IndiaDivine.org

Organic wine match of the day: Pircas Negras Malbec

Rate this topic

Guest guest

What would Jesus drink? Hey, I grew up loving the gospel stories as much as anyone, and I distinctly remember the one where rich men were cited as having as much chance of getting into heaven as a camel through the eye of a needle. And no, I don’t think he was speaking in euphenisms (the “eye†was not a city gate a dude can drive his money laden truck through).

Then there is that wedding in Cana, where wine suddenly reappeared to make the party a success. No, you beer and saké lovers, the vino the gospel writers wrote about did not refer to the fermented fruit of grains. There is plenty of archeological evidence that folks along the Mediterranean cultivated grapes and drank the resulting wines a good 8,000 years (if not longer) before Jesus; and so it was definitely wine wine (the same as what we drink today) they were talking about.

But if you take these stories to heart, you almost have to draw the logical conclusion: Jesus thought wine should be plentiful, probably very good (would Jesus turn water into bad wine?), and definitely available for the enjoyment of the common (i.e. moolah pressed) man.

Would Jesus drink organic? I wouldn’t go so far, but I have to say that if anything fits the criteria of being democratically priced yet good enough to make any party swing, it might be something like the 2008 Pircas Negras Malbec, imported by Organic Vintners from Argentina. Even if it is organically grown and qualifies as vegan. Why? Because it is totally smooth and delicious (drinkability: check) and almost stupidly well priced (at about $10, affordability: check).

As Argentine Malbecs go, the Pircas Negras has a typically big nose, bursting at the seams with ripe, brambly, raspberry/blackberry fruitiness; the feel is snappy and medium in weight (not light, not heavy), driving the luscious fruit qualities towards a lip smacking finish like a camel through… well, you get the picture.

What would I eat with a smooth but sturdy Malbec like the Pircas Negras? This is a good Monday night wine for a Monday night meal: a saddle scented, cumin laced ground bison chili with Hebrew National dogs on buns, topped with cheddar, sides of chips (dig this roasted red pepper dip that brings out allspiced plummy notes of a Malbec). Whatever you do, K.I.S.S., because some things in life just go without saying.

WINE BASICS #13: How is wine properly tasted (part 2)?

After swirling wine in the glass, it’s time to concentrate on smell. As you bring your nose to the rim of the glass, open your mind up to what it reminds you of. Chardonnays, as we mentioned, are usually reminiscent of apples, and Cabernet Sauvignons of dark fruits like blackcurrant and berries, often with a little bit of mint or eucalyptus. Discerning wine aromas is not an affectation! Simply put, if you can’t smell wine then you really can’t taste it, since flavor is related directly to smell.

Then it’s time to actually sip, which for wine entails discovering how the natural elements of alcohol, acidity, and (for red wine) tannin come together with the aromas to create a pleasant (hopefully!) flavor as the wine is swallowed…

What are the differences between organic and organically grown wines, and what makes a wine biodynamic or vegan? For the lowdown without the gibberish, visit Organic Wines You Can Sink Your Teeth Into.

Peter vv

Ha, I like the recommendation to drink this fine vegan wine with bison chili and Hebrew National hot dogs. Funny. Blake On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

What would Jesus drink? Hey, I grew up loving the gospel stories as much as anyone, and I distinctly remember the one where rich men were cited as having as much chance of getting into heaven as a camel through the eye of a needle. And no, I don't think he was speaking in euphenisms (the "eye" was not a city gate a dude can drive his money laden truck through).

Then there is that wedding in Cana, where wine suddenly reappeared to make the party a success. No, you beer and saké lovers, the vino the gospel writers wrote about did not refer to the fermented fruit of grains. There is plenty of archeological evidence that folks along the Mediterranean cultivated grapes and drank the resulting wines a good 8,000 years (if not longer) before Jesus; and so it was definitely wine wine (the same as what we drink today) they were talking about.

But if you take these stories to heart, you almost have to draw the logical conclusion: Jesus thought wine should be plentiful, probably very good (would Jesus turn water into bad wine?), and definitely available for the enjoyment of the common (i.e. moolah pressed) man.

Would Jesus drink organic? I wouldn't go so far, but I have to say that if anything fits the criteria of being democratically priced yet good enough to make any party swing, it might be something like the 2008 Pircas Negras Malbec, imported by Organic Vintners from Argentina. Even if it is organically grown and qualifies as vegan. Why? Because it is totally smooth and delicious (drinkability: check) and almost stupidly well priced (at about $10, affordability: check).

As Argentine Malbecs go, the Pircas Negras has a typically big nose, bursting at the seams with ripe, brambly, raspberry/blackberry fruitiness; the feel is snappy and medium in weight (not light, not heavy), driving the luscious fruit qualities towards a lip smacking finish like a camel through… well, you get the picture.

What would I eat with a smooth but sturdy Malbec like the Pircas Negras? This is a good Monday night wine for a Monday night meal: a saddle scented, cumin laced ground bison chili with Hebrew National dogs on buns, topped with cheddar, sides of chips (dig this roasted red pepper dip that brings out allspiced plummy notes of a Malbec). Whatever you do, K.I.S.S., because some things in life just go without saying.

WINE BASICS #13: How is wine properly tasted (part 2)?

After swirling wine in the glass, it's time to concentrate on smell. As you bring your nose to the rim of the glass, open your mind up to what it reminds you of. Chardonnays, as we mentioned, are usually reminiscent of apples, and Cabernet Sauvignons of dark fruits like blackcurrant and berries, often with a little bit of mint or eucalyptus. Discerning wine aromas is not an affectation! Simply put, if you can't smell wine then you really can't taste it, since flavor is related directly to smell.

Then it's time to actually sip, which for wine entails discovering how the natural elements of alcohol, acidity, and (for red wine) tannin come together with the aromas to create a pleasant (hopefully!) flavor as the wine is swallowed…

What are the differences between organic and organically grown wines, and what makes a wine biodynamic or vegan? For the lowdown without the gibberish, visit Organic Wines You Can Sink Your Teeth Into.

Peter vv