IndiaDivine.org

Transition to vegan

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I wanted to update you on my moving-to-vegan progress. When I first joined (a month or so ago?), I was vegetarian. I now have stopped eating eggs & dairy. (Yay!) I'm still learning about products that have hidden animal ingredients. I think this is gonna take awhile. I bought that book on Animal Ingredients A-Z (or similar title; thanks for the suggestion). It's pretty overwhelming. Short of bringing the book with me & looking up everything I don't recognize, I'm not sure how to proceed. I suppose I could create a list of "most likely" candidates to carry with me?How did you all figure out how to identify the myriad ingredients? (And it feels weird to refer to them as "ingredients." They're animals, not ingredient sources.)Sue

The big culprits are things like gelatin, casein, cochineal coloring (watch for in grapefruit juices), chicken broth at restaurants in their vegetables (you'd be amazed), whey hidden in lots of stuff...you're not eating cheese anymore, but rennet in cheese is one of the big ones to throw at dairy eating " vegetarians " .

The book " How it all Vegan " has great recipes and a nice glossary. Blake On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 1:58 PM, Sue 3334 <sue_3334 wrote:

I wanted to update you on my moving-to-vegan progress. When I first joined (a month or so ago?), I was vegetarian. I now have stopped eating eggs & dairy. (Yay!) I'm still learning about products that have hidden animal ingredients. I think this is gonna take awhile. I bought that book on Animal Ingredients A-Z (or similar title; thanks for the suggestion). It's pretty overwhelming. Short of bringing the book with me & looking up everything I don't recognize, I'm not sure how to proceed. I suppose I could create a list of " most likely " candidates to carry with me?

How did you all figure out how to identify the myriad ingredients? (And it feels weird to refer to them as " ingredients. " They're animals, not ingredient sources.)Sue

Hi Sue

Congratulations. Those hidden ingredients are a pain... took me a good couple of years before I knew exactly what I needed to keep an eye out for. I think, for me, it was more a process of discovery as I made mistakes - when I found out something I had just eaten had an animal ingredient in it, I remembered what it was! Nowadays, to be on the safe side, I avoid anything which doesn't have a "proper" list of ingredients - i.e. if it has e numbers instead of the names, or if it just says "flavourings" or "colourings" (unless, of course, the product carries the Vegan Society logo or otherwise explicitly states it's OK for vegans!)

I found the vegan society website to be most useful - they have a whole long list of stuff that comes from animal sources. Not sure of the address off the top of my head, but if you google "Vegan Society UK" it should come up!

Hope that helps

BBPeter

-

Sue 3334

Vegan Chat Group

Friday, January 30, 2009 8:58 PM

Transition to vegan

I wanted to update you on my moving-to-vegan progress. When I first joined (a month or so ago?), I was vegetarian. I now have stopped eating eggs & dairy. (Yay!) I'm still learning about products that have hidden animal ingredients. I think this is gonna take awhile. I bought that book on Animal Ingredients A-Z (or similar title; thanks for the suggestion). It's pretty overwhelming. Short of bringing the book with me & looking up everything I don't recognize, I'm not sure how to proceed. I suppose I could create a list of "most likely" candidates to carry with me?How did you all figure out how to identify the myriad ingredients? (And it feels weird to refer to them as "ingredients." They're animals, not ingredient sources.)Sue

Also shellac on chocolate covered nuts and raisins, and sometimes on apples etc. to make them shine.

Jo

-

Blake Wilson

Saturday, January 31, 2009 12:39 AM

Re: Transition to vegan

The big culprits are things like gelatin, casein, cochineal coloring (watch for in grapefruit juices), chicken broth at restaurants in their vegetables (you'd be amazed), whey hidden in lots of stuff...you're not eating cheese anymore, but rennet in cheese is one of the big ones to throw at dairy eating "vegetarians". The book "How it all Vegan" has great recipes and a nice glossary. Blake

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 1:58 PM, Sue 3334 <sue_3334 > wrote:

I did not know that. I just looked up shellac (I know its from the lac beetle, and know its used to make the type of shellac you'd use on wood) and found its also used in vinyl records. Should I throw out my collection of over 2000 LPs?

As Fraggle says, ain't no *vegans* today.....Blake On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 4:14 AM, jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork wrote:

Also shellac on chocolate covered nuts and raisins, and sometimes on apples etc. to make them shine.

