IndiaDivine.org

Vegan restaurants in LA?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

LA sure has changed over the years. TONS of veggie and vegan restaurants nowadays.

where are you going in LA, as that's important. (LA is spread out all over). i was born down in that hades hole. if you know where ya are heading and/or what you are doing, i might be able to help.

went to California Began the other year, and liked it a lot

http://www.randomgirl.com/veganla.html

fraggle

dadiemert Nov 14, 2008 3:36 PM Vegan restaurants in LA?

Hi all,I am going to LA with my husband to visit where he grew up, but he isjust making the transition to veganism and well, I've never been toLA. I know the websites to use to search for places to eat, but I'mwondering if anyone is from LA or knows of some great places to dine.It would be much appreciated!Thanks,Debra

For in a Republic, who is “the country� Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn’t. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Mark Twain

gotta second the rec for california vegan on sunset. when we lived in san diego my wife and i made regular treks up to hollywood to shop at amoeba (world's best record store), then pour over our purchases during lunch at cal vegan.

they do a fried seitan thing (chick'n?) that is so delectably crispy and crunchy and savory and tasty. their lunch specials are great: for about $7 you get the whole shebang: miso, " egg " roll, salad, and main course. you will not leave hungry.

enjoy!blake On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 5:26 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

LA sure has changed over the years. TONS of veggie and vegan restaurants nowadays.

where are you going in LA, as that's important. (LA is spread out all over). i was born down in that hades hole. if you know where ya are heading and/or what you are doing, i might be able to help.

fraggle

dadiemert Nov 14, 2008 3:36 PM

Vegan restaurants in LA?

Hi all,I am going to LA with my husband to visit where he grew up, but he isjust making the transition to veganism and well, I've never been toLA. I know the websites to use to search for places to eat, but I'm

wondering if anyone is from LA or knows of some great places to dine.It would be much appreciated!Thanks,Debra For in a Republic, who is "the country"? Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Mark Twain

and of course, where is the original amoeba from? *toots bay area horn*

the "shrimp" dish we had at california vegan was scarey. good, but scarey.

Blake Wilson Nov 14, 2008 4:33 PM Re: Vegan restaurants in LA?

gotta second the rec for california vegan on sunset. when we lived in san diego my wife and i made regular treks up to hollywood to shop at amoeba (world's best record store), then pour over our purchases during lunch at cal vegan. they do a fried seitan thing (chick'n?) that is so delectably crispy and crunchy and savory and tasty. their lunch specials are great: for about $7 you get the whole shebang: miso, "egg"roll, salad, and main course. you will not leave hungry. enjoy!blake

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 5:26 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

fraggle

Hi all,I am going to LA with my husband to visit where he grew up, but he isjust making the transition to veganism and well, I've never been toLA. I know the websites to use to search for places to eat, but I'mwondering if anyone is from LA or knows of some great places to dine.It would be much appreciated!Thanks,DebraFor in a Republic, who is "the country"? Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them. Mark Twain

For in a Republic, who is “the country� Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn’t. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Mark Twain

Thank you both for the recommendations! We will be around USC and in

So. Central LA. Also, we're going to a Kings game so we'll be near

Staples Center.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

i think they use that freaky shrimp that's made out of curdlan, which is pretty freaky stuff:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curdlanwe got this weird pork stuff recently from the local big asian market. these are very much a mixed blessing for vegans/vegetarians (if you've been you know what i'm talking about): huge tanks of live fish and seafood, all kinds of weird carcasses and parts, cello wrapped packages of duck's tongues....and loads of vegetarian food (mock stuff of all stripes), every type of tofu imaginable, cheap fresh fruits and veggies, and so on. anyway, this pork/bacon vegan frozen stuff looked like it had been frozen for years, and was made out of curdlan and a few other " standard " veg ingredients. it fried up very bacon-y, and not at all similar to the standard fakin' bacon type stuff available at your local supermarket. this stuff had.....curdlan in it.

and it was good. mmmm...curdlan. i just like saying it. ;^)blake On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 5:43 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

the " shrimp " dish we had at california vegan was scarey. good, but scarey.

