IndiaDivine.org

Cruelty-free products

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hey everyone!

I am very interested in buying products that are not animal-tested, and have pulled up some companies that do not. However, these companies are very cruel to my wallet!

As much as I would love to buy all organic fruits and veggies, I can't afford them all the time. I hope that isn't the case with cruelty-free products too.

My main concern is soaps, some makeup, hair care product and deoderants...for house cleaning supplies, I tend to use baking soda and vinegar...natural things like that.

What brands do you guys use? Right now, I use Pantene, which I just found out is a major offender (I'm sad about that too).

Elaine

“Do not be who you thought you were; be who you wish you were.” — from Neale Walsch’s book Friendship with God

I buy whatever's cheap at the local discount store (usually, there's

a selection of several cruelty-free brands), or wait for sales or

coupons at Whole Foods. We have a Grocery Outlet chain in the SF Bay

Area that often has Whole Foods brands at anywhere from 15 to 75

percent off the regular price. Every time one of these mfrs. changes

the packaging or ingredients, or comes out with new versions, they

show up at the Grocery Outlet store. I used to find health-food-store

shampoo for $2 there; now it's more like $4-$5, which is still

cheaper than other places.

I'm not especially picky about specific brands or products, and I

tend to stock up when I see great prices for favorite items, so I

don't end up paying regular retail prices for products.

At 10:10 AM -0800 11/13/08, Elaine Moses wrote:

I am very interested in buying products that are not animal-tested,

and have pulled up some companies that do not. However, these

companies are very cruel to my wallet!

What brands do you guys use? Right now, I use Pantene, which I just

found out is a major offender (I'm sad about that too).

i guess it all depends on how and where you shop.

All the fruits and veggies we buy are organic, basically. and i'm unemployed. if i can do, anyone can!

:)

it pays to look around. i know PETA has sites dedicatedto easily found cruelty free products. we tend to try and shop at smaller companies tho, which can cost more. but peace of mind means a lot sometimes.

for soap, i use Juniper Ridge products, but only because i worked there, and walked off with casesof the stuff when the laid me off (revenge!) it's organic and wildcrafted, so can't complain.

my partner uses a variety of castille soaps, like dr bronner, or something from kiss my face.

cheers

fraggle

Elaine Moses Nov 13, 2008 10:10 AM Cruelty-free products

Hey everyone!

I am very interested in buying products that are not animal-tested, and have pulled up some companies that do not. However, these companies are very cruel to my wallet!

As much as I would love to buy all organic fruits and veggies, I can't afford them all the time. I hope that isn't the case with cruelty-free products too.

My main concern is soaps, some makeup, hair care product and deoderants...for house cleaning supplies, I tend to use baking soda and vinegar...natural things like that.

What brands do you guys use? Right now, I use Pantene, which I just found out is a major offender (I'm sad about that too).

Elaine

“Do not be who you thought you were; be who you wish you were.†— from Neale Walsch’s book Friendship with God

For in a Republic, who is “the country� Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn’t. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Mark Twain

Hi Elaine

I've just recently discovered Faith In Nature. I had previously been using Neways and Lush, but as with you, found both of those to be expensive. Faith In Nature seem to be much cheaper!

BB

Peter

-

Elaine Moses

Thursday, November 13, 2008 6:10 PM

Cruelty-free products

Hey everyone!

Elaine

“Do not be who you thought you were; be who you wish you were.” — from Neale Walsch’s book Friendship with God

Been using Faith in Nature for years, it is cheaper and the do stuff in bulk ( 5litre )

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab Sent: Thursday, 13 November, 2008 8:12:41 PMRe: Cruelty-free products

Hi Elaine

I've just recently discovered Faith In Nature. I had previously been using Neways and Lush, but as with you, found both of those to be expensive. Faith In Nature seem to be much cheaper!

BB

Peter

-

Elaine Moses

@gro ups.com

Cruelty-free products

Hey everyone!

My main concern is soaps, some makeup, hair care product and deoderants.. .for house cleaning supplies, I tend to use baking soda and vinegar...natural things like that.

Elaine

“Do not be who you thought you were; be who you wish you were.†— from Neale Walsch’s book Friendship with God

Hi Peter

Yeah - I'd noticed those bulk bottles. Still on the "test" bottle I got (didn't want to buy 5 litres if it turned out to be no good!), but will probably buy in bulk once that's running low!

