IndiaDivine.org

Jumpers for chickens appeal kits out 1,500

Rate this topic

Guest guest

A Norfolk woman who rescued 1,500 balding battery chickens has had a woolly jumper knitted for each of them to protect them from the cold.

Last Updated: 3:57PM GMT 16 Feb 2009

Jo Eglen aged 29 resues hens at her shelter in Norfolk Photo: MASON NEWS SERVICE

Jo Eglen, 29, who runs the Little Hen Rescue Centre in Norwich, has rescued and re-homed a total of 5,750 battery hens.

But many stressed out battery farm birds lose their plumage so Mrs Eglen turned to her local community in December asking for people willing to knit jumpers for the bedraggled birds.

The response was incredible and she has now kitted out 1,500 birds with woolly jumpers to keep the warm in the winter months.

The teaching assistant, who is a mother-of-two, began rescuing battery hens after a visit to a local farm.

She said: "I went into a battery farm and saw how they lived and died. I just thought it was such a waste of life.

"Some battery farms have up to 10,000 hens of the same age. But when the birds stop or start to slow laying they are sent to the slaughterhouse - not to be used as meat, but just to be culled.

"We know that once they're out of the farms they start laying good eggs again.

"They get quite thin and bald because of the stress and heat. About 60 per cent of the hens that come through are bald.

"We have patterns on our website that are straight-forward and simple. We've had 1,500 jumpers come through in just the past two months.

We've had so many different kinds - Christmas-themed jumpers, multi-coloured ones, some with bows and stripes."

Mrs Eglen set up the Little Hen Rescue Centre with another volunteer David Doy, after being given free use of land by a local farmer.

Hi JoWhy can't I help thinking of Chicken Run? :-)BBPeter2009/2/17 jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork

A Norfolk woman who rescued 1,500 balding battery chickens has had a woolly jumper knitted for each of them to protect them from the cold.

Jo Eglen aged 29 resues hens at her shelter in Norfolk Photo: MASON NEWS SERVICE

Jo Eglen, 29, who runs the Little Hen Rescue Centre in Norwich, has rescued and re-homed a total of 5,750 battery hens.

But many stressed out battery farm birds lose their plumage so Mrs Eglen turned to her local community in December asking for people willing to knit jumpers for the bedraggled birds.

The response was incredible and she has now kitted out 1,500 birds with woolly jumpers to keep the warm in the winter months.

The teaching assistant, who is a mother-of-two, began rescuing battery hens after a visit to a local farm.

She said: " I went into a battery farm and saw how they lived and died. I just thought it was such a waste of life.

" Some battery farms have up to 10,000 hens of the same age. But when the birds stop or start to slow laying they are sent to the slaughterhouse - not to be used as meat, but just to be culled.

" We know that once they're out of the farms they start laying good eggs again.

" They get quite thin and bald because of the stress and heat. About 60 per cent of the hens that come through are bald.

" We have patterns on our website that are straight-forward and simple. We've had 1,500 jumpers come through in just the past two months.

We've had so many different kinds - Christmas-themed jumpers, multi-coloured ones, some with bows and stripes. "

Mrs Eglen set up the Little Hen Rescue Centre with another volunteer David Doy, after being given free use of land by a local farmer.

Hi Peter

LOL - that was such a funny film :-)

I do think those hens look really good in their jumpers, don't you?

BBJo

-

Peter Kebbell

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 6:56 PM

Re: Jumpers for chickens appeal kits out 1,500

Hi JoWhy can't I help thinking of Chicken Run? :-)BBPeter

2009/2/17 jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork >

She said: "I went into a battery farm and saw how they lived and died. I just thought it was such a waste of life.

"Some battery farms have up to 10,000 hens of the same age. But when the birds stop or start to slow laying they are sent to the slaughterhouse - not to be used as meat, but just to be culled.

"We know that once they're out of the farms they start laying good eggs again.

"They get quite thin and bald because of the stress and heat. About 60 per cent of the hens that come through are bald.

"We have patterns on our website that are straight-forward and simple. We've had 1,500 jumpers come through in just the past two months.

