IndiaDivine.org

Veggie Boy: Cafe Lalibela - Pheonix AZ

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Tue Dec 30, 2008 at 01:09:04 PM

A platter filled with Ethiopian entrees, as served by Cafe Lalibela in Tempe.

We hate to sound like a nagging mother, but it might be a good idea to make sure you've scrubbed up good and proper before sitting down to eat at Cafe Lalibela (849 West University Drive in Tempe, 480-829-1939). It's only because the Ethiopian restaurant requires a more of a hands-on approach to dining, literally.

For those who've never eaten at Cafe Lalibela before, here's how it works: With Ethiopian restaurants, most entrees are served comunal-style on a largish platter with a big basket of injera (a spongy, crepe-like bread made from teff flour that's native to the country) served alongside. To eat, you're encouraged to tear off large chunks of the bread and use to shovel food into your craw lieu of silverware (think Fritos Scoops, but with an east African flair).

No sir, that ain't the dinner napkins. It's a basket full of delicious injera.

And just what are you scooping up? It's a tasty combination of lentils, legumes (a.k.a. beans), vegetables, and other ingredients, all of which is compatible with the veggie crowd.

Although meat dishes are available, a good portion of Cafe Lalibela's cuisine (and the country as a whole) is naturally vegan, owing to the fact that the Ethiopian Orthodox Church requires it's flock to abstain from consuming meat and animal products during the Lent and other fasting periods throughout the year. The practical upshot for veggie types is that half of the eatery's menu consists of guilt-free eats.

A good choice if you've never been to the restaurant before is the "Vegetable Combination," which is a sampler tray of sorts featuring separate piles of such entrees as the spicy azifah (cooked lentils mixed with jalepeno bits and diced onions), or fosolia (a tangy combo of green beans, carrots, and scallions).

Although some of the entrees are entirely flavorful (the tikil gomen made from cabbage and potatoes was somewhat bland), the highlight of the platter is definitely the wat. It's a arromatic Ethiopina staple food consisting from various lentils that have been simmered in stew-like fashion. The misir wat is somewhat piquant, as it's prepared in herbs and hot sauce. Your tounge will definitely get a little warm, but no more than it would after taking a bite of medium salsa.

And while you'll have to order it as a side dish (as it doesn't come with the "Vegetable Combination") definitely try the shiro wat. It's cooked up from a mix of ground garbanzos and peas flavored with dashes of berbere, garlic, and ginger. Believe us, you'll dig it.

2 Comments:

David SB says:

Cafe LaLibela has been consistenly excellent for a decade. After a shaky start at 19th Ave & Dunlap, the move to Tempe provided a better location and a boost in visibility. I had been missing Ethiopian food for the first decade of my 20-year residence in Phoenix, but LaLibela has kept me satisfied since it arrived.

Posted at: December 30, 2008 2:40 PM

April A says:

This article and that photo is torture for this vegan ex-Phoenician. There is no place quite like Cafe LaLibela for a homemade vegan meal. Possibly some of the best vegan food in the country!!! My mouth is watering now..thanks a lot!xoxo

Posted at: December 30, 2008 3:03 PM

Peter vv

i always run out of the flat breads when eating indian or ethiopian dishes....sit there staring at my plate of dal or gomen until i can wave down a server and ask "please, may i have some more??" in my best oliver twist voice....

Peter VV Dec 31, 2008 12:45 AM Re: Veggie Boy: Cafe Lalibela - Pheonix AZ

Tue Dec 30, 2008 at 01:09:04 PM

A platter filled with Ethiopian entrees, as served by Cafe Lalibela in Tempe.

We hate to sound like a nagging mother, but it might be a good idea to make sure you've scrubbed up good and proper before sitting down to eat at Cafe Lalibela (849 West University Drive in Tempe, 480-829-1939). It's only because the Ethiopian restaurant requires a more of a hands-on approach to dining, literally.

For those who've never eaten at Cafe Lalibela before, here's how it works: With Ethiopian restaurants, most entrees are served comunal-style on a largish platter with a big basket of injera (a spongy, crepe-like bread made from teff flour that's native to the country) served alongside. To eat, you're encouraged to tear off large chunks of the bread and use to shovel food into your craw lieu of silverware (think Fritos Scoops, but with an east African flair).

No sir, that ain't the dinner napkins. It's a basket full of delicious injera.

And just what are you scooping up? It's a tasty combination of lentils, legumes (a.k.a. beans), vegetables, and other ingredients, all of which is compatible with the veggie crowd.

Although meat dishes are available, a good portion of Cafe Lalibela's cuisine (and the country as a whole) is naturally vegan, owing to the fact that the Ethiopian Orthodox Church requires it's flock to abstain from consuming meat and animal products during the Lent and other fasting periods throughout the year. The practical upshot for veggie types is that half of the eatery's menu consists of guilt-free eats.

A good choice if you've never been to the restaurant before is the "Vegetable Combination," which is a sampler tray of sorts featuring separate piles of such entrees as the spicy azifah (cooked lentils mixed with jalepeno bits and diced onions), or fosolia (a tangy combo of green beans, carrots, and scallions).

Although some of the entrees are entirely flavorful (the tikil gomen made from cabbage and potatoes was somewhat bland), the highlight of the platter is definitely the wat. It's a arromatic Ethiopina staple food consisting from various lentils that have been simmered in stew-like fashion. The misir wat is somewhat piquant, as it's prepared in herbs and hot sauce. Your tounge will definitely get a little warm, but no more than it would after taking a bite of medium salsa.

And while you'll have to order it as a side dish (as it doesn't come with the "Vegetable Combination") definitely try the shiro wat. It's cooked up from a mix of ground garbanzos and peas flavored with dashes of berbere, garlic, and ginger. Believe us, you'll dig it.

2 Comments:

David SB says:

Cafe LaLibela has been consistenly excellent for a decade. After a shaky start at 19th Ave & Dunlap, the move to Tempe provided a better location and a boost in visibility. I had been missing Ethiopian food for the first decade of my 20-year residence in Phoenix, but LaLibela has kept me satisfied since it arrived.

Posted at: December 30, 2008 2:40 PM

April A says:

This article and that photo is torture for this vegan ex-Phoenician. There is no place quite like Cafe LaLibela for a homemade vegan meal. Possibly some of the best vegan food in the country!!! My mouth is watering now..thanks a lot!xoxo

Posted at: December 30, 2008 3:03 PM

Peter vv

"Will we ever get to the point that we realize that we will be more secure when the rest of the world isn't living in poverty just so we can have nice running shoes?"