IndiaDivine.org

Civet of Seitan

Rate this topic

Guest guest

from Hezbollah Tofu, where they try and out bourdain Anthony Bourdain....

Civet of Seitan

aka Turn Off CNN And Make This Immediately

8 oz seitan ( about 1 cup), cut in 1 inch cubes

2 carrots, cut in 1 -1 1/2 inch lengths

1 cup onion, sliced in 1/2 moons

1 cup leeks, sliced

4 cloves garlic, crushed

1 cup red wine

Salt and pepper

1 Tbsp olive oil (for searing)

2 Tbsp eb (for searing)

1 Tbsp flour

bouquet garni*

1/2 cup wine

1/2 cup broth

2 tsp red wine vinegar

2 tsp grated dark chocolate

Day 1: Marinade the cubes, carrots, onions, leeks and garlic in the red wine in

ziplock bag overnight.

Day2: Using a collander over a bowl, strain the liquid out. Pick out the seitan,

but keep everything else in the collander. Keep the marinade liquid in the bowl,

too. Heat the oil/eb in a large frying pan. Toss the seitan with a little salt

and pepper to season. When it's sizzling hot, sear all sides of the seitan, then

remove it and set aside. Keep the pan hot, and add the rest of the vegetables.

Turn the heat down to about medium and cook until the vegetables start to

carmelize, probably about 15- 20 minutes. Stir in the flour, cook for about 2

minutes. Stir in the 1/2 cup of wine in the second batch of ingredients and

reduce by 1/2. Add the seitan, bouquet garni, broth and reserved marinade.

Simmer for about 10 minutes or until thickened and saucy.

Now from here, the recipe sounds a little crazy. Pick out the seitan and the

carrots. Yes, really. Put them aside. Using that same collander in a bowl,

strain out the other vegetables. We're wastefully done with those. Put the

seitan, carrots and the saucy part from the bowl back in the frying pan and

heat. Stir in the vinegar and grated chocolate. When it's heated throughout,

check the seasonings and eat.

*A bouquet garni is just a fancy way of saying tie together a stalk of parsley,

2 stems of thyme and a bay leaf. Mine didn't stay together at all and it doesn't

matter because it just stays with the vegetables you throw out. So just toss

them in.

Sounds great! Speaking of civet, I saw that our local Asian market sells Kopi Luwak, the coffee made from beans that have passed through the digestive system of either wild or captive civet cats. Question: is it vegan? Is this an " animal product " ? It sure seems like it....however, all this is rendered moot by the generally disgusting idea of making coffee from this type of bean in the first place. I mean, who thought this one up? " Hey, I think it'd taste great! " ?

Blake On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 6:09 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

from Hezbollah Tofu, where they try and out bourdain Anthony Bourdain....

Civet of Seitan

aka Turn Off CNN And Make This Immediately

8 oz seitan ( about 1 cup), cut in 1 inch cubes

2 carrots, cut in 1 -1 1/2 inch lengths

1 cup onion, sliced in 1/2 moons

1 cup leeks, sliced

4 cloves garlic, crushed

1 cup red wine

Salt and pepper

1 Tbsp olive oil (for searing)

2 Tbsp eb (for searing)

1 Tbsp flour

bouquet garni*

1/2 cup wine

1/2 cup broth

2 tsp red wine vinegar

2 tsp grated dark chocolate

Day 1: Marinade the cubes, carrots, onions, leeks and garlic in the red wine in ziplock bag overnight.

Day2: Using a collander over a bowl, strain the liquid out. Pick out the seitan, but keep everything else in the collander. Keep the marinade liquid in the bowl, too. Heat the oil/eb in a large frying pan. Toss the seitan with a little salt and pepper to season. When it's sizzling hot, sear all sides of the seitan, then remove it and set aside. Keep the pan hot, and add the rest of the vegetables. Turn the heat down to about medium and cook until the vegetables start to carmelize, probably about 15- 20 minutes. Stir in the flour, cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in the 1/2 cup of wine in the second batch of ingredients and reduce by 1/2. Add the seitan, bouquet garni, broth and reserved marinade. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until thickened and saucy.

