IndiaDivine.org

noobie

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I am so sorry for the delay in responding. We recently moved my mom here from CA (San Luis Obispo) and she has dementia...she is getting meaner and nastier than ever and considering she has always been mean and nasty, its getting very bad.

Anyways, I relieve some of my stress by cooking and looking for new recipes. I will be gardening soon and that helps, too.

I honestly think the fact that I am eating healthy probably helps me stay somewhat sane...remember, I said somewhat.

Someone asked me where I had lived in SOCAL, it was Rancho Cucamonga and yes, I LOVED Vince's!

Hope to be in here more the next few days.

stay safe all,

Karyn

arborhall <arborhall Sent: Monday, March 16, 2009 4:50:03 PMRe: Re: noobie

Still too cold up here in the Pacific NW to start planting, but some of my herbs do great winter-ing over. I love my lemon thyme! Not only is it pretty, it tastes good. I have some chives, and some winter savory, and a regular thyme. Inside I have my variegated society garlic and some oregano (I always forget what kind, it's a succulent and can't stay out over winter, smells heavenly in the house if you brush up against it, grows like a weed). I have some catnip mint for the cats and peppermint and spearmint for me. My fennel lived through the winter, too! I want to get another fern leaf dill, it didn't survive the transplant to the raised bed last year. And my pineapple sage did amazing last year, but they don't winter over here sadly. What does everyone else like to plant and use? Besides the herbs I usually only plant

tomatoes and some squash. I would love to have a large garden this year and even plant corn, I've never done that, it would be fun I think, and the goats might help with clean up in the fall.

I can't wait for my Honeycrisp apple tree to be full again. My husband likes the Granny Smith better (I notice he more severely pruned MY tree back instead of his!). The nectarine never does much as well as the apricot tree. I should replace them with something that would be more happy here maybe. Blueberries would be great and thorn-less blackberries!

Ann

arizonacowgirl@ rocketmail. com

Sunday, March 15, 2009 1:02 PM

@gro ups.com

Re: noobie

Hi, I'm up the hill from Phoenix, so I have snow, too. I just started my herbs inside and I'd start the veggies, too, if I had more room...and less Dachshunds to dig in the dirt. LOL@gro ups.com, "shinobibombay" <shinobibombay@ ...> wrote:>> Howdy Karyn!> I just moved from Phoenix (Cave Creek & T-bird)to Ogden Utah (north of Salt Lake)! Welcome to Vegan Chat!> No cactus, no palm trees... and snow.(brrr) But, I'm getting ready to plant anyway. Lots o' veggies indoors ready to go out. If I was there I would have stuff in the dirt already.> > And I could drink real beer!;p> > Bill- in Utah> > @gro ups.com, Karyn Harding <cowgirrlup35@> wrote:> >> > Hi, I am a newbie to this chat group. I live in Arizona and I am looking forward to being a part of this group.> >>------------ --------- --------- ------To send an email to -unsubscr ibe

Guest guest

That sounds really good - I will definitely have a go. It is traditional here

to plant your potatoes on Good Friday, so I'll probably do mine around then.

Jo

, " shinobibombay " <shinobibombay wrote:

>

> I do this! What works best for me is to just put a potato or two in the window

and let it grow. Then simply put it in the barrel, cover it with a little dirt.

As the plant gets bigger cover it a little more. Just keep putting in a little

dirt everyweek until it is big. In a few months you will have a barel full of

potatoes! I usually get potatoes about the size of my fist. I have a 55gal

plastic barrel sawn in have to make two 25 gal pots. I get abot 10 to 15 lbs

per.

>

> Bill-in Utah

> (very apropo for St Patty's!)

>

> , " heartwerk " <jo.heartwork@> wrote:

> >

> > Yes - I know people who grow potatoes in plastic barrels, so that would be

okay. I have been told that the potatoes are less likely to suffer from the

pests that they can in the ground. Obviously, the crop is limited unless you

have lots of barrels !

> >

> > J

>

Guest guest

Sorry for the slight delay in answering... but our recipe for chai tea.

Ordinary tea

Nutmeg

Cinnamon

Star Anise

Cardamom

Ginger (Fresh or Ground)

Boil water, keep it boiling and add everything except the tea. Make the mix

as strong as you want it, then use the water to make tea as normal...

BB

Peter

-

" heartwerk " <jo.heartwork

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 7:48 AM

> My son and daughter-in-law make a lovely cup of chai tea. Hopefully he

> will post the recipe.

>

> Jo

>

> , " Ann Hall " <arborhall wrote:

>>

>> Me too! I absolutely adore Indian food! It's always a treat for the

>> taste buds with all those exotic spices and flavors.

>> Anyone have a killer recipe for a hot Chai tea?

>> Where does one get cardamon from?

>> I'm a fan of those two wonderful ladies I found on youtube that make the

>> " Show Me The Curry " videos, and also the youtube vahchef!

>> -Ann

>>

>>

>> Mark Herbert

>> Monday, March 16, 2009 4:41 PM

>>

>> Re: Re: noobie

>>

>>

>> I adore indian curries and side dishes, ive been Vegan for 22 years

>> now and i love experimenting with my own versions of " Traditional Indian

>> Cousine " I would say ive eaten at least one curry a week for the last 22

>> years and each one tastes as good if not better than the last, I live in

>> South Devon and we have hundreds of Indian Restaurants and takeaways, so

>> its never a problem to eat out too as most of the food is vegan and in

>> one place i use my favorite is also organic, even the oils and

>> spices...mmmmmmmmmm....

>>

>> --- On Mon, 16/3/09, Arizona Cowgirl <arizonacowgirl wrote:

>>

>>

>> Arizona Cowgirl <arizonacowgirl

>> Re: Re: noobie

>>

>> Monday, 16 March, 2009, 11:28 PM

>>

>>

>> Me too! I love Indian curries now and Thai food is to die

>> for....I used to be afraid of it....I think I was mainly afraid of the

>> meat though, I assumed they used the most nasty parts in foreign foods

>> because they were cheaper..... .I didnt even like meat as a kid and used

>> to pick it out of my food..drove my mom nuts...admittedly it was a short

>> drive, but I still think I added to it...

>>

>> As soon as I moved out of my parents home at 17 I realized I

>> didnt have to eat meat any more! !

>>

>> Since then I realized I dont have to worry about mystery meats

>> in foods...its so much better! new dishes aren't scary any more...

>>

>>

>> (except seitan)

>>

>>

>> I bought some once but it was so weird looking to me that I threw

>> it out.

>>

>> I did eat some Indian cheese once though cuz I thought it was

>> tofu...a small vegan slip.

>>

>> Karyn

>>

>>

>>

>> ------

>> shinobibombay <shinobibombay@ >

>> @gro ups.com

>> Monday, March 16, 2009 11:15:42 AM

>> Re: noobie

>>

>>

>> Ditto here! I have had more exotic foods foriegn dishes than I

>> knew existed! (I feel so international! :P

>>

>> Bill-in Utah

>>

>> @gro ups.com, " jo.heartwork " <jo.heartwork@

>> ...> wrote:

>> >

>> > I have found cooking more enjoyable since giving up meat etc. I

>> used to hate it. I can't say I'm extra keen now, but sometimes I enjoy

>> it.

>> >

>> > Jo

>> >

>> > -

>> > arizonacowgirl@ ...

>> > @gro ups.com

>> > Monday, March 16, 2009 12:14 AM

>> > Re: noobie

>> >

>> >

>> > Your son is 100% correct. There were so many veg/vegan

>> restaurants in California that I got somewhat spoiled. I know in the

>> bigger cities in Arizona they have a few very nice veg restaurants, too,

>> but I am in a small town in north central Arizona, so not much in the way

>> of veg places here.

>> >

>> > The only thing in my favor is its considered a tourist or

>> resort area, so the restaurants do try to accomodate your needs. A few of

>> the small local places now keep vegan " burgers " in their freezers for me

>> and offer roasted veggie sandwiches. Small steps that mean a lot to me

>> and I let them know how much I appreciate it.

>> >

>> > I love cooking, so I don't mind not having a lot of veg

>> friendly restaurants, but its nice for the occasional treat.

>> >

>> > I am eagerly awaiting the summer so that I can enjoy the

>> Farmer's Markets!

>> >

>> > Karyn

>> >

>> > @gro ups.com, " jo.heartwork "

>> <jo.heartwork@ > wrote:

>> > >

>> > > Hi Karyn

>> > >

>> > > I've never been to merica, but my son says that when he went

>> to California there were a lot of veggie/vegan restaurants. He found it

>> easy to eat out there.

>> > >

>> > > I'm in southern England, between two small villages. It is

>> quite easy to be veggie/vegan, but we have to travel a little way for the

>> restaurants.

>> > >

>> > > Jo

>> > >

>> > > -

>> > > arizonacowgirl@

>> > > @gro ups.com

>> > > Sunday, March 15, 2009 8:00 PM

>> > > Re: noobie

>> > >

>> > >

>> > > @gro ups.com, " jo.heartwork "

>> <jo.heartwork@ > wrote:

>> > > >Hi, sorry for the delay I had to use a different email

>> account..

>> > >

>> > > I have to say it was a lot easier as a veg*n in California,

>> but its still totally do-able here.

>> > >

>> > > I find that I eat much cleaner here since I don't have access

>> to as many processed foods.

>> > >

>> > > I do miss the vegan restaurants though and the fresh produce

>> all year round.

>> > >

>> > > ..the trade off is that I have no smog here and that has to

>> be good!

>> > >

>> > > Karyn

>> > >

>> > > > Hi Karyn

>> > > >

>> > > > Welcome to Vegan Chat. Please join in whenever you like.

>> What is like to be a vegan in Arizona?

>> > > >

>> > > > Jo

>> > > >

>> > > > -

>> > > > Karyn Harding

>> > > > @gro ups.com

>> > > > Sunday, March 15, 2009 12:23 AM

>> > > > noobie

>> > > >

>> > > >

>> > > >

>> > > > Hi, I am a newbie to this chat group. I live in Arizona and

>> I am looking forward to being a part of this group.

>> > > >

>> > >

>> >

>>

>

>

>

>

> ---

>

> To send an email to

> -! Groups Links

>

>

>

Guest guest

I'm going to try just one barrel this year, it will be fun anyway!

Ann

heartwerk

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 12:34 AM

Yes - I know people who grow potatoes in plastic barrels, so that would be okay. I have been told that the potatoes are less likely to suffer from the pests that they can in the ground. Obviously, the crop is limited unless you have lots of barrels !Jo , "Ann Hall" <arborhall wrote:>> Oh I like that idea, potatoes in a barrel! Could I use a very large plastic pot instead? Or would that not breath enough? I wish we could start already, but not quite ready up here yet!> Ann> > > > > > > > > > > > heartwerk > Tuesday, March 17, 2009 12:40 AM> > Re: noobie> > > I'm not much of a vegetable gardener - although we plan to grow more of our own veggies when we retire in around 4 years time.> > I have mint, parsley, chives, oregano, thyme, rosemary, bay and lavender. I usually grow tomatoes with varying success, and last year grew some yellow wax beans which were good, and some bell peppers. This year I want to have a go at runner beans and also potatoes in a barrel.> > Jo> > , "arborhall" <arborhall@> wrote:> >> > Still too cold up here in the Pacific NW to start planting, but some of my herbs do great winter-ing over. I love my lemon thyme! Not only is it pretty, it tastes good. I have some chives, and some winter savory, and a regular thyme. Inside I have my variegated society garlic and some oregano (I always forget what kind, it's a succulent and can't stay out over winter, smells heavenly in the house if you brush up against it, grows like a weed). I have some catnip mint for the cats and peppermint and spearmint for me. My fennel lived through the winter, too! I want to get another fern leaf dill, it didn't survive the transplant to the raised bed last year. And my pineapple sage did amazing last year, but they don't winter over here sadly. What does everyone else like to plant and use? > > Besides the herbs I usually only plant tomatoes and some squash. I would love to have a large garden this year and even plant corn, I've never done that, it would be fun I think, and the goats might help with clean up in the fall.> > I can't wait for my Honeycrisp apple tree to be full again. My husband likes the Granny Smith better (I notice he more severely pruned MY tree back instead of his!). The nectarine never does much as well as the apricot tree. I should replace them with something that would be more happy here maybe. Blueberries would be great and thorn-less blackberries! > > Ann> > > > > > arizonacowgirl@ > > Sunday, March 15, 2009 1:02 PM> > > > Re: noobie> > > > > > Hi, I'm up the hill from Phoenix, so I have snow, too. > > > > I just started my herbs inside and I'd start the veggies, too, if I had more room...and less Dachshunds to dig in the dirt. LOL> > > > > > , "shinobibombay" <shinobibombay@> wrote:> > >> > > Howdy Karyn!> > > I just moved from Phoenix (Cave Creek & T-bird)to Ogden Utah (north of Salt Lake)! Welcome to Vegan Chat!> > > No cactus, no palm trees... and snow.(brrr) But, I'm getting ready to plant anyway. Lots o' veggies indoors ready to go out. If I was there I would have stuff in the dirt already.> > > > > > And I could drink real beer!;p> > > > > > Bill- in Utah> > > > > > , Karyn Harding <cowgirrlup35@> wrote:> > > >> > > > Hi, I am a newbie to this chat group. I live in Arizona and I am looking forward to being a part of this group.> > > >> > >> > > > > > > > > > ---> > > > To send an email to -@! Groups Links> >> > > > > ---> > To send an email to -! Groups Links>---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>

Guest guest

Do you cut the seed potato apart by it's "eyes" or do you just put the whole one into the ground? I've never grown potatoes, this will be FUN!Ann

shinobibombay

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 6:45 AM

I do this! What works best for me is to just put a potato or two in the window and let it grow. Then simply put it in the barrel, cover it with a little dirt. As the plant gets bigger cover it a little more. Just keep putting in a little dirt everyweek until it is big. In a few months you will have a barel full of potatoes! I usually get potatoes about the size of my fist. I have a 55gal plastic barrel sawn in have to make two 25 gal pots. I get abot 10 to 15 lbs per.Bill-in Utah(very apropo for St Patty's!) , "heartwerk" <jo.heartwork wrote:>> Yes - I know people who grow potatoes in plastic barrels, so that would be okay. I have been told that the potatoes are less likely to suffer from the pests that they can in the ground. Obviously, the crop is limited unless you have lots of barrels !> > J---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>

Guest guest

Oh thank you so very much! Now I must hunt down some cardamom and star anise! I'm a real ginger "freak" so I do have that, and nutmeg and cinnamon.

I could drink chai tea every day!

Ann

Peter

Thursday, March 19, 2009 7:32 AM

Re: Re: noobie

Sorry for the slight delay in answering... but our recipe for chai tea.Ordinary teaNutmegCinnamonStar AniseCardamomGinger (Fresh or Ground)Boil water, keep it boiling and add everything except the tea. Make the mix as strong as you want it, then use the water to make tea as normal...BBPeter- "heartwerk" <jo.heartworkTuesday, March 17, 2009 7:48 AM Re: noobie> My son and daughter-in-law make a lovely cup of chai tea. Hopefully he > will post the recipe.>> Jo>> , "Ann Hall" <arborhall wrote:>>>> Me too! I absolutely adore Indian food! It's always a treat for the >> taste buds with all those exotic spices and flavors.>> Anyone have a killer recipe for a hot Chai tea?>> Where does one get cardamon from?>> I'm a fan of those two wonderful ladies I found on youtube that make the >> "Show Me The Curry" videos, and also the youtube vahchef!>> -Ann>>>>>> Mark Herbert>> Monday, March 16, 2009 4:41 PM>> >> Re: Re: noobie>>>>>> I adore indian curries and side dishes, ive been Vegan for 22 years >> now and i love experimenting with my own versions of "Traditional Indian >> Cousine" I would say ive eaten at least one curry a week for the last 22 >> years and each one tastes as good if not better than the last, I live in >> South Devon and we have hundreds of Indian Restaurants and takeaways, so >> its never a problem to eat out too as most of the food is vegan and in >> one place i use my favorite is also organic, even the oils and >> spices...mmmmmmmmmm....>>>> --- On Mon, 16/3/09, Arizona Cowgirl <arizonacowgirl wrote:>>>>>> Arizona Cowgirl <arizonacowgirl>> Re: Re: noobie>> >> Monday, 16 March, 2009, 11:28 PM>>>>>> Me too! I love Indian curries now and Thai food is to die >> for....I used to be afraid of it....I think I was mainly afraid of the >> meat though, I assumed they used the most nasty parts in foreign foods >> because they were cheaper..... .I didnt even like meat as a kid and used >> to pick it out of my food..drove my mom nuts...admittedly it was a short >> drive, but I still think I added to it...>>>> As soon as I moved out of my parents home at 17 I realized I >> didnt have to eat meat any more! !