IndiaDivine.org

Vegan Society Newsletter - November 2008

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Animal Free Shopper - new edition!

Edition 8 of The Animal Free Shopper is now available to purchase.

The latest version is the largest we've ever produced, detailing

thousands of vegan products as well as contact details for

many vegan companies and organisations and a listing

of E numbers to avoid.

Makes a perfect xmas gift and still only £4.99!

Read More

Special Education Offer - Save £4.99

For a limited period only, we are offering our educational CD-Rom free

with every copy of Feeding Your Vegan Infant purchased. The

combined book and CD make a perfect present for vegans

with young family members, or those about to become

parents. A bargain at £9.99 for both!

Read More

Upcoming Events.

Sunday 30th December - Xmas Without Cruelty Fayre

Kensington Town Hall 10am - 5pm - see http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/NEWS/news_living//1974//

Saturday 6th December - Veg*n Climate March.

Be part of history in London! Be part of the biggest ever mobilisation of vegetarians and

vegans on environmental grounds!!

Veg*nism is the solution to many of the catastrophes facing the planet

- it`s time to tell the world!!

Join the march to:

Demand that world leaders stop propping up the animal farming industries that cause climate change.

Raise awareness amongst environmentalists and the general public that their choice of diet is critical to the survival of the planet!!

For more details see http://veggieclimatemarch.50webs.com/

Saturday 13th December - East Midlands Vegan Festival

For more details see http://www.veggies.org.uk/event.php?ref=1217

Thank you for supporting The Vegan Society. We also thank you on behalf of all

the abused sentient creatures who aren't in a position to thank you themselves!

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.9.10/1815 - Release 27/11/2008 09:02

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.9.10/1815 - Release 27/11/2008 09:02

Y'know, I'm really wondering what's going on with the vegan society at the moment.

I received this a couple of days ago, yet in "forthcoming events", it makes no mention at all of the Veggie Christmas Roadshow which took place in Bristol yesterday. Nor was it mentioned at all in upcoming events in the last Vegan Magazine.

The report on the London Vegan Festival received less than half a page in their magazine, most of which was taken up by a photograph.

Now, when we come to the Bristol Vegan Fayre... two issues ago this received an entire double page spread in the Vegan Magazine, heaping praise on the event. I, and at least half a dozen other people I know wrote to the vegan magazine highlighting that this event had increased in price by 300% since the previous year, and over 600% since it started four years ago. Clearly enough people did write in with this, or similar complaints, because in the very next issue is a full page article explaining the costs and income of the Bristol Vegan Fayre (not something I imagine they would publish unless there was significant concern over it from their readership).

Despite this, not a single word has been published which criticises the Bristol Vegan Fayre, and none of the letters sent made their letters page.

I was astonished by the costing of the Fayre... worded very politically, it highlighted that a mere 12% of the budget is spent on the bands (i.e. the music festival, which most people have no interest in at all). That actually comes to £12,000, which means that £1.10 of every entry fee (11,000 people attended) is going toward paying the bands, which only a few hundred stay around for. That is ignoring all the administration, costs of electricity, acoustic bands, security, first aid, etc. etc. which are all additional costs to putting on a concert.

I wrote another letter to the vegan magazine highlighting these facts, and I know that several others have done likewise. Each of us has received a very polite response stating that they receive many letters and can not publish them all, and we will therefore understand that they will not be publishing these particular letters.

So, my question is... why is the Vegan Society so intent on supporting one, very expensive event, which year by year is having less to do with Veganism and more to do with a music festival, while completely ignoring genuine vegan events, and refusing to publish valid concerns with regard to the organisation of their favoured event?

My membership is due for renewal in February - and at the moment I am feeling distinctly disinclined to spend my money supporting a society which has more interest in supporting a music festival than in providing valid information to its members.

(Sorry, rant over)

BB

Peter

-

jo.heartwork

Sunday, November 30, 2008 12:05 PM

of E numbers to avoid.

Read More

Read More

Upcoming Events.

Kensington Town Hall 10am - 5pm - see http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/NEWS/news_living//1974//

Be part of history in London! Be part of the biggest ever mobilisation of vegetarians and

Join the march to:

Demand that world leaders stop propping up the animal farming industries that cause climate change.

Raise awareness amongst environmentalists and the general public that their choice of diet is critical to the survival of the planet!!

if its free, why does it cost $4.99?

ah, i slay me......

"jo.heartwork" Nov 30, 2008 4:05 AM Vegan Society Newsletter - November 2008

of E numbers to avoid.

