delusion of our consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for

us,restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few

persons nearest to us.

Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our

circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of

nature in its beauty. "

I don't think that affection for just a few people is a restriction -

in fact, if you loved everyone the same, would your love be spread so

thin that it wasn't actually love at all?

Love and compassion are definitely different. I agree with compassion

for all, but am glad that I love only a few. I could not possibly

love everyone/thing. I don't even like everyone!

Jo

, " herbzone " <herbzone wrote:

>

> " A human being is part of a whole, called by us " Universe " , a part

> limited in time and space. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and

> feelings as something seperated from the rest-a kind of optical

> delusion of our consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for

> us,restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few

> persons nearest to us.

> Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening

our

> circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole

of

> nature in its beauty. "

>

Do I advise you to love of the neighbor? Rather do I advise you to flight from the neighbor and to love of the farthest!

Higher than love of your neighbor is love of the farthest and future

ones; higher still than love to men, is love to things and phantoms.

The phantom that runs on before you, my brother, is fairer

than you; why do you not give to it your flesh and your bones? But you

are afraid, and run to your neighbor.

You cannot endure yourselves and do not love yourselves

sufficiently: so you seek to mislead your neighbor into love, to gild

yourselves with his error.

If only you could not endure any kinds of neighbors; then you

would have to create your friend and his overflowing heart out of

yourselves.

You call in a witness when you want to speak well of

yourselves; and when you have misled him to think well of you, you also

think well of yourselves.

Not only does he lie, who speaks when he knows better, but

more so, he who speaks when he knows nothing. And thus you speak of

yourselves, and lie to your neighbor with yourselves.

Thus says the fool: " Association with men spoils the character, especially when one has none. "

The one goes to his neighbor because he seeks himself, and the

other because he would rather lose himself. Your bad love of yourselves

makes solitude a prison to you.

It is the farthest ones who pay for your love to the near

ones; and even when there are five of you together, there is always a

sixth who must die.

I do not love your festivals either: I found too many actors there, and even the spectators often behaved like actors.

Not the neighbor do I teach you, but the friend. Let the friend

be the festival of the earth to you, and a foretaste of the Overman.

I teach you the friend and his overflowing heart. But one must

know how to be a sponge, if one would be loved by over-flowing hearts.

I teach you the friend in whom the world stands complete, a

capsule of the good, -- the creating friend, who always has a complete

world to give away.

And as the world unrolled itself for him, so rolls it together

again for him in rings, as the becoming of good through evil, as the

becoming of purpose out of chance.

Let the future and the farthest be the motive of your today; in your friend you shall love the Overman as your motive.

My brothers, I advise you not to love of the neighbor -- I advise you to love of the farthest!

Thus spoke Zarathustra.NietzscheOn Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 5:17 AM, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

I don't think that affection for just a few people is a restriction -

in fact, if you loved everyone the same, would your love be spread so

thin that it wasn't actually love at all?

Love and compassion are definitely different. I agree with compassion

for all, but am glad that I love only a few. I could not possibly

love everyone/thing. I don't even like everyone!

Jo

, " herbzone " <herbzone wrote:

>

> " A human being is part of a whole, called by us " Universe " , a part

> limited in time and space. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and

> feelings as something seperated from the rest-a kind of optical

> delusion of our consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for

> us,restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few

> persons nearest to us.

> Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening

our

> circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole

of

> nature in its beauty. "

>

Nice.