>>>> Since then I realized I dont have to worry about mystery meats >> in foods...its so much better! new dishes aren't scary any more...>>>>>> (except seitan)>>>>>> I bought some once but it was so weird looking to me that I threw >> it out.>>>> I did eat some Indian cheese once though cuz I thought it was >> tofu...a small vegan slip.>>>> Karyn>>>>>>>> ------>> shinobibombay <shinobibombay@ >>> @gro ups.com>> Monday, March 16, 2009 11:15:42 AM>> Re: noobie>>>>>> Ditto here! I have had more exotic foods foriegn dishes than I >> knew existed! (I feel so international! :P>>>> Bill-in Utah>>>> @gro ups.com, "jo.heartwork" <jo.heartwork@ >> ...> wrote:>> >>> > I have found cooking more enjoyable since giving up meat etc. I >> used to hate it. I can't say I'm extra keen now, but sometimes I enjoy >> it.>> >>> > Jo>> >>> > - >> > arizonacowgirl@ ....>> > @gro ups.com>> > Monday, March 16, 2009 12:14 AM>> > Re: noobie>> >>> >>> > Your son is 100% correct. There were so many veg/vegan >> restaurants in California that I got somewhat spoiled. I know in the >> bigger cities in Arizona they have a few very nice veg restaurants, too, >> but I am in a small town in north central Arizona, so not much in the way >> of veg places here.>> >>> > The only thing in my favor is its considered a tourist or >> resort area, so the restaurants do try to accomodate your needs. A few of >> the small local places now keep vegan "burgers" in their freezers for me >> and offer roasted veggie sandwiches. Small steps that mean a lot to me >> and I let them know how much I appreciate it.>> >>> > I love cooking, so I don't mind not having a lot of veg >> friendly restaurants, but its nice for the occasional treat.>> >>> > I am eagerly awaiting the summer so that I can enjoy the >> Farmer's Markets!>> >>> > Karyn>> >>> > @gro ups.com, "jo.heartwork" >> <jo.heartwork@ > wrote:>> > >>> > > Hi Karyn>> > >>> > > I've never been to merica, but my son says that when he went >> to California there were a lot of veggie/vegan restaurants. He found it >> easy to eat out there.>> > >>> > > I'm in southern England, between two small villages. It is >> quite easy to be veggie/vegan, but we have to travel a little way for the >> restaurants.>> > >>> > > Jo>> > >>> > > - >> > > arizonacowgirl@>> > > @gro ups.com>> > > Sunday, March 15, 2009 8:00 PM>> > > Re: noobie>> > >>> > >>> > > @gro ups.com, "jo.heartwork" >> <jo.heartwork@ > wrote:>> > > >Hi, sorry for the delay I had to use a different email >> account..>> > >>> > > I have to say it was a lot easier as a veg*n in California, >> but its still totally do-able here.>> > >>> > > I find that I eat much cleaner here since I don't have access >> to as many processed foods.>> > >>> > > I do miss the vegan restaurants though and the fresh produce >> all year round.>> > >>> > > ..the trade off is that I have no smog here and that has to >> be good!>> > >>> > > Karyn>> > >>> > > > Hi Karyn>> > > >>> > > > Welcome to Vegan Chat. Please join in whenever you like. >> What is like to be a vegan in Arizona?>> > > >>> > > > Jo>> > > >>> > > > - >> > > > Karyn Harding>> > > > @gro ups.com>> > > > Sunday, March 15, 2009 12:23 AM>> > > > noobie>> > > >>> > > >>> > > >>> > > > Hi, I am a newbie to this chat group. I live in Arizona and >> I am looking forward to being a part of this group.>> > > >>> > >>> >>>>>>>> --->> To send an email to > -! Groups Links>>>---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>

Guest guest

Either/or.