Now from here, the recipe sounds a little crazy. Pick out the seitan and the carrots. Yes, really. Put them aside. Using that same collander in a bowl, strain out the other vegetables. We're wastefully done with those. Put the seitan, carrots and the saucy part from the bowl back in the frying pan and heat. Stir in the vinegar and grated chocolate. When it's heated throughout, check the seasonings and eat.

*A bouquet garni is just a fancy way of saying tie together a stalk of parsley, 2 stems of thyme and a bay leaf. Mine didn't stay together at all and it doesn't matter because it just stays with the vegetables you throw out. So just toss them in.

How could it be vegan?, the animals would have to be kept captive, and as such it would be exploitation, therefore non-vegan.

Why not try the human version on yourself?...:-)

Peter vv

Blake Wilson <mbw Sent: Friday, 30 January, 2009 5:47:06 PMRe: Civet of Seitan

Sounds great! Speaking of civet, I saw that our local Asian market sells Kopi Luwak, the coffee made from beans that have passed through the digestive system of either wild or captive civet cats. Question: is it vegan? Is this an "animal product"? It sure seems like it....however, all this is rendered moot by the generally disgusting idea of making coffee from this type of bean in the first place. I mean, who thought this one up? "Hey, I think it'd taste great!"? Blake

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 6:09 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net> wrote:

from Hezbollah Tofu, where they try and out bourdain Anthony Bourdain....Civet of Seitanaka Turn Off CNN And Make This Immediately8 oz seitan ( about 1 cup), cut in 1 inch cubes2 carrots, cut in 1 -1 1/2 inch lengths1 cup onion, sliced in 1/2 moons1 cup leeks, sliced4 cloves garlic, crushed1 cup red wineSalt and pepper1 Tbsp olive oil (for searing)2 Tbsp eb (for searing)1 Tbsp flourbouquet garni*1/2 cup wine1/2 cup broth2 tsp red wine vinegar2 tsp grated dark chocolateDay 1: Marinade the cubes, carrots, onions, leeks and garlic in the red wine in ziplock bag overnight.Day2: Using a collander over a bowl, strain the liquid out. Pick out the seitan, but keep everything else in the collander. Keep the marinade liquid in the bowl, too. Heat the oil/eb in a large frying pan. Toss the seitan with a little salt and pepper to season. When it's sizzling hot,

sear all sides of the seitan, then remove it and set aside. Keep the pan hot, and add the rest of the vegetables. Turn the heat down to about medium and cook until the vegetables start to carmelize, probably about 15- 20 minutes. Stir in the flour, cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in the 1/2 cup of wine in the second batch of ingredients and reduce by 1/2. Add the seitan, bouquet garni, broth and reserved marinade. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until thickened and saucy.Now from here, the recipe sounds a little crazy. Pick out the seitan and the carrots. Yes, really. Put them aside. Using that same collander in a bowl, strain out the other vegetables. We're wastefully done with those. Put the seitan, carrots and the saucy part from the bowl back in the frying pan and heat. Stir in the vinegar and grated chocolate. When it's heated throughout, check the seasonings and eat.*A bouquet garni is just a fancy way of saying tie together a stalk

of parsley, 2 stems of thyme and a bay leaf. Mine didn't stay together at all and it doesn't matter because it just stays with the vegetables you throw out. So just toss them in.

Apparently, some of the stuff is made from wild civets, hence no exploitation, but it sure seems like its an " animal product " , doesn't it? Lots of cultures use cow dung for fuel that is collected from roaming animals. I don't think that's exploitation, but is it vegan? If I find an eagle feather and stick in it my cap, is it vegan? What if I eat it?

What if I walk along a road that was originally plowed and paved by ox team? What if I sleep on a pillow at a friend's house that is filled with duck down?What if I ride a camel up a mountain of sand at sunrise in southeastern Morocco and watch the sun rise over Algeria?

How many angels can dance.....well, maybe they are not purely rhetorical questions, but as Fraggle recently said, it's quite possible in this day and age that no one is " vegan " . Blake

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

How could it be vegan?, the animals would have to be kept captive, and as such it would be exploitation, therefore non-vegan.