Peter vv

Blake Wilson <mbw Sent: Tuesday, 3 February, 2009 6:37:39 PMRe: Re: thought of the day

Do I advise you to love of the neighbor? Rather do I advise you to flight from the neighbor and to love of the farthest! Higher than love of your neighbor is love of the farthest and future ones; higher still than love to men, is love to things and phantoms. The phantom that runs on before you, my brother, is fairer than you; why do you not give to it your flesh and your bones? But you are afraid, and run to your neighbor. You cannot endure yourselves and do not love yourselves sufficiently: so you seek to mislead your neighbor into love, to gild yourselves with his error. If only you could not endure any kinds of neighbors; then you would have to create your friend and his overflowing heart out of yourselves. You call in a witness when you want to speak well of yourselves; and when you have misled him to think well of you, you also think well of yourselves. Not only does he lie, who speaks when he

knows better, but more so, he who speaks when he knows nothing. And thus you speak of yourselves, and lie to your neighbor with yourselves. Thus says the fool: "Association with men spoils the character, especially when one has none." The one goes to his neighbor because he seeks himself, and the other because he would rather lose himself. Your bad love of yourselves makes solitude a prison to you. It is the farthest ones who pay for your love to the near ones; and even when there are five of you together, there is always a sixth who must die. I do not love your festivals either: I found too many actors there, and even the spectators often behaved like actors. Not the neighbor do I teach you, but the friend. Let the friend be the festival of the earth to you, and a foretaste of the Overman. I teach you the friend and his overflowing heart. But one must know how to be a sponge, if one would be loved by

over-flowing hearts. I teach you the friend in whom the world stands complete, a capsule of the good, -- the creating friend, who always has a complete world to give away. And as the world unrolled itself for him, so rolls it together again for him in rings, as the becoming of good through evil, as the becoming of purpose out of chance. Let the future and the farthest be the motive of your today; in your friend you shall love the Overman as your motive. My brothers, I advise you not to love of the neighbor -- I advise you to love of the farthest! Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Nietzsche

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 5:17 AM, heartwerk <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com> wrote:

I don't think that affection for just a few people is a restriction - in fact, if you loved everyone the same, would your love be spread so thin that it wasn't actually love at all? Love and compassion are definitely different. I agree with compassion for all, but am glad that I love only a few. I could not possibly love everyone/thing. I don't even like everyone!Jo

@gro ups.com, "herbzone" <herbzone wrote:>> "A human being is part of a whole, called by us "Universe", a part > limited in time and space. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and > feelings as something seperated from the rest-a kind of optical > delusion of our consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for > us,restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few > persons nearest to us.> Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our > circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of > nature in its beauty.">

Too much negativity on here today. Come on Jo, give everyone a hug!!!

Peter vv

heartwerk <jo.heartwork Sent: Tuesday, 3 February, 2009 12:17:12 PM Re: thought of the day

I don't think that affection for just a few people is a restriction - in fact, if you loved everyone the same, would your love be spread so thin that it wasn't actually love at all? Love and compassion are definitely different. I agree with compassion for all, but am glad that I love only a few. I could not possibly love everyone/thing. I don't even like everyone!Jo@gro ups.com, "herbzone" <herbzone@.. .> wrote:>> "A human being is part of a whole, called by us "Universe", a part > limited in time and space. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and > feelings as something seperated from the rest-a kind of optical > delusion of our consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for > us,restricting us to our personal

desires and to affection for a few > persons nearest to us.> Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our > circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of > nature in its beauty.">

that ol' nietzsche, always turning the christians on their tails....blakeOn Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

Nice.

Peter vv

Blake Wilson <mbw

Tuesday, 3 February, 2009 6:37:39 PMRe: Re: thought of the day

Do I advise you to love of the neighbor? Rather do I advise you to flight from the neighbor and to love of the farthest! Higher than love of your neighbor is love of the farthest and future ones; higher still than love to men, is love to things and phantoms.

The phantom that runs on before you, my brother, is fairer than you; why do you not give to it your flesh and your bones? But you are afraid, and run to your neighbor. You cannot endure yourselves and do not love yourselves sufficiently: so you seek to mislead your neighbor into love, to gild yourselves with his error.

If only you could not endure any kinds of neighbors; then you would have to create your friend and his overflowing heart out of yourselves. You call in a witness when you want to speak well of yourselves; and when you have misled him to think well of you, you also think well of yourselves.

Not only does he lie, who speaks when he

knows better, but more so, he who speaks when he knows nothing. And thus you speak of yourselves, and lie to your neighbor with yourselves. Thus says the fool: " Association with men spoils the character, especially when one has none. "

The one goes to his neighbor because he seeks himself, and the other because he would rather lose himself. Your bad love of yourselves makes solitude a prison to you. It is the farthest ones who pay for your love to the near ones; and even when there are five of you together, there is always a sixth who must die.

I do not love your festivals either: I found too many actors there, and even the spectators often behaved like actors. Not the neighbor do I teach you, but the friend. Let the friend be the festival of the earth to you, and a foretaste of the Overman.

I teach you the friend and his overflowing heart. But one must know how to be a sponge, if one would be loved by

over-flowing hearts. I teach you the friend in whom the world stands complete, a capsule of the good, -- the creating friend, who always has a complete world to give away. And as the world unrolled itself for him, so rolls it together again for him in rings, as the becoming of good through evil, as the becoming of purpose out of chance.

Let the future and the farthest be the motive of your today; in your friend you shall love the Overman as your motive. My brothers, I advise you not to love of the neighbor -- I advise you to love of the farthest! Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Nietzsche

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 5:17 AM, heartwerk <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com> wrote:

I don't think that affection for just a few people is a restriction - in fact, if you loved everyone the same, would your love be spread so thin that it wasn't actually love at all? Love and compassion are definitely different. I agree with compassion

for all, but am glad that I love only a few. I could not possibly love everyone/thing. I don't even like everyone!Jo

@gro ups.com, " herbzone " <herbzone wrote:>

> " A human being is part of a whole, called by us " Universe " , a part > limited in time and space. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and > feelings as something seperated from the rest-a kind of optical

> delusion of our consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for > us,restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few > persons nearest to us.> Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening

our > circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of > nature in its beauty. " >

Isnt that last sentance what veganism is all about?

Peter vv

herbzone <herbzone Sent: Tuesday, 3 February, 2009 9:01:42 AM thought of the day

"A human being is part of a whole, called by us "Universe", a part limited in time and space. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and feelings as something seperated from the rest-a kind of optical delusion of our consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us,restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us.Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."

*hands Peter VV a glo-stick and a pacifier*

Peter VV Feb 3, 2009 10:40 AM Re: Re: thought of the day

Peter vv

heartwerk <jo.heartwork > Sent: Tuesday, 3 February, 2009 12:17:12 PM Re: thought of the day

I don't think that affection for just a few people is a restriction - in fact, if you loved everyone the same, would your love be spread so thin that it wasn't actually love at all? Love and compassion are definitely different. I agree with compassion for all, but am glad that I love only a few. I could not possibly love everyone/thing. I don't even like everyone!Jo@gro ups.com, "herbzone" <herbzone@.. .> wrote:>> "A human being is part of a whole, called by us "Universe", a part > limited in time and space. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and > feelings as something seperated from the rest-a kind of optical > delusion of our consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for > us,restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few > persons nearest to us.> Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our > circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of > nature in its beauty.">

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we.

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

--George W. Bush

hahahha....good one frag!PLUR!On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 12:18 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

Peter VV Feb 3, 2009 10:40 AM

Re: Re: thought of the day

Peter vv

heartwerk <jo.heartwork

Tuesday, 3 February, 2009 12:17:12 PM Re: thought of the day

I don't think that affection for just a few people is a restriction - in fact, if you loved everyone the same, would your love be spread so thin that it wasn't actually love at all?

Love and compassion are definitely different. I agree with compassion for all, but am glad that I love only a few. I could not possibly love everyone/thing. I don't even like everyone!Jo@gro ups.com, " herbzone " <herbzone@.. .> wrote:

>> " A human being is part of a whole, called by us " Universe " , a part > limited in time and space. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and > feelings as something seperated from the rest-a kind of optical

> delusion of our consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for > us,restricting us to our personal desires and to affect

ion for a few > persons nearest to us.> Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our > circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole

of > nature in its beauty. " >

" Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we.

