IndiaDivine.org

zoos

Rate this topic

Guest guest

i do biology a level at collage and have refused to go on a zoo visit

today and on monday we will be having a debate about wether we should

have zoos and im against so if anyone wants to throw in some ideas i

could raise during the debate or a good website to look at.

ok thank you

P.S. apoligies on the ahimsa milk, if i offended anyone.

I would have thought that the best issue you could raise would be the behavioural problems associated with animals in captivity. I suppose if you google "behavioural problems in captive animals" you should find all the relevant information. You could raise Vivisection and HLS as an associated issue hehe --- On Fri, 30/1/09, waterspirithippie <waterspirithippie wrote:

waterspirithippie <waterspirithippie zoos Date: Friday, 30 January, 2009, 6:08 PM

i do biology a level at collage and have refused to go on a zoo visit today and on monday we will be having a debate about wether we should have zoos and im against so if anyone wants to throw in some ideas i could raise during the debate or a good website to look at.ok thank youP.S. apoligies on the ahimsa milk, if i offended anyone.

Hi water -

I am anti-zoo (and anti-aquarium) all the way. While I understand

that it is the only live exposure many people get for seeing

exotic/wild animals, it is inhumane. Animals require space to roam

around and forage without walls and barriers prohibiting their natural

ways.

Often animals at zoos have too small of space and are mistreated.

They do not have the interaction between other species the way they

normally do in the wild. How can they catch their own prey? They are

turned into tame creatures who lose many of their natural skills.

This, of course, is all strictly my personal opinion.

Debra

p.s. good luck with the debate

, " waterspirithippie "

<waterspirithippie wrote:

>

> i do biology a level at collage and have refused to go on a zoo visit

> today and on monday we will be having a debate about wether we should

> have zoos and im against so if anyone wants to throw in some ideas i

> could raise during the debate or a good website to look at.

>

> ok thank you

>

> P.S. apoligies on the ahimsa milk, if i offended anyone.

>

And your views on captive breeding programmes for endangered species?

Peter vv

dadiemert <dadiemert Sent: Friday, 30 January, 2009 9:11:17 PM Re: zoos

Hi water -I am anti-zoo (and anti-aquarium) all the way. While I understandthat it is the only live exposure many people get for seeingexotic/wild animals, it is inhumane. Animals require space to roamaround and forage without walls and barriers prohibiting their naturalways.Often animals at zoos have too small of space and are mistreated. They do not have the interaction between other species the way theynormally do in the wild. How can they catch their own prey? They areturned into tame creatures who lose many of their natural skills.This, of course, is all strictly my personal opinion.Debrap.s. good luck with the debate@gro ups.com, "waterspirithippie"<waterspirithippie@ ...> wrote:>> i do biology a level at

collage and have refused to go on a zoo visit > today and on monday we will be having a debate about wether we should > have zoos and im against so if anyone wants to throw in some ideas i > could raise during the debate or a good website to look at.> > ok thank you> > P.S. apoligies on the ahimsa milk, if i offended anyone.>

they only have "breeding programs" for big ticket items. the mega-fauna of today which we have oh so joyously ground underfoot, huntd to the brink, destroyed their habitats, etc.

how many zoos have captive breeding programs for the endangered chub of the colorado river system?

Peter VV Jan 30, 2009 1:18 PM Re: Re: zoos

Peter vv

dadiemert <dadiemert > Sent: Friday, 30 January, 2009 9:11:17 PM Re: zoos

Hi water -I am anti-zoo (and anti-aquarium) all the way. While I understandthat it is the only live exposure many people get for seeingexotic/wild animals, it is inhumane. Animals require space to roamaround and forage without walls and barriers prohibiting their naturalways.Often animals at zoos have too small of space and are mistreated. They do not have the interaction between other species the way theynormally do in the wild. How can they catch their own prey? They areturned into tame creatures who lose many of their natural skills.This, of course, is all strictly my personal opinion.Debrap.s. good luck with the debate@gro ups.com, "waterspirithippie"<waterspirithippie@ ...> wrote:>> i do biology a level at collage and have refused to go on a zoo visit > today and on monday we will be having a debate about wether we should > have zoos and im against so if anyone wants to throw in some ideas i > could raise during the debate or a good website to look at.> > ok thank you> > P.S. apoligies on the ahimsa milk, if i offended anyone.>

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we.