Blake Wilson Nov 14, 2008 4:33 PM

Re: Vegan restaurants in LA?

gotta second the rec for california vegan on sunset. when we lived in san diego my wife and i made regular treks up to hollywood to shop at amoeba (world's best record store), then pour over our purchases during lunch at cal vegan.

they do a fried seitan thing (chick'n?) that is so delectably crispy and crunchy and savory and tasty. their lunch specials are great: for about $7 you get the whole shebang: miso, " egg " roll, salad, and main course. you will not leave hungry.

enjoy!blake

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 5:26 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

fraggle

Vegan restaurants in LA?

Hi all,I am going to LA with my husband to visit where he grew up, but he isjust making the transition to veganism and well, I've never been toLA. I know the websites to use to search for places to eat, but I'm

wondering if anyone is from LA or knows of some great places to dine.It would be much appreciated!Thanks,Debra

For in a Republic, who is " the country " ? Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Mark Twain

For in a Republic, who is "the country"? Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Mark Twain

our cats can't get enough of the mock stuff from the local asian markets...open up a can of mock duck, and they are all over us.

trying t o claw up our legs, meowing and whining.

lil monsters

Blake Wilson Nov 14, 2008 8:14 PM Re: Vegan restaurants in LA?

i think they use that freaky shrimp that's made out of curdlan, which is pretty freaky stuff:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curdlanwe got this weird pork stuff recently from the local big asian market. these are very much a mixed blessing for vegans/vegetarians (if you've been you know what i'm talking about): huge tanks of live fish and seafood, all kinds of weird carcasses and parts, cello wrapped packages of duck's tongues....and loads of vegetarian food (mock stuff of all stripes), every type of tofu imaginable, cheap fresh fruits and veggies, and so on. anyway, this pork/bacon vegan frozen stuff looked like it had been frozen for years, and was made out of curdlan and a few other "standard" veg ingredients. it fried up very bacon-y, and not at all similar to the standard fakin' bacon type stuff available at your local supermarket. this stuff had.....curdlan in it. and it was good. mmmm...curdlan. i just like saying it. ;^)blake

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 5:43 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

gotta second the rec for california vegan on sunset. when we lived in san diego my wife and i made regular treks up to hollywood to shop at amoeba (world's best record store), then pour over our purchases during lunch at cal vegan. they do a fried seitan thing (chick'n?) that is so delectably crispy and crunchy and savory and tasty. their lunch specials are great: for about $7 you get the whole shebang: miso, "egg"roll, salad, and main course. you will not leave hungry. enjoy!blake

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 5:26 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

fraggle

Hi all,I am going to LA with my husband to visit where he grew up, but he isjust making the transition to veganism and well, I've never been toLA. I know the websites to use to search for places to eat, but I'mwondering if anyone is from LA or knows of some great places to dine.It would be much appreciated!Thanks,DebraFor in a Republic, who is "the country"? Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them. Mark Twain

For in a Republic, who is "the country"? Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them. Mark Twain

Mark Twain

If we ever have any Alpro yogurt or Cheezly left over we put it out, and the birds love it.

Jo

-

fraggle

Saturday, November 15, 2008 5:20 PM

our cats can't get enough of the mock stuff from the local asian markets...open up a can of mock duck, and they are all over us.

lil monsters

Blake Wilson Nov 14, 2008 8:14 PM Re: Vegan restaurants in LA?

i think they use that freaky shrimp that's made out of curdlan, which is pretty freaky stuff:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curdlanwe got this weird pork stuff recently from the local big asian market. these are very much a mixed blessing for vegans/vegetarians (if you've been you know what i'm talking about): huge tanks of live fish and seafood, all kinds of weird carcasses and parts, cello wrapped packages of duck's tongues....and loads of vegetarian food (mock stuff of all stripes), every type of tofu imaginable, cheap fresh fruits and veggies, and so on. anyway, this pork/bacon vegan frozen stuff looked like it had been frozen for years, and was made out of curdlan and a few other "standard" veg ingredients. it fried up very bacon-y, and not at all similar to the standard fakin' bacon type stuff available at your local supermarket. this stuff had.....curdlan in it. and it was good. mmmm...curdlan. i just like saying it. ;^)blake

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 5:43 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

fraggle

For in a Republic, who is "the country"? Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them. Mark Twain

For in a Republic, who is “the country� Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn’t. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them. Mark Twain

Have you ever considered checking the ingredients?

