IndiaDivine.org

Vegan Chorizo Dosa

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The dosa is a South Indian crêpe made from a fermented batter of ground rice and lentils. It's often brilliantly crispy on the edges, tender further in, and may be stuffed with soft potato pieces, onion and spices. It may also be served plain or accompanied by another stuffing. Tonight, however, was a night of limited leftovers. With a partial tub of dosa batter from Patel Brothers on Devon in my refrigerator, but nothing else prepared from anywhere near the same subcontinent, I deviated from

what usually fills a dosa. I reheated tofu scramble from an old favorite recipe of mine, adding some vegan chorizo at the end. Two of my favorite brands are Upton's Naturals and Melissa's Soyrizo. The soft center of the dosas went quite well with the gentle and rich flavor of the tofu scram.

— Chris Brunn / Comments (3)

Illinois Master Gardener / February 12, 2009 8:31 AM

Great use of leftovers!

Waste No, Want Not!

Kate / February 12, 2009 10:01 AM

Yum! Do you make your dosa in a regular nonstick pan, or what?

Chris Brunn / February 13, 2009 8:09 AM

Hi Kate, you don't need a special dosa pan. I'm a big fan of using a well-seasoned cast iron fry pan - one with shallow enough edges to get an easy flip. The dosa releases pretty much just as easily as on a non-stick pan, but gets a nice golden color from the iron that I don't recall seeing when using non-stick. That said, I was taught to make dosas on non-stick in the US, and it would work just fine.

Peter vv