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we. "

--George W. Bush

I am not a negative person, and what I said was not negative. Also, being a Pagan, I tend to hug lots of people :-)

Jo

-

Peter VV

Tuesday, February 03, 2009 6:40 PM

Peter vv

heartwerk <jo.heartwork > Sent: Tuesday, 3 February, 2009 12:17:12 PM Re: thought of the day

I don't think that affection for just a few people is a restriction - in fact, if you loved everyone the same, would your love be spread so thin that it wasn't actually love at all? Love and compassion are definitely different. I agree with compassion for all, but am glad that I love only a few. I could not possibly love everyone/thing. I don't even like everyone!Jo@gro ups.com, "herbzone" <herbzone@.. .> wrote:>> "A human being is part of a whole, called by us "Universe", a part > limited in time and space. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and > feelings as something seperated from the rest-a kind of optical > delusion of our consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for > us,restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few > persons nearest to us.> Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our > circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of > nature in its beauty.">

The compassion bit is most definitely.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Tuesday, February 03, 2009 6:42 PM

Re: thought of the day

Isnt that last sentance what veganism is all about?

Peter vv

herbzone <herbzone (AT) (DOT) co.uk> Sent: Tuesday, 3 February, 2009 9:01:42 AM thought of the day

"A human being is part of a whole, called by us "Universe", a part limited in time and space. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and feelings as something seperated from the rest-a kind of optical delusion of our consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us,restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us.Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."

What a picture that conjures :-)

Jo

-

fraggle

Tuesday, February 03, 2009 7:18 PM

Peter VV Feb 3, 2009 10:40 AM Re: Re: thought of the day

Peter vv

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

--George W. Bush

what does paganism have to do with hugging? do you think non pagans don't hug?i hug people i don't know every sunday am at church. its a unity church and relatively non denominational, but they do hug.

blake ps: i am an atheist, btw. On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 12:53 PM, jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork wrote:

I am not a negative person, and what I said was not negative. Also, being a Pagan, I tend to hug lots of people :-)

Jo

-

Peter VV

Peter vv

heartwerk <jo.heartwork

I don't think that affection for just a few people is a restriction - in fact, if you loved everyone the same, would your love be spread so thin that it wasn't actually love at all? Love and compassion are definitely different. I agree with compassion for all, but am glad that I love only a few. I could not possibly love everyone/thing. I don't even like everyone!Jo@gro ups.com, " herbzone " <herbzone@.. .> wrote:>> " A human being is part of a whole, called by us " Universe " , a part > limited in time and space. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and > feelings as something seperated from the rest-a kind of optical > delusion of our consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for > us,restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few > persons nearest to us.> Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our > circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of > nature in its beauty. " >

"am glad that I love only a few", sounds desperately sad.............:(

Peter vv

jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork Sent: Tuesday, 3 February, 2009 7:53:53 PMRe: Re: thought of the day

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv

heartwerk <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comTuesday, 3 February, 2009 12:17:12 PM Re: thought of the day

I don't think that affection for just a few people is a restriction - in fact, if you loved everyone the same, would your love be spread so thin that it wasn't actually love at all? Love and compassion are definitely different. I agree with compassion for all, but am glad that I love only a few. I could not possibly love everyone/thing. I don't even like everyone!Jo@gro ups.com, "herbzone" <herbzone@.. .> wrote:>> "A human being is part of a whole, called by us "Universe", a part > limited in time and space. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and > feelings as something seperated from the rest-a kind of optical > delusion of our consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for > us,restricting us to our personal

desires and to affection for a few > persons nearest to us.> Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our > circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of > nature in its beauty.">

OH YES PLEASE YOU KINKY BEAST.................LOL

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Tuesday, 3 February, 2009 7:18:25 PMRe: Re: thought of the day

Peter VV Feb 3, 2009 10:40 AM @gro ups.com Re: Re: thought of the day

Peter vv

heartwerk <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comTuesday, 3 February, 2009 12:17:12 PM Re: thought of the day

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

--George W. Bush

Hey Blake! , send a hug over here will you?