Jo

-

Blake Wilson

The big culprits are things like gelatin, casein, cochineal coloring (watch for in grapefruit juices), chicken broth at restaurants in their vegetables (you'd be amazed), whey hidden in lots of stuff...you're not eating cheese anymore, but rennet in cheese is one of the big ones to throw at dairy eating " vegetarians " . The book " How it all Vegan " has great recipes and a nice glossary. Blake

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 1:58 PM, Sue 3334 <sue_3334 wrote:

I wanted to update you on my moving-to-vegan progress. When I first joined (a month or so ago?), I was vegetarian. I now have stopped eating eggs & dairy. (Yay!) I'm still learning about products that have hidden animal ingredients. I think this is gonna take awhile. I bought that book on Animal Ingredients A-Z (or similar title; thanks for the suggestion). It's pretty overwhelming. Short of bringing the book with me & looking up everything I don't recognize, I'm not sure how to proceed. I suppose I could create a list of " most likely " candidates to carry with me?How did you all figure out how to identify the myriad ingredients? (And it feels weird to refer to them as " ingredients. " They're animals, not ingredient sources.)Sue

Another great resource I've recently come across is on the Peta.org

website. It is a list of " I can't believe it's Vegan! " foods that

aren't intentionally vegan, but are okay for vegans to eat.

Debra

, " Peter " <metalscarab wrote:

>

> Hi Sue

>

> Congratulations. Those hidden ingredients are a pain... took me a

good couple of years before I knew exactly what I needed to keep an

eye out for. I think, for me, it was more a process of discovery as I

made mistakes - when I found out something I had just eaten had an

animal ingredient in it, I remembered what it was! Nowadays, to be on

the safe side, I avoid anything which doesn't have a " proper " list of

ingredients - i.e. if it has e numbers instead of the names, or if it

just says " flavourings " or " colourings " (unless, of course, the

product carries the Vegan Society logo or otherwise explicitly states

it's OK for vegans!)

>

> I found the vegan society website to be most useful - they have a

whole long list of stuff that comes from animal sources. Not sure of

the address off the top of my head, but if you google " Vegan Society

UK " it should come up!

>

> Hope that helps

>

> BB

> Peter

> -

> Sue 3334

> Vegan Chat Group

> Friday, January 30, 2009 8:58 PM

> Transition to vegan

>

>

> I wanted to update you on my moving-to-vegan progress. When

I first joined (a month or so ago?), I was vegetarian. I now have

stopped eating eggs & dairy. (Yay!)

>

> I'm still learning about products that have hidden animal

ingredients. I think this is gonna take awhile. I bought that book on

Animal Ingredients A-Z (or similar title; thanks for the suggestion).

It's pretty overwhelming. Short of bringing the book with me & looking

up everything I don't recognize, I'm not sure how to proceed. I

suppose I could create a list of " most likely " candidates to carry

with me?

>

> How did you all figure out how to identify the myriad

ingredients? (And it feels weird to refer to them as " ingredients. "

They're animals, not ingredient sources.)

> Sue

>

i wonder what the proportion of waxes used in the US are today..be they plant based, lac bug secretions, or petroleum based

hmmm

go to the farmers market..go to the farmers market, go to to the farmers market

Blake Wilson Jan 31, 2009 8:11 AM Re: Transition to vegan

I did not know that. I just looked up shellac (I know its from the lac beetle, and know its used to make the type of shellac you'd use on wood) and found its also used in vinyl records. Should I throw out my collection of over 2000 LPs? As Fraggle says, ain't no *vegans* today.....Blake

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 4:14 AM, jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork > wrote:

Jo

-

Blake Wilson

The big culprits are things like gelatin, casein, cochineal coloring (watch for in grapefruit juices), chicken broth at restaurants in their vegetables (you'd be amazed), whey hidden in lots of stuff...you're not eating cheese anymore, but rennet in cheese is one of the big ones to throw at dairy eating "vegetarians". The book "How it all Vegan" has great recipes and a nice glossary. Blake

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we.

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

--George W. Bush

congrats!

:)

and, it's all about taking yer time, learning, educating yerself, etc and so forth.

as fr me, not like i learned it all over nite. i would think its best to learn the basis, whey, lactose, gelatin, etc, and then branch out. when you read ingredient on a label and you don't know what it is, go home and look it up

fer me, reading labels is second natre. and i've found that it makes one appreciate what goes into modern food substances. not only are you looking for animal by-products and the like, you start to look for 18 syllable chemical tongue twisters..

