IndiaDivine.org

What is everyo9ne reading

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Jo,

I've only been vegan since last August, so food issues and veganism

are my current hobbyhorses. I actually like a fairly wide range of

subjects, but I like to read as much on an issue as possible when I

become interested in something--I enjoy researching things.

Reading the Wheel of Time series seems to be a common link in this

group: I finished Book 5 and I'm going to start Book 6, Lord of Chaos,

as soon as I finish the small mountain of books already next to the

bed.

Oh, I copied this from my Amazon profile page:

----------

Historical fiction/mysteries, non-fiction on the subject du jour,

*good* sci-fi lite and fantasy genre material, children's lit (I have

many nieces and nephews), and sometimes a popular fiction title are my

favorite kinds of books.

----------

I have several hundred books on my Amazon " wishlist " (I use it

primarily to remind me of what I'm looking for at the library, since

none of my family members remember to check it for holidays and

birthdays) and I've reviewed a couple dozen books, if you're

interested what I read/have read. I could send you the link, if

you're curious about my book interests. Although, if the library

carries the book, I remove it from the list; so on second thought,

it's just a list of harder-to-find books or those I want permanently

because I found them useful/very enjoyable.

Whitty

, " jo.heartwork " <jo.heartwork

wrote:

>

> Hi Whitty.

>

> Do you read any books other than to do with veganism/food?

>

> Jo

>

Oooh, I recommend " The Whale Warriors " by Peter Heller if you are

interested in Sea Shepherd. It does a good job of narrating one of

their anti-whaling campaigns.

, NATASHA HARHOLD <greyhounddog

wrote:

>

> " Earth Warrior, " by David Morris. It's about Paul Watson and the

Sea

> Shepherd Conservation Society.

>

>

> Missie Harhold

> and Gracie the Ibizan Hound

> and Jeanie the Greyhound

> greyhounddog

>

> " Because nothing worthwhile in this country has ever happened

unless

> somebody, somewhere stood up when it was hard; stood up when they

were

> told – no you can't, and said yes we can. " Barack Obama

>

i plan on re-reading the series, again (for about the 100th time) when the new book comes out...so i can remember what the heck is going on....

just finished re-reading, again, the Ice and Fire series by George R R Martn, in a vain hope that the enxt book will come out.....

whitty__ Feb 8, 2009 4:02 PM Re: What is everyo9ne reading

Hi Jo,I've only been vegan since last August, so food issues and veganism are my current hobbyhorses. I actually like a fairly wide range of subjects, but I like to read as much on an issue as possible when I become interested in something--I enjoy researching things.Reading the Wheel of Time series seems to be a common link in this group: I finished Book 5 and I'm going to start Book 6, Lord of Chaos, as soon as I finish the small mountain of books already next to the bed.Oh, I copied this from my Amazon profile page:----------Historical fiction/mysteries, non-fiction on the subject du jour, *good* sci-fi lite and fantasy genre material, children's lit (I have many nieces and nephews), and sometimes a popular fiction title are my favorite kinds of books.----------I have several hundred books on my Amazon "wishlist" (I use it primarily to remind me of what I'm looking for at the library, since none of my family members remember to check it for holidays and birthdays) and I've reviewed a couple dozen books, if you're interested what I read/have read. I could send you the link, if you're curious about my book interests. Although, if the library carries the book, I remove it from the list; so on second thought, it's just a list of harder-to-find books or those I want permanently because I found them useful/very enjoyable. Whitty , "jo.heartwork" <jo.heartwork wrote:>> Hi Whitty.> > Do you read any books other than to do with veganism/food? > > Jo>

So, men are scattered and smeared over the desert grass,

And the generals have accomplished nothing.

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)

HI Whitty

I agree. I always read lots on a new interest, and did on veganism

too.

I really must try to read the Wheel of Time books, although I'm more

into murder/mystery at present.

Jo

, " whitty__ " <ravenwolf18 wrote:

>

> Hi Jo,

>

> I've only been vegan since last August, so food issues and veganism

> are my current hobbyhorses. I actually like a fairly wide range of

> subjects, but I like to read as much on an issue as possible when I

> become interested in something--I enjoy researching things.

>

> Reading the Wheel of Time series seems to be a common link in this

> group: I finished Book 5 and I'm going to start Book 6, Lord of

Chaos,

> as soon as I finish the small mountain of books already next to the

> bed.

