Guest guest

A little while back there was a posting about Braised Tofu. While I

didn't find an exact recipe for braised tofu, I did find one for

broiled tofu that uses a braising sauce, so I thought I'd share. It's

from Veganomicon (p126).

Braising Sauce:

1/4 c water

2 cloves garlic, minced

3 tbsp fresh lemon juice (juice of 1 lemon)

2 tbsp soy sauce

A spray bottle of olive oil or 1 scant teaspoon olive oil

Preheat the oven to broil.

Cut the tofu into triangles, like so: Slice widthwise into four equal

slices. Cut each of those slices in half, widthwise, so that you have

eight squares. Lastly, cut each of those squares in half diagonally to

make sixteen triangles.

Mix all ingredients for the braising sauce together in a small bowl.

When the broiler is good and hot, spray a thin layer of olive oil on

the bottom of an oven-safe pan or small rimmed baking sheet. If you

don't have a spray bottle, spread olive oil on sheet/pan using a paper

towel.

Dip each piece of tofu in the braising liquid and place in pan. Put

the pan in the oven and cook for about 10 min., until the tofu is

lightly browned. Remove the pan and pour a few spoonfuls of braising

liquid over the tofu (no need to turn it). Put back in the oven for 3

more min., then repeat with the remaining braising liquid. Cook for

about 3 more min. - at this point the tofu should be golden brown.

Remove form oven and serve.

My husband and I intent to try this one, but haven't yet. If you try

it, I'd be curious to know what you think of it.

Enjoy!

Debra

thanx for sharing Debra!

dadiemert Jan 24, 2009 11:17 AM Basic Broiled Tofu w/Braising Sauce

A little while back there was a posting about Braised Tofu. While Ididn't find an exact recipe for braised tofu, I did find one forbroiled tofu that uses a braising sauce, so I thought I'd share. It'sfrom Veganomicon (p126).Braising Sauce:1/4 c water2 cloves garlic, minced3 tbsp fresh lemon juice (juice of 1 lemon)2 tbsp soy sauceA spray bottle of olive oil or 1 scant teaspoon olive oilPreheat the oven to broil.Cut the tofu into triangles, like so: Slice widthwise into four equalslices. Cut each of those slices in half, widthwise, so that you haveeight squares. Lastly, cut each of those squares in half diagonally tomake sixteen triangles.Mix all ingredients for the braising sauce together in a small bowl.When the broiler is good and hot, spray a thin layer of olive oil onthe bottom of an oven-safe pan or small rimmed baking sheet. If youdon't have a spray bottle, spread olive oil on sheet/pan using a papertowel.Dip each piece of tofu in the braising liquid and place in pan. Putthe pan in the oven and cook for about 10 min., until the tofu islightly browned. Remove the pan and pour a few spoonfuls of braisingliquid over the tofu (no need to turn it). Put back in the oven for 3more min., then repeat with the remaining braising liquid. Cook forabout 3 more min. - at this point the tofu should be golden brown. Remove form oven and serve.My husband and I intent to try this one, but haven't yet. If you tryit, I'd be curious to know what you think of it.Enjoy!Debra

"Will we ever get to the point that we realize that we will be more secure when the rest of the world isn't living in poverty just so we can have nice running shoes?"

yeah, looks cool. don't like that plain ol' tofus. blake On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 5:39 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

thanx for sharing Debra!

dadiemert Jan 24, 2009 11:17 AM

Basic Broiled Tofu w/Braising Sauce

A little while back there was a posting about Braised Tofu. While Ididn't find an exact recipe for braised tofu, I did find one forbroiled tofu that uses a braising sauce, so I thought I'd share. It's

from Veganomicon (p126).Braising Sauce:1/4 c water2 cloves garlic, minced3 tbsp fresh lemon juice (juice of 1 lemon)2 tbsp soy sauceA spray bottle of olive oil or 1 scant teaspoon olive oil

Preheat the oven to broil.Cut the tofu into triangles, like so: Slice widthwise into four equalslices. Cut each of those slices in half, widthwise, so that you haveeight squares. Lastly, cut each of those squares in half diagonally to

make sixteen triangles.Mix all ingredients for the braising sauce together in a small bowl.When the broiler is good and hot, spray a thin layer of olive oil onthe bottom of an oven-safe pan or small rimmed baking sheet. If you

don't have a spray bottle, spread olive oil on sheet/p

an using a papertowel.Dip each piece of tofu in the braising liquid and place in pan. Putthe pan in the oven and cook for about 10 min., until the tofu islightly browned. Remove the pan and pour a few spoonfuls of braising

liquid over the tofu (no need to turn it). Put back in the oven for 3more min., then repeat with the remaining braising liquid. Cook forabout 3 more min. - at this point the tofu should be golden brown. Remove form oven and serve.