Peter vv

Blake Wilson <mbw

Friday, 30 January, 2009 5:47:06 PMRe: Civet of Seitan

Sounds great! Speaking of civet, I saw that our local Asian market sells Kopi Luwak, the coffee made from beans that have passed through the digestive system of either wild or captive civet cats.

Question: is it vegan? Is this an " animal product " ? It sure seems like it....however, all this is rendered moot by the generally disgusting idea of making coffee from this type of bean in the first place. I mean, who thought this one up? " Hey, I think it'd taste great! " ?

Blake

from Hezbollah Tofu, where they try and out bourdain Anthony Bourdain....Civet of Seitanaka Turn Off CNN And Make This Immediately8 oz seitan ( about 1 cup), cut in 1 inch cubes2 carrots, cut in 1 -1 1/2 inch lengths

1 cup onion, sliced in 1/2 moons1 cup leeks, sliced4 cloves garlic, crushed1 cup red wineSalt and pepper1 Tbsp olive oil (for searing)2 Tbsp eb (for searing)1 Tbsp flourbouquet garni*

1/2 cup wine1/2 cup broth2 tsp red wine vinegar2 tsp grated dark chocolateDay 1: Marinade the cubes, carrots, onions, leeks and garlic in the red wine in ziplock bag overnight.Day2: Using a collander over a bowl, strain the liquid out. Pick out the seitan, but keep everything else in the collander. Keep the marinade liquid in the bowl, too. Heat the oil/eb in a large frying pan. Toss the seitan with a little salt and pepper to season. When it's sizzling hot,

sear all sides of the seitan, then remove it and set aside. Keep the pan hot, and add the rest of the vegetables. Turn the heat down to about medium and cook until the vegetables start to carmelize, probably about 15- 20 minutes. Stir in the flour, cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in the 1/2 cup of wine in the second batch of ingredients and reduce by 1/2. Add the seitan, bouquet garni, broth and reserved marinade. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until thickened and saucy.

Now from here, the recipe sounds a little crazy. Pick out the seitan and the carrots. Yes, really. Put them aside. Using that same collander in a bowl, strain out the other vegetables. We're wastefully done with those. Put the seitan, carrots and the saucy part from the bowl back in the frying pan and heat. Stir in the vinegar and grated chocolate. When it's heated throughout, check the seasonings and eat.

*A bouquet garni is just a fancy way of saying tie together a stalk

of parsley, 2 stems of thyme and a bay leaf. Mine didn't stay together at all and it doesn't matter because it just stays with the vegetables you throw out. So just toss them in.

plus , how many microbes/bacteria you killed today?

Peter vv

Blake Wilson <mbw Sent: Friday, 30 January, 2009 6:50:34 PMRe: Civet of Seitan

Apparently, some of the stuff is made from wild civets, hence no exploitation, but it sure seems like its an "animal product", doesn't it? Lots of cultures use cow dung for fuel that is collected from roaming animals. I don't think that's exploitation, but is it vegan? If I find an eagle feather and stick in it my cap, is it vegan? What if I eat it?What if I walk along a road that was originally plowed and paved by ox team? What if I sleep on a pillow at a friend's house that is filled with duck down?What if I ride a camel up a mountain of sand at sunrise in southeastern Morocco and watch the sun rise over Algeria?How many angels can dance.....well, maybe they are not purely rhetorical questions, but as Fraggle recently said, it's quite possible in this day and age that no one is "vegan". Blake

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> wrote:

Why not try the human version on yourself?... :-)

Peter vv

Blake Wilson <mbw@gro ups.comFriday, 30 January, 2009 5:47:06 PMRe: Civet of Seitan

Sounds great! Speaking of civet, I saw that our local Asian market sells Kopi Luwak, the coffee made from beans that have passed through the digestive system of either wild or captive civet cats. Question: is it vegan? Is this an "animal product"? It sure seems like it....however, all this is rendered moot by the generally disgusting idea of making coffee from this type of bean in the first place. I mean, who thought this one up? "Hey, I think it'd taste great!"? Blake

from Hezbollah Tofu, where they try and out bourdain Anthony Bourdain....Civet of Seitanaka Turn Off CNN And Make This Immediately8 oz seitan ( about 1 cup), cut in 1 inch cubes2 carrots, cut in 1 -1 1/2 inch lengths1 cup onion, sliced in 1/2 moons1 cup leeks, sliced4 cloves garlic, crushed1 cup red wineSalt and pepper1 Tbsp olive oil (for searing)2 Tbsp eb (for searing)1 Tbsp flourbouquet garni*1/2 cup wine1/2 cup broth2 tsp red wine vinegar2 tsp grated dark chocolateDay 1: Marinade the cubes, carrots, onions, leeks and garlic in the red wine in ziplock bag overnight.Day2: Using a collander over a bowl, strain the liquid out. Pick out the seitan, but keep everything else in the collander. Keep the marinade liquid in the bowl, too. Heat the oil/eb in a large frying pan. Toss the seitan with a little salt and pepper to season. When it's sizzling hot,

sear all sides of the seitan, then remove it and set aside. Keep the pan hot, and add the rest of the vegetables. Turn the heat down to about medium and cook until the vegetables start to carmelize, probably about 15- 20 minutes. Stir in the flour, cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in the 1/2 cup of wine in the second batch of ingredients and reduce by 1/2. Add the seitan, bouquet garni, broth and reserved marinade. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until thickened and saucy.Now from here, the recipe sounds a little crazy. Pick out the seitan and the carrots. Yes, really. Put them aside. Using that same collander in a bowl, strain out the other vegetables. We're wastefully done with those. Put the seitan, carrots and the saucy part from the bowl back in the frying pan and heat. Stir in the vinegar and grated chocolate. When it's heated throughout, check the seasonings and eat.*A bouquet garni is just a fancy way of saying tie together a stalk

bacteria aren't animals, ergo, its ok

wahahahahahhahaa

Peter VV Jan 30, 2009 11:56 AM Re: Civet of Seitan

Peter vv

Blake Wilson <mbw Sent: Friday, 30 January, 2009 6:50:34 PMRe: Civet of Seitan

Apparently, some of the stuff is made from wild civets, hence no exploitation, but it sure seems like its an "animal product", doesn't it? Lots of cultures use cow dung for fuel that is collected from roaming animals. I don't think that's exploitation, but is it vegan? If I find an eagle feather and stick in it my cap, is it vegan? What if I eat it?What if I walk along a road that was originally plowed and paved by ox team? What if I sleep on a pillow at a friend's house that is filled with duck down?What if I ride a camel up a mountain of sand at sunrise in southeastern Morocco and watch the sun rise over Algeria?How many angels can dance.....well, maybe they are not purely rhetorical questions, but as Fraggle recently said, it's quite possible in this day and age that no one is "vegan". Blake

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> wrote:

Peter vv

Blake Wilson <mbw@gro ups.comFriday, 30 January, 2009 5:47:06 PMRe: Civet of Seitan

from Hezbollah Tofu, where they try and out bourdain Anthony Bourdain....Civet of Seitanaka Turn Off CNN And Make This Immediately8 oz seitan ( about 1 cup), cut in 1 inch cubes2 carrots, cut in 1 -1 1/2 inch lengths1 cup onion, sliced in 1/2 moons1 cup leeks, sliced4 cloves garlic, crushed1 cup red wineSalt and pepper1 Tbsp olive oil (for searing)2 Tbsp eb (for searing)1 Tbsp flourbouquet garni*1/2 cup wine1/2 cup broth2 tsp red wine vinegar2 tsp grated dark chocolateDay 1: Marinade the cubes, carrots, onions, leeks and garlic in the red wine in ziplock bag overnight.Day2: Using a collander over a bowl, strain the liquid out. Pick out the seitan, but keep everything else in the collander. Keep the marinade liquid in the bowl, too. Heat the oil/eb in a large frying pan. Toss the seitan with a little salt and pepper to season. When it's sizzling hot, sear all sides of the seitan, then remove it and set aside. Keep the pan hot, and add the rest of the vegetables. Turn the heat down to about medium and cook until the vegetables start to carmelize, probably about 15- 20 minutes. Stir in the flour, cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in the 1/2 cup of wine in the second batch of ingredients and reduce by 1/2. Add the seitan, bouquet garni, broth and reserved marinade. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until thickened and saucy.Now from here, the recipe sounds a little crazy. Pick out the seitan and the carrots. Yes, really. Put them aside. Using that same collander in a bowl, strain out the other vegetables. We're wastefully done with those. Put the seitan, carrots and the saucy part from the bowl back in the frying pan and heat. Stir in the vinegar and grated chocolate. When it's heated throughout, check the seasonings and eat.*A bouquet garni is just a fancy way of saying tie together a stalk of parsley, 2 stems of thyme and a bay leaf. Mine didn't stay together at all and it doesn't matter because it just stays with the vegetables you throw out. So just toss them in.

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we.

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

--George W. Bush

most of it is wild harvested (i acutally read a book on it last year) (folks right books about EVERYTHING!)..

but, no it's not vegan..as it comes from an animal...

tho, i assume nowadays since its gotten so much hype, there are cages full of civets being fed raw coffee berries in indonesia....

Peter VV Jan 30, 2009 9:56 AM Re: Civet of Seitan

Peter vv

from Hezbollah Tofu, where they try and out bourdain Anthony Bourdain....Civet of Seitanaka Turn Off CNN And Make This Immediately8 oz seitan ( about 1 cup), cut in 1 inch cubes2 carrots, cut in 1 -1 1/2 inch lengths1 cup onion, sliced in 1/2 moons1 cup leeks, sliced4 cloves garlic, crushed1 cup red wineSalt and pepper1 Tbsp olive oil (for searing)2 Tbsp eb (for searing)1 Tbsp flourbouquet garni*1/2 cup wine1/2 cup broth2 tsp red wine vinegar2 tsp grated dark chocolateDay 1: Marinade the cubes, carrots, onions, leeks and garlic in the red wine in ziplock bag overnight.Day2: Using a collander over a bowl, strain the liquid out. Pick out the seitan, but keep everything else in the collander. Keep the marinade liquid in the bowl, too. Heat the oil/eb in a large frying pan. Toss the seitan with a little salt and pepper to season. When it's sizzling hot, sear all sides of the seitan, then remove it and set aside. Keep the pan hot, and add the rest of the vegetables. Turn the heat down to about medium and cook until the vegetables start to carmelize, probably about 15- 20 minutes. Stir in the flour, cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in the 1/2 cup of wine in the second batch of ingredients and reduce by 1/2. Add the seitan, bouquet garni, broth and reserved marinade. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until thickened and saucy.Now from here, the recipe sounds a little crazy. Pick out the seitan and the carrots. Yes, really. Put them aside. Using that same collander in a bowl, strain out the other vegetables. We're wastefully done with those. Put the seitan, carrots and the saucy part from the bowl back in the frying pan and heat. Stir in the vinegar and grated chocolate. When it's heated throughout, check the seasonings and eat.*A bouquet garni is just a fancy way of saying tie together a stalk of parsley, 2 stems of thyme and a bay leaf. Mine didn't stay together at all and it doesn't matter because it just stays with the vegetables you throw out. So just toss them in.

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

--George W. Bush

you may run in wild circles, but I think them bacteria types is just animals, man just a pack of wild animals..........

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Friday, 30 January, 2009 8:07:57 PMRe: Civet of Seitan

bacteria aren't animals, ergo, its ok

wahahahahahhahaa

Peter VV Jan 30, 2009 11:56 AM @gro ups.com Re: Civet of Seitan

Peter vv

Blake Wilson <mbw@gro ups.comFriday, 30 January, 2009 6:50:34 PMRe: Civet of Seitan

Peter vv

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

--George W. Bush

Is there any book you havent read? FOREST KILLER.....:-)

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Friday, 30 January, 2009 8:09:47 PMRe: Civet of Seitan

most of it is wild harvested (i acutally read a book on it last year) (folks right books about EVERYTHING!) ..

tho, i assume nowadays since its gotten so much hype, there are cages full of civets being fed raw coffee berries in indonesia... .