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

--George W. Bush

should go waaaaaaay back in the archives and look up this very discussion we had many many many moons ago

*rant mode on*

for the most part when you get down to the nitty gritty, zoos in general are nothing more then semi-glorified entertainment prisons. the critter, whatever it may be, is nothing more then entertainment value. we go there to look at the animals and wehope something will happen.

the animals are trapped in an unnatural environment, in climates most of probably aren't suited for.

zoos breed trophy animals. zoos generally aren;t going to breed the endangered block island vole. no instead, they want something with pizzazz...something t o bring the crowds in, because hey, zoos are there to create MONEY. zoos breed up animals that will make people go "ooooh, ahhh", and they can stick on a t-shirt. how many white tigers exist in the wild?

zoos often really care nothing about an individual animal. mates are broken up when it suits a zoo, when it can sell or loan a certain critter to another zoo to produce offspring that they desire. somehow i don't see this as a whole lot different then slave owners breaking up family units because they could...

excess animals, ones that zoos no longer want, are to hard to maintain, don't bring in the crowds anymore, etc, are sold off to road side attraction/zoos, side shows, circuses, and canned hunting parks. or just outright killed.

are all zoos like this? no. but enough are. and the general reason for having zoos is the same. entertainment.

you want to see some creature, wouldn't you rather see it in its natural habitat/environment? can't afford a trip to the other side of the world? watch it on tv..there are enough wildlife programs on PBS, discovery channel and animal planet to last anyone a dozen lifetimes

oh, and for the record....i've been to probably two dozen zoos. my father was happy to take me to zoos as a wee one. zoos all over the US, from the bronx zoo, to LA zoo, to San diego Wild Animal Park to some rinky dink roadside places in the Catskills. sure, we professed to "love" animals. but, it was all for us. the zoo was no different then a trip to disneyland. and even then i was getting inklings that all this wasn;t kosher. the big cats trapped in cages walking back and forth, back and forth. the trash thrown in animal cages. bored or angry looking animals.

and i can tell ya, it certainly was much more of a big deal to see a bear on the side of a mountain in pennsylvania, then seeing one stuck in a cage somewhere. and definately more so in places like yellowstone ..

*rant mode off*

fraggle

waterspirithippie Jan 30, 2009 10:08 AM zoos

i do biology a level at collage and have refused to go on a zoo visit today and on monday we will be having a debate about wether we should have zoos and im against so if anyone wants to throw in some ideas i could raise during the debate or a good website to look at.ok thank youP.S. apoligies on the ahimsa milk, if i offended anyone.

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

--George W. Bush

So you think they should stop the captive breeing programmes for the endangered species?

WHAT YOU SAYIN?

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Saturday, 31 January, 2009 6:19:19 PMRe: Re: zoos

they only have "breeding programs" for big ticket items. the mega-fauna of today which we have oh so joyously ground underfoot, huntd to the brink, destroyed their habitats, etc.

how many zoos have captive breeding programs for the endangered chub of the colorado river system?

Peter VV Jan 30, 2009 1:18 PM @gro ups.com Re: Re: zoos

Peter vv

dadiemert <dadiemert >@gro ups.comFriday, 30 January, 2009 9:11:17 PM Re: zoos

Hi water -I am anti-zoo (and anti-aquarium) all the way. While I understandthat it is the only live exposure many people get for seeingexotic/wild animals, it is inhumane. Animals require space to roamaround and forage without walls and barriers prohibiting their naturalways.Often animals at zoos have too small of space and are mistreated. They do not have the interaction between other species the way theynormally do in the wild. How can they catch their own prey? They areturned into tame creatures who lose many of their natural skills.This, of course, is all strictly my personal opinion.Debrap.s. good luck with the debate@gro ups.com, "waterspirithippie"<waterspirithippie@ ...> wrote:>> i do biology a level at

collage and have refused to go on a zoo visit > today and on monday we will be having a debate about wether we should > have zoos and im against so if anyone wants to throw in some ideas i > could raise during the debate or a good website to look at.> > ok thank you> > P.S. apoligies on the ahimsa milk, if i offended anyone.>

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

--George W. Bush

what i'm saying is most of that is a smokescreen. what i'm saying is, they aren't doing this out of the goodness of their wee lil hearts. most zoos have breeing programs so they can ring up ticket sales.

maybe we should focus on the reasons said beings are going endangered and/or extinct, and work on THOSE issues, and not give money to zoos so they can show off their white tigers or albino this or that...

this is like going to McDonalds because "well, the Ronal McDonald House helps kids.."