" that's a coal tar derivative? why is there a coal tar derivative in my food???"

Sue 3334 Jan 30, 2009 12:58 PM Vegan Chat Group Transition to vegan

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

--George W. Bush

No - don't throw your vinyl away. You have already bought it and throwing them away would serve no purpose.

Jo

-

Blake Wilson

Saturday, January 31, 2009 4:11 PM

I did not know that. I just looked up shellac (I know its from the lac beetle, and know its used to make the type of shellac you'd use on wood) and found its also used in vinyl records. Should I throw out my collection of over 2000 LPs? As Fraggle says, ain't no *vegans* today.....Blake

Jo

-

Blake Wilson

actually Blake, it's a horrid sin. just give it to me and i'll absolve you of it. cuz that's the kind of fraggle i am

"jo.heartwork" Jan 31, 2009 10:42 AM Re: Transition to vegan

No - don't throw your vinyl away. You have already bought it and throwing them away would serve no purpose.

Jo

-

Blake Wilson

Saturday, January 31, 2009 4:11 PM

Jo

-

Blake Wilson

--George W. Bush

Thanks for the info, Blake. One thing I have been concerned about is sauces, broths, etc., at restaurants.Sue--- On Fri, 1/30/09, Blake Wilson <mbw wrote:Blake Wilson <mbwRe: Transition to vegan Date: Friday, January 30, 2009, 6:39 PM

The big culprits are things like gelatin, casein, cochineal coloring (watch for in grapefruit juices), chicken broth at restaurants in their vegetables (you'd be amazed), whey hidden in lots of stuff...you're not eating cheese anymore, but rennet in cheese is one of the big ones to throw at dairy eating "vegetarians".

The book "How it all Vegan" has great recipes and a nice glossary. Blake On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 1:58 PM, Sue 3334 <sue_3334 > wrote:

I wanted to update you on my moving-to-vegan progress. When I first joined (a month or so ago?), I was vegetarian. I now have stopped eating eggs & dairy. (Yay!) I'm still learning about products that have hidden animal ingredients. I think this is gonna take awhile. I bought that book on Animal Ingredients A-Z (or similar title; thanks for the suggestion). It's pretty overwhelming. Short of bringing the book with me & looking up everything I don't recognize, I'm not sure how to proceed. I suppose I could create a list of "most likely" candidates to carry with me?

How did you all figure out how to identify the myriad ingredients? (And it feels weird to refer to them as "ingredients." They're animals, not ingredient sources.)Sue

Thanks for the site. I bookmarked it & will peruse after work.Wouldn't it be wonderful if all things vegan were marked as such?Sue--- On Sat, 1/31/09, Peter <metalscarab wrote:Peter <metalscarabRe: Transition to vegan Date: Saturday, January 31, 2009, 4:55 AM

Hi Sue

Congratulations. Those hidden ingredients are a pain... took me a good couple of years before I knew exactly what I needed to keep an eye out for. I think, for me, it was more a process of discovery as I made mistakes - when I found out something I had just eaten had an animal ingredient in it, I remembered what it was! Nowadays, to be on the safe side, I avoid anything which doesn't have a "proper" list of ingredients - i.e. if it has e numbers instead of the names, or if it just says "flavourings" or "colourings" (unless, of course, the product carries the Vegan Society logo or otherwise explicitly states it's OK for vegans!)

I found the vegan society website to be most useful - they have a whole long list of stuff that comes from animal sources. Not sure of the address off the top of my head, but if you google "Vegan Society UK" it should come up!

Hope that helps

BBPeter

-

Sue 3334

Vegan Chat Group

Friday, January 30, 2009 8:58 PM

Transition to vegan

I wanted to update you on my moving-to-vegan progress. When I first joined (a month or so ago?), I was vegetarian. I now have stopped eating eggs & dairy. (Yay!) I'm still learning about products that have hidden animal ingredients. I think this is gonna take awhile. I bought that book on Animal Ingredients A-Z (or similar title; thanks for the suggestion). It's pretty overwhelming. Short of bringing the book with me & looking up everything I don't recognize, I'm not sure how to proceed. I suppose I could create a list of "most likely" candidates to carry with me?How did you all figure out how to identify the myriad ingredients? (And it feels weird to refer to them as "ingredients. " They're animals, not ingredient sources.)Sue