Read More

Read More

Upcoming Events.

Join the march to:

For in a Republic, who is “the country� Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn’t. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Mark Twain

how much does the Bristol Fayre cost?

Peter Nov 30, 2008 4:46 AM Re: Vegan Society Newsletter - November 2008

Y'know, I'm really wondering what's going on with the vegan society at the moment.

I received this a couple of days ago, yet in "forthcoming events", it makes no mention at all of the Veggie Christmas Roadshow which took place in Bristol yesterday. Nor was it mentioned at all in upcoming events in the last Vegan Magazine.

The report on the London Vegan Festival received less than half a page in their magazine, most of which was taken up by a photograph.

Now, when we come to the Bristol Vegan Fayre... two issues ago this received an entire double page spread in the Vegan Magazine, heaping praise on the event. I, and at least half a dozen other people I know wrote to the vegan magazine highlighting that this event had increased in price by 300% since the previous year, and over 600% since it started four years ago. Clearly enough people did write in with this, or similar complaints, because in the very next issue is a full page article explaining the costs and income of the Bristol Vegan Fayre (not something I imagine they would publish unless there was significant concern over it from their readership).

Despite this, not a single word has been published which criticises the Bristol Vegan Fayre, and none of the letters sent made their letters page.

I was astonished by the costing of the Fayre... worded very politically, it highlighted that a mere 12% of the budget is spent on the bands (i.e. the music festival, which most people have no interest in at all). That actually comes to £12,000, which means that £1.10 of every entry fee (11,000 people attended) is going toward paying the bands, which only a few hundred stay around for. That is ignoring all the administration, costs of electricity, acoustic bands, security, first aid, etc. etc. which are all additional costs to putting on a concert.

I wrote another letter to the vegan magazine highlighting these facts, and I know that several others have done likewise. Each of us has received a very polite response stating that they receive many letters and can not publish them all, and we will therefore understand that they will not be publishing these particular letters.

So, my question is... why is the Vegan Society so intent on supporting one, very expensive event, which year by year is having less to do with Veganism and more to do with a music festival, while completely ignoring genuine vegan events, and refusing to publish valid concerns with regard to the organisation of their favoured event?

My membership is due for renewal in February - and at the moment I am feeling distinctly disinclined to spend my money supporting a society which has more interest in supporting a music festival than in providing valid information to its members.

(Sorry, rant over)

BB

Peter

-

jo.heartwork

of E numbers to avoid.

Read More

Read More

Upcoming Events.

Join the march to:

For in a Republic, who is “the country� Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn’t. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Mark Twain

Hi Fraggle

£12 for a 2 day ticket if purchased in advance, £5 each day if purchased on the door (and don't ask me why it's more expensive in advance, I always thought the idea of advance tickets was to be cheaper!)

It's quite interesting looking at the main advertisement lines on their website. Virtually nothing about the vegan aspects of the fayre, but: "This stunning line up is looking like a sell out", and "With no other festivals in Bristol this year boasting such an impressive line up demand for tickets is already extremely high".

So basically, they're trying to get everyone to pay the £12 for advanced tickets with the suggestion that entry on the day may not be available.

Just for reference, the first year it cost just 50p, the second year was £1, and last year was £2.

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Sunday, November 30, 2008 4:59 PM

Re: Vegan Society Newsletter - November 2008

(Sorry, rant over)

BB

Peter

-

jo.heartwork

of E numbers to avoid.

Read More

Read More

Upcoming Events.

Join the march to:

For in a Republic, who is “the country� Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn’t. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them. Mark Twain

I know it was £1 when we went. It was good - all about veganism. There was some music going on amongst the stalls etc. but there was no evening entertainment, which I wouldn't have stayed for anyway. I'm not sure what the London Vegan Festival or the Christmas Without Cruelty fairs have entertainment or not, but they are still charging £1 entry - which is reasonable enough.

BBJo

-

Peter

Sunday, November 30, 2008 5:27 PM

Hi Fraggle

£12 for a 2 day ticket if purchased in advance, £5 each day if purchased on the door (and don't ask me why it's more expensive in advance, I always thought the idea of advance tickets was to be cheaper!)

It's quite interesting looking at the main advertisement lines on their website. Virtually nothing about the vegan aspects of the fayre, but: "This stunning line up is looking like a sell out", and "With no other festivals in Bristol this year boasting such an impressive line up demand for tickets is already extremely high".