Peter VV Jan 31, 2009 11:33 AM Re: Re: zoos

So you think they should stop the captive breeing programmes for the endangered species?

WHAT YOU SAYIN?

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Saturday, 31 January, 2009 6:19:19 PMRe: Re: zoos

Peter vv

Hi water -I am anti-zoo (and anti-aquarium) all the way. While I understandthat it is the only live exposure many people get for seeingexotic/wild animals, it is inhumane. Animals require space to roamaround and forage without walls and barriers prohibiting their naturalways.Often animals at zoos have too small of space and are mistreated. They do not have the interaction between other species the way theynormally do in the wild. How can they catch their own prey? They areturned into tame creatures who lose many of their natural skills.This, of course, is all strictly my personal opinion.Debrap.s. good luck with the debate@gro ups.com, "waterspirithippie"<waterspirithippie@ ...> wrote:>> i do biology a level at collage and have refused to go on a zoo visit > today and on monday we will be having a debate about wether we should > have zoos and im against so if anyone wants to throw in some ideas i > could raise during the debate or a good website to look at.> > ok thank you> > P.S. apoligies on the ahimsa milk, if i offended anyone.>

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

--George W. Bush

--George W. Bush

So is that a yes or a no?

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Saturday, 31 January, 2009 7:55:55 PMRe: Re: zoos

what i'm saying is most of that is a smokescreen. what i'm saying is, they aren't doing this out of the goodness of their wee lil hearts. most zoos have breeing programs so they can ring up ticket sales.

maybe we should focus on the reasons said beings are going endangered and/or extinct, and work on THOSE issues, and not give money to zoos so they can show off their white tigers or albino this or that...

this is like going to McDonalds because "well, the Ronal McDonald House helps kids.."

Peter VV Jan 31, 2009 11:33 AM @gro ups.com Re: Re: zoos

WHAT YOU SAYIN?

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>@gro ups.comSaturday, 31 January, 2009 6:19:19 PMRe: Re: zoos

Peter vv

--George W. Bush

--George W. Bush

what i'm saying is that zoos should be phased out.

everything ain't black and white ya know kiddo

:)

there are other ways of bringing animal populations back from the brink. there are government agencies and the like which are probably better abled to come up with a better breeding program then relying on zoos to bring us trophy animals...

Peter VV Jan 31, 2009 12:01 PM Re: Re: zoos

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Saturday, 31 January, 2009 7:55:55 PMRe: Re: zoos

WHAT YOU SAYIN?

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>@gro ups.comSaturday, 31 January, 2009 6:19:19 PMRe: Re: zoos

Peter vv

--George W. Bush

--George W. Bush

--George W. Bush

I agree it aint black and white, thats what I wanted you to admit.

Heres a quote from an article in the Times yesterday:

Since the troubled early 1990s, zoos have worked to get more involved in conservation, doing research in the field instead of simply being an ark housing an emergency supply of threatened animals. At the same time as expanding research and education, zoos paid more attention to improving animal welfare and making visits more enjoyable.

Commitment to conservation in countries where rare animals are found rose too. In 2005 members of the association were involved in 336 field projects; by 2007 these had almost doubled to more than 600, with the money spent increasing from £5 million to £7.75 million.

Miranda Stevenson, of the association, said that the conservation role appealed to visitors. “People are now realising that zoos are doing good work. They can have a good day out and feel they are doing good at the same time,†she said.