I always wondered how they did that to apples. Now that I buy organic apples (which have dull skins) I remember back when I was a kid and we always "shined" our apples before eating them, by rubbing them on our sleeve. lol Sue--- On Sat, 1/31/09, jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork wrote:jo.heartwork <jo.heartworkRe: Transition to vegan Date: Saturday, January 31, 2009, 5:14 AM

Jo

-

Blake Wilson

@gro ups.com

The big culprits are things like gelatin, casein, cochineal coloring (watch for in grapefruit juices), chicken broth at restaurants in their vegetables (you'd be amazed), whey hidden in lots of stuff...you' re not eating cheese anymore, but rennet in cheese is one of the big ones to throw at dairy eating "vegetarians" . The book "How it all Vegan" has great recipes and a nice glossary. Blake

I wanted to update you on my moving-to-vegan progress. When I first joined (a month or so ago?), I was vegetarian. I now have stopped eating eggs & dairy. (Yay!) I'm still learning about products that have hidden animal ingredients. I think this is gonna take awhile. I bought that book on Animal Ingredients A-Z (or similar title; thanks for the suggestion). It's pretty overwhelming. Short of bringing the book with me & looking up everything I don't recognize, I'm not sure how to proceed. I suppose I could create a list of "most likely" candidates to carry with me?How did you all figure out how to identify the myriad ingredients? (And it feels weird to refer to them as "ingredients. " They're animals, not ingredient sources.)Sue

Cool. I'll look that up, too. :-)Sue--- On Sat, 1/31/09, dadiemert <dadiemert wrote:dadiemert <dadiemert Re: Transition to vegan Date: Saturday, January 31, 2009, 11:10 AM

Another great resource I've recently come across is on the Peta.org

website. It is a list of "I can't believe it's Vegan!" foods that

aren't intentionally vegan, but are okay for vegans to eat.

Debra

@gro ups.com, "Peter" <metalscarab@ ...> wrote:

>

> Hi Sue

>

> Congratulations. Those hidden ingredients are a pain... took me a

good couple of years before I knew exactly what I needed to keep an

eye out for. I think, for me, it was more a process of discovery as I

made mistakes - when I found out something I had just eaten had an

animal ingredient in it, I remembered what it was! Nowadays, to be on

the safe side, I avoid anything which doesn't have a "proper" list of

ingredients - i.e. if it has e numbers instead of the names, or if it

just says "flavourings" or "colourings" (unless, of course, the

product carries the Vegan Society logo or otherwise explicitly states

it's OK for vegans!)

>

> I found the vegan society website to be most useful - they have a

whole long list of stuff that comes from animal sources. Not sure of

the address off the top of my head, but if you google "Vegan Society

UK" it should come up!

>

> Hope that helps

>

> BB

> Peter

> -

> Sue 3334

> Vegan Chat Group

> Friday, January 30, 2009 8:58 PM

> Transition to vegan

>

>

> I wanted to update you on my moving-to-vegan progress. When

I first joined (a month or so ago?), I was vegetarian. I now have

stopped eating eggs & dairy. (Yay!)

>

> I'm still learning about products that have hidden animal

ingredients. I think this is gonna take awhile. I bought that book on

Animal Ingredients A-Z (or similar title; thanks for the suggestion).

It's pretty overwhelming. Short of bringing the book with me & looking

up everything I don't recognize, I'm not sure how to proceed. I

suppose I could create a list of "most likely" candidates to carry

with me?

>

> How did you all figure out how to identify the myriad

ingredients? (And it feels weird to refer to them as "ingredients. "

They're animals, not ingredient sources.)

> Sue

>

Just ask, Sue. Tell them you are allergic...they tend to move pretty quick after hearing that! But you're right, it's a murky area and be assured MOST are putting bad things in there.A local Chinese place advertises a " Vegetarian " menu. And sure enough, there it is, with all kinds of tasty plates featuring tofu. In fine print, thankfully at the top, right under the word " Vegetarian " , it says " For vegetarians, please request 'no chicken broth' " !

So if you didn't see that and order the " vegetarian " tofu eggplant.....eeek!Blake On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Sue 3334 <sue_3334 wrote:

Thanks for the info, Blake. One thing I have been concerned about is sauces, broths, etc., at restaurants.Sue--- On Fri, 1/30/09, Blake Wilson <mbw wrote:

Blake Wilson <mbwRe: Transition to vegan

Friday, January 30, 2009, 6:39 PM

The big culprits are things like gelatin, casein, cochineal coloring (watch for in grapefruit juices), chicken broth at restaurants in their vegetables (you'd be amazed), whey hidden in lots of stuff...you're not eating cheese anymore, but rennet in cheese is one of the big ones to throw at dairy eating " vegetarians " .

