IndiaDivine.org

A family of foxes has made its home in a spindly tree 30ft in the air.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Last Updated: 2:41PM GMT 25 Feb 2009

This photo was captured by Donna Martell from Ipswich in Suffolk, after three foxes made a temporary home in a tree in her garden. Photo: CATERS NEWS AGENCY

Donna Martell discovered the unlikely den after noticing the young fox club scaling the branches.

It is thought the foxes, which usually live in burrows underground, were escaping the cold conditions.

Miss Martell, 26, and partner Carl Clark, 33, say the family has been living in the tree in their garden an Ipswich, Suffolk since January.

"When I first saw them I called Carl and said there was a cat stuck in the tree," said Miss Martell,

"But when we looked closer we realised it was a fox up there, not just one but two.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw them up so high.

"We have lived here since July last year and I had seen some foxes in the garden from time to time but never in the tree.

"I think they must like it up there because there are vines and branches which they can lay on in the sunshine during the day.

"They were probably trying to keep their paws dry and keep out of the cold."

Partner Carl, 33, who works for Marks & Spencer, said the foxes resting in the couple's tree made for a beautiful sight.

He said: "They were beautiful creatures just resting in the sunshine. It was cold but they had a good spot in the sun and they stayed up there most of the day just relaxing and looking snug."

Julian Roughton, Director of Suffolk Wildlife Trust, said it was very unusual for foxes to climb as high as trees and especially make a home in them.

He said: "They are good climbers when they need to be but this is certainly not normal behaviour.

"It might be that they are out and about feeding at night, but during the day they are happy to lay back and bask in a sunny spot.

"And if this spot happens to be in a very safe, secure position then so much the better, so this tree must feel very safe to them."