So basically, they're trying to get everyone to pay the £12 for advanced tickets with the suggestion that entry on the day may not be available.

Just for reference, the first year it cost just 50p, the second year was £1, and last year was £2.

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Sunday, November 30, 2008 4:59 PM

(Sorry, rant over)

BB

Peter

-

jo.heartwork

of E numbers to avoid.

Read More

Read More

Upcoming Events.

Join the march to:

For in a Republic, who is “the country� Is it the Government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant—merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn’t. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them. Mark Twain

When you say most people have no interest at all in the bands,what are you basing that on?, did you question them all? or did no-one attend the gigs?

I agree the price for entry is extortionate, especially if people have to travell to get there as well.

P.S., i SENT A COPY OF YOUR E-MAIL TO THE VEGAN SOCIETY FOR COMMENT...............:)

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab Sent: Sunday, 30 November, 2008 12:46:20 PMRe: Vegan Society Newsletter - November 2008

(Sorry, rant over)

BB

Peter

-

jo.heartwork

@gro ups.com

of E numbers to avoid.

Read More

Read More

Upcoming Events.

Kensington Town Hall 10am - 5pm - see http://www.animalai d.org.uk/ h/n/NEWS/ news_living/ /1974//

Join the march to:

For more details see http://veggieclimat emarch.50webs. com/

For more details see http://www.veggies. org.uk/event. php?ref=1217

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. com Version: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.9.10/1815 - Release 27/11/2008 09:02

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. com Version: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.9.10/1815 - Release 27/11/2008 09:02

Hi PeterI base it on the fact that I haven't yet come across anyone who is interested in the bands at all. And as the current treasurer of the Uni Vegetarian & Vegan Society, I do know a fair number of Bristol folks who would want to go to this sort of event (around 150 members I believe). Also, a lot of my friends who aren't vegan or veggie, but have been to the fayre in previous years (we'd held a regular meet-up there of about a dozen of us in the past two years) didn't want to pay for bands they wouldn't see, so we just organised a meet up outside of the fayre.

So, I'd say that while I haven't spoken to all 11,000 attendees, I have spoken to enough people to get a general feeling of what people want from a vegan fayre.Also, just to add to this, one of my best vegan friends is a very frequent attendee of music festivals, and she agrees that if she wants to go to a vegan event she'll go to a vegan event, if she wants a music festival she'll go to a music festival!

BBPeter 2008/11/30 Peter VV <swpgh01

When you say most people have no interest at all in the bands,what are you basing that on?, did you question them all? or did no-one attend the gigs?

I agree the price for entry is extortionate, especially if people have to travell to get there as well.

P.S., i SENT A COPY OF YOUR E-MAIL TO THE VEGAN SOCIETY FOR COMMENT...............:)

I dont see the problem combining music with a vegan fayre, as long as the price is right, not as extortionate as this.

Peter vv

Peter Kebbell <metalscarab Sent: Sunday, 30 November, 2008 6:43:17 PMRe: Vegan Society Newsletter - November 2008

Hi PeterI base it on the fact that I haven't yet come across anyone who is interested in the bands at all. And as the current treasurer of the Uni Vegetarian & Vegan Society, I do know a fair number of Bristol folks who would want to go to this sort of event (around 150 members I believe). Also, a lot of my friends who aren't vegan or veggie, but have been to the fayre in previous years (we'd held a regular meet-up there of about a dozen of us in the past two years) didn't want to pay for bands they wouldn't see, so we just organised a meet up outside of the fayre.So, I'd say that while I haven't spoken to all 11,000 attendees, I have spoken to enough people to get a general feeling of what people want from a vegan fayre.Also, just to add to this, one of my best vegan friends is a very frequent attendee of music festivals, and she agrees that if she wants to go to a vegan event she'll go to a vegan event, if she wants a

music festival she'll go to a music festival!BBPeter

2008/11/30 Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com>

P.S., i SENT A COPY OF YOUR E-MAIL TO THE VEGAN SOCIETY FOR COMMENT..... ......... .:)

Hi Peter

I agree - I've got no objections to having live music there. What I object to is having to pay the price of a concert ticket in order for them to pay for bands which I have no interest in seeing...

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Sunday, November 30, 2008 6:46 PM

I dont see the problem combining music with a vegan fayre, as long as the price is right, not as extortionate as this.