Peter VV Jan 30, 2009 9:56 AM @gro ups.com Re: Civet of Seitan

Peter vv

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

--George W. Bush

what about burning cow dung for fuel? sure it literally " comes from an animal " , but its quite different than meat or milk, isn't it? so, by implication....isn't the civet coffee the same? no? yes? not sure...

blake On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 1:09 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

most of it is wild harvested (i acutally read a book on it last year) (folks right books about EVERYTHING!)..

tho, i assume nowadays since its gotten so much hype, there are cages full of civets being fed raw coffee berries in indonesia....

Peter VV Jan 30, 2009 9:56 AM

Re: Civet of Seitan

Peter vv

Blake Wilson <mbw

Sounds great! Speaking of civet, I saw that our local Asian market sells Kopi Luwak, the coffee made from beans that have passed through the digestive system of either wild or captive civet cats. Question: is it vegan? Is this an " animal product " ? It sure seems like it....however, all this is rendered moot by the generally disgusting idea of making coffee from this type of bean in the first place. I mean, who thought this one up? " Hey, I think it'd taste great! " ?

Blake

from Hezbollah Tofu, where they try and out bourdain Anthony Bourdain....Civet of Seitanaka Turn Off CNN And Make This Immediately8 oz seitan ( about 1 cup), cut in 1 inch cubes2 carrots, cut in 1 -1 1/2 inch lengths

1 cup onion, sliced in 1/2 moons1 cup leeks, sliced4 cloves garlic, crushed1 cup red wineSalt and pepper1 Tbsp olive oil (for searing)2 Tbsp eb (for searing)1 Tbsp flourbouquet garni*

1/2 cup wine1/2 cup broth2 tsp red wine vinegar2 tsp grated dark chocolateDay 1: Marinade the cubes, carrots, onions, leeks and garlic in the red wine in ziplock bag overnight.Day2: Using a collander over a bowl, strain the liquid out. Pick out the seitan, but keep everything else in the collander. Keep the marinade liquid in the bowl, too. Heat the oil/eb in a large frying pan. Toss the seitan with a little salt and pepper to season. When it's sizzling hot, sear all sides of the sei

tan, then remove it and set aside. Keep the pan hot, and add the rest of the vegetables. Turn the heat down to about medium and cook until the vegetables start to carmelize, probably about 15- 20 minutes. Stir in the flour, cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in the 1/2 cup of wine in the second batch of ingredients and reduce by 1/2. Add the seitan, bouquet garni, broth and reserved marinade. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until thickened and saucy.

*A bouquet garni is just a fancy way of saying tie together a stalk of parsley, 2 stems of thyme and a bay leaf. Mi

ne didn't stay together at all and it doesn't matter because it just stays with the vegetables you throw out. So just toss them in.

" Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we.

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we. "

--George W. Bush

would you use manure for your vegetable patch and call yourself vegan?

Peter vv

Blake Wilson <mbw Sent: Friday, 30 January, 2009 8:47:40 PMRe: Civet of Seitan

what about burning cow dung for fuel? sure it literally "comes from an animal", but its quite different than meat or milk, isn't it? so, by implication. ...isn't the civet coffee the same? no? yes? not sure...blake

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 1:09 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net> wrote:

most of it is wild harvested (i acutally read a book on it last year) (folks right books about EVERYTHING!) ..

tho, i assume nowadays since its gotten so much hype, there are cages full of civets being fed raw coffee berries in indonesia... .