“If you take zoos like Chester, Marwell, London, Twycross, Bristol and Edinburgh, they really are conservation organisations in their own right. They do significant fieldwork.â€

Amos Courage, of Howletts and Port Lympne Wild Animal Parks in Kent, which have led work to reintroduce gorillas into the wild, said that the public now demanded that zoos have a strong conservation element. “The 19th-century standard Noah’s Ark-type exhibit has gone. We can no longer be seen to be consumers of wildlife. We have to be springboards for conservation,†he said from Thailand, where he was attending a meeting aimed at saving cat species.

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Saturday, 31 January, 2009 8:08:52 PMRe: Re: zoos

there are other ways of bringing animal populations back from the brink. there are government agencies and the like which are probably better abled to come up with a better breeding program then relying on zoos to bring us trophy animals...

Peter VV Jan 31, 2009 12:01 PM @gro ups.com Re: Re: zoos

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>@gro ups.comSaturday, 31 January, 2009 7:55:55 PMRe: Re: zoos

WHAT YOU SAYIN?

Peter vv

Peter vv

--George W. Bush

--George W. Bush

--George W. Bush

as i know buttkus about zoos in the UK, i say this with some trepidation and a hint of caution

but

hookum

might as well say "today's oil companies are bastions of renewable energy. no longer are they run and controlled as they were in the days of Rockefeller. today's oil consumer demands a certain green flavor to his glutonny. so for every 10,000 barrels ripped from the ground, Chevron donates 2 1/2 cents to Sister Mary Terresa's Home for Wayward Limbless Orphans in Nigeria..."

see! oil companies are good! we gotta drive more and support em! won't someone please think of the orphans!

Peter VV Feb 1, 2009 1:05 AM Re: Re: zoos

Since the troubled early 1990s, zoos have worked to get more involved in conservation, doing research in the field instead of simply being an ark housing an emergency supply of threatened animals. At the same time as expanding research and education, zoos paid more attention to improving animal welfare and making visits more enjoyable.

Commitment to conservation in countries where rare animals are found rose too. In 2005 members of the association were involved in 336 field projects; by 2007 these had almost doubled to more than 600, with the money spent increasing from £5 million to £7.75 million.

Miranda Stevenson, of the association, said that the conservation role appealed to visitors. “People are now realising that zoos are doing good work. They can have a good day out and feel they are doing good at the same time,†she said.

“If you take zoos like Chester, Marwell, London, Twycross, Bristol and Edinburgh, they really are conservation organisations in their own right. They do significant fieldwork.â€

Amos Courage, of Howletts and Port Lympne Wild Animal Parks in Kent, which have led work to reintroduce gorillas into the wild, said that the public now demanded that zoos have a strong conservation element. “The 19th-century standard Noah’s Ark-type exhibit has gone. We can no longer be seen to be consumers of wildlife. We have to be springboards for conservation,†he said from Thailand, where he was attending a meeting aimed at saving cat species.

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Saturday, 31 January, 2009 8:08:52 PMRe: Re: zoos

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>@gro ups.comSaturday, 31 January, 2009 7:55:55 PMRe: Re: zoos

WHAT YOU SAYIN?

Peter vv

Peter vv

--George W. Bush

--George W. Bush

--George W. Bush

--George W. Bush

I though you said it wasnt black and wihte previously, ????

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Sunday, 1 February, 2009 5:50:14 PMRe: Re: zoos

as i know buttkus about zoos in the UK, i say this with some trepidation and a hint of caution

but

hookum

might as well say "today's oil companies are bastions of renewable energy. no longer are they run and controlled as they were in the days of Rockefeller. today's oil consumer demands a certain green flavor to his glutonny. so for every 10,000 barrels ripped from the ground, Chevron donates 2 1/2 cents to Sister Mary Terresa's Home for Wayward Limbless Orphans in Nigeria..."

see! oil companies are good! we gotta drive more and support em! won't someone please think of the orphans!

Peter VV Feb 1, 2009 1:05 AM @gro ups.com Re: Re: zoos

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>@gro ups.comSaturday, 31 January, 2009 8:08:52 PMRe: Re: zoos

Peter vv

WHAT YOU SAYIN?

Peter vv

Peter vv

--George W. Bush

--George W. Bush

--George W. Bush

--George W. Bush