Peter vv

Peter Kebbell <metalscarab Sent: Sunday, 30 November, 2008 6:43:17 PMRe: Vegan Society Newsletter - November 2008

Hi PeterI base it on the fact that I haven't yet come across anyone who is interested in the bands at all. And as the current treasurer of the Uni Vegetarian & Vegan Society, I do know a fair number of Bristol folks who would want to go to this sort of event (around 150 members I believe). Also, a lot of my friends who aren't vegan or veggie, but have been to the fayre in previous years (we'd held a regular meet-up there of about a dozen of us in the past two years) didn't want to pay for bands they wouldn't see, so we just organised a meet up outside of the fayre.So, I'd say that while I haven't spoken to all 11,000 attendees, I have spoken to enough people to get a general feeling of what people want from a vegan fayre.Also, just to add to this, one of my best vegan friends is a very frequent attendee of music festivals, and she agrees that if she wants to go to a vegan event she'll go to a vegan event, if she wants a music festival she'll go to a music festival!BBPeter

P.S., i SENT A COPY OF YOUR E-MAIL TO THE VEGAN SOCIETY FOR COMMENT..... ......... .:)

Maybe they should seperate the two, keep the bands until the evening as a seperate event, with loads of vegan beer!

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab Sent: Sunday, 30 November, 2008 6:58:09 PMRe: Vegan Society Newsletter - November 2008

Hi Peter

I agree - I've got no objections to having live music there. What I object to is having to pay the price of a concert ticket in order for them to pay for bands which I have no interest in seeing...

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv

Peter Kebbell <metalscarab@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comSunday, 30 November, 2008 6:43:17 PMRe: Vegan Society Newsletter - November 2008

Hi PeterI base it on the fact that I haven't yet come across anyone who is interested in the bands at all. And as the current treasurer of the Uni Vegetarian & Vegan Society, I do know a fair number of Bristol folks who would want to go to this sort of event (around 150 members I believe). Also, a lot of my friends who aren't vegan or veggie, but have been to the fayre in previous years (we'd held a regular meet-up there of about a dozen of us in the past two years) didn't want to pay for bands they wouldn't see, so we just organised a meet up outside of the fayre.So, I'd say that while I haven't spoken to all 11,000 attendees, I have spoken to enough people to get a general feeling of what people want from a vegan fayre.Also, just to add to this, one of my best vegan friends is a very frequent attendee of music festivals, and she agrees that if she wants to go to a vegan event she'll go to a vegan event, if she wants a

music festival she'll go to a music festival!BBPeter

LOL.

I sent the advert because it is quite a good book - one I have used a lot myself, but unfortunately there is not a new edition every year - maybe once every four years.

Jo

-

fraggle

Sunday, November 30, 2008 4:57 PM

if its free, why does it cost $4.99?

ah, i slay me......

"jo.heartwork" Nov 30, 2008 4:05 AM Vegan Society Newsletter - November 2008

of E numbers to avoid.

Read More

Read More

Upcoming Events.

Join the march to:

what, did someone say beer?

Peter VV Nov 30, 2008 11:31 AM Re: Vegan Society Newsletter - November 2008

Maybe they should seperate the two, keep the bands until the evening as a seperate event, with loads of vegan beer!

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab > Sent: Sunday, 30 November, 2008 6:58:09 PMRe: Vegan Society Newsletter - November 2008

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv

Peter Kebbell <metalscarab@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comSunday, 30 November, 2008 6:43:17 PMRe: Vegan Society Newsletter - November 2008

Hi PeterI base it on the fact that I haven't yet come across anyone who is interested in the bands at all. And as the current treasurer of the Uni Vegetarian & Vegan Society, I do know a fair number of Bristol folks who would want to go to this sort of event (around 150 members I believe). Also, a lot of my friends who aren't vegan or veggie, but have been to the fayre in previous years (we'd held a regular meet-up there of about a dozen of us in the past two years) didn't want to pay for bands they wouldn't see, so we just organised a meet up outside of the fayre.So, I'd say that while I haven't spoken to all 11,000 attendees, I have spoken to enough people to get a general feeling of what people want from a vegan fayre.Also, just to add to this, one of my best vegan friends is a very frequent attendee of music festivals, and she agrees that if she wants to go to a vegan event she'll go to a vegan event, if she wants a music festival she'll go to a music festival!BBPeter

Mark Twain

Hi Peter

That's exactly what I've suggested in the past...

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Sunday, November 30, 2008 7:31 PM

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab Sent: Sunday, 30 November, 2008 6:58:09 PMRe: Vegan Society Newsletter - November 2008

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv