IndiaDivine.org

Pancake Day

Rate this topic

Guest guest

As Pancake Day approaches, what is your favourite way of serving pancakes? I really like mine best with lemon juice and sugar, especially on Pancake Day. Sometimes I will have them with maple syrup and ice cream - although I prefer the pancakes to be made with buckwheat flour for that combination.

Is there a Pancake Day in America?

Jo

At 11:01 PM +0000 2/14/09, jo.heartwork wrote:

As Pancake Day approaches, what is your favourite way of serving

pancakes? I really like mine best with lemon juice and sugar,

especially on Pancake Day. Sometimes I will have them with maple

syrup and ice cream - although I prefer the pancakes to be made with

buckwheat flour for that combination.

>>

Now this is one holiday I've never heard of. What does one do on

Pancake Day? Is it just an excuse to eat pancakes at every meal?

Can't remember the last time I had pancakes!

Jo, do you just sprinkle the lemon juice and sugar over the pancakes?

My favorite addition is a layer of sweetened red bean (azuki) paste

between two pancakes and then, if I'm feeling naughty, a sprinkle of

powdered sugar over the whole wonderful mess.

They celebrate Mardi Gras or Fat Tuesday here in America the day

before Ash Wednesday, but I don't think it has anything to do with

pancakes at all. How interesting...anybody know anything about the

food served during Mardi Gras?

, " jo.heartwork " <jo.heartwork

wrote:

>

> As Pancake Day approaches, what is your favourite way of serving

>

> Is there a Pancake Day in America?

>

> Jo

>

Pancake Day is said to be the time when people used up their eggs and flour so they could eat more basically for Lent, i.e. six weeks before Easter. It has just become a tradition in the UK to have pancakes on that day. Most people do seem to have pancakes on that day, and various villages and towns have pancake races. These are races where people don their aprons and take to the streets with a frying pan and pancake, and they have to toss the pancake for the duration of the short race.

Jo

-

yarrow

Saturday, February 14, 2009 11:07 PM

Re: Pancake Day

At 11:01 PM +0000 2/14/09, jo.heartwork wrote:

As Pancake Day approaches, what is your favourite way of serving pancakes? I really like mine best with lemon juice and sugar, especially on Pancake Day. Sometimes I will have them with maple syrup and ice cream - although I prefer the pancakes to be made with buckwheat flour for that combination.

>>

Now this is one holiday I've never heard of. What does one do on Pancake Day? Is it just an excuse to eat pancakes at every meal?

Can't remember the last time I had pancakes!

I have never heard of Pancake Day, but it sounds like so much fun! We

don't have anything like that here in America. No pancake day, but

maybe we should have one?

Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras) is fairly large here and I know here

specifically in Seattle there are parties all over to celebrate. I

don't partake as it can get a little out of hand with all the crazy

drunkenness. Mardi Gras food would be mostly consisting of Cajun and

Creole food I believe.

I have made pancakes with lemon juice in the batter which is very good.

Have fun and enjoy those pancakes!

Debra

, " jo.heartwork " <jo.heartwork

wrote:

>

> Pancake Day is said to be the time when people used up their eggs

and flour so they could eat more basically for Lent, i.e. six weeks

before Easter. It has just become a tradition in the UK to have

pancakes on that day. Most people do seem to have pancakes on that

day, and various villages and towns have pancake races. These are

races where people don their aprons and take to the streets with a

frying pan and pancake, and they have to toss the pancake for the

duration of the short race.

>

> Jo

>

> -

> yarrow

>

> Saturday, February 14, 2009 11:07 PM

> Re: Pancake Day

>

>

>

> At 11:01 PM +0000 2/14/09, jo.heartwork wrote:

> As Pancake Day approaches, what is your favourite way of serving

>

> Is there a Pancake Day in America?

> >>

>

>

> Now this is one holiday I've never heard of. What does one do on

Pancake Day? Is it just an excuse to eat pancakes at every meal?

>

>

> Can't remember the last time I had pancakes!

>

At 1:54 AM +0000 2/15/09, jo.heartwork wrote:

Pancake Day is said to be the time when people used up their eggs

and flour so they could eat more basically for Lent, i.e. six weeks

before Easter. It has just become a tradition in the UK to have

pancakes on that day. Most people do seem to have pancakes on

that day, and various villages and towns have pancake races.

These are races where people don their aprons and take to the streets

with a frying pan and pancake, and they have to toss the pancake for

the duration of the short race.

>>

Sounds like fun! With all the snow you've been having, will the

pancake racers be wearing skis?

The only thing comparable I know of is the San Francisco

Marathon, where people create elaborate costumes, sometimes to be

" worn " by several people, to run the race. So it's a silly

race for many people, but also a serious race for competitors who want

to win. I think it's in May.

When is Pancake Day?

Hi Yarrow

Pancake Day is on the Christian festival of Shrove Tuesday... so by the sounds of what others have been saying, the same day as folks in the US celebrate Fat Tuesday.