Peter vv

Blake Wilson <mbw Sent: Tuesday, 3 February, 2009 8:05:29 PMRe: Re: thought of the day

what does paganism have to do with hugging? do you think non pagans don't hug?i hug people i don't know every sunday am at church. its a unity church and relatively non denominational, but they do hug. blake ps: i am an atheist, btw.

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 12:53 PM, jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com> wrote:

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv

ok, now you two get a room....

Peter VV Feb 3, 2009 12:33 PM Re: Re: thought of the day

Peter vv

Blake Wilson <mbw Sent: Tuesday, 3 February, 2009 8:05:29 PMRe: Re: thought of the day

what does paganism have to do with hugging? do you think non pagans don't hug?i hug people i don't know every sunday am at church. its a unity church and relatively non denominational, but they do hug. blake ps: i am an atheist, btw.

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

--George W. Bush

menage et trois?

hahaha

plenty of hugs for everyone who wants them.

Jo want a hug?

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Tuesday, 3 February, 2009 8:39:43 PMRe: Re: thought of the day

Peter VV Feb 3, 2009 12:33 PM @gro ups.com Re: Re: thought of the day

Peter vv

Blake Wilson <mbw@gro ups.comTuesday, 3 February, 2009 8:05:29 PMRe: Re: thought of the day

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv

--George W. Bush

Why - how many people do you love?

I wouldn't pretend to love people I don't - what would be the point. If you knew me you would also know that I am far from sad.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Tuesday, February 03, 2009 8:09 PM

"am glad that I love only a few", sounds desperately sad.............:(

Peter vv

jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork > Sent: Tuesday, 3 February, 2009 7:53:53 PMRe: Re: thought of the day

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv

Yep - I'll have a hug.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Tuesday, February 03, 2009 8:42 PM

menage et trois?

hahaha

plenty of hugs for everyone who wants them.

Jo want a hug?

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Tuesday, 3 February, 2009 8:39:43 PMRe: Re: thought of the day

Peter VV Feb 3, 2009 12:33 PM @gro ups.com Re: Re: thought of the day

Peter vv

Blake Wilson <mbw@gro ups.comTuesday, 3 February, 2009 8:05:29 PMRe: Re: thought of the day

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter vv

--George W. Bush

ok, why am i getting these messages duplicated 6 hours later????

b oody ...

Blake Wilson Feb 3, 2009 12:05 PM Re: Re: thought of the day

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 12:53 PM, jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork > wrote:

Jo

-

Peter VV

Peter vv

--George W. Bush

b oody ...On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 7:13 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

b oody ...

Blake Wilson Feb 3, 2009 12:05 PM

what does paganism have to do with hugging? do you think non pagans don't hug?i hug people i don't know every sunday am at church. its a unity church and relatively non denominational, but they do hug.

blake ps: i am an atheist, btw.

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 12:53 PM, jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork wrote:

Jo

-

Peter VV

Peter vv

heartwerk <jo.heartwork

I don't think that affection for just a few people is a restriction - in fact, if you loved everyone the same, would your love be spread so thin that it wasn't actually love at all? Love and compassion are definitely different. I agree with compassion

for all, but am glad that I love only a few. I could not possibly love everyone/thing. I don't even like everyone!Jo@gro ups.com, " herbzone " <herbzone@.. .> wrote:

>> " A human being is part of a whole, called by us " Universe " , a part > limited in time and space. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and > feelings as something seperated from the rest-a kind of optical

> delusion of our consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for > us,restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few > persons nearest to us.> Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening

our > circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of > nature in its beauty. " >

" Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we.

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we. "

--George W. Bush

I only ever speak from my own experience Blake, I don't speak for the

world!

In my experience, just about all Pagans hug each other on meeting and

parting. In my experience, lots of non-Pagans don't seem to do that,

and look surprised if you hug them as a greeting.