My husband and I intent to try this one, but haven't yet. If you tryit, I'd be curious to know what you think of it.Enjoy!Debra " Will we ever get to the point that we realize that we will be more secure when the rest of the world isn't living in poverty just so we can have nice running shoes? "

lil ol me on the other hand, i can't resist tossing chunks of tofu in my gob when i'm cooking/making dinner...

Blake Wilson Jan 24, 2009 8:19 PM Re: Basic Broiled Tofu w/Braising Sauce

yeah, looks cool. don't like that plain ol' tofus. blake

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 5:39 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

thanx for sharing Debra!

dadiemert Jan 24, 2009 11:17 AM Basic Broiled Tofu w/Braising Sauce

A little while back there was a posting about Braised Tofu. While Ididn't find an exact recipe for braised tofu, I did find one forbroiled tofu that uses a braising sauce, so I thought I'd share. It'sfrom Veganomicon (p126).Braising Sauce:1/4 c water2 cloves garlic, minced3 tbsp fresh lemon juice (juice of 1 lemon)2 tbsp soy sauceA spray bottle of olive oil or 1 scant teaspoon olive oilPreheat the oven to broil.Cut the tofu into triangles, like so: Slice widthwise into four equalslices. Cut each of those slices in half, widthwise, so that you haveeight squares. Lastly, cut each of those squares in half diagonally tomake sixteen triangles.Mix all ingredients for the braising sauce together in a small bowl.When the broiler is good and hot, spray a thin layer of olive oil onthe bottom of an oven-safe pan or small rimmed baking sheet. If youdon't have a spray bottle, spread olive oil on sheet/p an using a papertowel.Dip each piece of tofu in the braising liquid and place in pan. Putthe pan in the oven and cook for about 10 min., until the tofu islightly browned. Remove the pan and pour a few spoonfuls of braisingliquid over the tofu (no need to turn it). Put back in the oven for 3more min., then repeat with the remaining braising liquid. Cook forabout 3 more min. - at this point the tofu should be golden brown. Remove form oven and serve.My husband and I intent to try this one, but haven't yet. If you tryit, I'd be curious to know what you think of it.Enjoy!Debra"Will we ever get to the point that we realize that we will be more secure when the rest of the world isn't living in poverty just so we can have nice running shoes?"

"Will we ever get to the point that we realize that we will be more secure when the rest of the world isn't living in poverty just so we can have nice running shoes?"

Even though I was raised vegetarian, I didn't taste tofu until just a

few years ago and I'm in my thirties. It tasted like paper to me. like

nothing. it had no flavor.

The truth is, I didn't know how to cook it. I still don't eat it that

often, but maybe I should experiment more.

When I first started trying to use tofu (and I don't cook much, so my cooking skills are minimal), I made a "tofu scramble." (I still make it--it's easy! lol) I chop whatever veggies I have around, like onions, bell peppers, zucchini, celery, greens, etc. I put a little oil in the frying pan & heat it up, then dump in the "harder" veggies (like onions and peppers) and let them cook at a moderate temp & soften up a bit. While that's cooking, I drain & cut the tofu into small chunks. (You have to get the excess water out before using the tofu. I often use the "silken" kind that is in the boxes stored on the shelf, not the fridge type that has tons of water, since it's easy to squeeze out the minimal water in the silken kind.) When the veggies have softened I add the tofu chunks to the pan.After I add the tofu, I dump in a bunch

of salsa to add flavor. (Tofu is very bland, and soaks up whatever flavors are added to it.)I let it all cook for a bit, then dump in some greens, let them soften/wilt, and voila! I usually have some whole grain bread with it.It makes a fair amount the way I make it, so I have leftovers. :-)I'm using recipes now & experimenting with the fridge-type tofu (firm, extra firm, in the tubs of water). Sue--- On Sun, 1/25/09, flower child <zurumato wrote:flower child <zurumato Re: Basic Broiled Tofu w/Braising Sauce Date: Sunday, January 25, 2009, 10:37 AM

Even though I was raised vegetarian, I didn't taste tofu until just a

few years ago and I'm in my thirties. It tasted like paper to me. like

nothing. it had no flavor.

