatives that can be just as healthy. Glenys Jones, a nutritionist at MRC Human Nutrition Research in Cambridge, says: “There's no problem becoming a vegetarian even from 5 years old. It's fine to cut out meat as long as you replace it with other protein sources. They also need plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables.â€

If you do let Rosie alter her diet, bear in mind that meals can take longer. “Children have a high energy-need and with foods like nuts, seeds and pulses, they need a bigger volume and it does take longer to digest them. Maybe think about four smaller meals a day rather than three,†says Jones.

Finally, take comfort that Rosie's decision indicates that she is of superior intelligence. Two years ago the BMJ published research showing that children with higher IQs became vegetarian. They were also more likely to be female, of a higher social class and better educated. It didn't add that they were young cooks who liked to prepare their own meals. That would be too good to be true.

Have your say

Our two boys have been vegetarian, primarily vegan, since conception. Born very healthy weights of 8lb12 and 8lb9. They're now 7 and 5, are very healthy, energetic, intelligent and compassionate. They have no desire or need to eat animal flesh.

Sharon & Graham, Adelaide, Australia

My son became a vegetarian at the age of 12 (I too became one at the same time). It was his choice after seeing an undercover CH4 programme about the treatment of pigs in an abattoir. He is now a 6ft (it did not impede his growth), law graduate (it did not impede his intelligence) .

kim, london,

Have your say

Peter vv

For in a Republic, who is “the country� Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn’t. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them. Mark Twain

yer a lot of help

would spag bog be spaghetti Bolognese?

or a D & D monster?

Peter VV Nov 9, 2008 1:18 PM Re: Ask your father: Can I become a vegetarian?

same to you............:-)

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Sunday, 9 November, 2008 9:16:39 PMRe: Ask your father: Can I become a vegetarian?

spag bog?

Peter VV Nov 9, 2008 12:38 PM @gro ups.com Re: Ask your father: Can I become a vegetarian?

From The Times

November 8, 2008

to not show photographer information --> to not show image description --> to not show enlarge option -->

Emma Cook

As a meat-loving parent, the prospect of Rosie giving up meat isn't going to fill you with joy. Now, as well as roast lunches and spag bog, you've got to be clever with Quorn and lentils, and have the added concern of nutrients and health.

Still, you'd better get used to it because increasing numbers of children are eating a vegetarian diet as they become more aware of where meat comes from and how it has been reared. Some simply don't like the taste, others become squeamish once they work out the link between daddy's crispy bacon sandwich and the cute little piglet in Babe.

First find out why she is asking, is it something she has seen on TV or been discussing at school? “The chances are they are worried that eating meat is cruel and that's something you need to discuss with them,†says Calie Woozley, of the RSPCA. “You could try a meat-free day a week to see how it goes and also to help the child feel that their parents are really listening.†Try not to see Rosie becoming a vegetarian as an inconvenience; a rebellion against the family norm. If you do, Rosie will become more stubborn about it.

And while there is something indefinably reassuring about the ritual of a communal family Sunday roast there are alternatives that can be just as healthy. Glenys Jones, a nutritionist at MRC Human Nutrition Research in Cambridge, says: “There's no problem becoming a vegetarian even from 5 years old. It's fine to cut out meat as long as you replace it with other protein sources. They also need plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables.â€

If you do let Rosie alter her diet, bear in mind that meals can take longer. “Children have a high energy-need and with foods like nuts, seeds and pulses, they need a bigger volume and it does take longer to digest them. Maybe think about four smaller meals a day rather than three,†says Jones.

Finally, take comfort that Rosie's decision indicates that she is of superior intelligence. Two years ago the BMJ published research showing that children with higher IQs became vegetarian. They were also more likely to be female, of a higher social class and better educated. It didn't add that they were young cooks who liked to prepare their own meals. That would be too good to be true.

Have your say

Our two boys have been vegetarian, primarily vegan, since conception. Born very healthy weights of 8lb12 and 8lb9. They're now 7 and 5, are very healthy, energetic, intelligent and compassionate. They have no desire or need to eat animal flesh.

