IndiaDivine.org

Chestnuts roasting on an open...oven? - In Denver!!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

© 2007 Peggy Trowbridge FilipponeOne of my favorite childhood memories was going to Wildlights at the Denver Zoo. The best part was never the lights, the cider, the animals. No, it was always getting a bag full of fresh roasted chestnuts. Sadly, a few years back, they started offering other delicacies, and the poor chestnuts fell by the way side, never to be munched again.

However, I'm a Colorado girl at hot, and that comes with a hint of toughness. Since I couldn't get them at the Zoo anymore, I figured out how to make them on my own.

They are super duper easy. You only need one ingredient; Chestnuts. Half a pound to be exact. You can find them right now at most large chain groceries, and also Sunflower Market and Vitamin Cottage.

Once you have 1/2lb of these chestnuts, it only gets easier. Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees. Lay out your chestnuts on the counter, and use a knife to slice a deep X into the flat side of each chestnut. Place them on a cookie sheet, and then put the sheet in the over.

Cook them for 30-40 minutes, stirring them occasionally. After taking them out, let them cool slightly. Then, peel and eat them. Voila!

That simple. A completely delicious, easy to make and 100% vegan winter snack. Plus, if you have a faux fur muff, you can put them in that to keep your hands warm, just like Samantha from American Girl. Enjoy!

Peter vv