The book " How it all Vegan " has great recipes and a nice glossary. Blake On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 1:58 PM, Sue 3334 <sue_3334 > wrote:

I wanted to update you on my moving-to-vegan progress. When I first joined (a month or so ago?), I was vegetarian. I now have stopped eating eggs & dairy. (Yay!) I'm still learning about products that have hidden animal ingredients. I think this is gonna take awhile. I bought that book on Animal Ingredients A-Z (or similar title; thanks for the suggestion). It's pretty overwhelming. Short of bringing the book with me & looking up everything I don't recognize, I'm not sure how to proceed. I suppose I could create a list of " most likely " candidates to carry with me?

How did you all figure out how to identify the myriad ingredients? (And it feels weird to refer to them as " ingredients. " They're animals, not ingredient sources.)Sue

Thanks! lol, I had to laugh when I read your "coal tar derivative" comment. How right you are. And I've wondered about things like that before, too. :-DSue--- On Sat, 1/31/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:fraggle <EBbrewpunxRe: Transition to vegan Date: Saturday, January 31, 2009, 12:23 PM

congrats!

and, it's all about taking yer time, learning, educating yerself, etc and so forth.

as fr me, not like i learned it all over nite. i would think its best to learn the basis, whey, lactose, gelatin, etc, and then branch out. when you read ingredient on a label and you don't know what it is, go home and look it up

fer me, reading labels is second natre. and i've found that it makes one appreciate what goes into modern food substances. not only are you looking for animal by-products and the like, you start to look for 18 syllable chemical tongue twisters..

" that's a coal tar derivative? why is there a coal tar derivative in my food???"

Sue 3334 Jan 30, 2009 12:58 PM Vegan Chat Group Transition to vegan

I wanted to update you on my moving-to-vegan progress. When I first joined (a month or so ago?), I was vegetarian. I now have stopped eating eggs & dairy. (Yay!) I'm still learning about products that have hidden animal ingredients. I think this is gonna take awhile. I bought that book on Animal Ingredients A-Z (or similar title; thanks for the suggestion). It's pretty overwhelming. Short of bringing the book with me & looking up everything I don't recognize, I'm not sure how to proceed. I suppose I could create a list of "most likely" candidates to carry with me?How did you all figure out how to identify the myriad ingredients? (And it feels weird to refer to them as "ingredients. " They're animals, not ingredient sources.)Sue "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."--George W. Bush

that's always a toughy....

Sue 3334 Feb 3, 2009 10:24 AM Re: Transition to vegan

Thanks for the info, Blake. One thing I have been concerned about is sauces, broths, etc., at restaurants.Sue--- On Fri, 1/30/09, Blake Wilson <mbw wrote:

Blake Wilson <mbwRe: Transition to vegan Date: Friday, January 30, 2009, 6:39 PM

--George W. Bush

very very true....

and even after you ask, you'd be surprised at how often they come back with "ummm..is butter ok?"

it all depends on the style of restuarant as well...

thai food, you always have to watch for shrimp paste

pizza, commerical chains often use cheeses, whey, or meat broth in the sauce

indian food , ghee...

etc and so forth.

eat at home, and you knock that problem out...er frequent vegan restaurants...they need yer money more then appleby's does anyways

Blake Wilson Feb 3, 2009 10:31 AM Re: Transition to vegan

Just ask, Sue. Tell them you are allergic...they tend to move pretty quick after hearing that! But you're right, it's a murky area and be assured MOST are putting bad things in there.A local Chinese place advertises a "Vegetarian" menu. And sure enough, there it is, with all kinds of tasty plates featuring tofu. In fine print, thankfully at the top, right under the word "Vegetarian", it says "For vegetarians, please request 'no chicken broth'"! So if you didn't see that and order the "vegetarian" tofu eggplant.....eeek!Blake

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Sue 3334 <sue_3334 > wrote:

Blake Wilson <mbwRe: Transition to vegan Date: Friday, January 30, 2009, 6:39 PM

--George W. Bush

they wax em to make em look pretty, and so they'll last longer on the shelf and in transit.

apples in general already have a natural waxy coating, some varieties much more then others...

but, in handling, washing, packing, transportation and the like, apples lose their natural coating and dry out.

so, to make em more marketable, they spray em with a wax, be it petroleum, bug or plant based....