The truth is, I didn't know how to cook it. I still don't eat it that

often, but maybe I should experiment more.

silken huh? i personally don't like silken for scrambles..too soft...consistency is all wrong. andi would hazard to guess that silken actually has more water in it then "water packed" firm tofu...but, just a guess

but, to each their own!

:)

we had a scramble this morn, ..Soy Deli Organic Firm Nigiri Tofu, with red and green bell peppers, garlic, chives, etc...nummy,,,

(unfortunately Soy Deli had that Listeria scare a couple years back...)

we generally use organic soy deli form tofu, organic wild wood firm tofu, or a hodo firm tofu blocks, which AFAIK can only be found at several farmer's markets.

use to adore Small Planet's tofu's as welkl (their garlic & herb blocks where extrememly nummy), but haven't seen them around locally for the last two yrs.

fraggle

Sue 3334 Jan 25, 2009 11:52 AM Re: Re: Basic Broiled Tofu w/Braising Sauce

When I first started trying to use tofu (and I don't cook much, so my cooking skills are minimal), I made a "tofu scramble." (I still make it--it's easy! lol) I chop whatever veggies I have around, like onions, bell peppers, zucchini, celery, greens, etc. I put a little oil in the frying pan & heat it up, then dump in the "harder" veggies (like onions and peppers) and let them cook at a moderate temp & soften up a bit. While that's cooking, I drain & cut the tofu into small chunks. (You have to get the excess water out before using the tofu. I often use the "silken" kind that is in the boxes stored on the shelf, not the fridge type that has tons of water, since it's easy to squeeze out the minimal water in the silken kind.) When the veggies have softened I add the tofu chunks to the pan.After I add the tofu, I dump in a bunch of salsa to add flavor. (Tofu is very bland, and soaks up whatever flavors are added to it.)I let it all cook for a bit, then dump in some greens, let them soften/wilt, and voila! I usually have some whole grain bread with it.It makes a fair amount the way I make it, so I have leftovers. :-)I'm using recipes now & experimenting with the fridge-type tofu (firm, extra firm, in the tubs of water). Sue--- On Sun, 1/25/09, flower child <zurumato (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

flower child <zurumato (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Re: Basic Broiled Tofu w/Braising Sauce Date: Sunday, January 25, 2009, 10:37 AM

Even though I was raised vegetarian, I didn't taste tofu until just a few years ago and I'm in my thirties. It tasted like paper to me. like nothing. it had no flavor. The truth is, I didn't know how to cook it. I still don't eat it that often, but maybe I should experiment more.

I hadn't tasted it until about ten or fifteen years ago - so when I was around 50, I guess. I prefer nuts, beans and lentils, but use tofu sometimes in stirfries etc.

Jo

-

flower child

Sunday, January 25, 2009 4:37 PM

Re: Basic Broiled Tofu w/Braising Sauce

Even though I was raised vegetarian, I didn't taste tofu until just a few years ago and I'm in my thirties. It tasted like paper to me. like nothing. it had no flavor. The truth is, I didn't know how to cook it. I still don't eat it that often, but maybe I should experiment more.

I had no idea what to do with tofu when I became vegan. I wasn't

vegetarian first so I didn't experiment with it before going veg. I

took an awesome cooking with tofu class and I learned so much. Since

then I haven't been as intimidated to try new things with it.

Debra

, " flower child " <zurumato wrote:

>

> Even though I was raised vegetarian, I didn't taste tofu until just a

> few years ago and I'm in my thirties. It tasted like paper to me. like

> nothing. it had no flavor.

>

> The truth is, I didn't know how to cook it. I still don't eat it that

> often, but maybe I should experiment more.

>

Why not share what you learned?