It doesn't really matter. You get a few more plants if tou cut the tater into

peices. The potato itself will go away and form roots as it uses up the tuber

for food. Then it will grow new ones.

It IS fun! and EASY, too.

Bill-in Utah

, " Ann Hall " <arborhall wrote:

>

> Do you cut the seed potato apart by it's " eyes " or do you just put the whole

one into the ground? I've never grown potatoes, this will be FUN!

> Ann

>

>

> shinobibombay

> Wednesday, March 18, 2009 6:45 AM

>

> Re: noobie

>

>

> I do this! What works best for me is to just put a potato or two in the window

potatoes! I usually get potatoes about the size of my fist. I have a 55gal

plastic barrel sawn in have to make two 25 gal pots. I get abot 10 to 15 lbs

per.

>

> Bill-in Utah

> (very apropo for St Patty's!)

>

> , " heartwerk " <jo.heartwork@> wrote:

> >

> > Yes - I know people who grow potatoes in plastic barrels, so that would be

have lots of barrels !

> >

> > J

>

>

>

> ---

>

> To send an email to -! Groups Links

>

Guest guest

Thanks Peter

I will have a go at that as soon as I get some star anise.

Jo

, " Peter " <metalscarab wrote:

>

> Sorry for the slight delay in answering... but our recipe for chai tea.

>

> Ordinary tea

> Nutmeg

> Cinnamon

> Star Anise

> Cardamom

> Ginger (Fresh or Ground)

>

> Boil water, keep it boiling and add everything except the tea. Make the mix

> as strong as you want it, then use the water to make tea as normal...

>

> BB

> Peter

>

>

> -

> " heartwerk " <jo.heartwork

>

> Tuesday, March 17, 2009 7:48 AM

>

>

> > My son and daughter-in-law make a lovely cup of chai tea. Hopefully he

> > will post the recipe.

> >

> > Jo

> >

> > , " Ann Hall " <arborhall@> wrote:

> >>

> >> Me too! I absolutely adore Indian food! It's always a treat for the

> >> taste buds with all those exotic spices and flavors.

> >> Anyone have a killer recipe for a hot Chai tea?

> >> Where does one get cardamon from?

> >> I'm a fan of those two wonderful ladies I found on youtube that make the

> >> " Show Me The Curry " videos, and also the youtube vahchef!

> >> -Ann

> >>

> >>

> >> Mark Herbert

> >> Monday, March 16, 2009 4:41 PM

> >>

> >> Re: Re: noobie

> >>

> >>

> >> I adore indian curries and side dishes, ive been Vegan for 22 years

> >> now and i love experimenting with my own versions of " Traditional Indian

> >> Cousine " I would say ive eaten at least one curry a week for the last 22

> >> years and each one tastes as good if not better than the last, I live in

> >> South Devon and we have hundreds of Indian Restaurants and takeaways, so

> >> its never a problem to eat out too as most of the food is vegan and in

> >> one place i use my favorite is also organic, even the oils and

> >> spices...mmmmmmmmmm....

> >>

> >> --- On Mon, 16/3/09, Arizona Cowgirl <arizonacowgirl@> wrote:

> >>

> >>

> >> Arizona Cowgirl <arizonacowgirl@>

> >> Re: Re: noobie

> >>

> >> Monday, 16 March, 2009, 11:28 PM

> >>

> >>

> >> Me too! I love Indian curries now and Thai food is to die

> >> for....I used to be afraid of it....I think I was mainly afraid of the

> >> meat though, I assumed they used the most nasty parts in foreign foods

> >> because they were cheaper..... .I didnt even like meat as a kid and used

> >> to pick it out of my food..drove my mom nuts...admittedly it was a short

> >> drive, but I still think I added to it...

> >>

> >> As soon as I moved out of my parents home at 17 I realized I

> >> didnt have to eat meat any more! !