My son became a vegetarian at the age of 12 (I too became one at the same time). It was his choice after seeing an undercover CH4 programme about the treatment of pigs in an abattoir. He is now a 6ft (it did not impede his growth), law graduate (it did not impede his intelligence) .

kim, london,

Have your say

Peter vv

For in a Republic, who is “the country� Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn’t. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them. Mark Twain

For in a Republic, who is “the country� Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn’t. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Mark Twain

six of one, half a dozen of another............

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Sunday, 9 November, 2008 9:21:14 PMRe: Ask your father: Can I become a vegetarian?

yer a lot of help

or a D & D monster?

Peter VV Nov 9, 2008 1:18 PM @gro ups.com Re: Ask your father: Can I become a vegetarian?

same to you......... ...:-)

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>@gro ups.comSunday, 9 November, 2008 9:16:39 PMRe: Ask your father: Can I become a vegetarian?

spag bog?

From The Times

November 8, 2008

Emma Cook

Have your say

kim, london,

Have your say

Peter vv

I thought it was some sort of new Lindow Man, but clearly from the small village of spag in Wales ;-)(BTW, I am speaking nonsense)BBPeter2008/11/9 Peter VV <swpgh01

six of one, half a dozen of another............

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx

Sent: Sunday, 9 November, 2008 9:21:14 PMRe: Ask your father: Can I become a vegetarian?

yer a lot of help

or a D & D monster?

Peter VV Nov 9, 2008 1:18 PM @gro ups.com

Re: Ask your father: Can I become a vegetarian?

same to you......... ...:-)

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>

@gro ups.comSunday, 9 November, 2008 9:16:39 PMRe: Ask your father: Can I become a vegetarian?

spag bog?

Peter VV Nov 9, 2008 12:38 PM @gro ups.com

Re: Ask your father: Can I become a vegetarian?

From The Times

November 8, 2008

Emma Cook

First find out why she is asking, is it something she has seen on TV or been discussing at school? "The chances are they are worried that eating meat is cruel and that's something you need to discuss with them," says Calie Woozley, of the RSPCA. "You could try a meat-free day a week to see how it goes and also to help the child feel that their parents are really listening." Try not to see Rosie becoming a vegetarian as an inconvenience; a rebellion against the family norm. If you do, Rosie will become more stubborn about it.

And while there is something indefinably reassuring about the ritual of a communal family Sunday roast there are alternatives that can be just as healthy. Glenys Jones, a nutritionist at MRC Human Nutrition Research in Cambridge, says: "There's no problem becoming a vegetarian even from 5 years old. It's fine to cut out meat as long as you replace it with other protein sources. They also need plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables."

If you do let Rosie alter her diet, bear in mind that meals can take longer. "Children have a high energy-need and with foods like nuts, seeds and pulses, they need a bigger volume and it does take longer to digest them. Maybe think about four smaller meals a day rather than three," says Jones.

Have your say

kim, london,

Have your say

Peter vv

For in a Republic, who is "the country"? Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Mark Twain

For in a Republic, who is "the country"? Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Mark Twain

LOL - I think I've been there !!!

Jo

, " Peter Kebbell " <metalscarab

wrote:

>

> I thought it was some sort of new Lindow Man, but clearly from the

small

> village of spag in Wales ;-)

>

> (BTW, I am speaking nonsense)

>

> BB

> Peter

>

>

> 2008/11/9 Peter VV <swpgh01

>

> > six of one, half a dozen of another............

> >

> >

> > <http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?

fuseaction=user.viewprofile & friendid=123544694>

> > Peter vv

> >

> >

> >

> > fraggle <EBbrewpunx

> >

> > Sunday, 9 November, 2008 9:21:14 PM

> > Re: Ask your father: Can I become a

vegetarian?

> >

> > yer a lot of help

> >

> > would spag bog be spaghetti Bolognese?

> >

> > or a D & D monster?

> >

> >

> >

> > Peter VV

> > Nov 9, 2008 1:18 PM

> > @gro ups.com

vegetarian?