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:17 PM

Re: Cruelty-free products

Been using Faith in Nature for years, it is cheaper and the do stuff in bulk ( 5litre )

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab Sent: Thursday, 13 November, 2008 8:12:41 PMRe: Cruelty-free products

Hi Elaine

BB

Peter

-

Elaine Moses

@gro ups.com

Cruelty-free products

Hey everyone!

My main concern is soaps, some makeup, hair care product and deoderants.. .for house cleaning supplies, I tend to use baking soda and vinegar...natural things like that.

Elaine

>>At 10:10 AM -0800 11/13/08, Elaine Moses wrote:>>I am very interested in buying products that are not animal-tested, >>and have pulled up some companies that do not. However, these >>companies are very cruel to my wallet!>>....>>What brands do you guys use? Right now, I use Pantene, which I just >>found out is a major offender (I'm sad about that too).

have you heard of burt's bees? not all of their stuff is vegan but i am trying their rosemary mint shampoo bar (a bar of soap that you rub on your head) which is very nice and is vegan. i don't know if it's more economical than a bottled shampoo but it definitely travels better. the company is green and natural (incl. no animal testing) but not vegan (use milk and honey). there is a section on their website about their values as a company. maybe you can find something that you like. good luck!

www.burtsbees.com

:-)

sama

I took a look at Faith in Nature and I loved the site, but do you know if they ship to the U.S.? It doesn't look like they do.

Elaine

<>

Peter VV 11/13/2008 4:17:49 PM Re: Cruelty-free products

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab >

Thursday, 13 November, 2008 8:12:41 PM

Hi Elaine

BB

Peter

-

Elaine Moses

@gro ups.com

Cruelty-free products

Hey everyone!

Elaine

oh, yes, I love Burtsbees products! But it is more expensive than I can afford for my regular, everyday soaps and things. Someone else posted about trying to find a discounted store or outlet store. That sounds like a possibility. Unfortunately in San Antonio TX, the awareness level is not too good yet. I will be hunting around for awhile, I think.

Thanks!

Elaine

burts bee's wigs me out.. pesonally i don't use em, because their website lists "suitable for vegans" products, and when you look at the ingredients, they show bees wax, lanolin, etc. yuk. i know they have things that are vegan according to the ingredient list, just one of those companies i just don't trust i guess. don't beleive them.

they are everywhere tho.

fraggle

Kelsang Sama Nov 13, 2008 4:33 PM Re: Cruelty-free products

>>At 10:10 AM -0800 11/13/08, Elaine Moses wrote:>>I am very interested in buying products that are not animal-tested, >>and have pulled up some companies that do not. However, these >>companies are very cruel to my wallet!>>....>>What brands do you guys use? Right now, I use Pantene, which I just >>found out is a major offender (I'm sad about that too).

have you heard of burt's bees? not all of their stuff is vegan but i am trying their rosemary mint shampoo bar (a bar of soap that you rub on your head) which is very nice and is vegan. i don't know if it's more economical than a bottled shampoo but it definitely travels better. the company is green and natural (incl. no animal testing) but not vegan (use milk and honey). there is a section on their website about their values as a company. maybe you can find something that you like. good luck!

www.burtsbees.com

:-)

sama

For in a Republic, who is “the country� Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn’t. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Mark Twain

hurray for multiple duplicate messages!

i can make a game out of it. "is this a new or duplicate message? what are the odds fraggle?well, i don't know, what will i bet me?"

man i'm bored................

fraggle

Peter Nov 13, 2008 2:41 PM Re: Cruelty-free products

Hi Peter

Yeah - I'd noticed those bulk bottles. Still on the "test" bottle I got (didn't want to buy 5 litres if it turned out to be no good!), but will probably buy in bulk once that's running low!

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab > Sent: Thursday, 13 November, 2008 8:12:41 PMRe: Cruelty-free products

Hi Elaine

BB

Peter

-

Elaine Moses

@gro ups.com

Cruelty-free products

Hey everyone!

Elaine

Mark Twain

i don't think they have Longs Drugs in yer neck of the woods, but they often have cheap prices on dr bronners, and even cheaper on glycerine soaps. do ya'll have walgreens? they generally have some sort of glycerine soap for like $.99.

Elaine Moses Nov 14, 2008 8:19 AM Cc: Re: Re: Cruelty-free products

oh, yes, I love Burtsbees products! But it is more expensive than I can afford for my regular, everyday soaps and things. Someone else posted about trying to find a discounted store or outlet store. That sounds like a possibility. Unfortunately in San Antonio TX, the awareness level is not too good yet. I will be hunting around for awhile, I think.