> >>

> >> Since then I realized I dont have to worry about mystery meats

> >> in foods...its so much better! new dishes aren't scary any more...

> >>

> >>

> >> (except seitan)

> >>

> >>

> >> I bought some once but it was so weird looking to me that I threw

> >> it out.

> >>

> >> I did eat some Indian cheese once though cuz I thought it was

> >> tofu...a small vegan slip.

> >>

> >> Karyn

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >> ------

> >> shinobibombay <shinobibombay@ >

> >> @gro ups.com

> >> Monday, March 16, 2009 11:15:42 AM

> >> Re: noobie

> >>

> >>

> >> Ditto here! I have had more exotic foods foriegn dishes than I

> >> knew existed! (I feel so international! :P

> >>

> >> Bill-in Utah

> >>

> >> @gro ups.com, " jo.heartwork " <jo.heartwork@

> >> ...> wrote:

> >> >

> >> > I have found cooking more enjoyable since giving up meat etc. I

> >> used to hate it. I can't say I'm extra keen now, but sometimes I enjoy

> >> it.

> >> >

> >> > Jo

> >> >

> >> > -

> >> > arizonacowgirl@ ...

> >> > @gro ups.com

> >> > Monday, March 16, 2009 12:14 AM

> >> > Re: noobie

> >> >

> >> >

> >> > Your son is 100% correct. There were so many veg/vegan

> >> restaurants in California that I got somewhat spoiled. I know in the

> >> bigger cities in Arizona they have a few very nice veg restaurants, too,

> >> but I am in a small town in north central Arizona, so not much in the way

> >> of veg places here.

> >> >

> >> > The only thing in my favor is its considered a tourist or

> >> resort area, so the restaurants do try to accomodate your needs. A few of

> >> the small local places now keep vegan " burgers " in their freezers for me

> >> and offer roasted veggie sandwiches. Small steps that mean a lot to me

> >> and I let them know how much I appreciate it.

> >> >

> >> > I love cooking, so I don't mind not having a lot of veg

> >> friendly restaurants, but its nice for the occasional treat.

> >> >

> >> > I am eagerly awaiting the summer so that I can enjoy the

> >> Farmer's Markets!

> >> >

> >> > Karyn

> >> >

> >> > @gro ups.com, " jo.heartwork "

> >> <jo.heartwork@ > wrote:

> >> > >

> >> > > Hi Karyn

> >> > >

> >> > > I've never been to merica, but my son says that when he went

> >> to California there were a lot of veggie/vegan restaurants. He found it

> >> easy to eat out there.

> >> > >

> >> > > I'm in southern England, between two small villages. It is

> >> quite easy to be veggie/vegan, but we have to travel a little way for the

> >> restaurants.

> >> > >

> >> > > Jo

> >> > >

> >> > > -

> >> > > arizonacowgirl@

> >> > > @gro ups.com

> >> > > Sunday, March 15, 2009 8:00 PM

> >> > > Re: noobie

> >> > >

> >> > >

> >> > > @gro ups.com, " jo.heartwork "

> >> <jo.heartwork@ > wrote:

> >> > > >Hi, sorry for the delay I had to use a different email

> >> account..

> >> > >

> >> > > I have to say it was a lot easier as a veg*n in California,

> >> but its still totally do-able here.

> >> > >

> >> > > I find that I eat much cleaner here since I don't have access

> >> to as many processed foods.

> >> > >

> >> > > I do miss the vegan restaurants though and the fresh produce

> >> all year round.

> >> > >

> >> > > ..the trade off is that I have no smog here and that has to

> >> be good!

> >> > >

> >> > > Karyn

> >> > >

> >> > > > Hi Karyn

> >> > > >

> >> > > > Welcome to Vegan Chat. Please join in whenever you like.

> >> What is like to be a vegan in Arizona?

> >> > > >

> >> > > > Jo

> >> > > >

> >> > > > -

> >> > > > Karyn Harding

> >> > > > @gro ups.com

> >> > > > Sunday, March 15, 2009 12:23 AM

> >> > > > noobie

> >> > > >

> >> > > >

> >> > > >

> >> > > > Hi, I am a newbie to this chat group. I live in Arizona and

> >> I am looking forward to being a part of this group.

