IndiaDivine.org

Hot Basil Tofu, Pad Gra Pow

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I made this last night, kind of half from a book and half modified for vegan. Outstanding. Thai cooking likes to use basil as an ingredient rather than just a spice, and this is a great example of that style.

A couple ingredients will be hard to find for some folks so I've listed substitutes. Try your local Asian market if you are lucky enough to have one. Vegan Pad Gra Pow:1 tb. peanut oil1/2 c. each chopped onions, bell peppers, green beans (long beans if you can find them)

2 tb. sliced garlicsliced hot chile peppers or chile sauce to taste or omit (I found a jar of " Fried Chile Paste " from the Asian market, which was about the hottest stuff I've ever tasted. I used a teaspoon!)

2 tb. palm sugar (or any sweetener; however, palm sugar is a key ingredient to this type of cooking and really makes it taste authentic)1 cup cubed drained firm tofu, lightly fried beforehand to crisp it up if desired (we can buy baked tofu, which works well)

2 tb. premade Asian brown sauce (I used vegetarian mushroom sauce; hoisin would work. if unavailable, add extra 1 tb each soy sauce and sugar)2 tb. soy sauce (preferably light soy, but not " lite " meaning lo cal or lo salt...this replaces the ubiquitous fish sauce)

1 c. veg broth1 c. thai basil leaves (or regular basil)heat oil in wok over med/high heat and add veggies, garlic, sugar, and chile. stir fry for a couple minutes, then turn up heat to high and add remaining ingredients except for basil.

braise (boil) everything on high heat for a couple minutes until beans are cooked and sauce reduces. toss in basil, stir til wilted, and serve with rice. Thai cooking seeks to balance salty, sweet, spicy, and sour. This is mostly sweet and salty and the spice is up to you.

Enjoy, Blake

looks good Blake!

if it was horrible weatrher down here, i'd head out to get some ingredients

Blake Wilson Dec 15, 2008 8:14 AM Hot Basil Tofu, Pad Gra Pow

I made this last night, kind of half from a book and half modified for vegan. Outstanding. Thai cooking likes to use basil as an ingredient rather than just a spice, and this is a great example of that style. A couple ingredients will be hard to find for some folks so I've listed substitutes. Try your local Asian market if you are lucky enough to have one. Vegan Pad Gra Pow:1 tb. peanut oil1/2 c. each chopped onions, bell peppers, green beans (long beans if you can find them)2 tb. sliced garlicsliced hot chile peppers or chile sauce to taste or omit (I found a jar of "Fried Chile Paste" from the Asian market, which was about the hottest stuff I've ever tasted. I used a teaspoon!)2 tb. palm sugar (or any sweetener; however, palm sugar is a key ingredient to this type of cooking and really makes it taste authentic)1 cup cubed drained firm tofu, lightly fried beforehand to crisp it up if desired (we can buy baked tofu, which works well)2 tb. premade Asian brown sauce (I used vegetarian mushroom sauce; hoisin would work. if unavailable, add extra 1 tb each soy sauce and sugar)2 tb. soy sauce (preferably light soy, but not "lite" meaning lo cal or lo salt...this replaces the ubiquitous fish sauce)1 c. veg broth1 c. thai basil leaves (or regular basil)heat oil in wok over med/high heat and add veggies, garlic, sugar, and chile. stir fry for a couple minutes, then turn up heat to high and add remaining ingredients except for basil. braise (boil) everything on high heat for a couple minutes until beans are cooked and sauce reduces. toss in basil, stir til wilted, and serve with rice. Thai cooking seeks to balance salty, sweet, spicy, and sour. This is mostly sweet and salty and the spice is up to you. Enjoy, Blake

"Will we ever get to the point that we realize that we will be more secure when the rest of the world isn't living in poverty just so we can have nice running shoes?"

it was so good, i made it again last night and doubled the weird " fried chile paste " and it was almost too hot to eat...for my wife! I did fine. Blake On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 9:21 AM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

looks good Blake!

if it was horrible weatrher down here, i'd head out to get some ingredients

Blake Wilson Dec 15, 2008 8:14 AM

Hot Basil Tofu, Pad Gra Pow

I made this last night, kind of half from a book and half modified for vegan. Outstanding. Thai cooking likes to use basil as an ingredient rather than just a spice, and this is a great example of that style.

A couple ingredients will be hard to find for some folks so I've listed substitutes. Try your local Asian market if you are lucky enough to have one. Vegan Pad Gra Pow:1 tb. peanut oil1/2 c. each chopped onions, bell peppers, green beans (long beans if you can find them)

2 tb. sliced garlicsliced hot chile peppers or chile sauce to taste or omit (I found a jar of " Fried Chile Paste " from the Asian market, which was about the hottest stuff I've ever tasted. I used a teaspoon!)

2 tb. palm sugar (or any sweetener; however, palm sugar is a key ingredient to this type of cooking and really makes it taste authentic)1 cup cubed drained firm tofu, lightly fried beforehand to crisp it up if desired (we can buy baked tofu, which

works well)2 tb. premade Asian brown sauce (I used vegetarian mushroom sauce; hoisin would work. if unavailable, add extra 1 tb each soy sauce and sugar)2 tb. soy sauce (preferably light soy, but not " lite " meaning lo cal or lo salt...this replaces the ubiquitous fish sauce)

1 c. veg broth1 c. thai basil leaves (or regular basil)heat oil in wok over med/high heat and add veggies, garlic, sugar, and chile. stir fry for a couple minutes, then turn up heat to high and add remaining ingredients except for basil.

braise (boil) everything on high heat for a couple minutes until beans are cooked and sauce reduces. toss in basil, stir til wilted, and serve with rice. Thai cooking seeks to balance salty, sweet, spicy, and sour. This is mostly sweet and salty and the spice is up to you.

Enjoy, Blake " Will we ever get to the point that we realize that we will be more secure when the rest of the world isn't living in poverty just so we can have nice running shoes? "