Thanks!

Elaine

Mark Twain

What did you get?

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab Sent: Thursday, 13 November, 2008 10:41:54 PMRe: Cruelty-free products

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comThursday, 13 November, 2008 8:12:41 PMRe: Cruelty-free products

Hi Elaine

BB

Peter

-

Elaine Moses

@gro ups.com

Cruelty-free products

Hey everyone!

Elaine

Hi Peter

Hair conditioner... 3 different sorts. I've gone for a Rosemary based one, and Katy has moved on to an Aloe based one. I forget what the third one is now, but we've tried all three and they're all good.

Now we know that those are good we'll gradually move over to their other products when we run out of our current supplies!

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Friday, November 14, 2008 5:57 PM

What did you get?

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab Sent: Thursday, 13 November, 2008 10:41:54 PMRe: Cruelty-free products

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comThursday, 13 November, 2008 8:12:41 PMRe: Cruelty-free products

Hi Elaine

BB

Peter

-

Elaine Moses

@gro ups.com

Cruelty-free products

Hey everyone!

Elaine

I use the seaweed shampoo & conditioner, and I buy the tea tree for my kids ( to ward off the head lice!), got those in 5 litre containers, their soap is also very good ( the aloe bath stuff I use also...)

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab Sent: Friday, 14 November, 2008 6:13:02 PMRe: Cruelty-free products

Hi Peter

Hair conditioner. .. 3 different sorts. I've gone for a Rosemary based one, and Katy has moved on to an Aloe based one. I forget what the third one is now, but we've tried all three and they're all good.

Now we know that those are good we'll gradually move over to their other products when we run out of our current supplies!

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

What did you get?

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comThursday, 13 November, 2008 10:41:54 PMRe: Cruelty-free products

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv

Hi Elaine

BB

Peter

-

Elaine Moses

@gro ups.com

Cruelty-free products

Hey everyone!

Elaine

is head lice a problem over there?

Peter VV Nov 14, 2008 10:54 AM Re: Cruelty-free products

I use the seaweed shampoo & conditioner, and I buy the tea tree for my kids ( to ward off the head lice!), got those in 5 litre containers, their soap is also very good ( the aloe bath stuff I use also...)

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab > Sent: Friday, 14 November, 2008 6:13:02 PMRe: Cruelty-free products

Hi Peter

Hair conditioner. .. 3 different sorts. I've gone for a Rosemary based one, and Katy has moved on to an Aloe based one. I forget what the third one is now, but we've tried all three and they're all good.

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

What did you get?

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comThursday, 13 November, 2008 10:41:54 PMRe: Cruelty-free products

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv

Hi Elaine

BB

Peter

-

Elaine Moses

@gro ups.com

Cruelty-free products

Hey everyone!

Elaine

Mark Twain

Always happens in schools, cant avoid it..

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Friday, 14 November, 2008 9:15:29 PMRe: Cruelty-free products

is head lice a problem over there?

Peter VV Nov 14, 2008 10:54 AM @gro ups.com Re: Cruelty-free products

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comFriday, 14 November, 2008 6:13:02 PMRe: Cruelty-free products

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

What did you get?

Peter vv

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv

Hi Elaine

BB

Peter

-

Elaine Moses

@gro ups.com

Cruelty-free products

Hey everyone!

Elaine

For in a Republic, who is “the country� Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn’t. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them. Mark Twain

Go to the PETA site. They have a list of a bunch of products that are cruelty

free!

, " Elaine Moses " <hathor633 wrote:

>

> Hey everyone!

>

> I am very interested in buying products that are not animal-tested, and

> have pulled up some companies that do not. However, these companies are

> very cruel to my wallet!

>

> As much as I would love to buy all organic fruits and veggies, I can't

> afford them all the time. I hope that isn't the case with cruelty-free

> products too.

>

> My main concern is soaps, some makeup, hair care product and

> deoderants...for house cleaning supplies, I tend to use baking soda and

> vinegar...natural things like that.

>

> What brands do you guys use? Right now, I use Pantene, which I just

> found out is a major offender (I'm sad about that too).

>

> Elaine

>

> " Do not be who you thought you were; be who you wish you were. " - from

> Neale Walsch's book Friendship with God

>