i stick with organic as well

Sue 3334 Feb 3, 2009 10:29 AM Re: Transition to vegan

I always wondered how they did that to apples. Now that I buy organic apples (which have dull skins) I remember back when I was a kid and we always "shined" our apples before eating them, by rubbing them on our sleeve. lol Sue--- On Sat, 1/31/09, jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork > wrote:

jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork >Re: Transition to vegan Date: Saturday, January 31, 2009, 5:14 AM

Jo

-

Blake Wilson

@gro ups.com

The big culprits are things like gelatin, casein, cochineal coloring (watch for in grapefruit juices), chicken broth at restaurants in their vegetables (you'd be amazed), whey hidden in lots of stuff...you' re not eating cheese anymore, but rennet in cheese is one of the big ones to throw at dairy eating "vegetarians" . The book "How it all Vegan" has great recipes and a nice glossary. Blake

--George W. Bush

speaking of eating out (particularly here in boulder), i'm happy to report that i've discovered a couple places that are making the effort. tsing tao features a " real " vegan menu (alongside the other stuff) and are consciousness of what it " is " , i.e. it isn't just some words on the menu that perplexes the servers. no eggs/animal broth in the soups, egg-free spring roll wrappers, etc. food is about 7/10 and features some homemade fake meat/dumpling stuff that is tasty. lunch is only $6.95.

also, a new place called bangkok thai is doing a vegan menu. food was mediocre and a little spendy, but then again its nice to see someone giving it a chance. i ordered thai drunken noodles at a place called asian 5 spice and asked for no egg, no fish sauce, no chicken broth, etc, and the server didn't bat an eye. " you at least eat soy sauce? " heh. yes. it was very good.

so my big diss on boulder's veg offerings a couple months ago can be tempered by these new finds. not great, but do-able. and that's all i ask for. my fave restaurant is still chez blake. blake

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 12:17 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

very very true....

and even after you ask, you'd be surprised at how often they come back with " ummm..is butter ok? "

it all depends on the style of restuarant as well...

thai food, you always have to watch for shrimp paste

pizza, commerical chains often use cheeses, whey, or meat broth in the sauce

indian food , ghee...

etc and so forth.

eat at home, and you knock that problem out...er frequent vegan restaurants...they need yer money more then appleby's does anyways

Blake Wilson Feb 3, 2009 10:31 AM

Just ask, Sue. Tell them you are allergic...they tend to move pretty quick after hearing that! But you're right, it's a murky area and be assured MOST are putting bad things in there.

A local Chinese place advertises a " Vegetarian " menu. And sure enough, there it is, with all kinds of tasty plates featuring tofu. In fine print, thankfully at the top, right under the word " Vegetarian " , it says " For vegetarians, please request 'no chicken broth' " !

So if you didn't see that and order the " vegetarian " tofu eggplant.....eeek!Blake

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Sue 3334 <sue_3334 wrote:

Thanks for the info, Blake. One thing I have been concerned about is sauces, broths, etc., at restaurants.

Sue--- On Fri, 1/30/09, Blake Wilson <mbw wrote:

Blake Wilson <mbwRe: Transition to vegan

Date: Friday, January 30, 2009, 6:39 PM

The book " How it all Vegan " has great recipes and a nice glossary. Blake

I wanted to update you on my moving-to-vegan progress. When I first joined (a month or so ago?), I was vegetarian. I now have stopped eating eggs & dairy. (Yay!)

I'm still learning about products that have hidden animal ingredients. I think this is gonna take awhile. I bought that book on Animal Ingredients A-Z (or similar title; thanks for the suggestion). It's pretty overwhelming. Short of bringing the book with me & looking up everything I don't recognize, I'm not sure how to proceed. I suppose I could create a list of " most likely " candidates to carry with me?

" Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we.

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we. "

--George W. Bush

HI Sue

I'm not sure what happens to the apples now, but I did read a few years back that some of them have shellac on. Hopefully it has changed now, but it is worth checking when you buy them.

Jo

-

Sue 3334

Tuesday, February 03, 2009 6:29 PM

I always wondered how they did that to apples. Now that I buy organic apples (which have dull skins) I remember back when I was a kid and we always "shined" our apples before eating them, by rubbing them on our sleeve. lol Sue--- On Sat, 1/31/09, jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork > wrote:

jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork >Re: Transition to vegan Date: Saturday, January 31, 2009, 5:14 AM

Jo

-

Blake Wilson

@gro ups.com