Peter vv

dadiemert <dadiemert Sent: Sunday, 25 January, 2009 10:16:38 PM Re: Basic Broiled Tofu w/Braising Sauce

I had no idea what to do with tofu when I became vegan. I wasn'tvegetarian first so I didn't experiment with it before going veg. Itook an awesome cooking with tofu class and I learned so much. Sincethen I haven't been as intimidated to try new things with it.Debra@gro ups.com, "flower child" <zurumato@.. .> wrote:>> Even though I was raised vegetarian, I didn't taste tofu until just a > few years ago and I'm in my thirties. It tasted like paper to me. like > nothing. it had no flavor. > > The truth is, I didn't know how to cook it. I still don't eat it that > often, but maybe I should experiment more.>

It's okay. I think of it as scrambled "eggs." ;-)Sue--- On Sun, 1/25/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:fraggle <EBbrewpunxRe: Re: Basic Broiled Tofu w/Braising Sauce Date: Sunday, January 25, 2009, 2:52 PM

silken huh? i personally don't like silken for scrambles..too soft...consistency is all wrong. andi would hazard to guess that silken actually has more water in it then "water packed" firm tofu...but, just a guess

but, to each their own!

we had a scramble this morn, ..Soy Deli Organic Firm Nigiri Tofu, with red and green bell peppers, garlic, chives, etc...nummy, ,,

(unfortunately Soy Deli had that Listeria scare a couple years back...)

we generally use organic soy deli form tofu, organic wild wood firm tofu, or a hodo firm tofu blocks, which AFAIK can only be found at several farmer's markets.

use to adore Small Planet's tofu's as welkl (their garlic & herb blocks where extrememly nummy), but haven't seen them around locally for the last two yrs.

fraggle

Sue 3334 Jan 25, 2009 11:52 AM @gro ups.com Re: Re: Basic Broiled Tofu w/Braising Sauce

When I first started trying to use tofu (and I don't cook much, so my cooking skills are minimal), I made a "tofu scramble." (I still make it--it's easy! lol) I chop whatever veggies I have around, like onions, bell peppers, zucchini, celery, greens, etc. I put a little oil in the frying pan & heat it up, then dump in the "harder" veggies (like onions and peppers) and let them cook at a moderate temp & soften up a bit. While that's cooking, I drain & cut the tofu into small chunks. (You have to get the excess water out before using the tofu. I often use the "silken" kind that is in the boxes stored on the shelf, not the fridge type that has tons of water, since it's easy to squeeze out the minimal water in the silken kind.) When the veggies have softened I add the tofu chunks to the pan.After I add the tofu, I dump in a bunch of salsa to add flavor. (Tofu is very bland, and soaks up whatever flavors

are added to it.)I let it all cook for a bit, then dump in some greens, let them soften/wilt, and voila! I usually have some whole grain bread with it.It makes a fair amount the way I make it, so I have leftovers. :-)I'm using recipes now & experimenting with the fridge-type tofu (firm, extra firm, in the tubs of water). Sue--- On Sun, 1/25/09, flower child <zurumato (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

flower child <zurumato (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Re: Basic Broiled Tofu w/Braising Sauce@gro ups.comSunday, January 25, 2009, 10:37 AM

Even though I was raised vegetarian, I didn't taste tofu until just a few years ago and I'm in my thirties. It tasted like paper to me. like nothing. it had no flavor. The truth is, I didn't know how to cook it. I still don't eat it that often, but maybe I should experiment more. "Will we ever get to the point that we realize that we will be more secure when the rest of the world isn't living in poverty just so we can have nice running shoes?"

Oh, that's a great idea. I'll have to check around & see if there's a class here. :-)Sue--- On Sun, 1/25/09, dadiemert <dadiemert wrote:dadiemert <dadiemert Re: Basic Broiled Tofu w/Braising Sauce Date: Sunday, January 25, 2009, 4:16 PM

I had no idea what to do with tofu when I became vegan. I wasn't

vegetarian first so I didn't experiment with it before going veg. I

took an awesome cooking with tofu class and I learned so much. Since

then I haven't been as intimidated to try new things with it.

Debra

@gro ups.com, "flower child" <zurumato@.. .> wrote:

>

> Even though I was raised vegetarian, I didn't taste tofu until just a

> few years ago and I'm in my thirties. It tasted like paper to me. like

> nothing. it had no flavor.

>

> The truth is, I didn't know how to cook it. I still don't eat it that

> often, but maybe I should experiment more.

>

she could

but then you'd know her secret, and she'd probably have to kill you

Peter VV Jan 26, 2009 9:52 AM Re: Re: Basic Broiled Tofu w/Braising Sauce

Why not share what you learned?