If you hug, I am glad.

Why are you in church if you are an atheist? Not causing trouble I

hope :-)

Jo

Blake Wilson

Feb 3, 2009 12:05 PM

what does paganism have to do with hugging? do you think non pagans

don't hug?

i hug people i don't know every sunday am at church. its a unity

church and relatively non denominational, but they do hug.

blake

ps: i am an atheist, btw.

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 12:53 PM, jo.heartwork

<jo.heartwork wrote:

I am not a negative person, and what I said was not negative. Also,

being a Pagan, I tend to hug lots of people :-)

Jo

Unity is a very progressive church. The founder, Charles Fillmore, was an ethical vegetarian who did not eat animal flesh. He refused to wear leather and fur. That aspect does not seem present in today's church unfortunately.

There is no talk of hell, damnation, or even an afterlife. They are very into the " power of positive thinking " concept. We meditate a couple times during the service. They make a clear differentiation between the religion " about " Jesus, and the religion " of " Jesus (which is typical of the split between traditional and liberal Christianity in a way).

I grew up with my mother as the music director in a Unity church in an old folks home, and her brother was an openly gay assistant minister at another congregation. I suppose its as close to a religious upbringing as I could claim, but I've never " believed " .

Basically, my wife makes me go. And hey, the choir sings Beatles tunes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_Church

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 12:46 AM, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

I only ever speak from my own experience Blake, I don't speak for the

world!

In my experience, just about all Pagans hug each other on meeting and

parting. In my experience, lots of non-Pagans don't seem to do that,

and look surprised if you hug them as a greeting.

If you hug, I am glad.

Why are you in church if you are an atheist? Not causing trouble I

hope :-)

Jo

Blake Wilson

Feb 3, 2009 12:05 PM

what does paganism have to do with hugging? do you think non pagans

don't hug?

i hug people i don't know every sunday am at church. its a unity

church and relatively non denominational, but they do hug.

blake

ps: i am an atheist, btw.

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 12:53 PM, jo.heartwork

<jo.heartwork wrote:

I am not a negative person, and what I said was not negative. Also,

being a Pagan, I tend to hug lots of people :-)

Jo

and that's they line i was waiting for

Basically, my wife makes me go. heh heh heh heh

Blake Wilson Feb 4, 2009 7:25 AM Re: Re: thought of the day

Unity is a very progressive church. The founder, Charles Fillmore, was an ethical vegetarian who did not eat animal flesh. He refused to wear leather and fur. That aspect does not seem present in today's church unfortunately. There is no talk of hell, damnation, or even an afterlife. They are very into the "power of positive thinking" concept. We meditate a couple times during the service. They make a clear differentiation between the religion "about" Jesus, and the religion "of" Jesus (which is typical of the split between traditional and liberal Christianity in a way). I grew up with my mother as the music director in a Unity church in an old folks home, and her brother was an openly gay assistant minister at another congregation. I suppose its as close to a religious upbringing as I could claim, but I've never "believed". Basically, my wife makes me go. And hey, the choir sings Beatles tunes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_Church

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 12:46 AM, heartwerk <jo.heartwork > wrote:

I only ever speak from my own experience Blake, I don't speak for the world!In my experience, just about all Pagans hug each other on meeting and parting. In my experience, lots of non-Pagans don't seem to do that, and look surprised if you hug them as a greeting.If you hug, I am glad.Why are you in church if you are an atheist? Not causing trouble I hope :-)Jo

Blake Wilson Feb 3, 2009 12:05 PM Re: Re: thought of the day what does paganism have to do with hugging? do you think non pagans don't hug?i hug people i don't know every sunday am at church. its a unity church and relatively non denominational, but they do hug. blake ps: i am an atheist, btw. On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 12:53 PM, jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork > wrote:

I am not a negative person, and what I said was not negative. Also, being a Pagan, I tend to hug lots of people :-)Jo

So, men are scattered and smeared over the desert grass,

And the generals have accomplished nothing.

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)