Rate this topic

Guest guest

Showing entries for Category: vegan-sloppy-joes

Cheap, quick and easy recession dinner idea #5

Add a Comment

December 20, 2:12 PM

by Juliette Goodwin, Baltimore Food Examiner

« Previous

I’m not sure if this is officially the number five cheap, quick and easy recession dinner idea I have posted as the Baltimore Food Examiner, but let’s say it is and move on. You may or may not know that I am staying home with my twin two-ish year-old daughters and my hubbo is bringing home the proverbial bacon. One income is hard with two people in a family and it is really hard when four people are living on that income. This situation is not dire, but does take a good deal of creative managing of the moolah. When we sat down to look at where our money goes every month, food is the big, fat, hungry, picky elephant in the room. Most of our money goes to food. My job is to make sure we don’t run out of dinner inspiration

in the cupboard, fridge and freezer. Below is a favorite, simple dish that essentially comes out of a box and a can. Don’t poo-poo it till you try it!Vegan or Vegetarian Sloppy Joes

One package Fantastic World Foods vegetarian Sloppy Joe mix Cheese – rice, soy or regular. Melt a little on your bun Buns. Hamburger buns. Get some good, whole-wheat buns. They taste better. They are better for you. In the summertime, when tomatoes are in season and delectable, some of those chopped up on top of the Sloppy Joe goop are divine. I like to have a little salad on the side. Vegetable. I suppose steamed broccoli or another green thing would do, too.

Follow directions on package (I usually add a splash of olive oil and a small, 6oz. can of tomato paste to the to the boiling water, I believe that is close to the directions). Done and done. That was easy, no? Probably doesn’t exceed $10-15 total (including salad or green, cheese, buns), either, for 2-4 people. Not bad for a night in, and won’t clog your arteries like the ground beef version can.

http://www.examiner.com/x-253-Baltimore-Food-Examiner~topic50814-vegan-sloppy-joes

Peter vv