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Saturday, 15 November, 2008 5:20:08 PMRe: Vegan restaurants in LA?

lil monsters

Blake Wilson Nov 14, 2008 8:14 PM @gro ups.com Re: Vegan restaurants in LA?

i think they use that freaky shrimp that's made out of curdlan, which is pretty freaky stuff:http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Curdlanwe got this weird pork stuff recently from the local big asian market. these are very much a mixed blessing for vegans/vegetarians (if you've been you know what i'm talking about): huge tanks of live fish and seafood, all kinds of weird carcasses and parts, cello wrapped packages of duck's tongues....and loads of vegetarian food (mock stuff of all stripes), every type of tofu imaginable, cheap fresh fruits and veggies, and so on. anyway, this pork/bacon vegan frozen stuff looked like it had been frozen for years, and was made out of curdlan and a few other "standard" veg ingredients. it fried up very bacon-y, and not at all similar to the standard fakin' bacon type stuff available at your local supermarket. this stuff

had.....curdlan in it. and it was good. mmmm...curdlan. i just like saying it. ;^)blake

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 5:43 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net> wrote:

Blake Wilson Nov 14, 2008 4:33 PM @gro ups.com

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 5:26 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net> wrote:

http://www.randomgi rl.com/veganla. html

fraggle

dadiemert Nov 14, 2008 3:36 PM @gro ups.com Vegan restaurants in LA?

For in a Republic, who is “the country� Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn’t. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them. Mark Twain

it IS rather like cat food, isn't it? we probably eat 2 cans a month, and treat it like a splurge. we get the same brand in the blue can; not sure of the name. we found one last time at the market labled " vegetarian popk " , instead of pork. bought it and ate it anyway.

we also found " vegetarian gizzard " . i'm not kidding. i'll put up a photo later. we haven't eaten that yet. we did eat the " imitation wheat tendon " , that was good. blake

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 10:20 AM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

lil monsters

Blake Wilson Nov 14, 2008 8:14 PM

i think they use that freaky shrimp that's made out of curdlan, which is pretty freaky stuff:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curdlanwe got this weird pork stuff recently from the local big asian market. these are very much a mixed blessing for vegans/vegetarians (if you've been you know what i'm talking about): huge tanks of live fish and seafood, all kinds of weird carcasses and parts, cello wrapped packages of duck's tongues....and loads of vegetarian food (mock stuff of all stripes), every type of tofu imaginable, cheap fresh fruits and veggies, and so on. anyway, this pork/bacon vegan frozen stuff looked like it had been frozen for years, and was made out of curdlan and a few other " standard " veg ingredients. it fried up very bacon-y, and not at all similar to the standard fakin' bacon type stuff available at your local supermarket. this stuff had.....curdlan in it.

and it was good. mmmm...curdlan. i just like saying it. ;^)blake

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 5:43 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

enjoy!blake

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 5:26 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

fraggle

Vegan restaurants in LA?

wondering if anyone is from LA or knows of some great places to dine.It would be much appreciated!Thanks,Debra

For in a Republic, who is " the country " ? Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Mark Twain

Mark Twain

For in a Republic, who is "the country"? Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Mark Twain

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 12:10 AM, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx

Saturday, 15 November, 2008 5:20:08 PMRe: Vegan restaurants in LA?

lil monsters

Blake Wilson Nov 14, 2008 8:14 PM @gro ups.com

i think they use that freaky shrimp that's made out of curdlan, which is pretty freaky stuff:http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Curdlan

we got this weird pork stuff recently from the local big asian market. these are very much a mixed blessing for vegans/vegetarians (if you've been you know what i'm talking about): huge tanks of live fish and seafood, all kinds of weird carcasses and parts, cello wrapped packages of duck's tongues....and loads of vegetarian food (mock stuff of all stripes), every type of tofu imaginable, cheap fresh fruits and veggies, and so on. anyway, this pork/bacon vegan frozen stuff looked like it had been frozen for years, and was made out of curdlan and a few other " standard " veg ingredients. it fried up very bacon-y, and not at all similar to the standard fakin' bacon type stuff available at your local supermarket. this stuff

had.....curdlan in it. and it was good. mmmm...curdlan. i just like saying it. ;^)blake

enjoy!blake

fraggle

dadiemert Nov 14, 2008 3:36 PM @gro ups.com

Vegan restaurants in LA?

