IndiaDivine.org

College Veg in the Reg

Rate this topic

Guest guest

university of minnesota blog..........

Written by Collin Sandoe

Saturday, 22 November 2008

I have gotten a lot of interesting questions since I became vegan in May of this year, such as, “What does vegan even mean?†and “How do you get your protein?†Still, the most legitimate would have to be, “Do you really think a vegan individual can make a difference?†I would like to take a minute to try to clear up some of these issues regarding veganism for non-vegans.Veganism is the decision to eliminate all animal products from your diet. I initially became a vegetarian four years ago. Many people become vegan to stop animal cruelty, adopt a healthy lifestyle, and reduce one’s environmental carbon footprint. My reasoning is a combination of these. I do not want to benefit from the exploitation of animals, nor do I want to further expand my carbon footprint. I also desire a sustainable and healthy lifestyle. In regards to the conundrum of obtaining enough protein, the answer is simple. I get my

protein from nuts, soy, seeds, beans, and whole grains. My favorite retort to non-vegans questioners of the health aspects of my diet is, “Where do you get your vitamins and minerals?â€The question of individual motivation has weighed heavily on my mind and has motivated me to step up as the co-chair of the Movement for Animal Rights by Concerned Humans (MARCH). These thoughts were further stirred upon a reprimand of my mother’s. Her words, “Collin, no one’s ever going to listen to you if you go around shoving your convictions down peoples throats,†were quite disheartening to my cause.Her words hold some truth, though I hate to admit it. Many people I tell about my veganism become defensive and treat me as if I’m some sort of radical who is trying to take away their meat. I am not trying to take away anyone’s meat. I simply desire to educate others about my lifestyle. With that, I would like to invite all interested

to the vegan potluck that I am hosting on Monday, November 24 at 7 pm in the campus apartment commons. Feel free to contribute any dish free of animal products. In addition, this will be the first MARCH meeting of the year. Anyone can come!

Peter vv

jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork Sent: Tuesday, 11 November, 2008 7:40:07 PM Weather

We had loads of rain yesterday, and gales! I got soaked through at lunchtime, and then when I was almost dried out there was a fire alarm and we all had to go out in the rain and gales again! So - I was soaked once again.

How is everyone else fairing with their weather?

Jo