Peter VV

Jan 30, 2009 9:56 AM @gro ups.com Re: Civet of Seitan

Peter vv

Blake Wilson <mbw

@gro ups.com

sear all sides of the sei tan, then remove it and set aside. Keep the pan hot, and add the rest of the vegetables. Turn the heat down to about medium and cook until the vegetables start to carmelize, probably about 15- 20 minutes. Stir in the flour, cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in the 1/2 cup of wine in the second batch of ingredients and reduce by 1/2. Add the seitan, bouquet garni, broth and reserved marinade. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until thickened and saucy.Now from here, the recipe sounds a little crazy. Pick out the seitan and the carrots. Yes, really. Put them aside. Using that same collander in a bowl, strain out the other vegetables. We're wastefully done with those. Put the seitan, carrots and the saucy part from the bowl back in the frying pan and heat. Stir in the vinegar and grated chocolate. When it's heated throughout, check the seasonings and eat.*A bouquet garni is just a fancy way of saying tie together a stalk

of parsley, 2 stems of thyme and a bay leaf. Mi ne didn't stay together at all and it doesn't matter because it just stays with the vegetables you throw out. So just toss them in.

--George W. Bush

I wouldn't try it even if it was vegan.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Friday, January 30, 2009 5:56 PM

Re: Civet of Seitan

Peter vv

no cow patties in my garden............

Peter VV Jan 30, 2009 12:54 PM Re: Civet of Seitan

would you use manure for your vegetable patch and call yourself vegan?

Peter vv

Blake Wilson <mbw Sent: Friday, 30 January, 2009 8:47:40 PMRe: Civet of Seitan

what about burning cow dung for fuel? sure it literally "comes from an animal", but its quite different than meat or milk, isn't it? so, by implication. ...isn't the civet coffee the same? no? yes? not sure...blake

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 1:09 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net> wrote:

Peter VV

Jan 30, 2009 9:56 AM @gro ups.com Re: Civet of Seitan

Peter vv

Blake Wilson <mbw

@gro ups.com

from Hezbollah Tofu, where they try and out bourdain Anthony Bourdain....Civet of Seitanaka Turn Off CNN And Make This Immediately8 oz seitan ( about 1 cup), cut in 1 inch cubes2 carrots, cut in 1 -1 1/2 inch lengths1 cup onion, sliced in 1/2 moons1 cup leeks, sliced4 cloves garlic, crushed1 cup red wineSalt and pepper1 Tbsp olive oil (for searing)2 Tbsp eb (for searing)1 Tbsp flourbouquet garni*1/2 cup wine1/2 cup broth2 tsp red wine vinegar2 tsp grated dark chocolateDay 1: Marinade the cubes, carrots, onions, leeks and garlic in the red wine in ziplock bag overnight.Day2: Using a collander over a bowl, strain the liquid out. Pick out the seitan, but keep everything else in the collander. Keep the marinade liquid in the bowl, too. Heat the oil/eb in a large frying pan. Toss the seitan with a little salt and pepper to season. When it's sizzling hot, sear all sides of the sei tan, then remove it and set aside. Keep the pan hot, and add the rest of the vegetables. Turn the heat down to about medium and cook until the vegetables start to carmelize, probably about 15- 20 minutes. Stir in the flour, cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in the 1/2 cup of wine in the second batch of ingredients and reduce by 1/2. Add the seitan, bouquet garni, broth and reserved marinade. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until thickened and saucy.Now from here, the recipe sounds a little crazy. Pick out the seitan and the carrots. Yes, really. Put them aside. Using that same collander in a bowl, strain out the other vegetables. We're wastefully done with those. Put the seitan, carrots and the saucy part from the bowl back in the frying pan and heat. Stir in the vinegar and grated chocolate. When it's heated throughout, check the seasonings and eat.*A bouquet garni is just a fancy way of saying tie together a stalk of parsley, 2 stems of thyme and a bay leaf. Mi ne didn't stay together at all and it doesn't matter because it just stays with the vegetables you throw out. So just toss them in.

--George W. Bush

--George W. Bush

millions and millions

not enough hours in the day...

and i don't read as many books as i used to. poverty put a crimp in that. well, that and no longer workin for book publishers!

:)

tho, did pick up a slew of fantasy novels the last couple days.

Peter VV Jan 30, 2009 12:18 PM Re: Civet of Seitan

Is there any book you havent read? FOREST KILLER.....:-)

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Friday, 30 January, 2009 8:09:47 PMRe: Civet of Seitan

Peter VV Jan 30, 2009 9:56 AM @gro ups.com Re: Civet of Seitan

Peter vv

--George W. Bush

--George W. Bush