> >

> > same to you......... ...:-)

> >

> >

> > Peter vv

> >

> >

> >

> > fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>

> > @gro ups.com

> > Sunday, 9 November, 2008 9:16:39 PM

vegetarian?

> >

> > spag bog?

> >

> >

> >

> > Peter VV

> > Nov 9, 2008 12:38 PM

> > @gro ups.com

vegetarian?

> >

> > From The Times

> > November 8, 2008

> > Ask your father: Can I become a vegetarian? Rosie, 10, wants to

know if

> > she can give up meat - what to answer to difficult questions from

your

> > offspring

> > [image: cartoon]

> > to not show photographer information --> to not show image

description -->

> > to not show enlarge option -->

> > Emma Cook

> >

> > As a meat-loving parent, the prospect of Rosie giving up meat

isn't going

> > to fill you with joy. Now, as well as roast lunches and spag bog,

you've got

> > to be clever with Quorn and lentils, and have the added concern

of nutrients

> > and health.

> >

> > Still, you'd better get used to it because increasing numbers of

children

> > are eating a vegetarian diet as they become more aware of where

meat comes

> > from and how it has been reared. Some simply don't like the

taste, others

> > become squeamish once they work out the link between daddy's

crispy bacon

> > sandwich and the cute little piglet in Babe.

> >

> > First find out why she is asking, is it something she has seen on

TV or

> > been discussing at school? " The chances are they are worried that

eating

> > meat is cruel and that's something you need to discuss with

them, " says

> > Calie Woozley, of the RSPCA. " You could try a meat-free day a

week to see

> > how it goes and also to help the child feel that their parents

are really

> > listening. " Try not to see Rosie becoming a vegetarian as an

inconvenience;

> > a rebellion against the family norm. If you do, Rosie will become

more

> > stubborn about it.

> >

> > And while there is something indefinably reassuring about the

ritual of a

> > communal family Sunday roast there are alternatives that can be

just as

> > healthy. Glenys Jones, a nutritionist at MRC Human Nutrition

Research in

> > Cambridge, says: " There's no problem becoming a vegetarian even

from 5 years

> > old. It's fine to cut out meat as long as you replace it with

other protein

> > sources. They also need plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. "

> > If you do let Rosie alter her diet, bear in mind that meals can

take

> > longer. " Children have a high energy-need and with foods like

nuts, seeds

> > and pulses, they need a bigger volume and it does take longer to

digest

> > them. Maybe think about four smaller meals a day rather than

three, " says

> > Jones.

> >

> > Finally, take comfort that Rosie's decision indicates that she is

of

> > superior intelligence. Two years ago the BMJ published research

showing that

> > children with higher IQs became vegetarian. They were also more

likely to be

> > female, of a higher social class and better educated. It didn't

add that

> > they were young cooks who liked to prepare their own meals. That

would be

> > too good to be true.

> >

> > - Have your

say<http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/families/a

rticle5106763.ece#comments-form>

> >

> > Our two boys have been vegetarian, primarily vegan, since

conception.

> > Born very healthy weights of 8lb12 and 8lb9. They're now 7 and 5,

are very

> > healthy, energetic, intelligent and compassionate. They have no

desire or

> > need to eat animal flesh.

> >

> > Sharon & Graham, Adelaide, Australia

> >

> > My son became a vegetarian at the age of 12 (I too became one at

the same

> > time). It was his choice after seeing an undercover CH4 programme

about the

> > treatment of pigs in an abattoir.

> >

> > He is now a 6ft (it did not impede his growth), law graduate (it

did not

> > impede his intelligence) .

> >

> > kim, london,

> >

> > -

> >

<http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/families/arti

cle5106763.ece#>

> >

> >

> > - Have your

say<http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/families/a

rticle5106763.ece#comments-form>

> >

> >

> > Peter vv

> >

> > For in a Republic, who is " the country " ? Is it the Government

which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely

a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to

determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a

patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate

them.

> > Mark Twain

> >

> >