> >> > > >

> >> > >

> >> >

> >>

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > ---

> >

> > To send an email to

> > -! Groups Links

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

That's what I thought I would do. We'll have to let each other know how it

goes.

Jo

, " Ann Hall " <arborhall wrote:

>

> I'm going to try just one barrel this year, it will be fun anyway!

> Ann

>

>

> heartwerk

> Wednesday, March 18, 2009 12:34 AM

>

>

>

> Yes - I know people who grow potatoes in plastic barrels, so that would be

have lots of barrels !

>

> Jo

>

> , " Ann Hall " <arborhall@> wrote:

> >

> > Oh I like that idea, potatoes in a barrel! Could I use a very large plastic

pot instead? Or would that not breath enough? I wish we could start already,

but not quite ready up here yet!

> > Ann

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > heartwerk

> > Tuesday, March 17, 2009 12:40 AM

> >

> > Re: noobie

> >

> >

> > I'm not much of a vegetable gardener - although we plan to grow more of our

own veggies when we retire in around 4 years time.

> >

> > I have mint, parsley, chives, oregano, thyme, rosemary, bay and lavender. I

usually grow tomatoes with varying success, and last year grew some yellow wax

beans which were good, and some bell peppers. This year I want to have a go at

runner beans and also potatoes in a barrel.

> >

> > Jo

> >

> > , " arborhall " <arborhall@> wrote:

> > >

> > > Still too cold up here in the Pacific NW to start planting, but some of my

herbs do great winter-ing over. I love my lemon thyme! Not only is it pretty, it

tastes good. I have some chives, and some winter savory, and a regular thyme.

Inside I have my variegated society garlic and some oregano (I always forget

what kind, it's a succulent and can't stay out over winter, smells heavenly in

the house if you brush up against it, grows like a weed). I have some catnip

mint for the cats and peppermint and spearmint for me. My fennel lived through

the winter, too! I want to get another fern leaf dill, it didn't survive the

transplant to the raised bed last year. And my pineapple sage did amazing last

year, but they don't winter over here sadly. What does everyone else like to

plant and use?

> > > Besides the herbs I usually only plant tomatoes and some squash. I would

love to have a large garden this year and even plant corn, I've never done that,

it would be fun I think, and the goats might help with clean up in the fall.

> > > I can't wait for my Honeycrisp apple tree to be full again. My husband

likes the Granny Smith better (I notice he more severely pruned MY tree back

instead of his!). The nectarine never does much as well as the apricot tree. I

should replace them with something that would be more happy here maybe.

Blueberries would be great and thorn-less blackberries!

> > > Ann

> > >

> > >

> > > arizonacowgirl@

> > > Sunday, March 15, 2009 1:02 PM

> > >

> > > Re: noobie

> > >

> > >

> > > Hi, I'm up the hill from Phoenix, so I have snow, too.

> > >

> > > I just started my herbs inside and I'd start the veggies, too, if I had

more room...and less Dachshunds to dig in the dirt. LOL

> > >

> > >

> > > , " shinobibombay " <shinobibombay@> wrote:

> > > >

> > > > Howdy Karyn!

> > > > I just moved from Phoenix (Cave Creek & T-bird)to Ogden Utah (north of

Salt Lake)! Welcome to Vegan Chat!

> > > > No cactus, no palm trees... and snow.(brrr) But, I'm getting ready to

plant anyway. Lots o' veggies indoors ready to go out. If I was there I would

have stuff in the dirt already.

> > > >

> > > > And I could drink real beer!;p

> > > >

> > > > Bill- in Utah

> > > >

> > > > , Karyn Harding <cowgirrlup35@> wrote:

> > > > >

> > > > > Hi, I am a newbie to this chat group. I live in Arizona and I am

looking forward to being a part of this group.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > ---

> > >

> > > To send an email to -@! Groups Links

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > ---

> >

> > To send an email to -@! Groups Links

> >

>

>

>

>

> ---

>

> To send an email to -! Groups Links

>

Guest guest

Wow. that's really cool. I never knew you could do that.

I would like to try that in the future.

, " shinobibombay " <shinobibombay wrote:

>

potatoes!