>

> Oh, I copied this from my Amazon profile page:

> ----------

> Historical fiction/mysteries, non-fiction on the subject du jour,

> *good* sci-fi lite and fantasy genre material, children's lit (I

have

> many nieces and nephews), and sometimes a popular fiction title are

my

> favorite kinds of books.

> ----------

>

> I have several hundred books on my Amazon " wishlist " (I use it

> primarily to remind me of what I'm looking for at the library,

since

> none of my family members remember to check it for holidays and

> birthdays) and I've reviewed a couple dozen books, if you're

> interested what I read/have read. I could send you the link, if

> you're curious about my book interests. Although, if the library

> carries the book, I remove it from the list; so on second thought,

> it's just a list of harder-to-find books or those I want

permanently

> because I found them useful/very enjoyable.

>

> Whitty

>

>

> , " jo.heartwork " <jo.heartwork@>

> wrote:

> >

> > Hi Whitty.

> >

> > Do you read any books other than to do with veganism/food?

> >

> > Jo

> >

>

Thanks! I will definitely look that up! Marine mammals, especially whales (and especially Orca whales) have always interested me. My husband and I took a trip out to Vancouver about a decade ago specifically to see Orcas. We missed a super-pod by a week and saw exactly zero. But we did see some Grey whales and loads of sea lions. On a trip to the east coast, we saw Humpbacks and Fins. And my "tough guy" husband got seasick <vbg>. I, however, did not. Actually, reading this thread is giving me some ideas for future reading. I love reading, so I'm really loving this thread! Missie Harholdand Gracie the Ibizan Houndand Jeanie the Greyhoundgreyhounddog“Because nothing worthwhile in this country has ever happened unless somebody, somewhere stood up when it was hard; stood up when they were told – no you can’t, and said yes we can.” Barack Obama Oooh, I recommend "The Whale Warriors" by Peter Heller if you are interested in Sea Shepherd. It does a good job of narrating one of their anti-whaling campaigns.

I'm plowing (hah, funny/appropriate metaphor!) my way thru a library copy of " china study " . so far so good but the animal experiments that justify the data really turn me off, as does the author's justification.

blake

I agree with that one!

, Blake Wilson <mbw wrote:

>

> I'm plowing (hah, funny/appropriate metaphor!) my way thru a library copy of

> " china study " .

>

> so far so good but the animal experiments that justify the data really turn

> me off, as does the author's justification.

>

> blake

>

Ah yes. I've not read it. In fact I don't read any books on veganism, or vegetarianism now. I know what I like to do, and what I don't and it makes me miserable to read them. I read lots of articles, books and research on health issues, but that's about it.

Jo

-

Blake Wilson

Monday, February 09, 2009 3:11 PM

Re: Re: What is everyo9ne reading

I'm plowing (hah, funny/appropriate metaphor!) my way thru a library copy of "china study". so far so good but the animal experiments that justify the data really turn me off, as does the author's justification. blake

Notice I avoided using the obvious pun....ghost writer?..............damn, just couldnt help it.........

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Sunday, 8 February, 2009 10:41:22 PMRe: What is everyo9ne reading

yeah, Brandon Sanderson

Peter VV Feb 8, 2009 11:39 AM @gro ups.com Re: What is everyo9ne reading

Apparently someone is finishing off the last one for him......... .

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>@gro ups.comSunday, 8 February, 2009 7:21:26 PMRe: What is everyo9ne reading

first books are great.

a tad long...and Robert Jordan has issues with women apparently ...well, had, as he died.

unfortunately, the series lasts waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay toooo long, and he ended up dying before finishing it.

i really wasn't thrilled with the last few books in the series.

but, first books are very very good

Peter VV Feb 8, 2009 3:40 AM @gro ups.com Re: What is everyo9ne reading

I keep meaning to start the Wheel of Time series, but at the speed I read, it would take me all year!, just got the new Robert Rankin out of the library its called Necrophenia, should be a good laugh....... ......big fan of his.

Peter vv

"yarrow (AT) sfo (DOT) com" <yarrow@gro ups.comSunday, 8 February, 2009 6:04:10 AMRe: What is everyo9ne reading

While waiting for the flat tire to get fixed all afternoon, I finished Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell -- fascinating stuff about cultural underpinnings of behavior. He tells good stories and makes seductive connections and uses sweeping generalizations and yet makes a good case. For instance, rice-farming cultures work 3000 hours a year, so their proverbs have to do with working hard (get up before dawn every day to be prosperous), and the cultural tendency is to persevere more than other cultures. Also, numbers in Asian languages are more logical than in Western languages (ten-three and three-tens instead of thirteen and thirty, respectively) .

The next one I'm eager to read is Growing green : animal-free organic techniques / by Jenny Hall and Iain Tolhurst.

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)

its not 100% complete

but

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en & id=FIRLLcLjyC8C & dq=colin+campbell+china+study & printsec=frontcover & source=web & ots=h8Yu53d6hB & sig=zT7elsrb0LHp6H8rOxvCOXd2Yvs & sa=X & oi=book_result & resnum=5 & ct=result#PPP1,M1

"jo.heartwork" Feb 9, 2009 9:37 AM Re: Re: What is everyo9ne reading

Ah yes. I've not read it. In fact I don't read any books on veganism, or vegetarianism now. I know what I like to do, and what I don't and it makes me miserable to read them. I read lots of articles, books and research on health issues, but that's about it.

Jo

-

Blake Wilson

I'm plowing (hah, funny/appropriate metaphor!) my way thru a library copy of "china study". so far so good but the animal experiments that justify the data really turn me off, as does the author's justification. blake

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)

you mean china study, frag? please elaborate upon your reply....blake On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 6:11 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

its not 100% complete

but

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en & id=FIRLLcLjyC8C & dq=colin+campbell+china+study & printsec=frontcover & source=web & ots=h8Yu53d6hB & sig=zT7elsrb0LHp6H8rOxvCOXd2Yvs & sa=X & oi=book_result & resnum=5 & ct=result#PPP1,M1

" jo.heartwork " Feb 9, 2009 9:37 AM

Jo

-

Blake Wilson

I'm plowing (hah, funny/appropriate metaphor!) my way thru a library copy of " china study " . so far so good but the animal experiments that justify the data really turn me off, as does the author's justification.

blake

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)

yes

the china study, or most of it, is on the link i sent.

Blake Wilson Feb 10, 2009 6:41 AM Re: Re: What is everyo9ne reading

you mean china study, frag? please elaborate upon your reply....blake

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 6:11 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

its not 100% complete

but

Jo

-

Blake Wilson

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)

along the same vein i would recommend Sea of Slaughter by Farley Mowat.

I read it quite a long long time ago, but it has stuck in my mind many o year.

NATASHA HARHOLD Feb 9, 2009 4:25 AM Re: Re: What is everyo9ne reading

Thanks! I will definitely look that up! Marine mammals, especially whales (and especially Orca whales) have always interested me. My husband and I took a trip out to Vancouver about a decade ago specifically to see Orcas. We missed a super-pod by a week and saw exactly zero. But we did see some Grey whales and loads of sea lions. On a trip to the east coast, we saw Humpbacks and Fins. And my "tough guy" husband got seasick <vbg>. I, however, did not.

Actually, reading this thread is giving me some ideas for future reading. I love reading, so I'm really loving this thread!

Missie Harhold

and Gracie the Ibizan Hound

and Jeanie the Greyhound

greyhounddog (AT) earthlink (DOT) net

“Because nothing worthwhile in this country has ever happened unless somebody, somewhere stood up when it was hard; stood up when they were told – no you can’t, and said yes we can.†Barack Obama

Oooh, I recommend "The Whale Warriors" by Peter Heller if you are interested in Sea Shepherd. It does a good job of narrating one of their anti-whaling campaigns.

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)

hah, i thought you were saying the study itself wasn't complete....i didn't see the link...i thought you had some secret info somewhere that would " complete " the study.....heh. blake

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 3:28 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

yes

Blake Wilson Feb 10, 2009 6:41 AM

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 6:11 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

its not 100% complete

but

" jo.heartwork " Feb 9, 2009 9:37 AM

Jo

-

Blake Wilson

blake

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)

i'm holding my secret info til the time is right to strike

victory shall be mine

Blake Wilson Feb 10, 2009 3:07 PM Re: Re: What is everyo9ne reading

hah, i thought you were saying the study itself wasn't complete....i didn't see the link...i thought you had some secret info somewhere that would "complete" the study.....heh. blake

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 3:28 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

yes

Blake Wilson Feb 10, 2009 6:41 AM Re: Re: What is everyo9ne reading

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 6:11 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

its not 100% complete

but

Jo

-

Blake Wilson

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)