We've had so many different kinds - Christmas-themed jumpers, multi-coloured ones, some with bows and stripes."

Yep - just can't help wondering where the one with glasses has got to :-)BBPeter2009/2/17 jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork

Hi Peter

LOL - that was such a funny film :-)

I do think those hens look really good in their jumpers, don't you?

BBJo

-

Peter Kebbell

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 6:56 PM

Re: Jumpers for chickens appeal kits out 1,500

Hi JoWhy can't I help thinking of Chicken Run? :-)BBPeter

2009/2/17 jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork

She said: " I went into a battery farm and saw how they lived and died. I just thought it was such a waste of life.

" Some battery farms have up to 10,000 hens of the same age. But when the birds stop or start to slow laying they are sent to the slaughterhouse - not to be used as meat, but just to be culled.

" We know that once they're out of the farms they start laying good eggs again.

" They get quite thin and bald because of the stress and heat. About 60 per cent of the hens that come through are bald.

" We have patterns on our website that are straight-forward and simple. We've had 1,500 jumpers come through in just the past two months.

We've had so many different kinds - Christmas-themed jumpers, multi-coloured ones, some with bows and stripes. "

Hi Peter

I'm going to have to watch that again.

BB

Jo

, Peter Kebbell <metalscarab

wrote:

>

> Yep - just can't help wondering where the one with glasses has got

to :-)

>

> BB

> Peter

>

> 2009/2/17 jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork

>

> > Hi Peter

> >

> > LOL - that was such a funny film :-)

> >

> > I do think those hens look really good in their jumpers, don't

you?

> >

> > BB

> > Jo

> >

> >

> > -

> > ** Peter Kebbell <metalscarab

> > *To:*

> > *Sent:* Tuesday, February 17, 2009 6:56 PM

> > *Subject:* Re: Jumpers for chickens appeal kits out

> >

> > Hi Jo

> >

> > Why can't I help thinking of Chicken Run? :-)

> >

> > BB

> > Peter

> >

> > 2009/2/17 jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork

> >

> >> A Norfolk woman who rescued 1,500 balding battery chickens has

had a

> >> woolly jumper knitted for each of them to protect them from the

cold.

> >>

> >>

> >> Last Updated: 3:57PM GMT 16 Feb 2009

> >> [image: Jo Eglen: Woman knits 1,500 jumpers for chickens] Jo

Eglen aged

> >> 29 resues hens at her shelter in Norfolk Photo: MASON NEWS

SERVICE

> >>

> >> Jo Eglen, 29, who runs the Little Hen Rescue Centre in Norwich,

has

> >> rescued and re-homed a total of 5,750 battery hens.

> >>

> >> But many stressed out battery farm birds lose their plumage so

Mrs Eglen

> >> turned to her local community in December asking for people

willing to knit

> >> jumpers for the bedraggled birds.

> >>

> >> The response was incredible and she has now kitted out 1,500

birds with

> >> woolly jumpers to keep the warm in the winter months.

> >>

> >> The teaching assistant, who is a mother-of-two, began rescuing

battery

> >> hens after a visit to a local farm.

> >>

> >> She said: " I went into a battery farm and saw how they lived and

died. I

> >> just thought it was such a waste of life.

> >>

> >> " Some battery farms have up to 10,000 hens of the same age. But

when the

> >> birds stop or start to slow laying they are sent to the

slaughterhouse - not

> >> to be used as meat, but just to be culled.

> >>

> >> " We know that once they're out of the farms they start laying

good eggs

> >> again.

> >>

> >> " They get quite thin and bald because of the stress and heat.

About 60 per

> >> cent of the hens that come through are bald.

> >>

> >> " We have patterns on our website that are straight-forward and

simple.

> >> We've had 1,500 jumpers come through in just the past two months.

> >>

> >> We've had so many different kinds - Christmas-themed jumpers,

> >> multi-coloured ones, some with bows and stripes. "

> >>

> >> Mrs Eglen set up the Little Hen Rescue Centre with another

volunteer David

> >> Doy, after being given free use of land by a local farmer.

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>