Peter vv

dadiemert <dadiemert > Sent: Sunday, 25 January, 2009 10:16:38 PM Re: Basic Broiled Tofu w/Braising Sauce

I had no idea what to do with tofu when I became vegan. I wasn'tvegetarian first so I didn't experiment with it before going veg. Itook an awesome cooking with tofu class and I learned so much. Sincethen I haven't been as intimidated to try new things with it.Debra@gro ups.com, "flower child" <zurumato@.. .> wrote:>> Even though I was raised vegetarian, I didn't taste tofu until just a > few years ago and I'm in my thirties. It tasted like paper to me. like > nothing. it had no flavor. > > The truth is, I didn't know how to cook it. I still don't eat it that > often, but maybe I should experiment more.>

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we.

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

--George W. Bush

Last year I had scrambled " eggs " in the form of tofu at a natural

health restaurant and it was delicious.

, Sue 3334 <sue_3334 wrote:

>

> It's okay. I think of it as scrambled " eggs. " ;-)

> Sue

>

> --- On Sun, 1/25/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

> fraggle <EBbrewpunx

> Re: Re: Basic Broiled Tofu w/Braising Sauce

from the soy deli website

Freezing & Thawing: Freezing and thawing makes the tofu more porous so that it soaks marinades and other liquids very quickly. For additional information on freezing and thawing tofu, see "Storage" in this article.

Boiling: When boiling tofu, the outside is cooked more than the inside, causing the outside edges to be a little tougher. This may be exactly what you want when using tofu as a meat alternative. A typical boiling time is 20 minutes; however, boiling it for longer or shorter periods of time certainly will not hurt it.

Pressing: Pressing tofu makes the entire block uniformly firmer. This is the technique to use if a recipe calls for firm tofu and you happen to have soft tofu in the refrigerator. To press a block of tofu, place it between towels and put a heavy weight (such as a cast iron frying pan, concrete paving blocks, or bricks) on top and let it sit for an hour or so. Storing or cooking pressed tofu in a liquid will undo the effects of the pressing.

You are not limited to just one of these techniques to change the hardness of your tofu. You can use any combination of them or all three. You can even repeat any of the techniques or combinations to really toughen up your tofu. When you go to your local health food store, you may notice a wide variety of tofus flavored with herbs. These are not what the authors of your recipe books are referring to unless, of course, they've specified a particular flavor of tofu. Feel free to try these flavored tofu treats in your own creative recipes.

Nigari/Calcium Rich/GDL (Glucono Delta Lactone)

Nigari is a natural component of sea water, primarily magnesium chloride. It is used to make Japanese style tofu. Nigari tofu are generally firmer and more tender.

Calcium Rich tofu is make with food grade gypsum, a natural earth mineral, calcium sulfate. It is traditional Chinese tofu ingredient. The Calcium Rich tofu is softer and smoother.

GDL Tofu is silken tofu. GDL is mixed with the soymilk in the tofu container. The coagulation takes place inside the tofu container. The tofu is never pressed. Therefore, silken tofu has the highest water content. This make silken tofu soft.

(for the record, GDL is generally made from fermented rice)

Freshness/QualityFresh tofu should have a mild smell when you open the package. A package of tofu should show an expiration date. Tofu that has spoiled turns moldy, is filmy to the touch, and has a sour, sharp, or biting taste and smell. Some suggest that if it only smells sour, it can still be used in many recipes other than those with very delicate flavors such as mousses and puddings. However, if it smells sour, we suggest that you just throw it away -- it's not that expensive.

StorageTofu can be purchased refrigerated and packed in water or packaged in vacuum packed plastic containers. After opening a water pack refrigerated package, drain the fluid, cut off the portion you want, and decide how you are going to store the remainder of the tofu. To maintain its store-bought texture, put it in the refrigerator. To change the tofu's texture and make it tougher (more meat-like), put it in the freezer. If you want to store it in the refrigerator (which you can do for up to 7 days), cover with fresh cool water. Replace the water daily to prevent it from getting cloudy and making a good home for bacteria. Also be sure that the tofu is completely submerged.

If you want to store it in the freezer, place the drained tofu in an airtight bag or container. The white tofu, once frozen, will turn yellow; but don't worry, when you thaw it, it will become white again. Freezing tofu drastically changes its properties. When you freeze it, thaw it, and squeeze out the water, it will have a more meaty, chewy consistency and will soak up marinades and sauces more readily than non-frozen tofu. (Other ways of changing the hardness of tofu are described in the "Varieties" section of this article.) To squeeze out the water, simply place sliced tofu between paper towels and press with the palm of your hand to remove as much water as possible, or perform the "pressing" technique described earlier. To thaw tofu quickly, microwave it on a paper towel or in a bowl. You can also boil it for 5 to 25 minutes, depending on the size of the tofu chunk. It is usually easier, however, to leave it on a plate on the kitchen counter for a few hours.

Preparing Instructions

Marinating

Marinating tofu is one of the many ways of flavoring it. When a recipe instructs you to marinate tofu and it does not tell you the tofu texture or hardness to use, we recommend using a regular firm or extra-firm tofu. If you are marinating for less than one hour, it can be done at room temperature covered with wax paper, paper towels, or a towel. However, for longer periods of time, marinating should be done in a tightly-covered container in the refrigerator to prevent bacterial growth and spoilage.

Frozen and thawed tofu absorbs marinades faster than unfrozen tofu. In fact, if the marinade is thin, you may only need to quickly dip the tofu in the sauce on each side for it to be fully absorbed into the tofu. However, if the marinade is thick, the tofu may still require several hours or even overnight to absorb the marinade fully.

Cooking

Tofu can be mashed, blended, whipped, ground, crumbled, marinated, simmered, steamed, baked, broiled, sautéed, barbecued, fried, or deep-fried. Basically, you can do anything to it. Use your imagination and creativity. Remember, tofu has very little flavor of its own, and it will pick up the flavors of the ingredients it is cooked with. Also remember that tofu can be so soft and creamy that it melts away in the dish, or so firm and leathery that it takes a bit of chewing. Choose your flavors and textures.

Tofu may not only look like a sponge, but in some cases it actually acts like a sponge. If you have gone through some time and effort to remove the water from your tofu (i.e., to make it firmer or to maximize the flavor of a marinade), don't put it back in water or other liquids such as soup stocks. The tofu "sponge" will absorb liquid and drastically dilute the marinade and return the tofu's firmness to its original state.

In a soup or stew, you can "lock-in" the flavor of a marinated tofu by first cooking it with a little oil. Deep frying, pan frying, or covering with a non-stick cooking spray and broiling are all methods that may be used. If this locking-in process is skipped, the tofu's flavors will have a tendency to be leached out by the soup or stew broth.

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

--George W. Bush

Cool. Thanks for the info!Sue--- On Mon, 1/26/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:fraggle <EBbrewpunxRe: Re: Basic Broiled Tofu w/Braising Sauce Date: Monday, January 26, 2009, 7:16 PM

from the soy deli website

Freezing & Thawing: Freezing and thawing makes the tofu more porous so that it soaks marinades and other liquids very quickly. For additional information on freezing and thawing tofu, see "Storage" in this article.

Boiling: When boiling tofu, the outside is cooked more than the inside, causing the outside edges to be a little tougher. This may be exactly what you want when using tofu as a meat alternative. A typical boiling time is 20 minutes; however, boiling it for longer or shorter periods of time certainly will not hurt it.

Pressing: Pressing tofu makes the entire block uniformly firmer. This is the technique to use if a recipe calls for firm tofu and you happen to have soft tofu in the refrigerator. To press a block of tofu, place it between towels and put a heavy weight (such as a cast iron frying pan, concrete paving blocks, or bricks) on top and let it sit for an hour or so. Storing or cooking pressed tofu in a liquid will undo the effects of the pressing.

You are not limited to just one of these techniques to change the hardness of your tofu. You can use any combination of them or all three. You can even repeat any of the techniques or combinations to really toughen up your tofu. When you go to your local health food store, you may notice a wide variety of tofus flavored with herbs. These are not what the authors of your recipe books are referring to unless, of course, they've specified a particular flavor of tofu. Feel free to try these flavored tofu treats in your own creative recipes.

Nigari/Calcium Rich/GDL (Glucono Delta Lactone)

Nigari is a natural component of sea water, primarily magnesium chloride. It is used to make Japanese style tofu. Nigari tofu are generally firmer and more tender.

Calcium Rich tofu is make with food grade gypsum, a natural earth mineral, calcium sulfate. It is traditional Chinese tofu ingredient. The Calcium Rich tofu is softer and smoother.

GDL Tofu is silken tofu. GDL is mixed with the soymilk in the tofu container. The coagulation takes place inside the tofu container. The tofu is never pressed. Therefore, silken tofu has the highest water content. This make silken tofu soft.

(for the record, GDL is generally made from fermented rice)

Freshness/QualityFresh tofu should have a mild smell when you open the package. A package of tofu should show an expiration date. Tofu that has spoiled turns moldy, is filmy to the touch, and has a sour, sharp, or biting taste and smell. Some suggest that if it only smells sour, it can still be used in many recipes other than those with very delicate flavors such as mousses and puddings. However, if it smells sour, we suggest that you just throw it away -- it's not that expensive.

StorageTofu can be purchased refrigerated and packed in water or packaged in vacuum packed plastic containers. After opening a water pack refrigerated package, drain the fluid, cut off the portion you want, and decide how you are going to store the remainder of the tofu. To maintain its store-bought texture, put it in the refrigerator. To change the tofu's texture and make it tougher (more meat-like), put it in the freezer. If you want to store it in the refrigerator (which you can do for up to 7 days), cover with fresh cool water. Replace the water daily to prevent it from getting cloudy and making a good home for bacteria. Also be sure that the tofu is completely submerged.

If you want to store it in the freezer, place the drained tofu in an airtight bag or container. The white tofu, once frozen, will turn yellow; but don't worry, when you thaw it, it will become white again. Freezing tofu drastically changes its properties. When you freeze it, thaw it, and squeeze out the water, it will have a more meaty, chewy consistency and will soak up marinades and sauces more readily than non-frozen tofu. (Other ways of changing the hardness of tofu are described in the "Varieties" section of this article.) To squeeze out the water, simply place sliced tofu between paper towels and press with the palm of your hand to remove as much water as possible, or perform the "pressing" technique described earlier. To thaw tofu quickly, microwave it on a paper towel or in a bowl. You can also boil it for 5 to 25 minutes, depending on the size of the tofu chunk. It is usually easier, however, to

leave it on a plate on the kitchen counter for a few hours.

Preparing Instructions

Marinating

Marinating tofu is one of the many ways of flavoring it. When a recipe instructs you to marinate tofu and it does not tell you the tofu texture or hardness to use, we recommend using a regular firm or extra-firm tofu. If you are marinating for less than one hour, it can be done at room temperature covered with wax paper, paper towels, or a towel. However, for longer periods of time, marinating should be done in a tightly-covered container in the refrigerator to prevent bacterial growth and spoilage.

Frozen and thawed tofu absorbs marinades faster than unfrozen tofu. In fact, if the marinade is thin, you may only need to quickly dip the tofu in the sauce on each side for it to be fully absorbed into the tofu. However, if the marinade is thick, the tofu may still require several hours or even overnight to absorb the marinade fully.

Cooking

Tofu can be mashed, blended, whipped, ground, crumbled, marinated, simmered, steamed, baked, broiled, sautéed, barbecued, fried, or deep-fried. Basically, you can do anything to it. Use your imagination and creativity. Remember, tofu has very little flavor of its own, and it will pick up the flavors of the ingredients it is cooked with. Also remember that tofu can be so soft and creamy that it melts away in the dish, or so firm and leathery that it takes a bit of chewing. Choose your flavors and textures.

Tofu may not only look like a sponge, but in some cases it actually acts like a sponge. If you have gone through some time and effort to remove the water from your tofu (i.e., to make it firmer or to maximize the flavor of a marinade), don't put it back in water or other liquids such as soup stocks. The tofu "sponge" will absorb liquid and drastically dilute the marinade and return the tofu's firmness to its original state.

In a soup or stew, you can "lock-in" the flavor of a marinated tofu by first cooking it with a little oil. Deep frying, pan frying, or covering with a non-stick cooking spray and broiling are all methods that may be used. If this locking-in process is skipped, the tofu's flavors will have a tendency to be leached out by the soup or stew broth. "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."--George W. Bush

that's why they pay me the big bucks

trigan3 Jan 28, 2009 2:39 PM Re: Basic Broiled Tofu w/Braising Sauce

At long last, the information I was looking for!!I located their website and it is a mine of information on tofu. Welldone fraggle for letting us know.The deli soy website is at:http://www.quonghop.com/whatistofu.htmThank you fraggle.trigan

--George W. Bush