Sounds like our equivalent of the SF marathon is the London marathon, with people in very silly costumes alongside the serious runners - a couple of years ago, someone "ran" it in an 18th century diving outfit - I believe it took them a little over 7 days!

BB

Peter

-

yarrow

Sunday, February 15, 2009 5:38 AM

Pancake Day is said to be the time when people used up their eggs and flour so they could eat more basically for Lent, i.e. six weeks before Easter. It has just become a tradition in the UK to have pancakes on that day. Most people do seem to have pancakes on that day, and various villages and towns have pancake races. These are races where people don their aprons and take to the streets with a frying pan and pancake, and they have to toss the pancake for the duration of the short race.

>>

Sounds like fun! With all the snow you've been having, will the pancake racers be wearing skis?

The only thing comparable I know of is the San Francisco Marathon, where people create elaborate costumes, sometimes to be "worn" by several people, to run the race. So it's a silly race for many people, but also a serious race for competitors who want to win. I think it's in May.

When is Pancake Day?

Yes, that's the way I do them. I don't think I have seen sweetened adzuki bean paste in the UK.

Pancake Day is on Shrove Tuesday here, the day before Ash Wednesday, so it is the same as Mardi Gras or Fat Tuesday.

Jo

-

whitty__

Sunday, February 15, 2009 1:42 AM

Jo, do you just sprinkle the lemon juice and sugar over the pancakes? My favorite addition is a layer of sweetened red bean (azuki) paste between two pancakes and then, if I'm feeling naughty, a sprinkle of powdered sugar over the whole wonderful mess. They celebrate Mardi Gras or Fat Tuesday here in America the day before Ash Wednesday, but I don't think it has anything to do with pancakes at all. How interesting...anybody know anything about the food served during Mardi Gras? , "jo.heartwork" <jo.heartwork wrote:>> As Pancake Day approaches, what is your favourite way of serving pancakes? I really like mine best with lemon juice and sugar, especially on Pancake Day. Sometimes I will have them with maple syrup and ice cream - although I prefer the pancakes to be made with buckwheat flour for that combination.> > Is there a Pancake Day in America?> > Jo>

You could always start a 'new tradition' :-)

Thanks for the good wishes.

Jo

-

dadiemert

Sunday, February 15, 2009 4:25 AM

I have never heard of Pancake Day, but it sounds like so much fun! Wedon't have anything like that here in America. No pancake day, butmaybe we should have one? Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras) is fairly large here and I know herespecifically in Seattle there are parties all over to celebrate. Idon't partake as it can get a little out of hand with all the crazydrunkenness. Mardi Gras food would be mostly consisting of Cajun andCreole food I believe.I have made pancakes with lemon juice in the batter which is very good. Have fun and enjoy those pancakes!Debra , "jo.heartwork" <jo.heartworkwrote:>> Pancake Day is said to be the time when people used up their eggsand flour so they could eat more basically for Lent, i.e. six weeksbefore Easter. It has just become a tradition in the UK to havepancakes on that day. Most people do seem to have pancakes on thatday, and various villages and towns have pancake races. These areraces where people don their aprons and take to the streets with afrying pan and pancake, and they have to toss the pancake for theduration of the short race.> > Jo> > - > yarrow > > Saturday, February 14, 2009 11:07 PM> Re: Pancake Day> > > > At 11:01 PM +0000 2/14/09, jo.heartwork wrote:> As Pancake Day approaches, what is your favourite way of servingpancakes? I really like mine best with lemon juice and sugar,especially on Pancake Day. Sometimes I will have them with maplesyrup and ice cream - although I prefer the pancakes to be made withbuckwheat flour for that combination.> > Is there a Pancake Day in America?> >>> > > Now this is one holiday I've never heard of. What does one do onPancake Day? Is it just an excuse to eat pancakes at every meal?> > > Can't remember the last time I had pancakes!>

LOL - I expect people will do it in the snow if it is still around on 24 February :-)

Jo

-

yarrow

>>

Sounds like fun! With all the snow you've been having, will the pancake racers be wearing skis?

The only thing comparable I know of is the San Francisco Marathon, where people create elaborate costumes, sometimes to be "worn" by several people, to run the race. So it's a silly race for many people, but also a serious race for competitors who want to win. I think it's in May.

When is Pancake Day?

HI Peter / Yarrow

I remember seeing that person in the diving costume. I wouldn't have been surprised if it had killed him!

BBJo

-

Peter

Sunday, February 15, 2009 9:55 AM

Hi Yarrow

Pancake Day is on the Christian festival of Shrove Tuesday... so by the sounds of what others have been saying, the same day as folks in the US celebrate Fat Tuesday.

Sounds like our equivalent of the SF marathon is the London marathon, with people in very silly costumes alongside the serious runners - a couple of years ago, someone "ran" it in an 18th century diving outfit - I believe it took them a little over 7 days!

BB

Peter

-

yarrow

>>

When is Pancake Day?