Mark Twain

Mark Twain

Mark Twain

a vegan..checking the ingredients..unheard of! what are you talking about man?!!!

oh come on peter, try asking a real question! we always check the ingredients, even on something marked "vegan" or "vegetarian"

Peter VV Nov 15, 2008 11:10 PM Re: Vegan restaurants in LA?

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Saturday, 15 November, 2008 5:20:08 PMRe: Vegan restaurants in LA?

lil monsters

i think they use that freaky shrimp that's made out of curdlan, which is pretty freaky stuff:http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Curdlanwe got this weird pork stuff recently from the local big asian market. these are very much a mixed blessing for vegans/vegetarians (if you've been you know what i'm talking about): huge tanks of live fish and seafood, all kinds of weird carcasses and parts, cello wrapped packages of duck's tongues....and loads of vegetarian food (mock stuff of all stripes), every type of tofu imaginable, cheap fresh fruits and veggies, and so on. anyway, this pork/bacon vegan frozen stuff looked like it had been frozen for years, and was made out of curdlan and a few other "standard" veg ingredients. it fried up very bacon-y, and not at all similar to the standard fakin' bacon type stuff available at your local supermarket. this stuff had.....curdlan in it. and it was good. mmmm...curdlan. i just like saying it. ;^)blake

fraggle

Mark Twain

yeah, there are some real oddball ones out there.

we have a store called Layonna here, which just carries vegetarian and vegan mock meats.

there used to be a vegetarian place in Albany (a couple towns over) which made "vegan jellyfish", and other off the wall dishes. vegan ants in a tree, etchttp://www.layonna.com/

Blake Wilson Nov 16, 2008 8:16 AM Re: Vegan restaurants in LA?

it IS rather like cat food, isn't it? we probably eat 2 cans a month, and treat it like a splurge. we get the same brand in the blue can; not sure of the name. we found one last time at the market labled "vegetarian popk", instead of pork. bought it and ate it anyway. we also found "vegetarian gizzard". i'm not kidding. i'll put up a photo later. we haven't eaten that yet. we did eat the "imitation wheat tendon", that was good. blake

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 10:20 AM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

lil monsters

Blake Wilson

Nov 14, 2008 8:14 PM Re: Vegan restaurants in LA?

fraggle

Mark Twain

Same here. Tesco mark chocolate covered brazil nuts as vegetarian, and yet they use shellac to make them shine!!!

Jo

-

fraggle

Sunday, November 16, 2008 5:22 PM

a vegan..checking the ingredients..unheard of! what are you talking about man?!!!

oh come on peter, try asking a real question! we always check the ingredients, even on something marked "vegan" or "vegetarian"

Peter VV Nov 15, 2008 11:10 PM Re: Vegan restaurants in LA?

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Saturday, 15 November, 2008 5:20:08 PMRe: Vegan restaurants in LA?

lil monsters

i think they use that freaky shrimp that's made out of curdlan, which is pretty freaky stuff:http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Curdlanwe got this weird pork stuff recently from the local big asian market. these are very much a mixed blessing for vegans/vegetarians (if you've been you know what i'm talking about): huge tanks of live fish and seafood, all kinds of weird carcasses and parts, cello wrapped packages of duck's tongues....and loads of vegetarian food (mock stuff of all stripes), every type of tofu imaginable, cheap fresh fruits and veggies, and so on. anyway, this pork/bacon vegan frozen stuff looked like it had been frozen for years, and was made out of curdlan and a few other "standard" veg ingredients. it fried up very bacon-y, and not at all similar to the standard fakin' bacon type stuff available at your local supermarket. this stuff had.....curdlan in it. and it was good. mmmm...curdlan. i just like saying it. ;^)blake

fraggle