IndiaDivine.org

Tomatoes!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Police mistake widow's tomato plants for cannabis factory

Police raided a 79-year-old widow's Highland cottage after mistaking her tomato plants for a cannabis factory, it was reported.

By Graham Tibbetts Last Updated: 7:21AM GMT 27 Nov 2008

The officers burst in with sniffer dogs and took samples of the plants for analysis.

Lulu Matheson, who has lived in the property in Shieldaig for 53 years, said she was shaken up by the encounter.

Mrs Matheson told the Daily Mail: "I got a terrible fright and I couldn't understand what they were doing here because I knew we had nothing more than tomatoes in the window. I don't know what the neighbours must be thinking."

Her 47-year-old son Gus, a former driver, was looking out of the window when he saw police cars stop outside.

He said: "I wondered what on earth was going on. I opened the door and they more or less barged past, saying that I was growing cannabis on the windowsills.

"I started laughing because I knew they were tomato plants but it wasn't so funny when they frisked me and then started tearing the house apart."

Mr Matheson said he was held in the bedroom while officers searched the furniture and under the mattress. He also said that the police impounded the family's pet dogs.

"They even 'arrested' Zac, our black labrador, and Moby, our Jack Russell, putting them in the back of one of the cop cars," Mr Matheson added.

"And I just couldn't believe it when they brought sniffer dogs all the way from Alness, which is about two hours away."

He went on: "Despite leaving with their tails between their legs, the police didn't even apologise."

Mr Matheson, a keen gardener, grows tomatoes in the south-facing bedroom window.

He said: "We always enjoy having a juicy home-grown tomato with our dinner and I've had fine crops this year."

Mr Matheson is now making a formal complaint to Northern Constabulary.

A police spokesman said: "We can confirm that, acting on information, we attended at an address in the Shieldaig area.

"No drugs were found as a result of the search."

I'm sure they're just a few months early. Can't be long before tomatoes are reclassified as class A drugs.BBPeter2008/11/27 jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork

Police raided a 79-year-old widow's Highland cottage after mistaking her tomato plants for a cannabis factory, it was reported.

The officers burst in with sniffer dogs and took samples of the plants for analysis.

Lulu Matheson, who has lived in the property in Shieldaig for 53 years, said she was shaken up by the encounter.

Mrs Matheson told the Daily Mail: " I got a terrible fright and I couldn't understand what they were doing here because I knew we had nothing more than tomatoes in the window. I don't know what the neighbours must be thinking. "

Her 47-year-old son Gus, a former driver, was looking out of the window when he saw police cars stop outside.

He said: " I wondered what on earth was going on. I opened the door and they more or less barged past, saying that I was growing cannabis on the windowsills.

" I started laughing because I knew they were tomato plants but it wasn't so funny when they frisked me and then started tearing the house apart. "

Mr Matheson said he was held in the bedroom while officers searched the furniture and under the mattress. He also said that the police impounded the family's pet dogs.

" They even 'arrested' Zac, our black labrador, and Moby, our Jack Russell, putting them in the back of one of the cop cars, " Mr Matheson added.

" And I just couldn't believe it when they brought sniffer dogs all the way from Alness, which is about two hours away. "

He went on: " Despite leaving with their tails between their legs, the police didn't even apologise. "

Mr Matheson, a keen gardener, grows tomatoes in the south-facing bedroom window.

He said: " We always enjoy having a juicy home-grown tomato with our dinner and I've had fine crops this year. "

A police spokesman said: " We can confirm that, acting on information, we attended at an address in the Shieldaig area.

" No drugs were found as a result of the search. "

on another front, i was talking to someone the other day, and her mom went to amsterdam, and bought some plants because she thought they were pretty.

you get one guess to guess what they were. the daughter had to break the news to her. she was on her way back to England with them!

sadly, our tomatoes are done for the year. the lack of sun has turned the few remaining plants black.

"jo.heartwork" Nov 27, 2008 1:54 PM Tomatoes!

Mrs Matheson told the Daily Mail: "I got a terrible fright and I couldn't understand what they were doing here because I knew we had nothing more than tomatoes in the window. I don't know what the neighbours must be thinking."

He said: "I wondered what on earth was going on. I opened the door and they more or less barged past, saying that I was growing cannabis on the windowsills.

"I started laughing because I knew they were tomato plants but it wasn't so funny when they frisked me and then started tearing the house apart."

"They even 'arrested' Zac, our black labrador, and Moby, our Jack Russell, putting them in the back of one of the cop cars," Mr Matheson added.

"And I just couldn't believe it when they brought sniffer dogs all the way from Alness, which is about two hours away."

He went on: "Despite leaving with their tails between their legs, the police didn't even apologise."

He said: "We always enjoy having a juicy home-grown tomato with our dinner and I've had fine crops this year."

A police spokesman said: "We can confirm that, acting on information, we attended at an address in the Shieldaig area.

For in a Republic, who is “the country� Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn’t. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Mark Twain

Silvery Fir Tree tomatoes have exceptionally lacy and decorative

leaves (though the tomatoes are quite tart), which a suspicious

neighbor might mistake for a controlled substance. They don't get very

tall, so would probably do well in containers. Just an idea.

What's really shocking is that all those police officers didn't

recognize a tomato plant!

-

Peter

Kebbell

Thursday, November 27, 2008 10:05 PM

Re: Tomatoes!

I'm sure they're just a few months early. Can't be long before

tomatoes are reclassified as class A drugs.

BB

Peter

2008/11/27 jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork

Police raided a 79-year-old widow's Highland cottage after

mistaking her tomato plants for a cannabis factory, it was

reported.

By Graham Tibbetts

Last Updated: 7:21AM GMT 27 Nov 2008

The officers burst in with sniffer dogs and took samples of the

plants for analysis.

Lulu Matheson, who has lived in the property in Shieldaig for 53

years, said she was shaken up by the encounter.

Mrs Matheson told the Daily Mail: " I got a terrible fright

and I couldn't understand what they were doing here because I knew we

had nothing more than tomatoes in the window. I don't know what the

neighbours must be thinking. "

Her 47-year-old son Gus, a former driver, was looking out of the

window when he saw police cars stop outside.

He said: " I wondered what on earth was going on. I opened

the door and they more or less barged past, saying that I was growing

cannabis on the windowsills.

" I started laughing because I knew they were tomato plants

but it wasn't so funny when they frisked me and then started tearing

the house apart. "

Mr Matheson said he was held in the bedroom while officers

searched the furniture and under the mattress. He also said that the

police impounded the family's pet dogs.

" They even 'arrested' Zac, our black labrador, and Moby, our

Jack Russell, putting them in the back of one of the cop cars, "

Mr Matheson added.

" And I just couldn't believe it when they brought sniffer

dogs all the way from Alness, which is about two hours away. "

He went on: " Despite leaving with their tails between their

legs, the police didn't even apologise. "

Mr Matheson, a keen gardener, grows tomatoes in the south-facing

bedroom window.

He said: " We always enjoy having a juicy home-grown tomato

with our dinner and I've had fine crops this year. "

Mr Matheson is now making a formal complaint to Northern

Constabulary.

A police spokesman said: " We can confirm that, acting on

information, we attended at an address in the Shieldaig area.

" No drugs were found as a result of the search. "

LOL - you never know now!

BBJo

-

Peter Kebbell

Thursday, November 27, 2008 10:05 PM

Re: Tomatoes!

I'm sure they're just a few months early. Can't be long before tomatoes are reclassified as class A drugs.BBPeter

2008/11/27 jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork >